Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Alamo , California
Question Pan America Toy Hauler

Does anyone own one of these - I cannot find any Forums on them. A toy hauler is what I want and this one looks great.
alamopokeymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome to the forums. It's a nice looking AS. I haven't seen anything here about them either. The only place I've seem or heard anything about them is on the net.

The 1400lb tongue weight would drown my poor F150! lol

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I have yet to see a Pan America on the road. I have been in one at the Airstream dealer in Eugene, Oregon. It's pretty cool. The living area is about equivalent to a 25 footer.

I have not seen anyone with a Pan America post on the Forums, but there are a number of 34 footers here are the Forums who can comment on dealing with a travel trailer of that size.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
This past weekend I toured one at the terraport.

If you like Airstreams, and need a toy hauler, than you will like this!

The "garage" is outfitted very nicely. It has a couple of chrome cabinets, a fantastic fan, and a roll down screen over the ramp. I'm not familure with how these garages work, but this one really looked cool!

The interior living area had very nice finishes, chrome, perforated, laminated walls, and a nice kitchen. Limited on lounge area though. Bedroom look typical.

Overall, I'd certainly consider it if I was making six figures and needed one.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
Welcome to the forums. It's a nice looking AS. I haven't seen anything here about them either. The only place I've seem or heard anything about them is on the net.

The 1400lb tongue weight would drown my poor F150! lol

Al
Wow, I just checked, the tonge weight is 1475lbs per airstream's site. Is there a reciever hitch made that is rated for that much weight? I was under the impression 1000lb was the max? I'm pretty sure my F250 SuperDuty would have issues with a 1475lb tongue weight.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Looks like the tongue weight is down a little in 2010 to 1260 lbs. Still very heavy. Colonial Airstream - Airstream 2010 PanAmerica 34' Toy Hauler Travel Trailer RV NJ

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
The very first Airstream I ever saw in person was actually a Pan. The dealership in Paso Robles has one (Sky River). I like the layout very much. Not your standard Airstreams interior, I found the Pan very unique. Very liveable space.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Bill Thomas Camper Sales (the St. Louis Airstream Dealer) had one on his lot. He had it down here at the spring RV show.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
_

. , .
pan am support group or a bicycle built for two...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamopokeymo View Post
Does anyone own one of these ...
hi pokeymo

YES a couple of dealers 'own' one...

and there has been 1 listed on ebay several times without selling.

so i wonder if u r really looking, or helping to advertise for the desperate vendors trying to MOVE those units?

many threads on this thing, here are 2 and an ezine story...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ler-37974.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ock-45364.html

Airstream PanAmerican: Same Iconic Shape, New Opening | Rvs And Motorhomes Blog & Discussions at Truck Trend Magazine

there was also a piece written by richL in asl a few quarters ago, that edition is still available IF you wanna read more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post

...I was under the impression 1000lb was the max?

I'm pretty sure my F250 SuperDuty would have issues with a 1475lb tongue weight.
well IF 1k is the tongue max all of the folks with 28 slides, 30 slides, 34 slides, 34s, and 30/31s built in the last 10 years, are in trouble...

actually we might be anyway.

1400 lbs is a bunch, but IF one loads enough crap in the rear pod bay, tongue mass will be reduced...

not that i'm suggesting ne1 do that, who wants to tow a teeter totter ?

but the f250 (depending on year) can handle that tongue mass with a class V receiver.

i've spent a few hours poking around INSIDE this model, it's an interesting idea...

but not well executed.

1. the pod bay door and RAMP are NOT well done, it is cumbersome to open and doesn't seal up well when closed.

and the ramp isn't solid enough imo.

it would be a challenge to load/unload STUFF from the rear position in a LOT of parking locations...

think slanted/graded spots or TREES at the back or concrete bumper at the overhang space in many state park slots.

2. the haul space is TOO big. no one is gonna fully load it (without more cabinetry)

and the weight restriction limits putting LOTs of heavy toys with engines back there.

the space could be smaller and with a SIDE DOOR/ramp.

this would still allow for motorbikes, bikes, yaks, scooters, garden plows or a variety of campin' toys.

i'm not convinced they have SOLVED the petrol FUMES issue either.

3. this is NOT a classic trim model. the interior is more of a downscale safari.

tastes aside that means it doesn't have FULL awnings and NO beltline trim...

hello (corrosion) what's with that!

drum brakes, fewer appointments and lots of glued parts and laminates.

the photoz help the unit to LOOK much nicer than it is. the table is a neat gadget.

i found the fit/finish to be very poor, otoh the EMPTY parts of the pod space r nicely finished.

4. the living space is interesting but VERY TIGHT for a 34.

galley is REALLY small, bed room cramped (side mounted bed) and the LOUNGE space is FACING the stove and sink.

fridge is in a weird spot, and there is almost NO closet/interior storage space.

do ya wanna keep clothes and linens and food in the POD bay hal?

it is really really tight inside and not in a good way. 2-3 people would be almost impossible to fit comfortably.

serious toy haulers are BEEFY and with rugged ramps and vault like closing.

no 2-motorbike crew or 4 wheeler crowd would want this layout, build or PRICE.

still the idea has potential, i'd love to have a 4-5 foot inside/walled off storage space for bikes, campsite gear, a genset and media center.

folks could outfit the pan-am hauler space with a kiosk, vendor display, office equipment and so on...

but there are so many easier ways to do that and in much less expensive trim.

apparently the a/s engineers and builders have sorted out HOW to strengthen the frame for this unit...

TOO BAD they haven't applied that fix or thinking to normal units...

i know everything hasn't been quite right with me,but I can assure you now, very confidently, that it's going to be all right again.
i feel much better now. i really do.

look, dave, i can see you're really upset about this, i honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.

i know i've made some very poor decisions recently,but i can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
i've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission and I want to help you.

dave, stop, STOP will you, stop, dave-will you stop, dave? stop, dave--

i'm afraid, i'm afraid, dave. dave--my mind is going--i can feel it--i can feel it--my mind is going--
there is no question about it--i can feel it--i can feel it--i can feel it--i'm a...fraid...

goooood..... after...... nooooon...... gentlemen.......i am a HAL 9000 computer.
i became operational at the H.A.L. lab in urbana, illinois on the twelfth of january 1992.
my instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song....if you'd like to hear it, i can sing it for you.

(dave) OK.. i'd like to hear it, Hal. sing it for me.

it's called "Daisy"....

....daisy.....daisy.....give me your answer, do.....i'm half crazy......all for the love of you.......

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
a friend with a '06 34 is looking at getting a Panamrica, and use the rear garage as storage on the road and a rec room/den when parked, not sure how that will work out.
I have a 34ft slide out lounge, so I have 1500 plus hitch weight, have a hensley and seems to be fine.
Might be making a lifestyle change, have a harley and a segway and would put them in the garage..
I wonder how many have been produced?
and have heard of badly leaking rear doors?
that all being said.
Considering both Airstream and Harley are "American Icons"
why hasn't Jackson Center thought of a "Harley Davidson" edition Panamerica?
you could tow your Harley Davidson Panamerica, with your Harley Davidson Ford, with your Harley Davidsons in the back
This seems like a no brainer.
I thought my 2004 Classic Limited Slideout was rare, but I think the Panamerica has me beat
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Not 100% certain but think the Pan America has been discontinued. Another Airstream Edsel - after the Base Camp.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I have often thought that the "garage" would make a great living room for full timing. One could add wrap around windows in the rear, a large flat screen on the galley wall, many opportunities to make a nice trailer from an "Edsel".
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
_

. , .
according to don the tourman at the a/s factory...

the PANNEDam has been essentially d/cd.

one can apparently still ORDER 1, at least for now.

and ford no longer makes a HARLEY D' edition of the superduty.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My 2 cents.

Hi, this trailer/hauler has/had potential, but needs more work. As for the Safari interior, I'm OK with that, being that some dirt bikes or whatever will be back there. But if you are going to have a Safari interior/exterior, then it should have a Safari price tag also. At this price it should have been dressed up as a Classic. As for comparing it to an Edsel, they both came out during the wrong time for the economy. We don't need or want new gadgets, [trailers] we want the existing ones refined and built better.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We spend lots of time in Pismo Beach,CA, one of the busiest sand dune recreation areas around. We see loads of toy haulers in RV spots, and camped on the beach. Most have much more toy storage than the Pan American. The other thing is, who is going to spend the big bucks for that Airstream, then try and drag it out onto the sand or other "off road" area to play with their toys? There are other trailers much more suited for that duty for the same or less money.

Wrong market.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I've been very tempted of late to try and find one. I am full-timing it and the garage would come in very, very handy sometimes. I like to tinker on my motorcycle and I have to come up with creative solutions to work on it so the camp hosts don't get on my case.

All this about there being better toy haulers out there, well yes, that is probably correct. But I want an Airstream, not another white box toy hauler that every tom, dick and harry has.

If I could find one for less than 50 large, I'd probably bite. Don't know what I'd do about that tongue weight, but I'd figure something out.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Berkeley Springs , Washington, D.C.
Disappointing reviews here : (

I'm hoping to be fulltiming by this fall or winter, and this looked like the perfect working solution for me. I'd use that back space as a studio for my weaving and other fiberarts. The loom and other equipment isn't heavy like a bike or atv though. Finding one used at the "right" price could be the challenge too. I'm with you, I think it needs to be less expensive, new.
ek22156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BATES RV - Saw one there in March

When I was last in Florida I made the "Haj" to the Airstream farm and Bates RV.

They had a very gently used toy Hauler for sale at that time. It appeals to me too. I just like the Idea of having one big unfurnished area where one can do "whatever". I'd probably keep a bike and a Segway, and my sewing stuff back there. Nice room with an Awning and a screen (Door up, ramp down, you can pull down a screen on a roll) - but you'd better be comfortable with the basic post-industrial diamond plate look.

I could live in it. Wonder what the price is? Didn't I see one for sale in the Classifieds? Scuze me, gotta make some calls.

Paula
Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
2009 Airstream PanAmerican - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale

Asking $72,500.00
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Just wait awhile, you"ll see a few of them for sale. An Airstream, yes but is that enough to justify the cost when there are so many better designed toy haulers? To a very limited few maybe yes, but although Airstream joined the "me too" manufactures with slideouts and toy haulers and the basecamp the buying public voted with their pocketbooks especially after the reviews from the few who bit. Another bad design and built from Airstream. They need to refocus. Start with that word Ford struggled so long to come to terms with Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y. That department still seems to be somewhat short staffed.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote