Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Zionsville , Indiana
25 floorplan - couch or dinette?

Hello! first time poster.
We are on the hunt for our first TT. I think it's going to be a used AS, but we are looking at SOB too. I've been reading a lot of your comments about older models, ducted AC, corner beds, twin beds etc.

My question is do you like the older (before 2007-ish?) 25 floorplan with the couch and the fold up table? or the newer dinette layout?

I would really like to get a 70's or 80's model and do a remodel, and although we are really handy (carpentry, electrical and plumbing), realistically I don't think we could tackle that because we won't be able to keep it on our property (the dreaded HOA)

a little background on what we are looking for:
hubby and me, plus kids 16 & 14. my daughter will be college bound in about a year and a half - eek! We are currently tent campers. We love the National Parks and state parks. We are pretty minimalist and love to be as close to the woods as we can. I love how agile we can be with a tent. We can stuff our SUV and drive all day and be in NY and then even Maine. What I'm starting to be "over" is camp showers - yuck, washing dishes with cold water bent over the campground picnic table, and being stuck on the tent floor uncomfortable when it rains - oh and when it rains when we are supposed to be cooking dinner - ugh!

So, I think I want the 25, it seems to be the sweet spot for small size and still sufficient interior space. I think I want two sleeping areas outside of the main bed(s) or maybe the 26U? because two teenagers aren't going to share that "two person dinette bed" LOL
my budget would like a little older model that usually have the couch. but I think that I really like the dinette layout. I like the idea that I can do the table or a corner lounge layout.

anybody have both? or been in both? or what you like about one or the other?

I'm not sure it's possible to get it right the first time, but I'm trying anyway
thank you for your time.
plane_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I am no fan of the U-shaped dinette. It's a space waster, uncomfortable and hard to get into and out of, but other than that I suppose it's OK. I'd prefer to have a couple of recliners in that space. Sorry Airstream is so focused on seating for four. I much prefer the couch over the dinette, if that's the only choice.

You may want to look at some other brands that have bunk beds. you'll struggle finding the sleeping arrangement you desire in a 25' or shorter Airstream. (I know...Airstream also has some bunk arrangements, but they are for light weighters and they aren't separate from the primary sleeping area, at least in the newer trailers.)

You'll have to decide what's more important -- the Airstream iconic shape, or the interior accomodations that meet your specs.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
In my opinion the front (or rear) U shaped lounge is extremely uncomfortable for every other function except eating. We enjoy watching TV in the late evening & would spend the last two hours of every day trying to get comfortable. Finally we took it out, added a smaller table & a recliner lounge chair. The long side of the seating was left intact.
Think about how you will use that area before making your decision.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I always liked the old 25 ft couch floor plan and wish they offered that today vs the dinette
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Somewhat different circumstances, but I think a similar profile. Wife/I, two kids age 13 and 9. I backpacked for years in national parks and forests, tent camped with kids. Took the plunge last year on a 27' Airstream. So I am very glad that they are focused on seating for 4 (though I usually stand at the counter due to back issues).

The kids and I just completed a full-summer trip and the 27FB was perfect for us. One kid slept on the "lounge" bed and the other on the pullout bed. The 27 had enough storage for 4 people, though I suspect we travel on the light side (only because plenty of couples on this forum seem to require a 30'). My wife does not like camping but really, really loved joining us from time to time in the Airstream this summer and is looking forward to more trips with it. I did run into a few full-time families with 30' bunk setups and while the idea of the kids having their own "space" is appealing to me, I don't think the 30' would be, and I think it's also different if you're full-timing.

I can't say that the 25' is a good or bad layout for you, but layout-wise the 25FB is basically a shorter version of the trailer I have and as far as sleeping arrangements go, the 27FB worked out very well for us. I really wanted a 25 but am glad, for the trip we took this summer, anyway, that I went with the 27. I think you should consider "stuff" storage and tank capacity as perhaps more challenging issues with bigger kids, but those things are only issues if you are out for extended periods without hookups.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
If you are trying to sleep four people in a 25’ it would seem to me you’d need the dinette version and use both the bed with the drop down table and the pull out bed that’s on the long couch under the TV on the current models. I don’t know how far back that floor plan goes. it that’s the current configuration of all but the Classic.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Couch gets my vote
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Maybe look for a 2004-2009 25SS (six sleeper). This was an amazing 25’ floor plan for folks with small families in need of 3 good sized beds in a 25’ package. We had one and it was great for sleeping a lot of people - like up to 6 kids, 2 adults and a dog!. We modified ours further (a couple pictures attached) to make for better sleeping arrangements.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...al-106742.html

We have since moved up to a 30’ which has basically the same lounge but bigger rear bed, shower etc... which is why we bought it - we loved the floor plan.

