Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Salado & Santa Rosa Beach, FL , Texas
Size 19-20-or 23. Thoughts please

Non-owner ever. Retired (72) with Wife and Standard Poodle.
One of the most important things is it keeps me cool in the hot summer here in Texas or Fl or?
Looking at the Caravel in19/20 or 23’s for the importance (I’m told very important) second axle.
I’ve given up the 16 as told the extra tanks and bath should be very important.
Any help in this will be much appreciated.
If the 23 is the way to go how different is the Globetrotter & Flying Cloud?
Thank you
MickeyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
for the two of us, 22 was the smallest we liked

we have a sport 22FB and LOVE it

it we were to get a new one, the Flying cloud C 23 FB would be our choice.

nothing bigger is needed as all you get is more couch space
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I would give the 23FB a hard look if you can find one. Excellent floor plan, two axles.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Spend some time on the dedicated 23 thread. Lots of similar conversations. The new Caravel is well liked by the folks who have purchased one. We like the Flying Cloud, but you may have very different taste.

First - the 19 is not a bad choice. The 16 has more going for it than most understand. The 20 is just a great coach. But none, except the 23FB, have a queen, the nice bathroom or the dual axle configuration. It is a winner.

When we looked, I wanted a dual axle. I wanted a queen bed. Some want the twins, but being close to the one I love is a big thing to me. That put us in the 23FB and it worked well for our RV lifestyle.

The 23 has a smaller refrigerator than the bigger trailers, but it's big enough. The front bed configuration, which has the queen, only has the dinette as a place to lounge and relax. Understand what that means. Some time in a 23FB is the only way to know.

If you can be comfortable with a smaller bed, that opens up options. Research all before you decide. It's a spiral. As you decide one issue, you will find another that may shift the original decisions. It's expensive to change your path if you get it wrong, so get it right for you.

Good Luck with your search. Hope to see you down the road with a smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Please don't take these suggestions to heart.

You will learn many great things on these recommendations. Great source of info.These folks know it all.

However the only trailer you should buy is the one everybody going is comfortable in. Floor plan is EVERYTHING and we all like different ones.

Here are the important parts and excuse me in advance as we will be talking toilets.

Does everyone fit on the throne in comfort? Leg room, knee room, rump room and can you and your paperwork get to where you need to go without hitting the wall?

Beds. Do you and everyone else fit comfy on the bed. You better or camping will be hell!

Dinnette comfy or can made be with a few pillows? You'll spend a good amount of time there.

Is there a way say you and another after 33 days on the road can use the floorpan for a bit of alone time and space for everyone? You don't want to be the guy that asks his wife where the cheese grater is and get stabbed with a wild squirrel. But maybe your bride is calmer than mine after 33 days...

The very very best to you in your search. Go everywhere and look at everything. Test everything and buy the perfect one for you. And since these things now cost fortune. A mistake will be costly.

Buy once. Cry once and enjoy for ever.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Temecula , California
Me single guy, 62. 2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB. Single Axle.

My Tiny is perfect for one. Comfortable for two, if you enjoy sleeping in the corner bed, about the size of a twin. I have a lady companion traveler, she is petite so squeezing into the cozy mattress works for us. Traveling alone, it's all mine. Bathroom a BIG decision. Especially us old folks. Very comfortable, spacious, and a necessity. Dinette style sitting up front. Spend most of my time outside, but early mornings and late evenings a pleasure to sit there with that great big panoramic view.

The 23 footer is perhaps the best floor plan in my opinion. Too late for me, these trailers are expensive, and trading in for an upgrade is not an option for me at the moment. I'll keep the little Tiny Cloud and pass it down to the kids whenever they decide to embrace the trailer world of life.

Small is good for me also on account of tow vehicle. Not interested in buying a new car to handle anything bigger. I have a 2020 GLE 450. Works great. Lady friend has a RAM 1500 ecodiesel, even better.

It's a great trailer. Very comfortable, extremely quiet interior, upgraded interior hardware when compared to SOB. And as expected, looks really cool at the campground.

All the best to you on your decision.
Tiny Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Last year we traded up from a Sport 22FB to an International 23FB Serenity. What a huge difference in convenience with the little bit of added length and width—plus axle. Worth every penny.
coerector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If this is your first Airstream I can see why you are asking the question. Pick the largest you will think you need and then go the next size up!

I say that because when we were looking for a new Airstream we decided we were going to get the 25 footer. After checking the price difference, we realized that the 27' trailer was only $6000 more. We bought the 27'.

Two years later we moved up to a 30' Classic. Go figure!

I like the 23' floorplan very much. Whichever you choose, you will have lots of fun with it!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Suggest reading the 23FB thread.

We have a 23FB and still have our 19' Bambi and like them both for different reasons.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyR View Post
Non-owner ever. Retired (72) with Wife and Standard Poodle.
One of the most important things is it keeps me cool in the hot summer here in Texas or Fl or?
Looking at the Caravel in19/20 or 23’s for the importance (I’m told very important) second axle.
I’ve given up the 16 as told the extra tanks and bath should be very important.
Any help in this will be much appreciated.
If the 23 is the way to go how different is the Globetrotter & Flying Cloud?
Thank you
If you have never owned one, I suggest you try to find something used rather than buying new. I have been told that after 2 years you will want something else, probably bigger, or you will find that this isn't the life for you. There will be a sizable depreciation loss you will have to deal with if selling in the first few years. Buy used, keep it a while and you'll know what you really want in an Airstream.

Besides learning what you want inside the Airstream you will also have to know about towing. You haven't said how comfortable you are with towing. Your tow vehicle (TV) will enter into your buying decision too. Will you have to get a bigger TV? Are you comfortable backing up into a campsite? How about going down the highway with heavy traffic and cross winds? Do you think you can maneuver a travel trailer around the pumps and cars at a gas station?

I'm 73 and the wife is 62. I retired at 66. We were thinking of going with something around 17' to 20' and came across a 2006 23' Safari for sale. It's easy to tow with the TV we have and the 2 axles keep it very steady in wind or traffic. To change a tire you just need to pull one wheel up on a portable ramp and the other comes up off the ground. You can't do that with a single axle. We are able to get into any site at a campground (so far), no length limitation.

Inside our Airstream the two of us are pretty comfortable and sometimes our adult son and (medium size) dog travel with us. That makes it crowded so we have a screen enclosure to set up for added space. Both of us are short so the corner bed is not a real problem. The toilet is a challenge since the door is at an angle but we mostly use the campground facilities so we don't have to use the portable tank (Blue Boy) to empty the gray & black tanks. The kitchen is good sized so meals aren't a problem, plus I cook outside, weather permitting.

Our 23' came with a 15,000 BTU A/C instead of the standard 13,500. It's loud (newer models have ducted air so that may be quieter) but good. Our first trip the Airstream was in full sun, 90F outside, and we were very comfortable.

Mostly, we consider our Airstream as our base. It's a place to sleep and cook but we spend time outdoors (we have a tandem kayak), shopping, visiting, etc. The longest we've spent on the road is 3 months and we were ready to come home. I guess we're a little claustrophobic. I think 2 months will be our limit from now on.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
as long as you can afford....

i have owned a new 19' flying cloud; a new 23' flying cloud; and now have a 25' 2020 flying cloud. full time for 90,000 miles - and i also travel with standard poodles. the longer the better and more comfortable! larger tanks, larger sitting areas, and more comfortable kitchen. i traded up 3 times because i thought i chose the right size, floor plan, etc. think about twin beds rather than the walk around queen: not easy to walk around....
good luck, DAF
dougfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd only consider twin axles.
After towing enclosed single axle trailers across the country I said "never again". A blow out (for no apparent reason) does a lot of damage.
Then I'd decide what's important to me. Comfortable seating, nice bed, shower I can turn around in, do I want the table to also be the bed, etc.
Then try all the models on. Lay on the bed, sit at the table..
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Size 19-20-or 23. Thoughts please

Ditto. Our 2007 22’ International CCD has dual axles. One of a few in that length. Nowadays it’s 23’ and longer.

Blowouts are bad enough on a dual axle rig. Lost a GYM on a trip once, was under the kitchen side. $4,000 worth of damage fortunately covered by insurance.

Can’t imagine dragging one side of a single axle Airstream on the rim whilst trying to get out of traffic to the shoulder. I’m also running Goodyear Endurance tires nowadays.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Ontario
Size Matters 19 or 23 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coerector View Post
Last year we traded up from a Sport 22FB to an International 23FB Serenity. What a huge difference in convenience with the little bit of added length and width—plus axle. Worth every penny.
We traded our 22 ft Sport for a 23 FB international serenity after only two years. The 23 FB as many important features lacking in the 22 ft,, most notably a more user friendly kitchen sink, larger refrigerator and tandem axle. Our 23 FB came with a queen bed which was comfortable but DW got tired of climbing over my sleeping carcass to go to the bathroom as the walk around bed would require one to have rubber limbs. We converted it to twin beds which solved this problem but also provided much more living space and usable storage space. It basically gives you two different living/lounging areas. It was a wonderful improvement.

Terry
terrythomts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Owners Height is Factor too

We have a 19 cb chosen because of its front dinette. Its dinette works for 6'6" people. The 23 fb has a smaller, tighter side dinette that did not work for us.
Oakknollpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
You’ll take a hit on an upgrade, even if you buy used. Go for what you want, as your tow vehicle allows.
We went from a 22Bambi to a 23 FB FC. Quieter AC, plus overhead storage for the woman with the iffy back. Having a bed that allows nighttime bathroom trips without a tandem barrel roll is a big plus.
Good luck, and happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
You’ll take a hit on an upgrade, even if you buy used. Go for what you want, as your tow vehicle allows.
We went from a 22Bambi to a 23 FB FC. Quieter AC, plus overhead storage for the woman with the iffy back. Having a bed that allows nighttime bathroom trips without a tandem barrel roll is a big plus.
Good luck, and happy camping!
That's hilarious!

We have a Sport 22FB and it could use a bit more room up front to allow for passage around the bed to avoid the "barrel roll".

I really like the light weight of the Sport 22FB but having an extra axle would add some comfort while driving.

In general, the 22FB is well laid out and with some tweaks like a slightly smaller table top can really help when sitting around the dinette.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
23 Foot Double Axle Reins Supreme... to some

Had a 23 foot 2006 Safari for eight years. Many options for Tow Vehicles, as well. Easy to tow and store. Plenty of room for two adults, two Blue Heelers and one to two pre teen children.

- Double Axle is the safest most reliable minimum (for me, that is)

- Get Solar.

- Get a 3 inch Lift Kit.

- Get FIVE 16 inch Sendel wheels and FIVE 16 inch Michelin LT tires.

- Get an Equalizer Hitch with the appropriate BARS (750# ?)

The new 23's have wheels that use 6 lug wheels, so sell the 15 inch Goodyears and REPLACE WITH 16 inch Michelins will last EIGHT years for average users. I go everywhere and never have had a problem with Michelins on my Truck and Trailers..

Sold the 23 2006 Safari due to the LED lighting available on later and went to the 25. A 25 foot, because no 23's were on the Dealer's Lot. Loved the 25 and now... Ohhhh Weeee. The 27 foot is an Apartment for a family. Love it, as well.

Solar and LED lighting go a long way on AGM Batteries. Get the largest AGM or.. Lithium Batteries that fit into the Battery Box. Off the Grid battery power keeps us powered up for 3 1/2 weeks on this last trip. We conserve our batteries with not lighting everything up and Solar handles our conservative camping.

Walk through all the lengths you may have an interest. When you go to sell the Airstream... the 23 is the upgrade from those with single axles. Avoid the olde 23 footers with 14 Inch tires that are Load Range C. Lousy tires will disappoint you with using on and off the paved roads. Load Range E Goodyears I hear are much improved and time will tell.

When you go to SELL... then you will understand.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
My advice is generally another way of stating what Goin camping said.

Our 2014 FC 25 FB Twin is our first, and probably last travel trailer. I ordered it and took delivery in 2013. This was something my wife and I agreed we would do when we both retired. Until then we had been tent campers out of an E-150, but I had been reading “Trailer Life” pretty religiously for at least 20 years.

My background is IT and systems analysis is how I approach many decisions: What are the Minimum Requirements?

Here are ours:
1. Full Bath
2. Neither of us must crawl over the other to get out of bed.
3. A dry and comfortable place to be out of the weather
4. A full frig with freezer.
5. I do the cooking and I planned to cook outside so other galley details were not high on the list. This is working for me.
6. Must fit through a 10’x10’ garage door and accommodate a car in front of it in a 44’4’ garage bay.

Not a very difficult list on the surface, but no other brand that we looked at had a very good solution for number 2—we love the twin beds. No other brand would clear a 10’ high opening and fitting my car in front of anything longer than a 25 was not going to happen. So, we have what we have and we are very happy with it. We’ve been on two 85-day excursions and numerous shorter ones without strife. We considered trading for a 25 RB to address the tow vehicle issue (see below), but we didn’t like some of the floor plan details after we had become accustomed to the Front Bedroom.

The tow vehicle was another matter. I did all my homework assuming Airstream was telling the truth about the 837 lb. tongue weight. I ordered a 2013 144” wheel base F150 Supercab 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73 axles, max tow, max payload. It didn’t have enough cargo capacity, primarily because the 25FB tongue weight was actually 1,251 lbs., ready to travel at 6,500 lbs. trailer weight. The FC25 GVWR is 7,300 lbs. so it isn’t trailer cargo that’s the issue. I traded the Ford for a 2016 GMC 2500 Duramax before we left for Alaska. The Duramax turned out to be the perfect TV for me. It was an expensive mistake.

Good luck!
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I have a 21’ single axle, would like a little more room, and a second axle ..
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote