Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Artists In Airstreams

Hi all, have been mulling around about starting a thread about artists who travel and use their AS to further their art. Please share your art experiences and how the AS has helped your creativity. The times that I have been around other artists, have been very rewarding - when we shared our experiences, boosted creativity, helped overcome any creative problems, etc.

Maybe a forum about our art endeavors will spark the creativity in those who also want to be artists. I have used the AS to go on trips to take classes, do plein air painting, photography, etc. Looking forward to hearing about the great creative uses!

Nan
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Airstream as Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Hi all, have been mulling around about starting a thread about artists who travel and use their AS to further their art. Please share your art experiences and how the AS has helped your creativity. The times that I have been around other artists, have been very rewarding - when we shared our experiences, boosted creativity, helped overcome any creative problems, etc.

Maybe a forum about our art endeavors will spark the creativity in those who also want to be artists. I have used the AS to go on trips to take classes, do plein air painting, photography, etc. Looking forward to hearing about the great creative uses!

Nan
Good idea, Nan. Not only do I use the trailer to further my pursuit of making art by painting, it is also a work/live space while working on landscape construction and gardening projects (the money part). As this is the primary work I still do it is always helpful to approach this as an art project to help avoid the mostly mundane aspects of the construction process. That is... the heavy lifting part.

We also always make a point of visiting all the museums, gardens and architectural interests while travel trailering.

And of course the restoration of our 1962 Safari was carried out as a multi-faceted art project considering every detail of the materials, colors, fabrics and resurfacing to bring out the best parts of the mid -century modern ideas that the factory may have forgot to add. Airstream as art.
thanks, Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12_original.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	70533  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I keep a sketch book and few sticks of charcoal under the bed. Does that count?
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I passed Artstream today in Northern Calif as he was headed South, to some sunnier days in Arizona, I suspect...

He has some great art he has created, prints and t-shirts, etc... MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large

We picked up a 'Safari Club' print from him recently...quite a guy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravan1mat[1].jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	70535  
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I passed Airstream today in Northern Calif as he was headed South, to some sunnier days in Arizona, I suspect...

He has some great art he has created, prints and t-shirts, etc... MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large

We picked up a 'Safari Club' print from him recently...quite a guy!
Ray, meant to write 'ArtStream'. We have some of Michael's, fine 'work' on tee shirts. You can find him in the Members List. Another fine artist in the Members List is Kristiana. She does beautiful silver work, some with Airstreams as a theme. You can also catch her advertisements in Airstream Life.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Hello Nan--I have lusted for a way to use my 71 safari [the "Black-sheep" of the AS world] as an artfair tag-a-long, anyway of staying out of hotels is good!
But alas and alack-I cannot load her up with a ton of copper and clay art[ we're talkin Heavy stuff!] Without damaging my precious!
So- until I can figure a way--I'll keep sleeping in my 7 by 16 ft. enclosed trailer - pretending Im in the stream-----------jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Does this count?

Custom Jewelry, Island Metalworks Custom Goldsmiths
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks for all the great responses! One of the main reasons we wanted to get the AS was to use it as a "studio on wheels." The US is such a beautiful country, and wouldn't you know I want to see it all, photographic it, paint it and breathe it in.

I agree with those of you that those art supplies can add several pounds to the bottom line weight of the trailer, or the TV you are loading up. I have scaled down small travel kits to throw into the "Bambi" (yes our Safari is named Bambi!) that would give me just enough supplies to satisfy that need to create on the fly. James, what do you do with the copper?

Gary - love the idea of taking the AS to the jobsite - landscape architecture is truly art that continues to give every time the seasons change.

And yes, Journalist, charcoal and a sketchbook really does count. Do you take your sketches and create other art from them? However, don't put it under the bed, leave the sketchbook out, you'll use it more often.

It is kind of hard to leave North Carolina right now, the colors of Fall have really been great, but it's time to load the Bambi and head South to FL. Let's keep the thread going, I would love to hear and see what you all are doing with your art, and I will share pics of mine in the future. The planning of going to new places, really can get the creative juices flowing. If we all who share, crave and create art in any shape or form, continue this thread - there is no telling where we could all meet and create together in the future!

Nan
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Performing Artists

I personally don't have an artistic bone in my body. But how about performing artists travleing in their Airstream? Alex Kensington and Chaon Henning have been featured in the Airstream Wanderlust coffee table book (Page 179) and also in Airstream Life (Fall 2004 page 10). I also know they have performed at some WBCCI and Air Forums rallies.

They are realy nice Airstreamers and roam around in a nice '61 Safari.

You can read more about them on their web site...

The Swordswallowers

Their act is truly something to behold.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
What we need is a rally of AS artists. Then those of us that like to purchase original art (jewelry, clothing, etc..) could have a place to go to further our collections. All AS in one place - artists and purchasers. Wouldn't that be a kick?
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Pilgrim, that is kind of what I thought this thread would generate - a great rally in 2009. Thanks for suggesting it... let's turn it into reality. Can you imagine the energy that a bunch of AS and the creative artists connected to them, could generate. Maybe the rally could be in a very scenic part of the country to also spur on creativity sessions, classes and displaying the arts. Thoughts about location, timing???? Come on artists, let's hear from you!

Nan
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So weird to see this post today .... last night I was thinking that I should locate some paints & canvas to take with me. I haven't done any real drawings, paintings, etc in a very long time. There just never seems to be time.... but I am totally stressed out and thought that returning to my more creative side might help. For the past 10+ years I've concentrated on home improvements and decor. It's not the same as drawing & painting.....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
So, OK Funkill - get those paints and canvas out of the closet. I was in the computer industry for 20 years and totally ignored my artistic side entirely. It has taken me 8 years to get back in the game again. In the 70s I painted and restored ancient and several original Tiffany windows. Moved to California in the early 80s and got into the computer industry. It is amazing how easy it was to let it all go, push it way down. Made a great living, raised kids, then moved to the East. Once I made the decision to bring the art back, it all started to click back into place. It hasn't been easy, but just taking that first step was monumental. Built a house, remodeled a house, and finally decided I had to stop creating projects to keep me from going from the "house" decorating arts to the true arts that I loved so long ago.

So, now it's your turn. If we got a rally together - who out there would like to attend?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm an Architect and the Airstream is a great inspiration for thinking of new ways to create efficient spaces. As a modernist, the Airstream is also just a tad iconic.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Cameron, I find that the spartan interior of the AS helps me to focus, less distraction - more art!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
My two Labradors provide plenty of distraction! I get most of my work done while they're sleeping.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
So, OK Funkill - get those paints and canvas out of the closet. I was in the computer industry for 20 years and totally ignored my artistic side entirely. It has taken me 8 years to get back in the game again. In the 70s I painted and restored ancient and several original Tiffany windows. Moved to California in the early 80s and got into the computer industry. It is amazing how easy it was to let it all go, push it way down. Made a great living, raised kids, then moved to the East. Once I made the decision to bring the art back, it all started to click back into place. It hasn't been easy, but just taking that first step was monumental. Built a house, remodeled a house, and finally decided I had to stop creating projects to keep me from going from the "house" decorating arts to the true arts that I loved so long ago.

So, now it's your turn. If we got a rally together - who out there would like to attend?
That's so true!

I would consider a rally ---- locally though ---- until I get my axles replaced, I'm staying close to home!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
That's so true!

I would consider a rally ---- locally though ---- until I get my axles replaced, I'm staying close to home!
I can only go to a rally if it's in my back yard. I don't have a tow vehicle
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Artists

Great ideas! I am going to find space for my sketching supplies in my camper.It sounds like we have all put our creative talents away for our careers and raising families. If you have an artist's rally, maybe drawing lessons could be offered or oil painting demonstations.Is there any one who does caricatures or chaulk drawings? I have been taking my guitar to practice while camping, but I am always afraid I may be disturbing the neighbors. Thanks for suggesting this quiet and relaxing idea. I am excited to go find all my art supplies.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Jane Kiskaddon owns a Bambi, paints in the Bambi, and features the Bambi in some of her pieces. Several NorCal unit members have bought her paintings featuring their rigs.

As they say, check-it-out.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote