Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our local state park has been the benefactor of many Eagle Scout projects: picnic Areas, benches, trail signage. It's always great to see them making a lasting contribution to their community, and I appreciate it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Life Scout, Troop 288. Pa Bambi's three W's prevented me from making Eagle. Something I always regretted. I've been an Assistant Scout Master for troops in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and on the Keflavik Naval Air Station in Iceland. BSA is a great organization that provides outstanding guidance to young men. Although I know little about the Girl Scout organization, I trust they provide equally valuable guidance to the young ladies.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I consider scouting one of the highlights of my youth. I grew up in the mining camp of Morenci, AZ. Phelps Dodge Corp., the company that basically owned the camp, sponsored Boy Scout Troop 36 and we had our own "Boy Scout House" along with leaders who were instrumental in operating the mining operation and excellent role models. The first Airstream that I got close enough to actually inspect in 1956 was owned by one of theses leaders. In spite of the fact that I was involved in sports and dated plenty of girls and was involved in various extra curricular activities plus worked on family farms in Colorado and an Uncle's veterinarian practice in Wyoming during the summer, I attained the rank of Eagle November 1958.
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Life Scout, Troop 288. Pa Bambi's three W's prevented me from making Eagle. Something I always regretted. I've been an Assistant Scout Master for troops in Nebraska, Oklahoma, and on the Keflavik Naval Air Station in Iceland. BSA is a great organization that provides outstanding guidance to young men. Although I know little about the Girl Scout organization, I trust they provide equally valuable guidance to the young ladies.
Please don't discount the Boy Scout Venturing Division. This is the fastest growing division of the BSA. It is open to young men and women ages 14-21.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Please don't discount the Boy Scout Venturing Division. This is the fastest growing division of the BSA. It is open to young men and women ages 14-21.
I'm sure that's an outstanding program! Sadly, it's never been an option anywhere I've been living, so I tend to forget about it. I hope it continues to grow so that option is available in more places.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Wink

My son was in Cub Scouts and in his last year we went to the local boy Scout camp which was located not too far from our home. We had to borrow a tent from the Den leader who wasn't too much prepared. Our son had camped with us from our tenting days when he was 3 years old, all the way to us having a travel trailer. I remember the look of shock on his face when I told him that we wouldn't be taking the trailer.

Upon arrival at the scout reservation parking lot we began a long walk through a field of weeds and grass which was up to his waist and was riddled with horse manure. Then the tent that was given to us had a door zipper that had quit working with a very cold night. Pile onto that was the breakfast which the Den leader forgot to pack, which led him to realize that rest of the folks in the camp out were eating eggs, bacon, and pancakes (lots of good smells) and all we had was powered sugar mini donuts and a gallon of milk. Then there was me getting a cup of coffee only to find out that he forgot filters so each sip delivered a nice slug of grounds.

Finally to end it all, he found out that the toilet was a pit toilet. I think that was the crowning blow and John told us when we got home that he was not going to graduate to the Boy Scouts. He noted that this wasn't camping to him.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Boy Scouts

Troop 257
Greenville, SC

1959-1962
John Knox Presbyterian Church

Camp Old Indian

Favorite memory-bread dough on a stick up against the campfire

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	163477Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	163478
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Proud mom of an eagle scout and OA member. Proud mother in law of a Gold Scout, girl scout highest rank!

Mary in CT

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I'm sure that's an outstanding program! Sadly, it's never been an option anywhere I've been living, so I tend to forget about it. I hope it continues to grow so that option is available in more places.
If you couldn't tell, I get excited talking about Venturing! A few years back I like to think I played a substaintial role in turing around a young girls life. She was living with her Dad, had eating disorders, and was a cutter. Last I heard she was married with a child, on her second tour in the Army repairing Humvees. The program works.

I looked up Buffalo, Wyoming. You have 20 Venturing crews within 100 miles!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
If you couldn't tell, I get excited talking about Venturing! A few years back I like to think I played a substaintial role in turing around a young girls life. She was living with her Dad, had eating disorders, and was a cutter. Last I heard she was married with a child, on her second tour in the Army repairing Humvees. The program works.

I looked up Buffalo, Wyoming. You have 20 Venturing crews within 100 miles!
That's great Dan! You're doing good work. I was completely unaware of the Venturing crews in the region. I'll check them out. I guess I need to pay closer attention.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #31
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Troop 444

We're a family of Scouts. Currently with Troop 444 out of China Spring, TX.
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Eagle Scout - Troop 14 - Long Beach, CA
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
My mom pushed all 4 boys in my family to eagle. I became a scoutmaster for a while to give back some of the great experiences I had as a youth.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Eagle award 1965, Order of the Arrow the same year (with my dad,) God and Country 1966, Troop 555, San Diego
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Eagle and OA, Troop 83, Fort Collins CO

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I was a Scout in England in my youth but my real scouting took place as adult leader, covering Beavers, then Cubs and finally as a Group Scout Leader. The training for adults was superb and I've carried so much of it into family life and, of course into camping, both under canvas and inside aluminium. Dyb, dyb dyb :~)

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I thoroughly enjoyed my Scouting years from Cub through Explorer. It was a family affair with all my siblings competing to see who could finish more badges and levels. We did the gamet from Eagle to OA, Philmont to Jamborees, and a ton of neat stuff in between. Despite the effort, no one finished getting all the merit badges available.

Among the better memories were an evening visit by all 7 original astronauts and a one-year scout master who excelled at 'sleepless night' ghost stories around the campfire. We did snowbound winter camping, summer sailing trips, and spelunking as well as learning how to lead pack animals into remote areas! Camping became ingrained!

Too bad it isn't a learning experience available to every youngster.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
On my honor . . .

By giving your word, you are promising to be guided by the ideals of the Scout Oath.

. . . I will do my best . . .

Try hard to live up to the points of the Scout Oath. Measure your achievements against your own high standards and don't be influenced by peer pressure or what other people do.

. . . To do my duty to God . . .

Your family and religious leaders teach you about God and the ways you can serve. You do your duty to God by following the wisdom of those teachings every day and by respecting and defending the rights of others to practice their own beliefs.

. . . and my country . . .

Help keep the United States a strong and fair nation by learning about our system of government and your responsibilities as a citizen and future voter.

America is made up of countless families and communities. When you work to improve your community and your home, you are serving your country. Natural resources are another important part of America's heritage worthy of your efforts to understand, protect, and use wisely. What you do can make a real difference.

. . . and to obey the Scout Law; . . .

The twelve points of the Scout Law are guidelines that can lead you toward wise choices. When you obey the Scout Law, other people will respect you for the way you live, and you will respect yourself.

. . . To help other people at all times; . . .

There are many people who need you. Your cheerful smile and helping hand will ease the burden of many who need assistance. By helping out whenever possible, you are doing your part to make this a better world.

. . . To keep myself physically strong, . . .

Take care of your body so that it will serve you well for an entire lifetime. That means eating nutritious foods, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly to build strength and endurance. it also means avoiding harmful drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and anything else that can harm your health.

. . . mentally awake, . . .

Develop your mind both in the classroom and outside of school. Be curious about everything around you, and work hard to make the most of your abilities. With an inquiring attitude and the willingness to ask questions, you can learn much about the exciting world around you and your role in it.

. . . and morally straight.

To be a person of strong character, your relationships with others should be honest and open. You should respect and defend the rights of all people. Be clean in your speech and actions, and remain faithful in your religious beliefs. The values you practice as a Scout will help you shape a life of virtue and self-reliance.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I, too, was a cub, boy (Star) scout, and Explorer, and was OA and on the ceremonial team. I was fortunate enough to also be an American Scout in England (in the early 1960's) and worked at Camp Joy, the American Scout Camp at the Fonthill Abbey near Tisbury (Salisbury) for three summers, when my Dad was at RAF Bruntingthorpe and RAF South Ruislip. And, MrUKToad, I have wonderfull memories of English Scouts including Mr. Jack Beet who was one of B-P's Scouts, in his 70's then! I was first an assistant SM in 1970, and it was a great day to see my son become Eagle several years ago. When I hired people, seeing "Eagle Scout" on the resume' was a huge plus. Why? Because it is something a young man works toward over several years, a step at a time, from age 11 to age 14 or older (but no older than 18), and those two words tell another that this person had a goal, worked toward it, persevered in spite of "the fumes" (gasoline, perfume, etc.) of the teen years, and didn't quit.
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Too bad it isn't a learning experience available to every youngster.
Hi, I was a Boy Scout for a few months; No Merit badges and only one camp out. We were poor and buying a brown shirt with the troop numbers on it was all we could afford. [I might have had a hat too, but don't really remember] Anything that cost money was out.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote