Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Streaming to the bedroom TV

Ok here goes, when watching DVD's we can watch them on either TV when both are sourced HDMI, no problem. So now we stream Netflix to the dinette TV but can not get it on the bedroom TV. Dinette TV is a smart TV and the bedroom is not. We have a 1 x 2 HDMI splitter coming from the DVD player to each TV which allows viewing DVD's to each TV. Do I need a smart TV in the bedroom or a different HDMI hookup?
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Unless your dinette TV has an HDMI output you either need a smart bedroom TV or a smart DVD player.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Get yourself a Google Chromecast for the bedroom tv. You can then stream Netflix to the tv along with just about anything. Chromecasts are about $35. We have one on both TVs.

It will work with just about anything except amazon prime.

Uses the available HDMI port.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Go to the Globetrotter 2018 and current Trailer Forum. Look up the latest post by "ddrg" - Three more 2018 Globetrotter audio / visual modifications. The first option may answer your question. Or, you could PM ddrg. He seems pretty knowledgeable in this area.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Unless your dinette TV has an HDMI output you either need a smart bedroom TV or a smart DVD player.

Al
Yep, all of the subsequent posters took a wider view than I did. Chromecast, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Roku, and others are all potential solutions. As long as you have good Internet connections from a phone or hot spot, which you are apparently using for the dinette TV.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Yep, all of the subsequent posters took a wider view than I did. Chromecast, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Roku, and others are all potential solutions. As long as you have good Internet connections from a phone or hot spot, which you are apparently using for the dinette TV.

Al

I download movies onto my iPhone from Netflix, and then use “screen mirroring “ to watch with Apple TV, which I plug into my non-smart airstream supplied factory tv. No internet connection required and does not use up your data.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I download movies onto my iPhone from Netflix, and then use “screen mirroring “ to watch with Apple TV, which I plug into my non-smart airstream supplied factory tv. No internet connection required and does not use up your data.

Just to be clear, I download movies from Netflix onto my iPhone while I’m at home with WiFi, super fast download time.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We tossed the POC Blue Ray player and put in an Apple TV; used the HDMI formerly for the player to link the bedroom TV. Even though the BR TV is not "smart," we can still watch on source HDMI 1 whatever is playing through the Apple TV on the main cabin TV. If we watch through the Smart functions on the main TV, we are not able to watch the same on the BR TV. New gen Apple TVs can store a lot of video, so you do not always need a good cell or other wifi signal to use it. Also of course play video on our Iphones through the Apple TV, we do that on Amazon Prime, HBOGO and Netflix, as well as video purchased through the Itunes Store. Simple and we love it.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
A good question is.......why is one a smart tv and the other is not? Aren't they both the same?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
A good question is.......why is one a smart tv and the other is not? Aren't they both the same?

On my 2016 FC 27 both TV’s are not smart. I added a splitter so I can plug in my DirectV receiver, Apple TV, and factory DVD player and watch them on either of my 2 TV’s. I bought a splitter at Monoprice.com. I think it has 3 or 4 inputs and 2 outputs, which go to my 2 TV’s. It also has a remote.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Thanks to all for their advice. Don't watch a lot of TV so not in a big rush to do anything. It is a bummer though.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
On my 2016 FC 27 both TV’s are not smart. I added a splitter so I can plug in my DirectV receiver, Apple TV, and factory DVD player and watch them on either of my 2 TV’s. I bought a splitter at Monoprice.com. I think it has 3 or 4 inputs and 2 outputs, which go to my 2 TV’s. It also has a remote.
Seen and used them, they are power hogs as a byproduct...but got the idea...

In my case, I'll most likely just buy a smart tv as needed if one is smart and the other is dumb.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:

I’m pretty sure the manufacturer doesn’t even make a smart TV in the size of the bedroom TV. It’s cost prohibitive as that TV is in competition with computer monitors. If you put in a Smart option, people would have no need to jump up to larger size TV or would just go to a computer monitor to save a couple bucks.

I put in a switch so I can have multiple items hooked up and can pay on both TVs. We have an AppleTV and a PS4. Removed the blue ray player. Unfortunately, cannot play two different things in the TVs at the same time (unless it’s directly connected to the back TV) but haven’t had the need for wife to be watching Tv in one room and me watch something else in the other.

Hope this doesn’t confuse anything

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I guess another option is to replace your DVD player with a smart DVD player to stream Netflix from that instead of your TV.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Get yourself a Google Chromecast for the bedroom tv. You can then stream Netflix to the tv along with just about anything. Chromecasts are about $35. We have one on both TVs.

It will work with just about anything except amazon prime.

Uses the available HDMI port.
Actually, the Google Chromecast works with Amazon Prime at our house. However, it requires that you use your cell phone as a remote. In my AS, which has a non-smart television, I use a Roku stick. It comes with a remote and plugs into the HDMI port.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Airstream Connected & Chromecast???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
Ok here goes, when watching DVD's we can watch them on either TV when both are sourced HDMI, no problem. So now we stream Netflix to the dinette TV but can not get it on the bedroom TV. Dinette TV is a smart TV and the bedroom is not. We have a 1 x 2 HDMI splitter coming from the DVD player to each TV which allows viewing DVD's to each TV. Do I need a smart TV in the bedroom or a different HDMI hookup?
This month I had JC install the Airstream Connected in my 2018 Flying Cloud. Yesterday I tried to connect my Chromecast to the Airstream Connected but I was not successful. Any idea why that may be? Thanks.
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2travel View Post
This month I had JC install the Airstream Connected in my 2018 Flying Cloud. Yesterday I tried to connect my Chromecast to the Airstream Connected but I was not successful. Any idea why that may be? Thanks.
I haven't used my chromecast in a while.....but to be sure, it is updated to the latest and greatest firmware from Google?

Does it see "any" SSID from anywhere?

You should see something like Airstream_1234???

Also be aware that the AS connected only operates at 2.4GHz and not 5Ghz so if it (Chromecast) has been previously set to 5GHz, you won't see the Airstream SSID unless 2.4GHz is enabled on the Chromecast.

I'll fire mine up today to see if I can see what your seeing.

Chris
Old 08-20-2020, 02:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
I haven't used my chromecast in a while.....but to be sure, it is updated to the latest and greatest firmware from Google?

Does it see "any" SSID from anywhere?

You should see something like Airstream_1234???

Also be aware that the AS connected only operates at 2.4GHz and not 5Ghz so if it (Chromecast) has been previously set to 5GHz, you won't see the Airstream SSID unless 2.4GHz is enabled on the Chromecast.

I'll fire mine up today to see if I can see what your seeing.

Chris
Thanks. Based on this thread I went ahead and installed Apple TV and it works well.
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:12 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
We're Apple-TV'd too.

Replaced OE HDMI 1x2 splitter with 2x2 HDMI splitter w/remote which allows either or both DVD and Apple to be independently (or simultaneously) signaled to either/both LR or BR TV.

Still would prefer to replace BR TV with a true Smart TV but yet to find on in the size needed (albeit, not high on my current list of priorities for the AS). If anyone has found one, please let me know the make/model.

Here is a link to the 2x2 HDMI splitter we purchased ...easy swap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
We're Apple-TV'd too.

Replaced OE HDMI 1x2 splitter with 2x2 HDMI splitter w/remote which allows either or both DVD and Apple to be independently (or simultaneously) signaled to either/both LR or BR TV.

Still would prefer to replace BR TV with a true Smart TV but yet to find on in the size needed (albeit, not high on my current list of priorities for the AS). If anyone has found one, please let me know the make/model.

Here is a link to the 2x2 HDMI splitter we purchased ...easy swap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did something similar but kept the 2x1 so both TV's get the same signal. I added a 3x2 matrix switcher to input the blu-ray, amazon fire stick, cox cable box and then feed the 2x1. It allows us to control the sources to any TV from anywhere without having to pick and choose. The DW doesn't want to mess around with complex signal selection, so the matrix autoswitches when the source becomes active.

I left it this way because the 2x1 handles any resolution conflicts when the source activates. However, both TV's seem to handle 1080p 60 frames just fine, but I can see when I turn on one or the other tv there is a resolution handshake occurring and that is where the 2x1 handles this issue without disturbing the other TV.