Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #41
1975 25' Trade Wind

1975 25' Tradewind
Los Luceros , New Mexico
congrats!!!

Is that just the coolest thing or what?. I have seen those on the web and am green to the bone. It is so shiny and new looking. I wonder how long it will take to start seeing post about rebuilding and gutting. Good luck with Colorado an GO FOR IT!!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #42
_

. , .
hi betty and welcome to the forums....

the basecamp......humm.

if you've learned to search here yet, there are several threads related to the basecamp....
not very much is positive, but that is the nature of the beast...when dealing with a new beast.

i've recently been to the factory and had the rare opportunity to privately tour the base camp construction...
i saw them assembled from frame up to body, insulation, skin, interior and complete and ready for paint, and every stage in between.

seeing how they are made and what they are made from, gave be a much better understanding of the product than i've had from just looking at the prototypes.

now, i'm really curious about who will buy these and why. i want to understand the market segment better...

you certainly don't have to justify your purchase, but IF you could share a little bit more about who you are, what your camping/rv experience is, i'd be most grateful.

what other products did you cross shop...pop ups? vintage? casita? tents? other airstreams?

also what do you plan to do with your shinny new spaceship. what sort of camping, how far, how many trips , how many people dogs and toys....and so on... that would be great too....

don't take any comments that critque the product personally...

some of us are like...
-parsons who hate the sin but love the sinner or
-paciifists who oppose war but support the troops or ....
-beer aficionados who love beer but hate beer drinkers...
...ok i'll let u figure out where i fit....

as for towing...the highlander is based on the camry car platform. how much towing is planned. is your tv gonna be a daily driver too?
i wouldn't not want to tow anything more than a utility trailer or small pop up or teardrop with a highlander...

i'll post more on towing options later...tell us more about YOU!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #43
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I'm with 2air, and want to know more, but I'm very happy that after all the discussions about whether the BaseCamp - the Argosy - the SquareStream - are REAL Airstreams that the forum members here are welcoming rather than discussing or dissemblng about your new trailer. You are welcome. About that there is no doubt.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Do you mean the trailer's cute?
OMG!! Yes I mean't the trailer.. that's one of those we can't see you so we don't know you mean moments ... HUH!
I haven't laughed like that all day!! Actually since the last time I was online here. Thanks for keeping me in line. I could really confuse someone!
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi betty and welcome to the forums....

i'll post more on towing options later...tell us more about YOU!

cheers
2air'
A brief history of how I (and the bank) came to own a Basecamp. (Well, maybe not so brief.)
I grew up on a farm and we never took a vacation. I envied the town kids reporting what they did on summer vacation--trips to national parks topped the list. In my adult life, I have done a fair amount of travel at home and abroad, a little fair weather camping and backpacking (Big Island and Kuaui most favorite) and a fair amount of bicyling.

I raised and emancipated two great children, and started to feel freer to pursue a more rewarding occupation. I started a business selling interpretive products (relating to mountain climbing and hiking) from an original concept to national parks. I imagined I would fill my need for travel, even hoping to take care of business from the road. Instead, I found it was a lot like having a dairy farm--hard to get away. Now, I kind of know what I'm doing and I have an employee who can take care of the home office.

This year, when the wanderlust surfaced again, I started to look for the ideal mode of transportation. To tell the truth, I really like the Sprinter, with the Mercedes diesel engine (22 mpg), all outfitted. I thought, "I can handle that solo." But I can't handle $95K new, or any fairly recent model. I started searching the internet. I looked at used conversion vans, and very small motorhomes. Then I found T@B (very drawn to it) and and finally landed on the Airstream site, the BUZZ section featuring the Basecamp. It was love at first sight. They had almost no information as to its availability, and the local dealer couldn't add much. Finally, I set out just to find the dealership so I would know how to get there, should they get any. To my surprise, they had two on the showroom floor, #004 (red) and #005 (blue.) They had just been delivered. One was for a Colorado company and the other, the deal didn't go through. I closed out the Saturday with them and called the salesman on Sunday to say I'd take it.

So, how will I use it? Initially, business and pleasure. It will be half of my tradeshow booth, with product displays in the interior, product video on the TV, nature sounds on the CD. The other half will look like a campsite.

The Basecamp is a metaphor for me pesonally, and for my business. I've been trekking at sea level, so to speak, and I'm ready to take it higher.

(Apparently there's no limit to how much one can write!)

Just one more thing motivating my decision. When I travel for business, I'm so sick of retiring to the room at 7 p.m. and channel surfing. I figured if I were staying in a campground I'd find myself with like-minded people, and perhaps even have a conversation!

About the market: of the first five Basecamps at least, it looks like businesses are getting them. #001 was sold to Aveda Corp, I bought #004 (by chance) and #005 ordered by an un-named Colorado company (dealer: Shorewood RV, Anoka MN.)

More later--Betty
(Picture) Accomodates a celebration party of 8!
ABC004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC004
So, how will I use it? Initially, business and pleasure. It will be half of my tradeshow booth, with product displays in the interior, product video on the TV, nature sounds on the CD. The other half will look like a campsite.
Sounds like a great tax deduction to ensure your sanity. Your tow vehicle (Toyota FJ Cruiser!) will also be a tax deduction and all your camping gear. Gee, maybe I'm in the wrong business...I'm curious about any options you acquired during the purchase. Did you get the tent or the ramp or...?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #47
_

. , .
hi betty and thanks for sharing!

you have confirmed one of my suspicions...

that the early buyers would have business or marketing motives...

the shape is grabbing and the profile distictive...

tradeshow vendors may be attracted for just that reason...

you also seem to suggest being new to the rv market...

concerned about handling a bigger rig, traveling alone and so on...

i agree campgrounds are great places to meet people and

most airstream owners soon realize every 'stranger' has an 'airstream story'...

so we get lots of comments and questions and conversations...

you will too. perhaps even more because the model is so unique looking...

and the basecamp name analogy will strike home for many...but,

i suspect you'll be asked more than once if it is a customized horse trailer...

why not consider mister ed or flicka or bessy or war paint or silver stallion or estalon,

as pre emptive names for the trailer?

again welcome and tell us more about the travels of ms basecamp...

cheers
2air'

and as for towing options....
given nissan basically designed the base camp....
how about a nice titan pickup or pathfinder...
i'd prefer the pickup but the suv name pathfinder goes so well with basecamp...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hmm. The BaseCamp that passed us on I-70 in western Kansas heading east was red-so showy! I wonder which of these first 5 it was to be already on the road-if it was among these. Just wondering~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Hmm. The BaseCamp that passed us on I-70 in western Kansas heading east was red-so showy! I wonder which of these first 5 it was to be already on the road-if it was among these. Just wondering~G
When I say "red" and "blue" these are interior accent colors . I've seen a picture of a Basecamp with red fenders, but 005 and my 004 have light gray so it blends with the aluminum. --Betty
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i suspect you'll be asked more than once if it is a customized horse trailer...

why not consider mister ed or flicka or bessy or war paint or silver stallion or estalon,

as pre emptive names for the trailer?

again welcome and tell us more about the travels of ms basecamp...

cheers
2air'

and as for towing options....
given nissan basically designed the base camp....
how about a nice titan pickup or pathfinder...
i'd prefer the pickup but the suv name pathfinder goes so well with basecamp...
I started a response and lost it with a keystroke. Now it will be briefer! Your names made me laugh!

I have never named a vehicle. On the farm, we didn't even really name our domestic animals, except for "Puppy" and "Kitty." I'm reminded that my dear, late brother, tonque-in-cheek, named his sailboat "The Boat." I have a feeling the Basecamp will get called "The Trailer."

The Pathfinder, is of course, a good match considering the design connection and the name itself. My research indicates Toyota as having better reliability ratings, and,"highland"er, works for me, too.--Betty
Old 10-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Congrats Betty! Wow -- a first for you! But don't stop there -- if you hurry you could probably be the very 1st Basecamp owner to join the WBCCI! They just voted that BaseCamp owners can now be members. Being the first is a label you could hang onto for the rest of your ABC days!

I'm sure you'd be a hit at all the rallies you could find your way to until these new fangled trailers become as common as flap jacks. That could take years -- a decade -- a really long time -- so you're sure to have plenty of 'wow, what's that?' kind of fun... Here's the link to the North American site.

www.WBCCI.org

Here's the link to the Minnesota Unit.

www.wbccimn.net

Good luck -- I hope you have tons of fun!!

__
I'm back. The forum is seductive and I could spend a lot of time here! I've been awfully busy at work, but I sure will let everyone know when I have my TV.

I joined as member-at-large. I certainly intended to join, but as one can easily procrastinate, I appreciate the invitation and yes, if I am the first Basecamp member (who doesn't like to be first?) all the better.

More later,
Betty
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC004
Hi, I'm Betty from Minneapolis and I'm just giddy over my Basecamp!
I'm new to all this and I have a lot to learn. For starters, I need a tow vehicle. I'm looking at Toyota Highlander (3-5 years old.) The Basecamp is about 2500 pounds. According to the published tow capacity of the Highlander, it should be OK, but I have heard that tow capacity goes down at higher elevations and I plan to take this across Colorado mountain passes. What would others suggest?
Wow! What a beauty! Welcome to the forums. If you have a chance, could you post some photos of the interior too!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Given those 2 choices, I vote "Sir Hillary".
Would that still be all right after "President Hillary?"

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #54
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Betty,

I was out shopping for parts yesterday and stopped at Shorewood. Was Heather your salesman? My wife was very impressed by the design of the Basecamp, but I think she liked the Classic Limited even better.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #55

2007 Base Camp
Newport Coast , California
New 2007 BaseCamp

Hi. I just picked up my new BaseCamp on Tuesday. Looks just like your BaseCamp, and I intend to use it for quick weekend trips (one or two days only). I really liked the ability to be able to haul small toys (ATV, bikes, inflatable boat, etc.). I didn't want a full blown travel trailer, even the 16' Bambi. I wanted to keep things light, have some light off-road capability. I don't want to spend a lot of time sitting in a trailer. I just wanted a quick place to sleep, and have a quick meal, and store fun things to do. I've pulled mine about 300 miles so far (behind a BMW X-5 4.4 V-8). It tows great, no special weight distributing hitch, and is very easy to handle in tight spaces with lot's of clearance (I have the off-road model). My biggest complaint is that it is not easy to pull up the rear step from the inside to seal it off when parked.

Overall, it's not a good travel trailer if you want the most comfort for the buck, but think of it as a great light weight small toy hauler, and great place to get food, some sleep, and clean up between playing with your toys.
tomsred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Welcome and congratulations on your new basecamp too! What do they do to make a model an off road model? Does it appear different? Do you have pictures? Will you be considering the add on tent? Is that an option?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynon
Would that still be all right after "President Hillary?"

Waynon
Naw, that might kill any appeal for me...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #58

2007 Base Camp
Newport Coast , California
Off Road BaseCamp

I don't have pictures yet. My BaseCamp is stored in Las Vegas in a rented storage building. I have a motorhome that I keep over there as well, so I travel from So. California to there often. I wanted the BaseCamp to travel out to the National Parks in that area (like Grand Canyon, CanyonLands, Mesa Verde, Arches, Lake Powell, etc.). My motorhome was too large to get into those smaller spots, and more remote areas, it's for a completely different type of travel.

With regard to your question on the off road BaseCamp. It is raised about two more inches for extra clearance, and comes with 15" off road (knobby) tires. They tow fine on pavement, and are well suited for the desert areas I mentioned above, or some of the campgrounds that are off dirt roads. I have the shield for any rocks on the front, and I did get the Kelty tent. The tent is highly over-priced, but when you consider that it is custom to the BaseCamp and therefore limited in quantity that is what you are going to get. If you are out for a couple of days it makes a nice dressing area, bathroom and storage zone so you don't clutter up the BaseCamp living space. I would still opt to sleep in the BaseCamp, and kick my guests out to the tent!
tomsred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here's the offroad model

from Colonial RV. http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/8197.html
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Betty,

I was out shopping for parts yesterday and stopped at Shorewood. Was Heather your salesman? My wife was very impressed by the design of the Basecamp, but I think she liked the Classic Limited even better.
Mark,
Sorry for the tardy response.

I see the Classic Limited is about twice the size of the Basecamp--more to like, I guess, but way more than I feel I can handle as a newcomer. Now, the 75th Anniversary Bambi is really something, too. I'm sure you saw it. (BTW, Dave Olson Sr. helped me.

Betty