Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , WA
Preferred AS Length/Model for a "Solo Streamer"

Hello, fellow Solo Streamers.

I'm a newbie solo streamer. I have made a down payment on a 27' Globetrotter, it has not been delivered just yet, right now the dealer is estimating late November or early December. However, I do have the opportunity to change the order.

I am having second thoughts about the 27' length, especially when traveling alone (at least, initially). I chose the 27' because I like the floor plan, lots of windows and space. My objection to the 23' was the rear bathroom, which eliminated all the rear windows. The objection to the 25' was that the queen bed was sideways (east/west) and those two reading lights...well, they are positioned as if the bed was length wise (north/south), which is how it is setup for the 27'.

Anyway, I wanted to hear from the experienced Solo Streamers out there...was do you think is the ideal size? Did any of you initially have a larger AS and then decided to get a smaller one? Or a smaller AS, and then went bigger? Love to hear from you...and thank you for doing so. I am learning so much from this forum.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Hooking up and dragging a trailer behind you are just about the same for all those sizes, assuming you have the right set up and tow vehicle.

So then, there's the what's it like, which is I think what you are asking about.

To consider.
Size of fresh/gray/black tanks can limit how long you can stay put or camp off grid. Pretty similar with all of these.

Where to put your inside stuff? To be sure, the 27 has the best panty, best closet, and best kitchen overhead storage of these 3 options. It is a definite winner here.

Where to put your outside stuff? Depending on twin or queen your outside storage offerings differ between models. Take a hard look at these and see what you think. Probably have to look at you tube videos .

Sitting pretty-bathroom is much better (specifically knee room on the toilet) on the 23
Standing tall-how tall are you and would the curved area in the shower on the 23 be an issue?

Open or closed? If you are anticipating being an open windows camper, then the 23 is out since the windows by the dinette have to be closed with the screen door being open.

The little things: in the 27 or 25 if it is dual AC you only get 1 fantastic fan. Would you rather have 2? In the 23 there is not a fan over the shower since the window opens in the bathroom. Does this bug you? Views-when you sit at the dinette do you want to see out, then the 23 may not be the best choice. Guests-23 would be tight for company.

All in all there are likes and dislikes on any model.

ps-we have owned a 22 sport (similar layout to the 23, a 25 rear bed twin, and a 27 front bed twin.)
22 had best bathroom
rear bed 25 best for sleeping with windows open (you can hear the waves on the lake, less road noise)
27 has the best interior storage

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
As always, there are exceptions, but most owners don’t sit back and wish they’d purchased a smaller Airstream. Typically it’s the other way around. I’d encourage you to go with the layout you like. That way there’s little chance you’ll look back and wish that you’d have done something else.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've run into folks "running full time solo" in 19' trailers and saying that it works fine for them. We also have indeed run into solo's towing a 27' (and making the same claim).

The big / unmentioned point is: How long will you be out? Is this full time or part time? If part time, are you out for days, weeks, or months at a time?

Next up: How far out of town do you plan on playing? Full hookups at an urban campground with multiple restaurants in walking distance is a very different approach than 60 miles out on a chunk of BLM land.

How much "work stuff" will you have along (if any)?

All of these things play into what makes sense.

On the other side:

Is 27' more than you can set up / tear down solo? Folks do it all the time. Is 23' easier to fit into *that* space over there? Yup.

Lots and lots of variables and many inputs that are unique to each individual.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’m not a “Solo Streamer” but I do have a FC 27FBQ. About the only thing I’d want to change if I was solo would be the bed as I’d prefer the twin beds arrangement under those circumstances. Otherwise, I wouldn’t change a thing.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Depends

I am a solo traveler generally and I travel in a vintage 24Ft. The same length trailer today is MUCH larger given the extra width.

If you are full timing no trailer is big enough. You just have to decide what you can adapt to. I lived for several years in mine. With my lifestyle it was fine but a couple rainy days and it got small. It is really important to understand what your lifestyle on the road will be. If you are going to be mostly outside doing things, small works. If you want a rolling condo, well not so much...

If you are visiting national parks, I would stay under 25Ft. Most NP campgrounds were made in the 60s when trailers were shorter and tents more prevalent. 25 will get you into most campsites, past 30ft and the pickings are slim.

Visit my photography page
and the painting page

https://rooseveltfineart.com

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
There are so many individual preferences in the choice of trailer and size I won't presume to try and convince you or anyone of what is "ideal". Just some quick personal observations from someone who has owned a 30' Classic and a 25' Globetrotter.

We appreciated the additional room and storage in the Classic that we owned. That said, the 25' Globetrotter works just fine for the two of us and our 65 pound Labrador Retriever and it is easier to maneuver into tight campsites, in parking lots, at fueling stops, and fits better in the available space we have to store it at home. The 27' trailer you're considering splits the difference between the trailers I've mentioned so some of the issues we had with the 30 footer will be somewhat less relevant.

Bottom line, the 25 footer is the perfect size for us and the type of camping that we do and we don't regret the change at all. One thing with regard to your complaint about the layout of the queen bed in the 25' would be to consider the twin configuration. Even in the 27' twins are easier to access and give you more total sleeping area as well as exterior storage compartments.

Especially for a solo camper, I think you would find a 25' to be as much trailer as you need (and you could save about $8K) but I don't know if it's worth making the change in your order at this point. I'm sure you'd be happy with the 27' too. Your money, your choice.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
uncle_bob nailed it in post #4 above. Your question is at least as much about you and your chosen style as it is about trailers. You need to match the trailer to your style.

This non-judgmental generalization might help: some view and use their trailers as a mobile residential unit, others as a mobile hotel room, and others as an aluminum tent. What’s your plan?

P. S. We started with a 23’ and downsized.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , WA
Great feedback, thanks everyone!

OK, so my intentions and plans are to become a "digital nomad" part time, if necessary, and take advantage of the Harvest Host Golf membership. The prospect of spending the night at a golf course is very appealing to me.

The ideal result would be living in the AS for most of the year, and renting out my home. So yeah, I'm hoping it all works out and I could live in it full time.

Interesting to hear about the 25' length restrictions in the National Parks. Overnighting in NP's is not a priority for me. I would prefer boondocking (in BLM land and Harvest Host), then at RV parks with hookups.

Since I am traveling solo, I really don't anticipate having tons of gear. I mean, definitely my golf clubs. And I'm thinking of getting an e-bike as well. But that's about it so far.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
OK, so my intentions and plans are to become a "digital nomad" part time, if necessary, and take advantage of the Harvest Host Golf membership. The prospect of spending the night at a golf course is very appealing to me.

The ideal result would be living in the AS for most of the year, and renting out my home. So yeah, I'm hoping it all works out and I could live in it full time.
With this information you might want to consider buying a larger used unit. If I were full timing and not worried about getting into tight/scenic areas a 30ft or more rig would be interesting and there are plenty of those out there used that are in great shape. Just a thought.

Visit my photography page
and the painting page

https://rooseveltfineart.com

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you've gotten some great advice here. Trailer size and other preferences are very subjective, and it really depends on your expectations, your lifestyle, your camping style, etc.

We are very happy with our 23FB, but we probably fall into the "aluminum tent" category listed above. We use our Airstream for recreational camping, mostly in state or national parks. We do a bit of boondocking too. I think that if I was planning to live in my Airstream for any extended period of time, I'd opt for something bigger.

Good luck with your decision! It's part of the fun!

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Great feedback, thanks everyone!

Interesting to hear about the 25' length restrictions in the National Parks. Overnighting in NP's is not a priority for me. I would prefer boondocking (in BLM land and Harvest Host), then at RV parks with hookups.

Since I am traveling solo, I really don't anticipate having tons of gear. I mean, definitely my golf clubs. And I'm thinking of getting an e-bike as well. But that's about it so far.
Sounds like an adventure! As I mentioned above, we have and are very happy with a 25' Globetrotter and bigger would bring more complications than benefits for us.

That said, and all else being equal (which of course it never is ) the more time actually living in your trailer, the more you might appreciate the additional room. If I were in your situation, with the possibility of living in the trailer near full time, I would probably stick with your original plan for the 27, for whatever that's worth.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
1- Tow Vehicle- be careful and over size the vehicle, than break even.
2- Larger Dometic in the 25 and 27. Small in the 23.
3. If you like the 23... get the 25. We did after 8 years in the 23 foot Safari.
4. If your tow vehicle is 1/2 ton... 25 foot.
4. If your tow vehicle is a SUV... 23, maybe a 25.
5. Do not buy a FRONT BED 25 or 27. Separation issues on the Forum.

We like the 25 most of all. Easier to sell, as well.

No 25 foot trailers on lot in late 2019... price was good on the 27 and I had a F350.

Resale... is important. If you do not like the length... step up or down.

Storage and Camping... 23 and 25 are best. 27 foot if experienced.

1 AC for 23 or 25. 2 AC's with 27 or longer.

Our favorite... 25 foot. A Neanderthal, A Human Bean and two Blue Heelers fit perfect.

mikeinca... has the Perfect combination. We have 180 watt solar on roof and a portable 100 watt from Costco if needed. We do not run an Electric Company. We are Boondockers, unlike most.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I am married, but a few times I've gone solo due to work reasons when I used it instead of staying in an expensive or non-existent motel room. Basically boondock. I like my 28'.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
If you like the 25', but hate the east/west bed....how about getting 25' twins! To me, that'd be the perfect size.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just remember you have to drive what it takes to pull it as an everyday ride too. I would want a 3/4 ton with a 28'. Or at least a very substantial TV. If that is not an issue then go for it. If you want to drive a smaller TV then think about what the TV you want will pull. Whatever the size of the trailer the heavy gear probably needs to go in the truck.

I am not a solo. The rides for solos I have been on caravans with range from a 16' pulled bay a Porsche to 34 footers. Actually the Interstates seemed fairly poplar. The most common size seems to be the 28's often with a 1/2 ton truck or something like a Expedition or Navigator or Esclade for towing.

I have also been on caravans with people who were solo one time and not the next. And vice versa. Life changes. One person takes almost as much room as 2 people. Maybe a half a bed and a small closet and a couple of drawers difference.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Going on four years full-timing with my FC 26. I went into the dealership wanting a 27, but prefered the single side larger bathroom. If I had to do it again, would get twin beds. You should not have any trouble getting into any park with a 27, and if you do, they were not worth your time. Get 3/4 ton TV, gas or diesel ur poison.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We went from a 30 foot Excella 1000 to a Flying cloud 25 front queen, now twin. We took out the corner lounge (curb side) and put in recliner. Next we are removing the round sink and putting in a smaller double and squaring off the counter. Also changing to a 2 burner stove flush to counter (corian). When done, kitchen will be similar to an Eddie B. Now she wants ultra leather covers.

I TOLD WIFE, THAT'S ENOUGH !!! AND SHE SAID @%#*%$ guess i'll be sleeping on the couch
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
We have a 25’ front queen globetrotter. There’s my wife and I plus our 12 year old daughter. Due to my daughter’s school and ec activities they almost always meet up with me after I set up. I usually head out on a Thursday, they come on Friday night or Saturday and they leave Sunday night and I head back on Monday morning. So I get a good semi solo experience. The 25 FBQ is great for both styles. The middle bathroom opens up the rear window area and I’m so glad we did that instead of a rear bedroom model. Setting up is easy, especially if you don’t bring a lot of junk like extra canopies like we do for extended stays. The queen bed is fine for the 2 of us, and of course even more roomy for one. If you open the closet door and bathroom door it seals off the shower/toilet area to make a very roomy bathroom area.

The only downside for solo camping is I think you really need at least a 3/4 ton truck to tow this trailer due to the tongue weight. A smaller trailer would let you tow with something less bulky. The other good thing about the 25’ model is it fits in virtually any state park site.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
One of the nice things about smaller trailers is the fact that they give you more options when things don’t go as expected. You can get them into spaces that might be difficult with a larger trailer. It’s probably not a big deal, but you never know what might happen. Earlier this year, we were headed home and we got stuck in Glenwood Springs, CO due to a highway closure. Every campground within 100 miles was booked. We ended up spending one night at the Hampton Inn before heading home the next day when the highway opened. I was happy to have a small trailer when this was happening.

My point here is that you can make a good argument for any of them, large or small. Buy the one that makes the most sense for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D18D895-57B2-4936-81D6-FDD7B75307D8.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	405221  

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote