Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Orlando , Florida
One week out from order completion on my 2022 20FB Caravel

Super excited! Pickup will likely be a week or two after that to allow for transportation and dealer prep. Going with a dealer installed blue ox w/d hitch. I have a 2021 Sierra Denali 1500 Duramax diesel and can't wait to finally get everything set up. Storage facilities near me are full and have wait lists, so it looks like for now I'll be parking outside in my driveway in the Florida sun. Any advice there? I will have access to power and a sewage out drain from my driveway. Not 30 amp power, but I'm having the easy start installed so I should still be able to turn the AC on if needed. I placed my order in May, so the wait really has not been too bad.
aarstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We're in the same boat on our van ( is it here yet .... )

Outdoor storage is not ideal. We started looking here for something back in March. We made it to the top of the list about two weeks ago. If you are storing outdoors, get covers for the tires. They really don't like a lot of sun. Hang in there on the waiting list(s).

Unless you have a 20A socket in the garage and a short run to the trailer, I would not count on running the A/C. Most household 15A circuits are not quite up to the job. We also have learned a lot about just what *other* things are also on the circuit that goes to the garage . It should be plenty good enough to keep the batteries going and run fans and lights.

Delivery wise, who knows when anything rolls out of anywhere. We spent a lot of weeks waiting for Ford to move our new truck less than 2 hours down the road. If you drive past "RV Central" in Elkhart IN, there are a ton of signs up looking for delivery drivers. I'm sure it's the same at JC.

In our case, actual completion was a bit after the planned date. It wasn't much, but every day matters ( is it here yet ..... ). Ours held up waiting for an awning of all things.

The big question: At what point do you risk the $10 cancellation fee on reservations at the local park? Heading out for a couple of short trips is indeed the way to start out. Being relatively close to home is a good idea ( ... did you close the garage door? ... I though you did? ... are you sure you didn't? .... I have empirical data on this ).

Fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Think about waxing the trailer regularly to protect the clear coat from that strong southern sun.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We're in the same boat on our van ( is it here yet .... )

Outdoor storage is not ideal. We started looking here for something back in March. We made it to the top of the list about two weeks ago. If you are storing outdoors, get covers for the tires. They really don't like a lot of sun. Hang in there on the waiting list(s).

Unless you have a 20A socket in the garage and a short run to the trailer, I would not count on running the A/C. Most household 15A circuits are not quite up to the job. We also have learned a lot about just what *other* things are also on the circuit that goes to the garage . It should be plenty good enough to keep the batteries going and run fans and lights.

Delivery wise, who knows when anything rolls out of anywhere. We spent a lot of weeks waiting for Ford to move our new truck less than 2 hours down the road. If you drive past "RV Central" in Elkhart IN, there are a ton of signs up looking for delivery drivers. I'm sure it's the same at JC.

In our case, actual completion was a bit after the planned date. It wasn't much, but every day matters ( is it here yet ..... ). Ours held up waiting for an awning of all things.

The big question: At what point do you risk the $10 cancellation fee on reservations at the local park? Heading out for a couple of short trips is indeed the way to start out. Being relatively close to home is a good idea ( ... did you close the garage door? ... I though you did? ... are you sure you didn't? .... I have empirical data on this ).

Fun !!!

Bob

Thank you! I'm currently about 30 spots away in line from having an indoor storage space, so hopefully outdoors won't be too long term. I appreciate all of the great advice.
aarstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats

Great unit, you'll love it. Enjoy.
Make sure you get all the necessary items that the dealer doesn't provide. Make up some check lists too, they helped us tremendously at the beginning.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a bunch of time reading various threads and deciding what we needed to go out and get "pre delivery". We then spent the next few years shopping for this and that to replace this and that .

There is a certain minimum amount of stuff you will need to get through two days of camping. You do need a toothbrush . You need to make coffee (that might be ahead of the toothbrush on the list ...). The dealer likely will throw in a sewer hose and a water hose. They probably will supply a few rolls of TP and some tank treatment "stuff".

I would suggest you start off with paper plates / plastic knives and forks. Yes it's horrible for the environment, it also fits way better with the sort of water / gray tanks on an RV. See how that goes before you buy lots of place settings.

A pot and a pan probably is the minimum. You can go pretty crazy in this regard. It *does* need to fit someplace. Same thing with the crock pot / air fryer / toaster oven / ice cream machine / beer fermenter ...... from the typical modern kitchen. Wait a bit and see how things fit.

Chocks and leveling blocks will be needed. With a dual axle X Chocks are pretty neat. There are a *lot* of different gizmos out there for leveling.

One thing most folks don't have in their camping gear: A torque wrench. You need one to tighten the nuts on the wheels when a tire is changed. An extension and the proper thin wall socket also are part of the kit. Most toss in a breaker bar to loosen the nuts as well.

One not so obvious item: A big box in the garage. You will get all sorts of goodies with the trailer. Will you *use* those AS custom cushions? (or whatever) If not, into the box they go. They get saved for the next owner or for when you change your mind.

Yes this list could go on and on forever and ever .... check out the threads on the Insta Pot ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel