Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
New Member, New Basecamp

Hi, I'm Betty from Minneapolis and I'm just giddy over my Basecamp!
I'm new to all this and I have a lot to learn. For starters, I need a tow vehicle. I'm looking at Toyota Highlander (3-5 years old.) The Basecamp is about 2500 pounds. According to the published tow capacity of the Highlander, it should be OK, but I have heard that tow capacity goes down at higher elevations and I plan to take this across Colorado mountain passes. What would others suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BettywithBasecamp.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	26759  
ABC004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
Its so tiny

OOh, Its so cute, sorry I don't know anything yet on your TV needs, but I couldn't help but respond, so shiny and new and tiny. Have lots of fun, couldn't imagine you need anything to big to tow with.-Probie
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Wow. I think the Basecamp is so cute. I hope you have fun travels with it.

As for towing I can't offer too much except to say that I towed a 1700 pound trailer with a Toyota 4-Runner (3500 pound tow capacity) and I have noticed that it would be a little sluggish going up hills but I never noticed a decrease when going up in altitude (up to 7200 feet).

I bet you will be fine with the tow vehicle you are choosing.

I would love to hear about your travels with your Basecamp so keep us informed and pictures, pictures, pictures.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for responding. I've been checking other threads where the Highlander was mentioned, and I'm having some doubts. Well, I'll work it out.

I made a very quick decision on this. I had been trying to get information about availability without success. One day I decided to go to the dealer just to know where it is. Imagine my surprise to see a Basecamp on the sales floor! Two orders had just come in the day before and one didn't close. I decided in about 15 minutes! Usually I agonize over decisions, as I will with the tow vehicle.
ABC004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
awesome!

Tell us how you end up using it. I don't have a Highliner, but can't seem to think why it wouldn't work. Remember, the other threads that I remember was towing a 19 ft Bambi - about twice the weight of your trailer.

I think you should be well within it's limits.
Anyway, let us know what you end up with! More pics?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Do you mean the trailer's cute?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I have no doube that you will love it! Way to leap into it. That's what we did with our first and we love her.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hi, Betty

Hi, Betty. I see from the previous posts the Basecamp and you already have fans. I believe you are the first member on the forum who has purchased a Basecamp, heck you may be the first in the nation. Post more pictures of the interior and your outings let us know what you like and dislike about the Basecamp. The information you will receive on the forum about towing and safety will be sound and keep you and your Basecamp out of harms way. Use the search function and read the towing threads until you understand the different types of hitches and why things are done the way they are. In towing remember the bigger the TV the better. The Basecamp will not require a Ford F250 Diesel but do go for a little more TV than you may think you need. A lot of owners move up in size or even have 2 trailers as their needs increase.

The information found here is an accumulation of many years of experience from old and young. Read any thread which catches your eye. You will learn about Airstream, WBCCI, campgrounds, and an a host of subjects.

Be sure and get an Air Sticker and put on your unit so we can say hello when we cross paths.

Enjoy your Basecamp.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Highlander would be fine, in my oppinion, as long as it is the V6 motor.

I had the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder in a pickup. It was fine as a transportation vehicle but did not have enough power to tow 2000 pounds.
Can you say, "40 mph on the freeway?" that was on the gentle slopes.

When started keeping records of gas mileage, 18 mpg when empty was not good enough. Best it ever got was 20 mpg. So don't get a 4 cylinder, you will be disappointed.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Stunning and styling Betty! Hope to see and hear more from you about your ventures. And welcome. Check out the VAP they had a podcast about the new basecamp and I enjoyed it very much. Rather than being encapsulized away, you will be more in touch with your environment. I love it!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
a Leap of Adventure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC004
I made a very quick decision on this. I had been trying to get information about availability without success. One day I decided to go to the dealer just to know where it is. Imagine my surprise to see a Basecamp on the sales floor! Two orders had just come in the day before and one didn't close. I decided in about 15 minutes! Usually I agonize over decisions, as I will with the tow vehicle.
Hi Betty:

Congratulations on your new Basecamp! I agree with Jim's observation that you are the first Basecamp owner to post of the Forums, so I'll always think of you as Basecamp One.

Oftentimes the best life expanding decisions are make on the spur of the moment when, after brief consideration, you kick yourself in the posterior and jump into action. The best biggest decisions I've made took little reflection and were made upon a harmonic convergence of positive possibilities and present opportunity. The greatest decisions become self-energizing. Too much analysis, caution and deliberation can smother them and you as well. So, Congratulations! again on your leap to adventure. You will not regret opening up the world for yourself. Welcome aboard, and see you down the road. Many happy miles,
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Don't know where I've been, but never seen anything like that little bascamp. It is soo cute. Can you post pics of the inside??

Sorry now clue on the TV. I have a macho diesel and don't ever think about it , except, why is it that as soon as I get one the price of diesel goes way over unleaded. At least I get better mileage... anyway, PICS!!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Betty, welcome to the forum! I can't wait to hear more about your Basecamp, and how your experience with it is. Tell us more

As for tow vehicle, you're going to have a lot of leeway since your rig is so light (mine weighs about the same). We tow with our van, which is way overkill. Don't worry about the occasional mountain pass, you might have to downshift, but I wouldn't go too overboard because of that. That thing will seem light as a feather most of the time. If you have a couple you are choosing betweem, go for the vehicle with the longest wheelbase. Longer is always better. But don't feel like you have to go nuts.

4 years ago I was brand new to all this too, never camped in an RV or towed anything. Now it's all old hat, and we enjoy our camper immensely! I hope you have the same easy learning curve!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Todays vehicles compensate very well for variations in altitude in terms of adusting so you don't lose power like you did with older vehicles. That said, your other concerns as I see it are the same as any of us:

1. Does my vehicle have enough power to pull the hills? I can tell you from experience that too little power leads to great frustration and wear and tear on the T/V. Constant downshifting/upshifting which is hard on an automatic trans. (Mine was a manual trans), or the option of going slow so you aren't constantly shifting.
2. Braking issues. I don't forsee any problems here if you have a good brake controller.

If the T/V you are considering is borderline, I would encourage you to upgrade.
I'm sure others will chime in.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Pretty COOL !!!!!
Cheers, jeff
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Happy Trails

Hi Betty, You will have such a great time in your new Basecamp. Get
ready for a lot of "lookie loos" we have a Quicksilver Bambi and give
"tours" wherever we stop. Our TV is a Ford F 250 with a V10 engine and folks always
teasing John about having enough power to pull Bambi. Y'all will love Co.
be sure and check out Stagecoach State Park in Steamboat and give us
a call we are just five miles away. Happy Trails, John & Betty PS You need
to come to Idaho as well we have gorgeous country.
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Welcome, Betty. Love the Basecamp! It is so cute. The Highlander should handle 2500#'s, but also check the tongue weight. It shouldn't be a problem either, but please check all the weight limitations. A weight equalizer and anti-sway device may be nice for your smaller Toyota with the base camp, also. Enjoy it and send pics.
Rgds,
ScottW
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Betty,

That's really a cute little trailer. Did you happen to see the Basecamp on the huge billboard on Hennepin Ave, near Franklin?

I expect there will be lots of Basecamps in Minneapolis. Maybe you could start a Basecamp club!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Congrats Betty. Keep the curious posted on how your BaseCamp works out for you. Lots of details and photos are requested.

Best wishes,
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I've moved this thread into the newest forum...Base Camp. Now there is a place for you and all additional BC folks to post the unique issues and discoveries of this newest little model. Post more pictures when you can!

Congratulations...hopefully you will get lots of enjoyment from your new toy! I saw one at the International Rally in Salem...they are very cool! New market...can't wait to meet some folks that own them. Welcome aboard!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote