Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiben View Post
Love our new International Serenity, BUT, are we super sensitive to the overhead heating unit? Is it LOUD to you? What??? I can't hear you.

I swear the frequency that comes from that unit makes me feel nervous. I cant hear, I cant sleep, and its on LOW!

I dread needing the air conditioner this summer.

Is it me or is this unit loud industrial factory fan?
Welcome to the community.

As others have pointed out, the heat pumps are loud. This is not a problem unique to airstream but rather something in the RV industry as a whole. There isn't much that can be done about it because all the roof air units use a fairly small hole in the roof that requires rapid airflow.

In my trailer, I use the propane furnace, which I have further modified to make it quiet. I also have a small electric heater permanently installed in the wall that I sometimes use -- it's very quiet.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ble-64289.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ace-70036.html
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #22

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
All AC units will be pretty loud due to the design and location. We have an older model with the heat strip and I kind of like the white noise effect. I think the AC unit just takes some getting used to, my Mother has a Born Free B+ and hates the noise from the AC but its all part of camping I guess.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I find that alcohol helps in situations like these.....
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Sure wish Mitsubishi (or someone) would come out with "split system" for RV's....I have one of these in my pool house and another in my Florida room....they are extremely quiet, heat and cool really well. If I didn't have that big rectangular hole in my roof right now, I'd figure this out myself. The unit is incredibly loud in either heat or A/C mode. And, like lots of others, I'm using a Dyson if I've got hookups.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Canoestream and Jammer I find myself in the Hilton on American Blvd in Bloomington tonight just dreaming of having to operate the air in, say, Bahai Honda Key. I have even convinced myself that the racket is tolerable and,indeed, more preferable than suffering the conditions in the parking lot. I have learned to operate the ac on low only and heat with the furnace supplemented by a small electric heater. I operate the heater in the bedroom where it's impact on the thermostat helps use the minimum amount of propane. The heat pump is just too busy to use. I preferred the heatstrip in my old Safari since that unit was not as noisy as the current unit. Jim
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
In my 2007 27' Safari the furnace was not that loud. In my 2013 27' Flying Cloud I have the two air conditioners. The furnace is only in zone 2, the living area. With the fan set at low, it sounds like it is set at high, and is as loud as the heat pump, blowing a lot of cold air from the ceiling to mix with the warm air coming from the floor level vents.

Airstream made a number of improvements in the newer model, but the furnace is not one of them.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
kirkland , Washington
MrUKToad, I noticed that you haul your 28' with a red mini van. What is the model and what size is the engine in your car? We just bought a 23 with our 1500 Suburban. Wanted a 25 but the truck wouldnt be able to handle the load.
Really curious. Thanks.
adiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiben View Post
MrUKToad, I noticed that you haul your 28' with a red mini van. What is the model and what size is the engine in your car? We just bought a 23 with our 1500 Suburban. Wanted a 25 but the truck wouldnt be able to handle the load.
Really curious. Thanks.
I'll PM you, folks get a bit upset with me when I litter these threads with stories of our minivan

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I checked out a 2012 23D and they had it hooked up to electricity. The furnaces was running because it was only in the 40s. The furnace had ducting in this model and the noise was fine in a small trailer. When I asked the tech to demo the AC unit I noticed the high fan noise. It wasn't much better on the low setting. I think the quietest, but still not as good as residential, is the ducted AC in SOB. At an RV dealer was on in a Jayco 24T and the noise level was much better than expected. There was good airflow through the vents to the front bedroom and into the rear bathroom. I could probably get used to the Airstream AC because in a 17' Casita (14' box) the AC is close to everything. We have to turn the TV up to watch it over the noise but we have gotten used to it. Having a cool environment when its 99F outside with high humidity is worth the noise.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
I have a '11 and the air was very noisey, had it looked at and it was a pipe that was vibrating, they moved the pipe and added some cushioning and it is much better ever sense.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I camp in the summer in FL and the AC is a must. The first issue I had was air blowing right on everyone at night (straight back or straight forward) like a moderate breeze. I replaced the air distribution box to the new style with the five directions and took care of that issue.

As far as noise goes, my unit measures 62dB in operation. The cycling is not heard nor is the compressor. The loudness is the blower fan. Reading through the specs, it seems that the unit needs a high amount of air to pass through without freezing up. I tried running it on low fan with the temp set to half and it froze. As long as I keep mine at half cool and full fan it is happy although we aren't.

Recently we were at a motel with a VERY quiet under window unit unlike remembrances of such loud types. There are design options that need to make their way to RVs.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The a/c units are usually really loud to me, but I have been stopped up- sinusy and congested-
I don't really hear it...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington
I only use the AC unit for cooling and stick with the furnace for heating.
dave_oleary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 international