Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Furrion oven demystified

I was about to send my newly upgraded Furrion range back to Furrion for warranty replacement because the thing seemed to be off by 100 degrees or more. In gathering the pictures and temperature and data camping world needed to make the claim I discovered a lot about how it works and now believe it is working as designed. It IS possible to get it to behave and be close to temperature but you CAN’T think of it like a normal oven. I still hate it as an oven but you CAN actually cook with it if you adapt to it.

The oven is a purely mechanical device with a mechanical temperature dial that is supposed to regulate the height of the flame. The flame goes up and down as the temperature regulator decides, mechanically, that more or less gas is needed. This is NOT a smart device and often underestimates the amount of gas required when it needs to increase the temperature. If you treat this as a normal oven where you set the dial to the temperature you want and expect it to get there you’ll be disappointed.

Using a lab quality remote reading thermometer I discovered how to get the temperature you want. You’ll need a oven thermometer you can read with the door closed for this to work. That could just be a cheap mechanical one or a fancier remote electronic one.

1) Light oven and turn the dial to Max. Yes, Max. This forces the oven to turn the flame up to its high setting.

2) Watch as the temperature rises. When it gets at least 25-50 degrees above where you want, set the temperature dial down to the desired temperature. If you way overshoot that’s fine, you might just open the door for a few seconds if you are in a hurry.

3) Oven will drift down to the desired temperature and hold it. Mine was within 10 degrees.

If you ever open the door or want to increase the temperature, repeat this process.

As with any gas oven, the heat is all coming from the bottom and there is significant infrared being emitted from down there. If you cook with dark baking trays or dishes they will absorb that extra energy and be more likely to burn.

I also use a pizza stone on the bottom shelf above the burner to give more thermal mass. I did the tests with that in place so I don’t know how it works without it.

You can verify that your oven is working like mine by watching how big the flame is. If you change the temperature dial slightly, you’ll notice that the flame doesn’t change height. It won’t increase temperature when on low. It spends a lot of time on low.

It’s pretty sad but you can’t really buy a good RV range right now. Dometic discontinued it’s high end range.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I wonder if your technique could rectify what I think is wrong with my Atwood.
I'm going to purchase a good remote temp sensor to try. Problem of course is I don't have a handy window to peek through to see the flame height.
This past weekend cooking our Thanksgiving turkey ( [emoji1063]) I had to set the dial at 450 to get a measured temp of 325 on my inside sensor. Had to keep taking a quick peek every 15 min or so which probably didn't help.
Turkey turned out better than last year when I didn't realize the temperature differences.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Airstream Forums mobile app
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Glad you figured out a way to make it work for you!

Personally, I haven’t been mystified by the operation of my Furrion gas oven. It works as expected. Perhaps I’ve been lucky?

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
It would be interesting if you did some of these tests with a oven thermometer you can monitor. If yours works like you’d expect then I really do have a bad one.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I don’t have a fancy thermometer, but I can try to check it. We’ve used it many times and the cooking times and temperatures haven’t surprised us. It seems to work fine. I can’t imagine that it’s too far out of the expected range.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote