Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Sammamish , Washington
We purchased a 2020 FBT Globetrotter and love it....when it's working. Unfortunately we've had trouble after trouble. (Currently, it is at the dealer for hot water heater that stopped working, refrigerator that does not work on propane. Prior to that, the sail(?) switch needed to be replaced because the furnace quit as well) All said, we love the size of it as it gives us more flexibility in terms of the campground site we choose. The bigger the trailer, the more limited you are. We also love the twin bed configuration.
Jan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #22
2020 Globetrotter 23FBT

2020 23' Globetrotter
Sausalito , California
We have the 2020 Globetrotter 23FBT and are very happy with it. We are towing with a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. It does not have enough payload capacity to be comfortable with the 25 foot Globetrotter which has a heavy tongue. Although the 25FBT seemed the perfect floor plan for us, we didn't want to be on the margin with our truck and we love the mileage we get with it. This is our first trailer. Our only experience outside of the showroom was renting. We rented a 27 FBT, 25 RB and 23D through Outdoorsy and RV Share. Its a great way to build up your knowledge and try different floor plans before buying. Although the lounge was hard to give up, the twins make up for it! We have no regrets over the 8' width and happily made that trade off for ease of maneuverability and extra room on the road when towing. As for quality, we seem to have been very lucky with the fit, finish and performance. The only issue we had was a minor wiring problem with the refrigerator preventing it from running on 12V. It was a 5 minute fix. We have the microwave/convection option and the solar (1 panel) and it keeps the battery charged perfectly between uses. We live in California and purchased while on vacation in Michigan last summer. It was a dramatic difference in price.
dianacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianacr View Post
We have the 2020 Globetrotter 23FBT and are very happy with it. We are towing with a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. It does not have enough payload capacity to be comfortable with the 25 foot Globetrotter which has a heavy tongue. Although the 25FBT seemed the perfect floor plan for us, we didn't want to be on the margin with our truck and we love the mileage we get with it. This is our first trailer. Our only experience outside of the showroom was renting. We rented a 27 FBT, 25 RB and 23D through Outdoorsy and RV Share. Its a great way to build up your knowledge and try different floor plans before buying. Although the lounge was hard to give up, the twins make up for it! We have no regrets over the 8' width and happily made that trade off for ease of maneuverability and extra room on the road when towing. As for quality, we seem to have been very lucky with the fit, finish and performance. The only issue we had was a minor wiring problem with the refrigerator preventing it from running on 12V. It was a 5 minute fix. We have the microwave/convection option and the solar (1 panel) and it keeps the battery charged perfectly between uses. We live in California and purchased while on vacation in Michigan last summer. It was a dramatic difference in price.
Thanks so much for the reply.

I think we're down to a 23' Globetrotter FBT or a 25' Flying Cloud RBT. A bit "apples and oranges" in many respects, but very close on price if you check all of the option boxes on the FC.

We don't yet have a tow vehicle either - we're going to choose the trailer first - but we're not going to go the 3/4 ton route. The 23' Globetrotter could be pulled by just about any configuration of any 1/2 ton pickup without bumping up against any limits, including payload. The 25' Flying Cloud RB is heavier on the tongue, but still towable by most 1/2 tons either with the payload package (if offered) or with the proper cab/bed configuration.

The 25' Flying Cloud FB is a different story altogether as you pointed out. The tongue weight there escalates very quickly since outside storage is up front and any additional weight from full tanks or a second A/C sits ahead of the axel. The RB is just the opposite.

You make a good point about the beds doubling as a lounge area. I've heard a couple of other people say this as well. I can imagine using them as a lounge or even setting up a small portable table in the aisle to hold a laptop for work.

I think the all in one bath would be a huge plus as well.

The 25's are available with a second A/C unit and while we aren't planning to camp where it's hot (we prefer cooler weather) I keep hearing about how difficult these trailers are to cool between just being made of aluminum and the transfer of heat through the ribs from the outside skin to the inside. There's insulation, but not where the ribs are. Have you had any issues staying cool?

We have yet to see the 23' in person, so I'm sure that will help with the process.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
1 A/C enough for a 25' AS?

We have a 2019 25' FC RBT with 1 A/C. Spent 4 months in it in Florida this past winter. Several 90 degree days in full sun. No shade trees at LYH. 1 A/C did the job with no problem. We set at 73 or 74 and A/C kept right up.

Couple thoughts. 1 A/C is less expensive. 30 amp cord is a whole lot easier to deal with. Unit will weigh a bit less. You keep your second Fantastic Fan which is a big plus IMHO. Yes, with 50 amp power you can run several energy gulping things at once. We have never had a problem with having just 30 amp service even when we had our 2017 International serenity 23D (now called a 23CB). We run the A/C and use the micro at the same time. Water Heater is usually on electric power unless I want a really long shower then I switch on the gas burner to provide additional heating.

Final thought.....that 6" in additional width and few feet longer and the rear bed twin layout is a world better the 23. Yep, the one room bathroom in the 23FB is nice. We took a serious look at that model before buying a 23D. How much time do you spend in the bathroom? The 25' has a really nice sink/commode space with lots of storage. It is the same bath that is in the 30' FC RBT.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
We have a 2019 25' FC RBT with 1 A/C. Spent 4 months in it in Florida this past winter. Several 90 degree days in full sun. No shade trees at LYH. 1 A/C did the job with no problem. We set at 73 or 74 and A/C kept right up.

Couple thoughts. 1 A/C is less expensive. 30 amp cord is a whole lot easier to deal with. Unit will weigh a bit less. You keep your second Fantastic Fan which is a big plus IMHO. Yes, with 50 amp power you can run several energy gulping things at once. We have never had a problem with having just 30 amp service even when we had our 2017 International serenity 23D (now called a 23CB). We run the A/C and use the micro at the same time. Water Heater is usually on electric power unless I want a really long shower then I switch on the gas burner to provide additional heating.

Final thought.....that 6" in additional width and few feet longer and the rear bed twin layout is a world better the 23. Yep, the one room bathroom in the 23FB is nice. We took a serious look at that model before buying a 23D. How much time do you spend in the bathroom? The 25' has a really nice sink/commode space with lots of storage. It is the same bath that is in the 30' FC RBT.
Thanks very much for the reply and the insight. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

I honestly have no need for 50A service outside of running a second A/C; our current trailer has 30A amp and I've never found myself wishing for more. I tend to run "hot" and prefer temps in the mid- to high-60's, thus the consideration for the second unit. Plus it provides redundancy. Of course, this isn't even an option on the 23.

Fair question on time spent in the bathroom. One of the things I like about the FC 25RB versus the 25FB is the larger bathroom. It would be plenty big enough. But I find the concept of a split bath - any split bath - odd. To get from one private area to another, you're either walking across the hallway in full view of anyone else inside (or outside if your curtains are open) or you draw the accordion dividers or curtains and shut people off from either the bedroom or the living area. Maybe I'm over-thinking it (or overly-modest) but once I'm in the bathroom, I'd like to complete all tasks behind a single door :-)

I looked at the FC26 for this very reason, but it too is very tongue heavy, and I'm not sure I'd want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton, so it's out of the mix.

Finally, thanks for the thoughts on the extra 6" width and 2' length. You're not the first person to say that. I can't wait to actually visit the 23 in-person to get a real feel for it.

Jim
Old 04-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Bathroom privacy in 25' FC RBT

First mod we made was to reverse the direction the door opens to the sink/commode room. Took me maybe 30 minutes to remove door and reinstall so that it opens from the rear of the trailer. You just flip it over and presto chango, instant private bath. Easy peasy. Why on earth Airstream thought it was a good idea to have the bathroom door open towards the front living area. During this mod makes it very easy to have the whole back of the trailer private from the front. Pull the pleated curtain across, then open bathroom door, then open wardrobe door and you have a fully private and spacious area to do all of your business. Works great. I explained and demonstrated this mod to a factory rep at the 2020 Tampa RV show. He took a moment and scratched his head and said that makes perfect sense. I replied, "Yes, we know".

If you wind up with a 25' FC RBT I have several more minor mods I will share with you that make a fine Airstream even finer!!! Have a great day!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Okay...I read through the posts and now have a question. You see, I was alerted to the Globetrotter twin model and like the style- enough to actually consider buying one! Then suddenly I had those, "am I crazy" thoughts. Yet, there remains a question that i would like to hear some thoughts- Comparatively speaking, there can be thousands of dollars difference between Airstream trim models- Flying Cloud, International, Classic, Globetrotter. Differences are harder to spot aside from fabrics, locker styles, etc. Smeserole in the post said they would have been just as happy with a Flying Cloud but were enjoying the upgrades from one 23' to another. Is there a comparative list of features between the Globetrotter line and the Flying Cloud line per se?

@uraljohn,
Quote:
Doing this mod makes it very easy to have the whole back of the trailer private from the front. Pull the pleated curtain across, then open bathroom door, then open wardrobe door and you have a fully private and spacious area to do all of your business. Works great.
Yes! I have a different model year than you but I did a "poor man's mod" similar to yours. Instead of changing the door I added a hook for a pull curtain basically providing the same thing- privacy from the front. Welcome to the Design Team!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Okay...I read through the posts and now have a question. You see, I was alerted to the Globetrotter twin model and like the style- enough to actually consider buying one! Then suddenly I had those, "am I crazy" thoughts. Yet, there remains a question that i would like to hear some thoughts- Comparatively speaking, there can be thousands of dollars difference between Airstream trim models- Flying Cloud, International, Classic, Globetrotter. Differences are harder to spot aside from fabrics, locker styles, etc. Smeserole in the post said they would have been just as happy with a Flying Cloud but were enjoying the upgrades from one 23' to another. Is there a comparative list of features between the Globetrotter line and the Flying Cloud line per se?

@uraljohn,

Yes! I have a different model year than you but I did a "poor man's mod" similar to yours. Instead of changing the door I added a hook for a pull curtain basically providing the same thing- privacy from the front. Welcome to the Design Team!
Our first Airstream was a 2018 Flying Cloud 23FB Queen in Honey color. We loved the “Airstream Experience” but wished we had gone with the 25’ because of the u-shaped dinette. At the end of the season we visited the dealer and explained our frustration. The salesperson said this time “pick out the one you really want”.

We chose a 27’ Globetrotter twin in Walnut/Dublin Slate. The Honey color of the Flying Cloud was okay but the Walnut and white countertop/cabinet doors looked more inviting. Sure the 27’ FC would be the same layout but we’re really glad we went with the GT. You only go around once so if you can afford it, why not?

Good luck!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I’ve never seen a list that calls out the specific differences per se, though that would be handy.

Broadly speaking, and aside from the obvious visual and decor differences, Internationals seem to add a powered awning and a solid surface countertop. The Globetrotter adds to that power lift jacks, fancier plumbing fixtures, Infinity flooring, blackout curtains everywhere as opposed to rollers shades in some places, and the Tuft and Needle mattresses. I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed, but that’s off the top of my head. The overhead lockers and cabinet hardware are all different too.

On the 23s, you can get the Flying Cloud and the International Serenity as a front corner bedroom or a front bedroom queen. The corner bed in the CB is a non-starter for us as is the awkward-looking corner bath with the sink in the bedroom space. The sideways queen in the FB would be ok except you get more outdoor storage with twins, and the bedroom can double as a work or lounge space, which to me is critical as the dinette is the only sitting space in this floor plan.

What makes the 23 Globetrotter a contender at all is the fact that it’s the only 23 with a twin bed option. If this was offered in the Flying Cloud trim, we would be looking at that instead as going from Flying Cloud to Globetrotter usually means a $15,000 jump in price on most models.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I love the layout of the GT 23 twin; however, I wish there was an option to remove the dinette and replace with two recliners and a swivel table in the center for lounging/eating.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #31
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We went from a 2011 23 FC FB queen, to a 2020 25 GT FB twin. We really liked the 23FB, obviously as we kept it for 8 years. Retired last year, and are spending a lot more time in it. The extra width and length, plus the twin configuration make it seem twice as big. We are still pulling it with a half ton pickup, although we are probably over on payload, it pulls very well. Possibly smoother than the 23. I just can’t go for a rear BR. We back into 90% of our campsites, and the view is out the back..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albany , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
Thanks so much for the reply.

I think we're down to a 23' Globetrotter FBT or a 25' Flying Cloud RBT. A bit "apples and oranges" in many respects, but very close on price if you check all of the option boxes on the FC.

We don't yet have a tow vehicle either - we're going to choose the trailer first - but we're not going to go the 3/4 ton route. The 23' Globetrotter could be pulled by just about any configuration of any 1/2 ton pickup without bumping up against any limits, including payload. The 25' Flying Cloud RB is heavier on the tongue, but still towable by most 1/2 tons either with the payload package (if offered) or with the proper cab/bed configuration.

The 25' Flying Cloud FB is a different story altogether as you pointed out. The tongue weight there escalates very quickly since outside storage is up front and any additional weight from full tanks or a second A/C sits ahead of the axel. The RB is just the opposite.

You make a good point about the beds doubling as a lounge area. I've heard a couple of other people say this as well. I can imagine using them as a lounge or even setting up a small portable table in the aisle to hold a laptop for work.

I think the all in one bath would be a huge plus as well.

The 25's are available with a second A/C unit and while we aren't planning to camp where it's hot (we prefer cooler weather) I keep hearing about how difficult these trailers are to cool between just being made of aluminum and the transfer of heat through the ribs from the outside skin to the inside. There's insulation, but not where the ribs are. Have you had any issues staying cool?