We did a similar lounge re-configuration with our 30’, again for optimal sleeping arrangements....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	353320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	353321  

Name:	IMG_0376.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	353322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	353323  

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	353325  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #9

2008 19' International
Point Harbor , North Carolina
I think you should be looking at the 30FB bunkhouse layout
I have an older AS that I am rebuilding. It is a time consuming project and not inexpensive. Work of love more than anything. I’m close to being finished and am ready to sell my Forest River Flagstaff 2017 bunkhouse layout. You can view it on RVTrader.
Jeff
2016 Flagstaff 27

AS international 19
Point Harbor, NC
OBXcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Zionsville , Indiana
Thank you all for your responses!
that was kinda what I expected you might say
I am trying to be open to other brands and layouts, but most are so darn ugly and the reviews of people having so many issues (yes AS have issues too) plus I really want to keep it for at least 10 years (we've never kept a car for less than 10 years LOL) and the residual value of another brand after that long it so low!

nryn,
THANK YOU! that is so helpful! Actually, we were just in a 2018 27 and it was so awesome! being a tent camper, initially I started with thinking about a 19, then realized, I needed to go up, so then I thought the 23 would be great, but the storage, water capacities and corner bed have moved me up to a 25. The 27 would be great, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that next bump in my head....

OBXcamper & Bob662
We decided to rule out the bunkhouses. It will only be a couple years after we buy the trailer that our kids go to college and may or may not continue to travel with us. or we might travel to their college (so just us)
Also, the 25 AS I can get a queen/twin plus two additional convertible twins within a 26' overall length, I'm really struggling to find that in another brand - at that length, it's couch OR dinette, I have to get up to 29-30' overall length to get both.

wulfraat,
I considered that layout too! there is/was a 2007 Ocean breeze with that layout, but it has a corner bed. Initially I though the corner bed would be fine, but I can't deny the reality of us getting older and so many people moving away from that corner bed.

thank you again.
Jen
plane_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
We have a 30' Excella. We removed the dinette and doubled the size of the kitchen and storage area. We love the fold out tables at the sofa. Couldn't be better.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 2001 25’ Safari six sleeper (SS). It has a dinette AND couch. Might be a good solution for you but they are a little hard to find. The dinette and couch are supposed to sleep two each and would probably work if all of those people are kids. Would be extremely tight if adults. We love ours.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
DW and I love our 2005 Safari 25 w/ gaucho (couch). However, there are just two of us plus our 6yo grandson on most trips. We have slept 4 several times, but the two on the gaucho have to be really close!

We couldn't imagine sitting up each at night at the dinette; just didn't seem very comfortable. The folding table and gaucho layout offers lots of options, fully open seats 4-6 for a meal, half open perfect for two, closed for entertaining up to 8 on rainy afternoons or evenings.

Why not get the 25 w/couch, and put the kids on a tent?! You camped for decades in a tent! Actually, this is the first time I've seen the 25SS. That seems like a good option for you.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We started with a 2006 25' Safari Limited which had a separate couch and dinette, like in the 28-30' models today. The downside for us was the bed was only 48" wide and corner bath/shower was too small for the wife. The living space was very nice, however with separate dinette and l-shaped couch which made for 2 nice sleeping areas; the couch for 2 adults, and the dinette for 2 smaller adults or kids. Anyway, from there we went to a 2008 25' Twin Safari, but it had the newer "long lounge"/dinette set up. We then upgraded to a brand new 2012 25' Flying Cloud Twin...hated the long lounge/dinette set up because we like to watch TV and if there are 3 or more folks, it is very uncomfortable plus everyone sits in a line with necks cranked toward the TV...We moved to the 28' Flying Cloud Twin in 2017 with ducted AC, an L-Couch, and separate dinette, which works very well for our use model. Gives you ability to lounge on the couch while still providing an area in the dinette for gaming, computing, or whatever. Our only complaint is the cushions in the Flying Cloud are not dense enough, so we are looking to swap them out in Jackson for denser cushions. The "cat's meow" would be to get the couch/lounge that's in the new Classic models, but it is very expensive and won't work in our 28 due to water heater...Interesting thing about Airstreaming is the "choices" one has and the "decisions" they require!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #15
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
when my parents got the first trailer I was a teenager (13-15?) .... I never slept in it .... I brought a tent along and had my own space....or used the back of the truck.
Im going to start this with my grandsons next summer.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Small corner bed and small shower/bath issue with the 25SS is fixed when you move to the 30’ international.... and then you don’t sacrifice the couch / dinette layout.... which is primarily why we made the move to that floor plan.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
We have a 25 classic with the front sofa and twins in the back, we love it. The sofa is great for lounging around and the twins are very comfortable. They also give you some privacy when changing clothes because of the space in between the beds. Also we have had up to 6 people for dinner using both flip up tables.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Jim ,Would like to see pics if you can, thanks
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Look at a hybrid trailer. Ours had 2 queen beds, was easy to set up and towed very well. We still had the tent ends we loved, it was only 21 feet so no issue in National parks, but we had hot water, an indoor kitchen and even amenities like microwave and TV. Then we got older and discovered that tent ends in KOA type park are awful because of street lights and we no longer loved climbing over each other to get out of bed... and that was time to move up!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
We went with the 25fb because we wanted a walk-around queen and didn't like the (lack of) lounge area in the 23fb. We keep the dinette down all the time and still haven't satisfactorily figured out tray tables or whatever when we want to eat inside the trailer, but we don't like keeping the dinette up and don't like changing it all the time either. That older 25 with the separate couch and dinette would probably solve the dining issue, but I wouldn't be willing to lose the queen bed and I really hate that corner bath.

I'd recommend particularly, find one and lay in the bed with your SO, and sit on the toilet with the door closed.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote