Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Hot water heater as buffer tank

The tankless hot water heater on our Nest has been a bit less than satisfying, which may also be true in other AS models?? The delay/intermittent hot water are noticeable and frustrating when trying to conserve water -- running the faucets just above a trickle. As you know the freshwater and combined grey/black tanks are small on the Nest!
So, I installed a small 2.5 gallon, 120v water heater in line with our tankless water heater. I also added an accumulator to eliminate the pump surging that we were experiencing when running the faucets at a low flow. Although I haven't field tested this yet, so far the results are very good as I've run many gallons thru the system. The hot water arrives very fast both at the kitchen sink and bathroom, even at a very low rate of flow. Also the tankless heater kicks on perfectly after a minute or two. Right now I just have the water heater plugged in externally, but plan to wire it for both shore power and inverter.
The accumulator works like a charm!
Stay tuned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	391536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accumulator.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	391537  

Tamarack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Your idea of a fix is ingenious, ironic, brilliant, crazy, hilarious and perhaps even perfect. To fix the problems inherent in installing a tankless water heater in a small RV, you install several tanks, including a conventional RV hot water heater! Of course!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Your idea of a fix is ingenious, ironic, brilliant, crazy, hilarious and perhaps even perfect. To fix the problems inherent in installing a tankless water heater in a small RV, you install several tanks, including a conventional RV hot water heater! Of course!
Ok, go ahead and laugh...meanwhile, I'll be washing my hands in warm water!
Old 03-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
better photos

All finished. I'm still surprised on how much the accumulator helped the water pump!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	391663   Click image for larger version

Name:	accumulator.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	391664  

Old 03-27-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Cool Water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack View Post
I want one. You never fail to amaze me. WOW.
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
love nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
I like it!
When the grid goes down for good,it's obvious this Glamper is going to have hot water, one way or another!
What most people don't realize, with all the new high tech stuff, is it almost insures system failure.And that's brand new.
Just sticking to these new Airstreams as an example.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
I like it!
When the grid goes down for good,it's obvious this Glamper is going to have hot water, one way or another!
What most people don't realize, with all the new high tech stuff, is it almost insures system failure.And that's brand new.
Just sticking to these new Airstreams as an example.
Thanks! Of course this is more than just the desire for a redundant hot water system, although I am a guy who definitely leans toward redundancy . I was doing some reading on the forum and see that other Airstreams with tankless systems also have "cold water sandwiching" issues - https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...mp-217101.html

Another way of addressing this problem would be a hot water recirculation system.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Very nice work. Will you have enough battery/inverter power to run what must be a 1,500 watt element long enough to heat 2.5 gallons of water? Also can you post some details on your accumulator, I want to build one for a swamp cooler. Did you just use a 3 or 4" piece of PVC?

edit: looking again it looks like a store bought accumulator which I hadn't considered since I didn't know they were out there.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Whatever type WH...don't waste it waiting for hot, we run it into a container and use it for rinsing, brushing teeth etc.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Very nice work. Will you have enough battery/inverter power to run what must be a 1,500 watt element long enough to heat 2.5 gallons of water? Also can you post some details on your accumulator, I want to build one for a swamp cooler. Did you just use a 3 or 4" piece of PVC?

edit: looking again it looks like a store bought accumulator which I hadn't considered since I didn't know they were out there.
The trailer has two 120AH lithium batteries. Also, the small electric water heater is "downstream" from my tankless propane unit, so much of the incoming water will be pre-heated. I'll have more data on power consumption sometime soon.

Here's the accumulator I purchased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Lithium batteries

Quote:
The trailer has two 120AH lithium batteries. Also, the small electric water heater is "downstream" from my tankless propane unit, so much of the incoming water will be pre-heated. I'll have more data on power consumption sometime soon.

Here's the accumulator I purchased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How much does your inverter pull from the batteries to run a 1500w load. This is about the same as a coffee pot.
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
Old 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by love nest View Post
How much does your inverter pull from the batteries to run a 1500w load. This is about the same as a coffee pot.
Good comparison, although it would be a coffee pot that turns on and off all day
Old 03-31-2021, 08:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
How much does your inverter pull from the batteries to run a 1500w load.
Here's what it pulls when I first turn it on. It heated up in about 15 minutes. The tank seems to keep the water hot very well. Of course, if I use any amount of hot water the propane tankless heater kicks on and replenishes with hot water so it turns off sooner. I tested the system in several ways and so far it has disappointed me. Seem to work great, though I'm still in the process of testing different scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water heater power usage.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	392117  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Whatever type WH...don't waste it waiting for hot, we run it into a container and use it for rinsing, brushing teeth etc.

Bob
[emoji631]
Or install one of these:

https://tweetys.com/aqua-viewsmz001....hoCbF4QAvD_BwE

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Here's what it pulls when I first turn it on. It heated up in about 15 minutes. The tank seems to keep the water hot very well. Of course, if I use any amount of hot water the propane tankless heater kicks on and replenishes with hot water so it turns off sooner. I tested the system in several ways and so far it has disappointed me. Seem to work great, though I'm still in the process of testing different scenarios.
...I forgot to mention that this setup has completely eliminated the problems I had with getting hot water at low flow levels as well as the cold water blast I used to get when I turned the water off, and then on again .
Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Water heater

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Now I see the problem with My BMS on my battery Rated at 100 amps. People say it will do up to 130 but I would not like to count on that. Was that a misprint where you said you were disappointed with your water heater setup.
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Was that a misprint where you said you were disappointed with your water heater setup.
Yes, mean say that it "hasn't disappointed me"
Old 04-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This one looks promising: https://aquaviewinc.com/product/skb0...rushed-nickel/
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
Old 04-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I think this is a great solution to a problem Airstream itself is responsible for creating.

I find it completely deplorable that a customer has to do anything close to this on a new(er) unit. How Airstream could possibly think their solution was a good idea is beyond me.

For boondockers, throw in a 12v frigde and you've basically committed folks to bringing generators and many additional gallons of water.

Sorry, just venting here when I see a customer that spent between $30k -$40k and has to do what Airstream should solved long before offering these poorly thought water heating and fridges as standard equipment.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Really nice upgrade!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote