Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Silver is the new black

2018 30' Classic
NAPA , California
Trailker Brakes

I just purchased my 2018 Classic 30.

My brake system is a Prodigy 2. It worked well on my 2006 Komfort tow-able.

This unit reads 6.1 - 6.2 - 6.3.

In crawling traffic the trailer started to lock up. I cleared the settings by moving front lever from right to left. It still locked up.

I reset the dialing wheel to all three settings 6.1 - 6.2 - 6.3. No help.

I finally got through the traffic snarl. The next day, on a clear road I reset the brakes to 6.1, and it seems to have cleared up.

I stopped by a trailer hitch shop. The guy tells me my trailer has to learn the controller on it's own and it should to go.

Am I missing something here? Am I safe to go back out on the road, or should I be looking to replace the P2? If so, replace to what, a P3? or is there a better brand?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not much help here, our trailer controller is built into our F350 and in two Airstreams now so far no issues. There is an Airstream repair facility in Sacramento, he used to be in the NAPA area - Vinnie's Airstreams, you might try calling him. Even living in PA he has helped me out.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The guy at the hitch shop is either a poor communicator or poorly informed. The trailer doesn't "learn" anything about the brake controller.

Now, I found the P3 to be finicky in long traffic engagements. I generally ran it at boost level 2 on the highway but in traffic or around town if I didn't turn boost off entirely, it would start to get "grabby" with the brakes after a few applications in quick succession. I don't know if this is different behavior from the magnets or brakes when they heat up, or some odd behavior of the time+accelerometer guesstimations the Prodigy does or what. And, I changed truck and trailer at the same time so I never towed our original trailer with the new truck with the built-in brake controller.

Still, I experienced something very much like you, with the next model of the Prodigy, on a 2-axle trailer with drum brakes. If there's a boost on the P2 you can turn on and off easily, see if that improves things.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
P2 or 3 is a basic controller, in a manner of speaking. One shouldn't use a lesser unit.

The OP might look at threads on the TUSON DirecLink. Much more sophisticated.
Several users who post frequently.

How these things work is worth understanding.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote