Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
Check your 12-v system wiring diagram in your owner's manual. On my '16 a blue 12 AWG wire from the "always on" bus routes to the break away switch and on to the breaks. Circuit normally open - emergency switch closes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
UB- are you sure about the "breakaway system" being tied to a battery? My other flatbed trailer with similar disconnect for brakes does not have a battery..when emergency brake disconnect wire is pulled, it fires from the harness connected to my truck, I believe? Anyone know for sure?
eganwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
UB- are you sure about the "breakaway system" being tied to a battery? My other flatbed trailer with similar disconnect for brakes does not have a battery..when emergency brake disconnect wire is pulled, it fires from the harness connected to my truck, I believe? Anyone know for sure?

But, I believe they all come with batteries when shipped from AS, as you all indicated.
What about when that cable and the safety chains break and the trailer takes off across oncoming traffic? THAT is when the breakaway brakes come into their own, but without being powered by an on-trailer battery, they don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
Check your 12-v system wiring diagram in your owner's manual. On my '16 a blue 12 AWG wire from the "always on" bus routes to the break away switch and on to the breaks. Circuit normally open - emergency switch closes it.
I have only one quibble. The switch is Normally Closed, but is held Open by the breakaway plunger.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

But, I believe they all come with batteries when shipped from AS, as you all indicated.
Hi

Yup, the magic break away switch goes straight to the battery on the trailer. Leave it unplugged and you will flatten the trailer battery, probably in under an hour. You also may fry the magnets in the brakes. Since they are electric powered brakes, there's not a lot of other ways to make it work.

One could debate the need for chains plus switch plus the latch on the hitch. The bottom line seems to be that indeed, redundancy is needed. I actually know people who have "used" the feature and there are lots of stories ...

So - always make sure your battery is charged up when you pull out. ....

Why go into all this detail? It's winter storage time, people just might take shortcuts pulling out of storage in the spring .... you have been cautioned

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Battery water level is routine maintenance - owner responsibility.
My dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta did cover battery maintenance in my (extensive) walk-thru when I purchased my new AS. Very thorough and patient with all of my questions.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:

The whole point of the breakaway is to apply the trailer brakes in a "dumb" fashion (unmodulated, full-lock) if the trailer actually gets loose from the tow vehicle. I've seen utility trailer systems that use a little battery that gets charged from the tow vehicle and would have enough juice to power the brake magnets for a few minutes... maybe there's a small battery somewhere on your flatbed? Or maybe its breakaway system really doesn't work?

I guess surge-brake system expect the tongue to dig in if the trailer gets loose and activate the brakes that way...

This is one with the little built-in battery:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bre...ins/20099.html

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The whole point of the breakaway is to apply the trailer brakes in a "dumb" fashion (unmodulated, full-lock) if the trailer actually gets loose from the tow vehicle. I've seen utility trailer systems that use a little battery that gets charged from the tow vehicle and would have enough juice to power the brake magnets for a few minutes... maybe there's a small battery somewhere on your flatbed? Or maybe its breakaway system really doesn't work?

I guess surge-brake system expect the tongue to dig in if the trailer gets loose and activate the brakes that way...

This is one with the little built-in battery:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bre...ins/20099.html
Hi

At some size point, break away setups are an "optional" item. I have no idea if that varies state to state or if the fed's come up with that "answer". There are a lot of boat trailers out there with no break away on them at all. There also are a lot of light weight "garden gear" haulers in the same category.

Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #47

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

At some size point, break away setups are an "optional" item. I have no idea if that varies state to state or if the fed's come up with that "answer". There are a lot of boat trailers out there with no break away on them at all. There also are a lot of light weight "garden gear" haulers in the same category.

Bob
It varies by state... somewhere around 3000 lb most states require trailer brakes (a few use a much higher weight though), and many of the states requiring trailer brakes also require a breakaway. There's no exemption that I know of for boat trailers beyond the weight... A quick glance through the AAA collection of state trailer regs looks like 20 states have a breakaway requirement, and none seem to exempt boat trailers.

Texas is pretty lax as such things go... brakes are required for a gross trailer weight over 4500 lb and I don't think the breakaway is legally mandated (they don't check it during the annual "inspection").

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
My utility trailer is a dual axel rated at 5,000lbs. I know the brakes work fine when connected; not sure if the brakeaway switch has rechargeable battery...I use it maybe twice a year when in MT..I purchased new 10 years ago...

But, somehow we have gotten off topic....again....from the OP post.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #49

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
My utility trailer is a dual axel rated at 5,000lbs. I know the brakes work fine when connected; not sure if the brakeaway switch has rechargeable battery...I use it maybe twice a year when in MT..I purchased new 10 years ago...

But, somehow we have gotten off topic....again....from the OP post.
While we're on the off-topic... Looks like you need a battery somewhere. For MT, per AAA:
... every trailer and pole trailer with a GVW in excess of 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels that are designed to be applied automatically and promptly, and remain applied for at least 15 minutes upon breakaway from the towing vehicle.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
BoatMate Trailer for our 21' Allison GSE

The surge brake cable releases a spring actuated plunger to apply the brakes on the trailing axle.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_150f.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	329262  
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
While we're on the off-topic... Looks like you need a battery somewhere. For MT, per AAA:
... every trailer and pole trailer with a GVW in excess of 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels that are designed to be applied automatically and promptly, and remain applied for at least 15 minutes upon breakaway from the towing vehicle.
Now that I think about it, there is a little 4" sq. box mounted on the front that the brake wires come out of. Never considered there might be a battery in there...I will check out this summer...when snow melts!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you think about it, the battery does not need to be very big. If it's got enough power to clamp the brakes on for a minute ... that's good enough. Something like you would find inside a computer UPS would do the trick just fine. Even if the brakes pull 10A (which they don't) you would need < 0.2 AH to get the job done.

Since this is all pretty obscure, I'd bet that roughly 99.99% of the small trailers that get rigged this way are running around with dead batteries after about 5 years on the road.

Bob
Old 12-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #53

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you think about it, the battery does not need to be very big. If it's got enough power to clamp the brakes on for a minute ... that's good enough. Something like you would find inside a computer UPS would do the trick just fine. Even if the brakes pull 10A (which they don't) you would need < 0.2 AH to get the job done.

Since this is all pretty obscure, I'd bet that roughly 99.99% of the small trailers that get rigged this way are running around with dead batteries after about 5 years on the road.

Bob
Many of the states requiring breakaway systems (per the AAA info website) have a 15-minute standard, I guess to give you time to get back to the trailer and chock it safely before the battery gives out.

I do wonder what sort of a battery lives in the black box on those packaged systems e-trailer sells... it says there's a rechargeable battery in there that charges from the tow vehicle but doesn't give any more info.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Many of the states requiring breakaway systems (per the AAA info website) have a 15-minute standard, I guess to give you time to get back to the trailer and chock it safely before the battery gives out.

I do wonder what sort of a battery lives in the black box on those packaged systems e-trailer sells... it says there's a rechargeable battery in there that charges from the tow vehicle but doesn't give any more info.
Hi

Given all the admonitions to never ever use the breakaway as a parking brake (or you will toast the brake windings) ..... yikes .....

Even at a quarter hour, the typical 2 or 3A load does not get you to 1AH of drain. Still a mighty small battery required.

Bob
Old 12-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

It may get charged when plugged into the pigtail in the back of the truck, perhaps? I have never thought about it. Brakes strength need to be dialed down on my trailer brake control built in to my F250 when I use this trailer, which is only few times in the summer, but I been using this trailer since new for about 10 years now. Brakes always seem to work fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
It may get charged when plugged into the pigtail in the back of the truck, perhaps? I have never thought about it. Brakes strength need to be dialed down on my trailer brake control built in to my F250 when I use this trailer, which is only few times in the summer, but I been using this trailer since new for about 10 years now. Brakes always seem to work fine.
Hi

One would guess that the battery would be charged from the 7 pin. It is only used when the breakaway is "active" ( = the magic plastic plug is out of the little switch box). The battery being charged / not charged / totally missing would have no effect at all on normal brake operation. All power for normal braking comes over the brake wires on the 7 pin. Yes, that's a bit weird.

Bob