We have yet to see the 23' in person, so I'm sure that will help with the process.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Jim

We are down to the GT23FBT and FC25fbt with hatch. I would like to know the weight the hatch adds to the back and takes off the tongue with the added hatchback.
We have a Chevy Silverado with 9600 lb tow rating.
Thanks for any input.

Mitch
Mefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefree View Post
We are down to the GT23FBT and FC25fbt with hatch. I would like to know the weight the hatch adds to the back and takes off the tongue with the added hatchback.
We have a Chevy Silverado with 9600 lb tow rating.
Thanks for any input.

Mitch
Mitch,

Did you mean the 27 foot? I didn't think you could get a 25 with the rear hatch; I always thought that was exclusive to the 27 FC.

One thing to keep in mind about the 25FB plans is that the actual tongue weights seem to be much heavier in the real world that Airstream claims. Actual weights of 1,200 pounds don't seem unusual. Compared to the 25RB, all of the "extra" weight introduced by a full fresh water tank, possibly a second air conditioner, and whatever you stuff into the outside storage compartments are all in front of the axle, which means it adds to the tongue weight.

While the Silverado may tow 9,600 pounds, be sure to check the payload capacity of your truck (tongue weight adds to cargo/payload) as well as your hitch receiver specs. A Class III hitch that's rated for weight distribution has a maximum tongue weight of 1,000 pounds. A Class IV can handle 1,400 pounds using a weight-distribution hitch.

Jim
Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Albany , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
Mitch,

Did you mean the 27 foot? I didn't think you could get a 25 with the rear hatch; I always thought that was exclusive to the 27 FC.

One thing to keep in mind about the 25FB plans is that the actual tongue weights seem to be much heavier in the real world that Airstream claims. Actual weights of 1,200 pounds don't seem unusual. Compared to the 25RB, all of the "extra" weight introduced by a full fresh water tank, possibly a second air conditioner, and whatever you stuff into the outside storage compartments are all in front of the axle, which means it adds to the tongue weight.

While the Silverado may tow 9,600 pounds, be sure to check the payload capacity of your truck (tongue weight adds to cargo/payload) as well as your hitch receiver specs. A Class III hitch that's rated for weight distribution has a maximum tongue weight of 1,000 pounds. A Class IV can handle 1,400 pounds using a weight-distribution hitch.

Jim

25’ is a new offering for 2021. May need to change tow vehicle if we go with FC25 rear hatch or GT25. Thank you for this information.
Mefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Lots of people pulling 25’ AS front BR with half tons. Just have to be aware of extras you bring along. You’ll have to leave your motorcycle at home.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The rear hatch was the sole province of the Eddie Baur series and the similar idea limited production units. Now that most of the Airstream product line 25" and up are crowding and exceeding the $100,000 mark for even the lowest trim line, I guess Airstream all allow other models to have the hatch.

Our 2014 31' Classic listed for around $97K including 50 amp service. These new prices sure do not reflect inflation and reading the forum shows QC is still a major issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Globetrotter
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
We started with a 2017 23D International Serenity. It was the 8' wide body. Great trailer. We sold it after 2 years and purchased a 2019 25 Flying Cloud RBT. The extra 6" in width is monumental!!!!

We did very well when we sold the 23D. In retrospect we should have purchased the 25 FC RBT first and been done with it. For some reason it even feels more stable when pulling. Used the same Equalizer hitch just re-set up for the 25.

We got 20% off MSRP on the 23D (Colonial) and 23% of MSRP on the 25 FC (Out of Doors Mart). Both dealers very good to work with. No hidden fees as we do not finance. Happy travels with whatever you choose.
I take it you went to the Greensboro, NC airstream dealership, right? And you had a good experience there? We live on the OBX (NC), and our first AS was the 2019 Nest from Ashland , Va AS of VA, which was a horrible experience. So we drove all the way up to NJ to get our 2019FC19CBB from Patrick at Colonial. We were stoked with everything we experienced there. We will be upgrading to either the GT23FBT or GT25FBT in a few years to come, and someone had mentioned Greensboro AS to us.
RichAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Globetrotter
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Well, peeps, we just pulled the trigger on ordering our 2022 Globetrotter 23 FBT from Patrick at Colonial. Should be arriving this October. One more glamping trip to Mama Gertie’s in our 2019 Flying Cloud 19 CBB before putting it on the market for sale around mid May of this year. That will be only the second time we have been camping in it. Just not enough space for us. With the 23 FBT, we won’t need to trade in our Tundra for a 2500 TV (which, unfortunately, Toyota doesn’t even manufacture right now. We’re stoked!
RichAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote