Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A New Challenge-1963 Overlander rehab project

This is a new adventure for us, we recently acquired a 1963 Overlander, trading in our loyal (but small) Argosy 20 for it.
Our saga begins with a chat with a fellow forum member, richardt. I had been looking for a slightly larger trailer for a while now, and he thought he might have one (or two) that he would be willing to be talked out of. I made arrangements to go see the trailer, we loaded up the van, and the Argosy, and away we went.
The Argosy had new tires installed when we put a new axle in it, in October of 2003, the Overlander had last had tires when Jimmy Carter was President . I ordered two Goodyear Marathon tires to install on the Overlander after we arrived, along with the two Cooper Travel-Trac tires from the Argosy.
The fun started a few miles North of Tampa. when I had to stop for traffic congestion. I looked in the mirror, and saw the Argosy bobbling around, up and down, as well as side-to-side. Since the axle came from Henschen at the time of the recall for bearing failure, my first thought was we had lost a bearing. Not so. The belts had separated on both tires, at the same time! Fortunately, we had the two tires earmarked for the Overlander with us, and we were able to limp to a tire store, and get the Marathons installed.
After a two hour delay, we were back on the road, and headed for our overnight stop in Ocala, Florida.
The rest of the trip passed without incident, and we arrived Thursday afternoon.
Friday morning we removed the old tires and wheels to put new tires on the Overlander, and repack the wheel bearings, as well as check the brakes. This particular trailer has electric brakes on both axles, as opposed to one electric and one hydraulic, as found on other trailers of this vintage. I thought the trailer needed axles desperately because of how the wheelwell covered the entire top of the tires, and part of the wheels. It does need axles, but not as badly as I thought. The trailing arms are actually dead level, as opposed to an upturn in the arm that I expected. Something eles I noticed, this trailer has vertical shock absorbers, which was supposed to indicate the trailer came from California, but the straight wheel wells, as well as the VIN badge, say it came from Jackson Center. A mystery, right off the bat...
We got four more Marathons (Goodyear is having a good month becuase of us), and went in search of a shop to remove the 2 5/16" trailer ball the Argosy used, and install a 2" ball for the Overlander. The head we have came with the Argosy, and the ball was installed in 1972, at the time the Argosy was delivered. After trips to several different shops, one was able to finally burn off the bolt holding the ball on, and install the correct (8800#) 2" ball.
Everything was installed, and tested, and we were ready to leave the folowing morning.
The trip home was uneventful, although the first few miles were a bit nerve-wracking, since we are used to absolutely flat, straight road here in Florida, and we were hauling a 5000 pound trailer up winding, steep (5-7% grades), and the trailer was pushing us back down those same grades when we got to the top of the hills.
Now we are starting to tear out the asbestos-laced floor tiles, for replacing with vinyl flooring.
Ongoing projects are, in no particular order-
Patch two small areas of soft wood in the floor, and install vinyl flooring.
Install a dinette or gaucho in the front of the trailer.
Replace the replacement electric only refrigerator with a LP/electric unit.
Repair the old or replace with a new A/C unit.
Install a modern water heater.
Modernize the fresh water plumbing.
Install a grey water tank.
Replace the axles.
Replace the two window regulators on the upper left front window in the living area.
Replace the back bumper.
Remove the Mickey Mouse stabilizers that are on the trailer, and replace with something a little more mainstream.
Replace the skylight in the living area.
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000628.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	12341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000629.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	12342  

Name:	IM000631.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	12343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000633.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	12344  

Name:	IM000634.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000635.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	12346  

Name:	IM000636.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	12347  
Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi
Terry left out a lot of the story, and I'm thinking of writing a book about the full adventure.

We have a ton of work ahead of us, but we will get it done.
Marie
Old 05-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Excellent story

Terry,

Enjoyed the story...I have some from yesterday I will post later today, maybe during lunch from this weekend.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Congratulations !

Another Airstream adventure in the books! Sounds like you had, at least a little, excitement going North

Good luck with your new project. Call if I can help.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Congrats Terry.....

I only had a 5 mile trip to pick up my new to me Argosy 20', from the used car dealer. But I didn't get 5 feet before I had a blow out. It was kinda
a blessing that it blew in the parking lot instead of on the road. The used
car dealer told me that the tires were in great shape. ( I had already ordered new tires and had an appointment for brakes and bearings, thanks to the forum ).
Dare I ask......Are ya gonna miss the Argosy??????????????????
Mandolin Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Terry and Marie

CONGRATULATIONS going from a painted lady to a silver lady along with your adventures sounds pretty exciting.

I know that trailer it is the mobile prison unit (Peter and I nicked named it because of the aluminum screen guards on all the windows.)

We came real close to buying it from Richard (along with the one I think Princess 63 bought from Oklahoma -but I think it was in MO to begin with). Both units had their issues like they all do - but we just had our heart set on getting a 61 and could not get around it - something just said don't do it.

Good think we did not - as not 2 weeks later we got the call offering the 61 that we wanted 8 months earlier.

Well I must say the Overlanders are a very popular unit these last 5 months - lots of forum members have just bought them.....maybe we should set up a working ASOverAS Rally this winter in your neck of the woods - since us northern and eastern seaboard members will need a warm driveway to work on our new toys!

Terry Trust me your list of things to do - is too short it will be at least 4 times that size by the time you finish and where is Marie's list???. Our Globe Trotter was in unbelievably good shape when we got it and the list still keeps going could it be we have become AS perfectionists.

Have fun with your new toy - but remember to get some camping they make a great tin tent during renos - but get the axles done first!

We took your approach as well and it almost cost us our rig - we found out the torsion arms can petrify in a postive % so do not go by the position of the torsion arm - load her up with people and then get under your trailer to have a look at the arms - then call up to them to jump up and down over the axles. You will soon see if the axles are working. We lost a window, and sheared a ton of rivets and all the screws inside came loose - we are lucky the whole interior did not fall apart with the vibration - but being small we did not feel a thing when travelling the I95!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

It was a pleasure meeting the both of you and I am glad to hear your trip home was uneventfull. I am sure the things that went wrong on your adventure will soon be forgotten and be overpowered by new good times with the Overlander!
I am glad to have been able to help get you into what you desired and the little Argosy is starting to really grow on me.
I wish you both the best and hope that you get alot of enjoyment from your new to you 1963.
Richardt in Bat Cave NC

PS What are you gonna name it?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Richard

Thank you and Linda. My nephews loved the shirts I bought them in the store, and I enjoyed my time up there. (Well most of it).

As for my list, read Terry's again. he's outside washing it now, then I start scraping up floor tiles, (Norm i hope to save 4 or 5 for you).

Then I start with the purple stuff, Brillo and elbow grease.

I want all to know, Richard was very nice and true to his word with us.
(he has a couple more A/S's, and the store is a wonderful place to wander in)
We were talking about naming it the silver bat cave, but I kept calling it our silver wagon on the way home, and yes I miss the Argosy, but I think it's upward and onward from here.
Marie
Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Looks like a cool early 60s trailer! Good thing to start with peeling off the flooring--we found that's a great structural barometer. I'd be concerned about the two soft spots--you probably have a detective job ahead to find the causing leaks. Good luck with that.

By the way, the stabilizers are not uncommon in early 60s models. We have it on ours--we love the ease that the stabilizers give to getting an accurate level quickly at camp. It looks like your has an odd, thin tubing replacing the original heavy steel pipe (hence what appears to be "mickey mouse."n hjn If you are interested, I'll try to find pics of my stabilizers, so you can repair instead of removing the ones you have.

Any idea why two tires went out at the same time? That's just wierd, unless it was due to something in the road (nails, etc).

Mary
Old 05-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

did someone say Bat Cave, NC???

Richard, are you really in North Carolina? And have/had a '63 for sale? Wow. WISH I knew of this forum and of the '63 in NC last month, but, it's all well and good. YES, the '63 princess purchased the Oklahoma trailer (I don't think it was ever in Montana-- Carmen, the owner, said it was originally bought in Texas and they've had it in OK ever since). BUT, ya neeeeever know...
Carmen and her husband are bring it to Griffith RV Services in Oakland (which is very cool of them) where a man named Tom (part owner) has been working on Airstream trailers for 28 years.

Hopefully, all he will NEED to do for me at this point is pack the wheel bearings and fix the brakes up. (BTW, it's one electic and one hydraulic brake on the '63s, correct?) Maybe I should have him put on some new Goodyear Marathon tires too.?. Although I plan on it sitting at my place for awhile for remodeling. So maybe it should sit on old tires. HEY, what is the best surface for these trailers to sit on? I was thinking of making a spot with sand and brick, any suggestions?

Tom of Griffith R.V. also provides a service in which he inspects the entire trailer, everything, and makes a "to do" list. It takes about 3-4 hours and he runs $80 an hour. I'm thinking it would be money well spent. Anyone have some thoughts or experience with this type of inspection? In my case, (not an enjoyer of poking around dirty/old wiring and plumbing) it may be worth it. Once I have that list I can begin mine... ordering parts and what not.

We '63-ers need to stay together. I understand parts need to be custom made for us, that they are no longer manufactured. : (

Richard; I'm in Durham NC!!!
'63 princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Looks like a cool early 60s trailer! Good thing to start with peeling off the flooring--we found that's a great structural barometer. I'd be concerned about the two soft spots--you probably have a detective job ahead to find the causing leaks. Good luck with that.

By the way, the stabilizers are not uncommon in early 60s models. We have it on ours--we love the ease that the stabilizers give to getting an accurate level quickly at camp. It looks like your has an odd, thin tubing replacing the original heavy steel pipe (hence what appears to be "mickey mouse."n hjn If you are interested, I'll try to find pics of my stabilizers, so you can repair instead of removing the ones you have.

Any idea why two tires went out at the same time? That's just wierd, unless it was due to something in the road (nails, etc).

Mary
Mary, it looks like the tires were just defective, the belts separated in the tread, causing a massive jump and shimmy while towing. Another mile towing the trailer, and we would have had pieces of tire coming through the wheelwells.
The soft spots in the floor were almost certainly caused by the fact the skylight was missing, allowing tons of water inside right over where the soft spots are (the water would drain to the corners, and that is where the floor is soft).
The solid steel pipes were still on the trailer when we got it, but they look absolutely strange on there, so I chucked them, and am going to use a more normal looking BAL set for it.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Dare I ask......Are ya gonna miss the Argosy??????????????????
Mandolin Dave
Only when we want to go somewhere that only allows trailers under 25' !
Old 05-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Terry and Marie

CONGRATULATIONS going from a painted lady to a silver lady along with your adventures sounds pretty exciting.

I know that trailer it is the mobile prison unit (Peter and I nicked named it because of the aluminum screen guards on all the windows.)

Have fun with your new toy - but remember to get some camping they make a great tin tent during renos - but get the axles done first!

We took your approach as well and it almost cost us our rig - we found out the torsion arms can petrify in a postive % so do not go by the position of the torsion arm - load her up with people and then get under your trailer to have a look at the arms - then call up to them to jump up and down over the axles. You will soon see if the axles are working. We lost a window, and sheared a ton of rivets and all the screws inside came loose - we are lucky the whole interior did not fall apart with the vibration - but being small we did not feel a thing when travelling the I95!
Screen guards have already been removed.
One of the axles moves like it is supposed to, the other one is very stiff, and did not drop at all when I jacked it up to install the tires and pack the bearings, so we are not going to put many miles on it before calling Axis or Henschen.
As far as getting a bunch of people to jump up and down in the trailer, I don't personally have enough trailer clearance to be able to use that axle chacking method The trailer may be a "narrow body", but I am still a "wide body".
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking Things I learned today

I thought I would put together a post of things I learned about our new toy today, along the lines of "what I did on my summer vacation." I am sure we all had to do that when we went back to school in the fall.
1- The galvanized steel tank makes a mess in the trailer when it leaks water.
2-The trailer is much larger than the Argosy 20.
3-The dump valve on the black tank needs to be rebuilt, and I need to find an adapter for a slinky for it.
4-I washed the trailer today, and found out it is much larger than the Argosy 20.
5-The previous owner (not Richard) installed 120v lights where the 12v lights go.
6-The trailer is much larger, and takes more time and work to wash than the Argosy 20.
7-I DON'T have every brass fitting ever made.
8-The trailer is a lot larger than the argosy 20, and takes a lot more time and effort to wash it.
9-The bumper on the Overlander is the same bumper that was used on Argosies up through at least 1975.
10-The Overlander is a large trailer, and takes a lot of elbow grease to wash...
Old 05-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Terry,

Does it take longer to wash the Overlander than you are used to?

Just kidding. Welcome to the Overlander Club! I for one am happy to have you on board.

I knew there was something I liked about you at Blue Spring. Now I know - you were just waiting to get the "right" Airstream .

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Terry,

Does it take longer to wash the Overlander than you are used to?

Just kidding. Welcome to the Overlander Club! I for one am happy to have you on board.

I knew there was something I liked about you at Blue Spring. Now I know.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the welcome. Did I mention that Overlanders are large trailers, and take a lot of time to wash...
Old 05-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
PS What are you gonna name it?
I think since the Argosy 20 was named "Old Rivets", we will probably start calling the Overlander "Older Rivets".
Old 05-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by '63 princess
Hopefully, all he will NEED to do for me at this point is pack the wheel bearings and fix the brakes up. (BTW, it's one electic and one hydraulic brake on the '63s, correct?) Maybe I should have him put on some new Goodyear Marathon tires too.?. Although I plan on it sitting at my place for awhile for remodeling. So maybe it should sit on old tires. HEY, what is the best surface for these trailers to sit on? I was thinking of making a spot with sand and brick, any suggestions?

We '63-ers need to stay together. I understand parts need to be custom made for us, that they are no longer manufactured. : (

Richard; I'm in Durham NC!!!
The electric/hydraulic setup was an option for a while, ours has 4 wheel electric, so that was one less potential issue.
I am planning on using our trailer while we fix it up, so we went with Marathons right away. If you are going to just tow the trailer home, and leave it sit for a while to work on it, you can still find the original 7.00x15LT tires to go under it. Where we bought our tires, they had 4 there, for a few dollars less than Marathons. They weere an off-brand, however, and warranty would have been a problem.
The "best" surface to store your trailer on is either gravel, weed-free, or asphalt. If you store on gravel, make sure you keep the weeds down, as the grass will trap moisture under the trailer, and cause the aluminum belly pan to corrode.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:37 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is there a plumber in the house?

Since our pressurized galvanized water tank leaks (suprise, suprise), I am planning on removing it, and installing an on-demand system, with a non-presssurized plastic tank for the water. Sooo, how do I hook up city water to the trailer, and how do I keep the water tank from filling and overflowing? Do I need to put an internal pressure regulator somewhere in the system, or can I just continue to use the external one I have always used at the campgrounds?
The pump is of course a 12v unit, which brings me to my next question. Does anyone know where the fuses are for the 12v system? I have looked pretty thoroughly around where the battery is, and can find nothing. I have also looked in the front storage compartment where I and several others thought they would be, and did not find them there, either. They are not in the exterior storage compartment, nor are they in the closet with the circuit breakers.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

The water inlet issue is the easy part of your questions. The water inlet should tap into a water line after the pump output. The pump has the check valve in it to stop the water from flowing back into the tank. This inlet can be anywhere on the cold water side of the plumbing but should be before the cold water inlet to the water heater for pressure balancing.

The pressure regulator is a personal preference. Airstream is one of the few that have an internal one from what I read.

On the fuse issue..... best guess, there is no 12 volt distribution panel so there are no fuses.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander