Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Tow vehicle selection is not the topic of this thread. In addition, as a "four rivet" member of this forum you know very well that tow vehicles are one of the most fraught topics on the forum, and that drawing this new participant into a tow vehicle discussion would drag their thread far away from the question for which they have requested input. Instead of professing to be concerned about "audience participation," let's focus on helping this person get answers to the questions they are asking, shall we?

That said, we had a front bedroom (27FB) trailer for seven years. We loved the FB configuration because we had so many campsites with fantastic views out the rear windows where our lounge was positioned. That said, there's really no wrong answer. Sit in plenty of models on the dealers' lots, pretend you're camping and think about how the setup would work for you.
Dearest Roci-
You may have missed the last question the OP had, about "Hitch weight" So, the more audience participation, possibly about tow vehicles that could safely handle additional weight question, might possibly be of assistance to the OP, in their choice.
Who also states they are a newbie.
So, the more participation, the better!
And those additional members of the audience, will most likely have a take on the bedroom(s) configuration.
Me? I'll go with the 3/4 Ton or larger Tow vehicle, for these larger trailer/ configuration choices, which will safely handle additional tongue weight...
Safety first!
Thanks,
B.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Front bedroom

I like the view of the front bedroom. I second the twin bed idea also. With twin beds you won't have the temptations to overload the front of the trailer. If you have a dog it is more comfortable.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Regarding my post above about the Refrigerator fan, not to hijack the OP’s thread here, but if any of you other RB owners had found a fix for this, I’m all ears.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Regarding my post above about the Refrigerator fan, not to hijack the OP’s thread here, but if any of you other RB owners had found a fix for this, I’m all ears.
You can do a forum search on fridge fan and see a number of different fixes. Some added more fans, some bigger, all quieter. It's a big discussion area.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
ANYWAY, my question is: what works best, the FRONT bedroom, or REAR bedroom? I heard earlier (on this forum) that the front bedroom, not so much, because it adds weight to the hitch weight. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Dorsey
Hi Dorsey, out 23' model has the emergency window in the back and a regular size small window. In the front it's one large window but still, not a wrap around style. Our bedroom is in the back and because of the smaller windows I think we sleep better, it's darker and quieter. I think the size of the windows makes a big difference. For us, in the daytime, we're outside, weather permitting. We take a kayak with us and travel the waterways, we take hikes, travel to nearby small towns to see what's there. At night we're inside, reading or watching TV. So it's rare that we're just sitting inside and looking outside.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have owned a 22 sport, a 25 rear bed twin FC, and a 27 front bed twin FC.
Our first 2 were in accidents and we traded vs dealing with repairs.

We much preferred sleeping in the 25 rear bed. Why? Because we prefer to sleep with windows open, and there is just a lot more privacy in most camp sites when you back in and have the bedroom there. With the front bed, the bed is by the tongue/your truck. So it seems to be where the road is, and other campers driving by, or their lights shine in from their sites. The rear bedroom was more restful in our experience.

We also liked the bathroom better in the 25 rear bed as the toilet area had more leg and hip room, and there was a daylight window in the bathroom which I liked for getting ready. I also liked the mirror and cabinetry better. The showers are virtually identical and neither feels larger.

Now, the closet is much better in the 27, but actually there is more storage inside than we need.

With the twins you get lots of under bed storage too.

Overall though, the 25 rear bed twin is the IDEAL for exterior storage because it has that huge locker across the entire back of the unit--under the beds and night stand. You could easily fit all you golf gear in there. Definitely your full travel bag, and maybe even a decent stroller/manual push cart. Seriously we miss that too. We carried a step ladder, gas grill, lots of tools and crate with extras in there. My husband misses it and complains about the front storage behind the propane every trip vs how much he liked that big rear storage on the 25 twin.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
International serenity 25 FB...I’m really going to miss the rear panoramic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A8B76D7-4C5C-4A68-A031-CC9576A70610.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	391385   Click image for larger version

Name:	74D1303C-88A5-4B91-B6B9-A9853FCC6498.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	391386  

Name:	8DABC67D-092D-4018-A8E3-7E4AC614F6BD.jpg
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	391387   Click image for larger version

Name:	63558E9C-0E1B-47F1-8E63-F5F31704D920.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	391388  

s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
We are front bed fans for sure. Love the views out the back. We have yet to encounter a spot where we wished it was reversed. We have the twin bed option and love the extra mattress space and outside storage. We pull with a 1500 and do not have a tongue weight problem.
I also prefer the rear entry door. When open, it does block (or possible break) any window. There is also no chance of it opening into the wind going down the road, which some have experienced on a front entry door.
As you can tell we are an opinionated bunch. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your AS!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
We have A 2021 International 25RBT
Went with this for the following reasons:
1. Lighter tongue weight
2. Exterior storage under the twin beds being in the back not inhibited by the propane tanks.
3. slightly larger bathroom. Toilet not angled towards the door. I’m 6’-1” so this is a plus.
4. With this plan you get the convection microwave AND the LP oven.
5. Quieter sleeping in the back vs front.

Only negatives so far
Typically the better view is in the back.
This is really annoying.... the 2 way Dometic refrigerator in this plan has a cooling fan in the exterior compartment that kicks on at regular intervals. It is very loud and drives us nuts if you are laying there trying to go to sleep. So bring earplugs, some melotonin, or a stiff drink before bed. My understanding is that the 25FB does not have this. Has to do with the way it’s vented.

Still , I think the positives outweigh the negatives bay at least for us anyway.
Excellent information! Especially the part about that cooling fan! I will remind myself to ask about this when I visit the nearby AS dealer...and yes, I am leaning towards the 25' instead of the 27'. CONGRATULATION on your brand new International...I might be your new twin on the road soon.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
About the refrigerator and fan noise....since the beginning of RV fridges, the fridges have been "absorption" type units. These are two-way (propane/120volt power) or three-way (propane, 120volt, 12volt) devices and produce a lot of heat when running. Therefore they need good air venting at the back. On the Airstream 25FB, the exhaust vent goes through the roof and does not need a fan. On the 25RB, the exhaust vent is on the side and needs a fan, which brings up the noise issue mentioned above.

But on the 2021 trailers, Airstream has switched to "compressor" fridges on many models. Those are electric-only and don't have venting concerns.

My own preference for front vs. rear bedroom is for front bedroom, mainly driven by having the view out the back from the living area. We have over 1000 nights in our 25FB.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I want to go to school where your kids go

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
International serenity 25 FB...I’m really going to miss the rear panoramic!
Nothing better than the rear view IMO
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Front bed, and Oxford commas: the two mountains I will die on.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #33
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
We have A 2021 International 25RBT

Went with this for the following reasons:

1. Lighter tongue weight

2. Exterior storage under the twin beds being in the back not inhibited by the propane tanks.

3. slightly larger bathroom. Toilet not angled towards the door. I’m 6’-1” so this is a plus.

4. With this plan you get the convection microwave AND the LP oven.

5. Quieter sleeping in the back vs front.

Only negatives so far

Typically the better view is in the back.

This is really annoying.... the 2 way Dometic refrigerator in this plan has a cooling fan in the exterior compartment that kicks on at regular intervals. It is very loud and drives us nuts if you are laying there trying to go to sleep. So bring earplugs, some melotonin, or a stiff drink before bed. My understanding is that the 25FB does not have this. Has to do with the way it’s vented.

Still , I think the positives outweigh the negatives bay at least for us anyway.

There are mods on the forum for swapping out the one loud fan with 2-3 much quieter fans with a bonus being improved refrigerator performance, this was one of my first mods and we are really happy we made the switch. Maybe $50 all in for parts and an hour of your time.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I would rather look out the rear of the unit at nature than the back of my truck
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to pixelhead
Why I love my Airstream

Having been living in my Airstream almost full-time for coming on 12 years I'm all too familiar with the compromises of trailer life and Airstreams in particular. However this is the reason I persist.

Happy trails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ElkBay.png
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	391816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeballos.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	391817  

Name:	Utah.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	391818  
pixelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
Having been living in my Airstream almost full-time for coming on 12 years I'm all too familiar with the compromises of trailer life and Airstreams in particular. However this is the reason I persist.

Happy trails

Wonderful examples! Thank you for sharing.
Downhill502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
25-30

After having a 25 we would go to a 30 vs 27. Rear bedroom

Quote:
Extreme newbie here based in Seattle, Wa.

I am very close to purchasing a 2021 International...either the 25 or the 27, have not decided just yet. I am single, 62 and a golf addict. My dream is to travel the country, live in the AS full time, and play golf at as many different courses as I can. I recently joined Harvest Host, they do have a golf package, where you can camp on their property for free, as long as you play a round of golf, which is not a problem!!

FYI, I love the International aesthetics, especially those sliding backlit cabinets. That automatic front awning demo was much slower than expected, though.

ANYWAY, my question is: what works best, the FRONT bedroom, or REAR bedroom? I heard earlier (on this forum) that the front bedroom, not so much, because it adds weight to the hitch weight. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Dorsey
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Kemah , Texas
Quote:
Extreme newbie here based in Seattle, Wa.

I am very close to purchasing a 2021 International...either the 25 or the 27, have not decided just yet. I am single, 62 and a golf addict. My dream is to travel the country, live in the AS full time, and play golf at as many different courses as I can. I recently joined Harvest Host, they do have a golf package, where you can camp on their property for free, as long as you play a round of golf, which is not a problem!!

FYI, I love the International aesthetics, especially those sliding backlit cabinets. That automatic front awning demo was much slower than expected, though.

Thank you very much!!

Dorsey
We have had both, International 27 FBQ and an International 28 RBQ and I'll share a couple of thoughts.
I had one big gripe about the 27 FBQ. Access to the storage bay under the bed was behind the propane tanks. Heavy or larger items were difficult to store or access because of the tight fit behind the propane tanks. Loved EVERYTHING else about the rig, especially the panoramic view from the dinette!
We now have 28 RBQ and external access to the underbed storage is not a problem. Can't remember any real difference in the bed access. Panoramic view from the dinette is still great. Good luck and happy trails.
dwight69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Marietta , Arizona
FB
We prefer back in sites. Looking at nature from dinette where we spend most of our time.
Less dust from open windows.
Rear entry door secluded away from the other campers.
A most convincing argument if I ever heard one !!
MonacoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Front bed twins gives access from both sides to half of the space under each bed as well as the front storage access behind the tanks.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote