Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Not a solo-streamer but the only downside to the 27, IMO, is the bathroom - legroom is definitely a challenge there due to where the water heater is placed. Very happy with pretty much all other aspects of the layout. Would prefer a slightly different arrangement of kitchen cabinetry but that's pretty minor.

We have twins so plenty of storage - also nice to use as an extra "room" for working as you can sit at the bed and not be immediately facing a wall or window.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so solo full time with a (yes, that's a good idea) fall back plan just in case.

There are a mind boggling number of floor plans in the 23 to 28 foot range both new and used / last few years production. Making any sort of generalization about this one or that one being ideal .... not going there .... Get out and spend some time in as many examples as you possibly can. There is no way to figure out "fit" from internet information.

Campground / campsite wise: We have never had a problem with a 30' behind a F250/F350. There has always been someplace to stay here or there. Yes it might have been outside the gate to the National Park, but you still get to see Old faithful.

We have had some "fun" parking at various Harvest Hosts. We have never had to divert to someplace else. Indeed staying at the local state park for $20 a night would have been cheaper, but not as much fun

"Digital Nomad" sort of implies cell / data connections. To be confident of having good connections, more urban camping generally is a better bet. The more rural parts of the country may have a *lot* of folks all loading up a single cell tower. When that happens voice gets priority over data ......

Urban camping (at least to me) means more restaurants and easier shopping. It also means full hookups more often. All of that seems to make a larger trailer less essential.

Still very much up to you. Spend some time looking !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Another thing to consider is Solar and Lithium upgrades.... if you plan to boondock w/o generator. To upgrade, you'll need real-estate inside and out for batteries and panels
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
We are on are 3rd trip with our new 2022 25' International
and absolutely love it.
I think you may find anything bigger might be overkill for a solo traveler. Especially while towing.
I thought long and hard whether to get the queen or the twins and we're so glad we went with the queen bed. I actually prefer the East West layout of the bed. Instead of staring at the hall and whatever stuff I have lying around, looking out the windows while in bed is really quite nice. Looking forward to a great water location or a dramatic vista to awaken to. It really feels like we're in a fancy luxury hotel. I think there are advantages to the FBQ over the RBQ, but really go with what works best for you. Be careful changing your order however. We placed our in December 2020 and only recently took delivery Labor Day weekend. At this point you may have to wait even longer I'm told.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
The 25 is the most size for a reason. Easy to tow and maneuver, big enough to spend long periods in. We have had a 27, 31 and now a 25. Very. Happy
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Fcfb25

On the road for eight years now. I spent six months doing research before I settled on an Airstream. The spent three months going to the dealership to sit in the various models, sometimes up to three hours.
My thought was that in inclement weather I did not want to feel like i was living in a beer can.

I finally settled on a 25 foot Flying Cloud. After six years on the road last year I took it to Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon and redid the interior.

My two English Setters and I have learned to savor our little house!
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
As many have said only you can answer the size question.
I knew 1 guy that lived in a house in Florida for 6 months an in a 34' Airstream in New Jersey for 6 months by himself with no pets. By the end of month 5 he started complaining about being ready to get out of the cramped little space of his 34' AS.
A family of 4 with a large dog that I know has a vintage 16' Bambi (narrower then new ones). They said they couldn't imagine ever needing or even wanting anything bigger.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #28
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
X2 with Ray Eklund .... We have a 2004 25' International CCD since we are over 75 you could say I travel/boondock solo in that I do ALL the setup and teardown. It's just the right size and we can go anywhere no limitations because of trailer length. Also it tows easy with our F-150 ... just saying.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for that feedback, Dennis. I like how you parked your AS and TV so neatly in the corner, as un-intrusive as possible. Just curious, was that "stealth"camping, or did the Hampton Inn cut you some slack?
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Silverminer, I never thought about that, the queen sized bed facing the windows instead of down the hallway. Definitely worth considering. I will do the numbers and then talk to the dealer. Thanks for that little nugget of information.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
We are on our 4th Airstream. The 3rd was a 30' rear queen. We liked it a lot but were somewhat limited when trying to camp at a national park. We went back to a rear twin 25', life is good.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Thanks for that feedback, Dennis. I like how you parked your AS and TV so neatly in the corner, as un-intrusive as possible. Just curious, was that "stealth"camping, or did the Hampton Inn cut you some slack?
We actually stayed in a room at the Hampton Inn and parked for the night in their lot. They were initially hesitant to let me park the trailer there, but I assured them that I'd get the Airstream into a parking spot and keep it out of the way. By mid afternoon that day, the parking lot was completely full because many people got stuck due to the highway closure.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Silverminer, I never thought about that, the queen sized bed facing the windows instead of down the hallway. Definitely worth considering. I will do the numbers and then talk to the dealer. Thanks for that little nugget of information.
From one who has had both north/south and east/west bed configurations: in my opinion east/west is far superior (because of the views) ….. unless someone has to climb over their bed partner. As a solo (or mostly solo) traveler this consideration might influence your decision.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Magnolia , Texas
I love my 25 fc even with the bed configuration you mentioned. The length has gotten me into several national parks I would not been able to stay due to their length restrictions. I am a lifetime camper and have pulled everything from 18’ bumper pull to 40’ 5th wheels and I will add that the 25’ AS is a dream to pull down the road.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Russ
rlbanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
You gotta be you!

If you love the trailer and you can handle it -there should be no questions or doubts. We (2 of us) have a 27 GT and it is wonderful, we love it and any questions about fitting in? Moving up from a 21' -the extra luxury and space is well worth the minor size fitting in issues. We just avoid places we don't think we'll have an easy fit.

My husband and I have talked about what if we were traveling single. He'd do it (back up camera on the truck and trailer) he can hitch and get in to just about any site easily. On the other hand, I wouldn't even try -it would be far too nerve wracking and so many of the prep things require arm strength I just don't have (one shoulder replaced, other one needs it).
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I'm not solo either, but I really prefer rear twin beds. On my FC26 it gives me more actual bed space and more exterior storage. The AS queen is a short queen and you lose exterior storage also. If something happened and I needed to replace my FC26 I would go to the FC25rbt instead of the 27. Just personal preference.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Preferred AS Length/Model for a "Solo Streamer"

I solo full time in my 27FBQ International. I went through the same calculations you’re going through when I was shopping. I decided on the 27FBQ for the layout. Most importantly for me was being able to walk around the bed and all the windows.

I don’t have any experience any other size, but I’m often thankful I went with the 27ft and after 2 years have never wished I had a smaller trailer.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #38

2019 28' International
Apple Valley , California
Take a look at the 28 international. It is one inch shorter than the 27 ft. Weights are similar.
Gus Olivares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Cottonwood , Arizona
Solo Travel

I read most of the comments and you have received good advice. Congrats to the other side! I have a '16, 28ft International Signature and a '17 GMC Sierra Z1, 8 speed trans, 115,000 miles. I travel solo most of the time...I hate there twin beds,,they slope inward. (if anyone has a easy work around to combine, convert, the twin beds to a queen PLEASE let me know). My Sierra has towed the peaks in Colorado to the Fl Everglades. I like the room of the 28. Lots of space to work from the office with wheels, nice shower space, comfortable head, 2 AC units, big awnings (a must have), adequate storage inside and lots outside, I am on my 3rd year full time and I would only trade for a 27 or 28 rear rear queen. Pulling and parking are a breeze. Enjoy and safe travels.
Mike
MWL530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I always thought if I had to go solo I'd go to a 25, but now no way. I'll keep my 30. It's just too comfy.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote