Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Selling to someone in Canada

I have a serious buyer for my GT from Canada (I'm in Florida). We've agreed on a price, I've checked him out as best I can as far as being legitimate. We've spoken and face timed ( I gave him a live video tour of my GT). He has a business and seems familiar with importing and exporting. He is aware of the import taxes he'll be paying.

My question is, once he's wired the money into my bank account and I hand him the title, do I face any other liabilities? He says his agent will bring plates and insurance and drive it away from my storage site. I don't see any risk on my part, but I thought I'd throw it out to the group to see if I'm missing something. I've asked him to add a statement to the bill of sale stating "Buyer assumes all responsibility for import taxes and documentation".

Anyone had a similar experience?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Unfortunately I can't help answer your question. Maybe Google the process to see what's recommended from a seller's point of view.
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I’m Canadian and I’ve bought vehicles in the US before.
Basically it was no different for the seller than if they had sold to US buyer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
I’m Canadian and I’ve bought vehicles in the US before.
Basically it was no different for the seller than if they had sold to US buyer.
Thanks. The only experience I had was selling an electronics board to someone in Quebec years ago. We agreed on a price, say $100 and when I shipped it to him I make the mistake of declaring a value of $100 for shipping insurance. He got hit with some crazy taxes and ended up paying more for my used board than if he'd bought local. This buyer seems to know what they are doing.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We purchased our AS from the USA and the burden for importing is on the buyer, as far as your concerned it sounds like you have done your part - get the money via transfer - turn over the title and provide the bill of sale which you also have a copy.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Ive imported a Harley from USA, and my airstream also was brought in by previous owner. Your fine its his issue to deal with paying taxes. Mostly its just paying the Provincial tax(if it applies in his province) and the federal 5% tax. There is also a small inspection fee on vehicles, but im not sure on trailers.
Its all very straight forward and really not any concern for you except getting your money.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I have a serious buyer for my GT from Canada (I'm in Florida). We've agreed on a price, I've checked him out as best I can as far as being legitimate. We've spoken and face timed ( I gave him a live video tour of my GT). He has a business and seems familiar with importing and exporting. He is aware of the import taxes he'll be paying.

My question is, once he's wired the money into my bank account and I hand him the title, do I face any other liabilities? He says his agent will bring plates and insurance and drive it away from my storage site. I don't see any risk on my part, but I thought I'd throw it out to the group to see if I'm missing something. I've asked him to add a statement to the bill of sale stating "Buyer assumes all responsibility for import taxes and documentation".

Anyone had a similar experience?
As others have said, it sounds like you're doing everything you need to do. I live in Canada and have bought several trailers and motor vehicles in the US and it went just as you described.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Your only responsibility is to make sure you got your money and sign the title over to the new owner.
He actually has more liability than you
If there is a lien on the trailer that has not been cleared he will be responsible for that
He or you should have completed a title search before the sale.
He apparently knows what he is facing so leave it to him
Just make sure the transfer of title is properly filled out in exactly his name.
I sold a trailer in Texas-and the new owner tried to change the name to a relative
One year later I found out the title had not been transferred and the title was no longer valid. Fortunately the new owners’s daughter did all the legwork and had the new title sent up to me in Canada with all the required paperwork
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Welp, the deal is done and my baby is off to Quebec! This was actually a fun process because the buyer was very enthused and cooperative. Apparently he also has a lot of money. He found in importing company and sent someone down to Florida to drive it back. I just helped the guy load it up and watched it drive away. He wired funds to my bank account and I handed over the title. I don't think it could have gone any easier.

I think the key to selling is to be honest and help in anyway you can. Establish good communication with the buyer (or seller if you are the buyer). At some point you have to put yourself out there and there has to be some trust. No matter how well you think it out there's always some scoundrel out there that will try to put one over on you. The buyer and I texted, spoke via phone and I FaceTimed a tour of the trailer to him. Once it was all hooked up the driver taking it away and I took extensive pictures of the trailer's insides and outsides. I took photos of how the hitch was connected and a video of the tail lights operating so there is solid documentation of the condition of the trailer when it left my hands. Of course the new owner has insurance.

The owner of the 30' GT I'm buying and I have been in contact for many weeks as he was willing to wait until I sold mine. Since I drove from Orlando to Virginia to look at it and we met in person he knew I was serious. He's been very good to work with and I'm expecting a smooth buying experience next week.