Old 06-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I just got a prompt reply from Dave Schumann regarding the "molding" separation. He says "...the metal behind the rubrail overlaps and is sealed. Water should not be a problem" That makes me feel better, at least about the potential for water getting in there.

I've also been to the plant a couple times and seen the sealer that is applied to the inside of the trailers that you're talking about. As you know, any time there's a seam there's also added potential for water getting into it, no matter how careful one is in manufacturing.

We are taking our trailer to Jackson Center on June 30 to get some of the repairs done. Then, my wife and I are off into the wild blue yonder (MT, ID, WY BC, Canada, and where ever the fishing is good, the water cold, and the air crisp and clear) for the better part of the rest of the summer.

John

Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #394
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Second Warranty Round

Is this a normal 18 month warranty issue list?

Once again, am working with North Dallas RV. They have the list, and they will begin work next week.

With all the experience on this site, will this list start to drop, or do I need some form of extended warranty?

This could get really expensive if I had to repair all this each year.

73/gus

1. Steps Ė channel bent and skin needs a rivet
2. Shower continues to leak. It seeps out onto the bathroom floor from the shower corner nearest the master door.
3. Replace flooring - cut prior to delivery. Just now have time for replacement.
4. Hot water tank leaking directly from heater unit.
5. Fresh water tank not holding water. Can't see leak point.
6. Front curb stabilizer needs replacing - threaded rod out of round.
7. Excessive vibration on curb front wheel. Causes odd tire wear and Door hinge pin still working itís way up in transient. it works up 1/2 inch in first hour. Already replaced tire.
8. Large lounge window still difficult to close.
9. Large lounge table knob has pulled out. There is no way to lock into place. This has been a problem in the past. Wonder if AS has come up with an alternative?
10. Need an end piece to the curtain track on the curbside curved lounge window that keeps the curtains from slipping off.
11. Excessive frost build up on front top right area of freezer. This is the same area where the door was bent significantly prior to delivery.
12. Replace broken handle on bathroon vent fan.

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #395
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
9. Large lounge table knob has pulled out. There is no way to lock into place. This has been a problem in the past. Wonder if AS has come up with an alternative?
Gus ...

My knob also pulled out. However, I discovered through this forum that you should travel with the table in the "up" position. The Owners Manual also recommends this.

I believe the knob on my table pulled out after towing with the table in the "down" position. Too much vibration and/or movement for that cheap little piece of plastic. Actually, I blame the type of screw used and the type of "wood" for the table.

Having said that ... if one should tow with the table deployed in the up position ... why bother with that knob anyway? It really serves no purpose.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:37 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Wow. Thanks on the table info. I missed that in the manual.
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #397
3 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=gklott]Is this a normal 18 month warranty issue list?

Gus; can't help but wonder why you ever took posession of this trailer. My God, man, turn it back in as a lemon. AS should buy it back.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Gus,

I have the same model and year. When did you take delivery? Mine was built in Febuary during a slow time so I think that is the reason for the less CQ problems I have had compared to others say flyfisher. And my list is, thank god, much shorter than yours.

I find your vibration issue to be horrifying. How bad that vibration must be to push up the door pin up, I can't imagine. Do your sodas explode upon opening?

I can't think of the knob you and Porky are refering to on the lounge table. I always travel with it in the down position with no problems but I have stuff on the ground blocking it from opening. But what knob?

I have had trouble with various windows in getting them to clamp down. But the clamps are adjustable from the outside and that's all fixed.

The only things on my list:

1. The sensor on the gray tank just went out at the end of a 7 week trip. The propane light panel has not worked right for awhile. The gauges on the tanks are working, though.

2. The toilet foot pedal leaked once on the trip when pressing the pedal but has't happened in three weeks since during heavy use. Go figure? I guess the leaky seal re-sealed itself and is working for now.

After re-reading this thread, I feel very fortunate to have such a small list. I had a guardian angel, by the name of Mitch, follow my unit through the production line checking on it and taking pics for me everyday. I have some of the factory workers in my pics. That must have made them be extra careful with my baby.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #399
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We've used our Safari now for well over 2000 miles this past season.

So far our list of items has somewhat remained as static since we took delivery. I was thinking the other day, that Airstream should have at a min, a 3-5 year warranty like most auto makers. I mean if the coach is as good as they say, an additional year or so would make no difference right? It would however be another thing that would make the coach stand out among other RVs. Of course, what I'd really like to see the old days brought back where the orig owner has a lifetime warranty.

At any rate, Gus, I know you worked with the factory at the beginning, but have you spoken with them since? Given the growth of your list, I can clearly see the lemon laws starting to form here (provided you kept records of repairs that could not be fixed). You have a beautiful coach, but just seems loaded with problems. At some point, you as the customer seem to have this second life called Airstream repair. Granted things are going to happen, but from the sound of your ongoing saga, I gotta tell ya, if it is as long and as bad as you say, that is NO way for a consumer to have to live with a product. If it were your car or your TV, I am sure you'd have a different take on it. At some point, something has got to give as this is just too much IMHO for even the boldest Airstreamer. Call the factory.

BTW, here is a shameless plug for the same type of thread, but for the 2005s.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=track+quality
Old 09-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #400
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Is this a normal 18 month warranty issue list?

[snip]

2. Shower continues to leak. It seeps out onto the bathroom floor from the shower corner nearest the master door.

[snip]
Our shower also leaks (may be fixed - we'll soon see...). It generally showed up at the floor corner just forward of the shower door, but was sometimes bad enough that it ran along the floor in front of the entire width of the shower.

We took it to the dealer for warranty repairs, and they have installed clear seal/caulking along all seams (mainly to the left and right of the door, top to bottom) and caulked where the top and bottom part of the shower fit together. I believe that if it leaks now, it must be coming from the plumbing behind the shower. I doubt that, though.

It appers to me that there was no caulking at all in those seams before the repair, but it's really too late to tell now. The repair guys did an ok job installing the seal, but some of it shows on the edges of the seam. Even though it's hardly noticeable, it bugs me that if they'd done it right in the first place, we wouldn't have worry about the slightly rough extra caulk being a breeding ground for mold and algae.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 AM   #401

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
11. Excessive frost build up on front top right area of freezer. This is the same area where the door was bent significantly prior to delivery.
12. Replace broken handle on bathroon vent fan.
Gus, the shower area seems to be prone to leaks. Both Airstreams I have owned had this problem new. On my Classic the seeping on the floor ended up to be the lower door frame cap. From the inside the shower my dealer ran a bead of silicone that they forced under the cap. That stopped the floor leak.

Your frost build up shows that that door is still not fitting correctly. If they replaced the door, I wonder if the door hinge is also bent?

That broken handle on the bathroom vent fan is typical of that model fan. I had one like it on my Hi-Lo and it broke in the middle. I've learned to push it up and pull it down with two hands, one on each side of handle so the force is not placed in the center of that pull bar. That's the weak point and over time, that's where they break.

At this point I have 2 flaws that I need to have addressed. One is replacement of the curtains on one of the windows (mismatched velcro tabs), and the more serious problem of replacement of the front pocket door the separates the bathroom and the kitchen area. There is a screw protruding deep within the storage pocket that has scratched the door when it slides open or closed.

Keep us posted on your issues.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #402
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Gus, the shower area seems to be prone to leaks. Both Airstreams I have owned had this problem new. On my Classic the seeping on the floor ended up to be the lower door frame cap. From the inside the shower my dealer ran a bead of silicone that they forced under the cap. That stopped the floor leak.

[snip]

Jack
Jack:

I'm not sure what you mean by "lower door frame cap"?

Our shower has a brass frame that surrounds the opening. At the bottom, there is a "threshold" piece, that is atop a plastic "flap" that extends downward on the inside of the shower enclosure about an inch or so. We have caulked around the screws that hold the "threshold" piece to the shower and under the threshold. Is this the area you were talking about?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 AM   #403
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
2. The toilet foot pedal leaked once on the trip when pressing the pedal but has't happened in three weeks since during heavy use.
Heavy use? That's more than we want to know ... but lay off the bran muffins anyway.

Big Dee ... the "knob" is actually the the male portion of the catch that is supposed to secure the table ... it snaps into the female portion located on the credenza. I think Gus called it a knob because ... well, it looks like one.

Gus ... keep talking with the factory. Have you spoke with Jim Parrett? He has been extremely helpful in resolving some issues with me.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #404
2 Rivet Member

Since this subject of quality control has come up again I'll throw in my "almost annual" report on my 04 16cc Bam. Actually won't be a yr. old until mid Nov. I think I finally have the bugs worked out. Looking back over all the many things I fixed I have come to the conclusion the factory needs to do so serious house cleaning of employees. 99 percent of all my problems were related to assembly and what I call obvious defects. It's understandable for some things that are not visible to slip by, a wire getting pinched in a wall, a plug connector not completely snapped together etc. But the things I had to deal with were so obvious thats it's obvous that the workers there don't care . If they do they are so incompetent they should be run off anyway.The latest and just as an example of the MANY like problems was a water leak from the roof I just fixed. Seems they had alignment problems of some kind when they were putting the top sheet of roofing on. There were 3 holes drilled through the outer layer only. then they moved over a half a rivet hole and install the rivets. They never bothered tho seal the open holes, just left them open to the weather. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it will leak if left open. If this was the only problem I had I would write it off as a simple mistake but the entire unit was like this from front to back. My only conclusion is the WORKERS at the factory JUST DON"T CARE !!!!! The people at the factory were very nice and said they would be glad to take care of any and all problems which is nice but I question why we should have to have a unit REMANUFACTURED. This is the 8th RV I have owned over the years and it has had more things wrong with it than all the others combined. My advice to anyone looking to buy an airstream if you're not prepared to deal with these types of problems look for another brand. Am convinced there will be no improvements until such time money tightens up or sales drop off. There are no insentives for them to improve as long as people are standing in line to buy their products in this condition.--Pieman
Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #405

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins
Jack:

I'm not sure what you mean by "lower door frame cap"?

Our shower has a brass frame that surrounds the opening. At the bottom, there is a "threshold" piece, that is atop a plastic "flap" that extends downward on the inside of the shower enclosure about an inch or so. We have caulked around the screws that hold the "threshold" piece to the shower and under the threshold. Is this the area you were talking about?

Thanks.
Yes we are talking about the same area. I probably should have said threshold. In our trailer there was a small gap between that ran along the length threshold and the inside shower enclosure. I didn't remember seeing a plastic "flap" but it could have been there. During a dealer rally the service person came to our trailer and pointed out that that area is a common leak point. Water splashes upwards and gets under the threshold from the inside. I watched him caulk that and once it was done, we had no further problems that weekend with that leak so he was correct in his diagnosis.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins
Our shower also leaks (may be fixed - we'll soon see...). It generally showed up at the floor corner just forward of the shower door, but was sometimes bad enough that it ran along the floor in front of the entire width of the shower.

We took it to the dealer for warranty repairs, and they have installed clear seal/caulking along all seams (mainly to the left and right of the door, top to bottom) and caulked where the top and bottom part of the shower fit together. I believe that if it leaks now, it must be coming from the plumbing behind the shower. I doubt that, though.

It appers to me that there was no caulking at all in those seams before the repair, but it's really too late to tell now. The repair guys did an ok job installing the seal, but some of it shows on the edges of the seam. Even though it's hardly noticeable, it bugs me that if they'd done it right in the first place, we wouldn't have worry about the slightly rough extra caulk being a breeding ground for mold and algae.
Caulking & sealing seem to be an overlooked job in 2004 for the AS production line...especially in the bth/shower area!!

We have your same experience and have had the dealer try to fix this several times with poor results. Ours leaked from what seemed the entire bottom part of the shower. Ultimately we have fixed it ourselves with clear silicone and with an almost perfect outcome, but there's still a small leak in the bottom left corner near the bed.

After reviewing our work we have discovered that the actual screen on the door was mounted crooked, revealing an opening in that corner big enough for water to leak down and under the bth door and all the way to the bed, everytime you take a shower!

We're going back for further warranty repairs already mentioned and still unresolved in this thread. This is on the list too.

Check your door, hopefully it's an easy fix.

Best of luck.