Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Solo Streamers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWL530 View Post
I read most of the comments and you have received good advice. Congrats to the other side! I have a '16, 28ft International Signature and a '17 GMC Sierra Z1, 8 speed trans, 115,000 miles. I travel solo most of the time...I hate there twin beds,,they slope inward. (if anyone has a easy work around to combine, convert, the twin beds to a queen PLEASE let me know). My Sierra has towed the peaks in Colorado to the Fl Everglades. I like the room of the 28. Lots of space to work from the office with wheels, nice shower space, comfortable head, 2 AC units, big awnings (a must have), adequate storage inside and lots outside, I am on my 3rd year full time and I would only trade for a 27 or 28 rear rear queen. Pulling and parking are a breeze. Enjoy and safe travels.
Mike
Mike, We have twins that convert to almost king size.
Keep plywood under twins, lift mattress, turn plywood sideways to cover gap, push mattresses together, tie kayak strap around outside of mattress, put on king bed sheets and voila, new bed.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Agree with the above post. Use plywood to cover the gap and rotate the mattress. The main reason I prefer the twins is for the outside storage under the two beds. Mine don't slope inward, though.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Don’t forget that there’s a huge storage compartment under the queen bed that you access from the inside. In trailers with queen beds, the storage space doesn’t just disappear, you simply access it from the inside of the trailer rather than the outside. You may actually get more storage space with the queen bed. It’s certainly easier to store large items like folding tables and chairs that won’t always fit easily through an exterior compartment door.

Good idea to push the beds together and make a big bed. The twins seem like a nice option.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I don't want to compare apples to oranges but I had a 1977 31' Excella 500 and I seemed to drag the rear frame when leaving the main roads. I loved the storage and front lounge area. I went to a 1986 25' and have been happy with it when boondocking every weekend in Mar., Apr., May, Sept., Oct., Nov. and part of December. I have the mid bath rear corner version and would love a queen bed in the back along with a shower across from the bathroom which I believe was available in the 27' version in the '90's. When the wife is along for other trips it gets a little cramped but it isn't a wide bodied trailer either. The extra 2' of trailer wouldn't be a problem towing so my suggestion is go with what you ordered and enjoy that layout you seem to enjoy.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Most people want to go up a size or two after getting used to towing. But I’m in a 23’ FCCB as a full time solo traveler and wouldn’t change a thing. Having fewer windows in the rear where I sleep is fine (though I custom added a window —which helped with air flow in the back—and removed the second sink).

I like the size because it fits in most any campground and is easier to occasionally boondock with in the wild. Less weight means cheaper truck to tow with, better gas mileage. I’ve looked at bigger models and don’t believe I’m really gaining much by going bigger.

You can see all my mods to the 23’ to make it better for a full timer here: https://youtu.be/Rf95ZPP-oHU

QUOTE=BogeyPro;2542812]Hello, fellow Solo Streamers.

I'm a newbie solo streamer. I have made a down payment on a 27' Globetrotter, it has not been delivered just yet, right now the dealer is estimating late November or early December. However, I do have the opportunity to change the order.

I am having second thoughts about the 27' length, especially when traveling alone (at least, initially). I chose the 27' because I like the floor plan, lots of windows and space. My objection to the 23' was the rear bathroom, which eliminated all the rear windows. The objection to the 25' was that the queen bed was sideways (east/west) and those two reading lights...well, they are positioned as if the bed was length wise (north/south), which is how it is setup for the 27'.

Anyway, I wanted to hear from the experienced Solo Streamers out there...was do you think is the ideal size? Did any of you initially have bc a larger AS and then decided to get a smaller one? Or a smaller AS, and then went bigger? Love to hear from you...and thank you for doing so. I am learning so much from this forum.[/QUOTE]
A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a 26' because I hated dinettes.
I wish Airstream brought back the 25' classic.
If I lusted over any other AS it would be the Classic 30', just because of the sofa. Queen or twins? I've gone back and forth a million times. I have the queen and like it although the cabinets are almost impossible to use. The twins would open up more space, but I don't think I'd like sleeping against the cold aluminum.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #47
Newbie Owner

1993 34' Excella
Pearland , Texas
Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Hello, fellow Solo Streamers.

I'm a newbie solo streamer. I have made a down payment on a 27' Globetrotter, it has not been delivered just yet, right now the dealer is estimating late November or early December. However, I do have the opportunity to change the order.

I am having second thoughts about the 27' length, especially when traveling alone (at least, initially). I chose the 27' because I like the floor plan, lots of windows and space. My objection to the 23' was the rear bathroom, which eliminated all the rear windows. The objection to the 25' was that the queen bed was sideways (east/west) and those two reading lights...well, they are positioned as if the bed was length wise (north/south), which is how it is setup for the 27'.

Anyway, I wanted to hear from the experienced Solo Streamers out there...was do you think is the ideal size? Did any of you initially have a larger AS and then decided to get a smaller one? Or a smaller AS, and then went bigger? Love to hear from you...and thank you for doing so. I am learning so much from this forum.
I am a solo AS and have a 34 ft. I love the room it offers because I live in it full time. However, that said, it is a pain because of its length. Every now and then I drag the tail.

I think a 27 - 30 ft would be much better, and I have my eye on a fantastic 32 fter. The important thing is to like your floor plan. Size doesn’t matter much if you like the layout. If you like the length but not the layout then you won’t be happy.

Enjoy your new AS.
Tilemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Oakton , Arkansas
Follow Up Question…

So for a solo camper, and just saying that depending on a lot of variables and preferences that maybe the 27 is a win, how about pros and cons between a 27 and a 30?

…especially if full-time : )

Thanks!
DAllerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Great feedback, thanks everyone!

Interesting to hear about the 25' length restrictions in the National Parks. Overnighting in NP's is not a priority for me. I would prefer boondocking (in BLM land and Harvest Host), then at RV parks with hookups. .
The restrictions are mostly due the fact the bigger you go the fewer spots you will find to fit into, can be an issue during Peak seasons, as many state parks and National parks campgrounds were built years ago when smaller trailers and tenting were still the thing. Some have roads that can not accommodate trailer/vehicle combined lengths over X so many feet. Some have fairly narrow roads running through them with lots of big trees guarding the camping spot entrance making it tough if not impossible to back in bigger trailers.

Bottom line is the smaller your trailer the more camping spot options you will have.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the wonderful feedback, I got my VIN Number!

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful Solo Streamers feedback!! I went back and forth on the 25' and the 27' GT, called the dealer, he told me that I had one day to make up my mind. So I kept the order the same and stuck with my original build, the 27' GT FBQ.

Also yesterday, I finally got my AS VIN number, so it is "in the production queue" so to speak. Officially, it will be a 2022 year model. Delivery expected at the end of November. Getting very excited!!

Thanks again...now how does one close the thread? Is that for moderators only?
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
My wife and I have a GT 27FBQ. It is the perfect size and layout for our life style. The kitchen and storage are awesome. I think a solo traveler would find the 27 quite roomy! That said if I were considering the 27 as a solo work out of my trailer nomad, I might go for the twin beds and turn one side into an office.
Einse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Length for Solo Streamer

Before buying, RENT. Hit the road for a few weeks. (You’ll learn much more in a month.)

Back home, note how much “stuff” you carried you did not use or used only incidentally—six pairs of jeans is three pairs too many . . . stacking sauce pans, maybe not.

The problems with l-e-n-g-t-h are threefold: towing demands, maneuvering demands, parking demands. Conditioning demands also weigh heavily—think global warming—and go up with volume which goes up as the cube of length or some such.

Give yourself some elbow room but save calisthenics for the out-of-doors.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #53

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Frisco , Texas
Though we're not solo my wife and I fell in love with the 25' and 27' floor plans.

We decided on twin beds because of the added space in the bedroom where you can stand up, move around, change clothes in the bedroom. It opens up the floor plan. I think if I were solo I'd do twins.

We ended up getting the 27' for several reasons. Extra counter space, a little extra room at the end of the twin beds, larger cabinet.

I didn't want to get 2 foot-itis after getting 25'.
MattPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:21 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If I lusted over any other AS it would be the Classic 30', just because of the sofa. Queen or twins? I've gone back and forth a million times. I have the queen and like it although the cabinets are almost impossible to use. The twins would open up more space, but I don't think I'd like sleeping against the cold aluminum.
I did not think I'd like the wall side of the east west bed in my 25' GT FQ but I've found it really does not bother me. Theres no night stand but my wife bought a small hanging basket I can keep my phone and glasses in so they are handy. You are right about the overhead cabinets, probably the thing I like least in the trailer. But my wife does not seem to mind and I keep most of my stuff in the drawers next to the bed (drawer since I get 1)
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:58 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Preferred AS Length/Model for a "Solo Streamer"

After towing 31’ & 33’ SOB travel trailers I was surprised at how well our 27FB tows and maneuvers. (The 33’ really took the fun out of RVing for me & the 27FB put it back.) Sometimes less is more.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I don't like being against cold aluminum either, fortunately that's an easy fix just get a yoga mat or similar cut and put against wall. Can also be used under mattress to "fix" bed slanted problem some with twin beds have.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Clearly the 25 rear twin is the answer here

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAllerton View Post
So for a solo camper, and just saying that depending on a lot of variables and preferences that maybe the 27 is a win, how about pros and cons between a 27 and a 30?

…especially if full-time : )

Thanks!
Hi

Going to the 30' gets you a Classic. You get a very different floor plan that may well be just what you want ... or maybe not.

I spend years and years working with a guy who was into 5th wheels. Every couple years (or so it seemed) he got a new one with more slides (and more length). His claim was that the way he camped, there was no downside at all ....

Everybody's "needs" are different. Each of us has our own unique set of constraints

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Congratulations. Glad you stuck with your first choice. Going bigger is always better. If this helps, there's a lot of back and forth on TV size. And now that I've gone of my first 3 trips in my 25' towing with an F150 which works perfectly fine, anything bigger I'm jumping up to a larger truck. In fact I think that will be happening sooner than later if I want to bring guests with me. Good luck on your new purchase.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #60
'Ocean Breeze' :)

2007 19' Bambi
2008 23' International
Fresno , California
Solo with occasional guests...

Hello,
I know the OP made his decision, but I'd like to add my comments. I'm a solo but that doesn't mean I don't take friends along occasionally. I don't think anyone has commented much on traveling solo with intermittent guests.

I currently have a 23ft corner bed International and I bought it thinking it is perfect for me and an occasional friend sleeping in the dinette/bed. It does work perfectly now as I still have a few years until I'm retired and don't travel for extended periods yet. Also, CB (current boyfriend) and I fit fine in the corner bed for long weekend trips. It is a little claustrophobic for longer. But I often go for long weekends by myself or with various friends.

Lately I've been thinking I might want another model when I retire because putting the dinette up and down daily is a pain and occasional guest's gear can also be an issue. As for the dinette/bed issue, what to do with the extra bedding for the day is a pain and leaving the dinette as a bed is a pain if you need to eat inside due to weather, etc.

So I've been eyeing the GT23T or the GT27 FBT. The GT27 FBT appears to have; overhead storage, under bed storage and cupboard at the foot of the bed for each person. That solves the personal stuff/space issue and bedding issue, whether I'm traveling with CB or a friend. And you don't have to put the dinette up and down. (BTW, thanks to those who posted how to convert the twins into a larger bed. I'm filing that info away for later.) The GT23T is interesting because I could keep my same TV.

But I have to say, if that Pottery Barn 27' Twin layout becomes available in a non-Pottery Barn trim, that would be my ideal. A comfy sofa, dedicated dinette, twin layout for storage inside and out... that looks kinda perfect whether I'm traveling truly solo, with CB or with a friend.

Just my two cents.
truemedia is offline   Reply With Quote