Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Would you lend out your Airstream?

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little obsessed. I just lent out my Airstream for a week. My sister asked me if she could use it & I said "sure". Then she informed me that her friend (who I don't know) would be using it for the first part of the week. Holy Cow! I was totally put on the spot & didn't say anything. Some strangers came & took away my trailer! Well, I just got it back today. I have to say, I was relieved it didn't have any dents. I think they messed up the bathroom door, though. What do you guys think? Am I stingy? Should I let them use it again next year? Would You? The problem is, they don't appreciate the time I've spent fixing old Bessie up. If they crash it, just get another one, right? WRONG! Just wondering if I'm nuts, or what!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Mine needs some work. I've been trying to find some dude to do some welding for me. Well, this guy at work said he'd weld it IF I let him take it on a trip. I'm still considering it....thinking about buying a welding machine
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
link

Becky, I was just going to read your post,then I looked at the picture of you're AS , what were you thinking. Don't loan it again is my opinion. Darrell - or lets put it this way. would you ask to borrow someones AS
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
It is all Relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
Okay, maybe .... Just wondering if I'm nuts, or what!
I have been asked to borrow my not very special Airstream.
The answer was no.
Will they repair it? Can they afford to replace it?
A few people would be invited to stay in it.
Funny, now that I think about it, the Airstream is special to me.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, I was thinking that I owed my sister, since I borrowed her motorhome last year for a couple of days. However, her motorhome is like the Beverly Hillbillies. She wanted to use mine, since gas is so high. I didn't know some unknown person came with the deal when I said she could use it. Her husband, who has money coming out of all of his orafices, pulled it in my driveway at about 90 mph today & I almost threw up. He is about as careful as a bull in a china store. I made sure I told him not to force ANYTHING, but apparently, they didn't take that to heart when it came to the little pull on the bathroom door. I think it's toast. Family......can't live with them, can't live without them.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Does your sis have a habit of asking you these kinds of favors? Seems like false advertising to me - if she asked for a personal loan when it was really for someone else.....

I might loan my trailer to a trusted and dear friend who had loads of towing experience.....
maybe....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lending out your Airstream.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm an only child. We have four grown sons. If one of them asked to borrow our Lucy, I would try to discourage it. I might even go so far as rent a motorhome for them to use. I might even lie and tell them that Lucy was broken and in need of repair, something serious, like the A/C is not working right. When it comes to my Lucy, I would do what I have to do. Maybe when Lucy gets older (like 10) I could handle loaning her out. Since we bought Lucy new, we are the only ones who have ever slept in her. I would to keep it that way for as long as possible. SAVE BESSIE.
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I wouldn't loan my '86 Sovereign to anyone anymore than I would ask to borrow yours. Strangers, or those who do not tow RV trailers for that matter, don't understand what we put into our trailers and the damage that can be caused simply by brushing up next to a lamp post or other object. My 22 yr. old son asked to borrow my '01 2500hd to tow my trailer to a state park and I wouldn't let him do that. This is the kid that rolled my '92 4X4 attempting to miss a deer that ran in front of him and I'm going to let him borrow the trailer? Heck no!

Hope for the best and don't ever let it happen again. I can't think of any quicker way of ruining a friendship or relationship than having someone wreck your prized possession. Before anyone says it's only a trailer, it's much more than that!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I did let my sons use Bessie to go on a fishing trip. However, I told them if they crashed it to just keep on going & not come home.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I think it's fine to lend out the airstream as long as they leave a $5000.00 deposit...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Borrow my Airstream ~ NO!

Might consider letting our son borrow it... he has let us borrow his sailboat... but then he understand's the "wrath of mom..." if something goes wrong. But I would put him through the 5th degree asking questions of when, where, how, who, etc. He knows this. I doubt if he will ever ask.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Yeah, as a group, we tend to obsess over our "babies". But you know, it could be a lot worse!

I always wanted an Airstream. Took me 'til age 36 to get one, and even that one needs a lot of TLC. But I'm NOT in favor of loaning it out! Nope, nosiree.... Let them rent a Coleman HA!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
my two cents...

Hi Becky -

I just have to chime in here....I am a new airstreamer and am working hard on my trailer to restore it to its former grandure. Even though I have a long way to go (it's no where near your beauty), there is no way on God's green earth that I would loan out my trailer. It just means too much to me. Having said that, however, I MIGHT tow it somewhere to let a dear friend or family member use it for a special occasion - but it would be under tight scrutiny. Anyone who knows you and knows how much of yourself you have invested in your trailer will understand!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Never!...

I would never loan my Airstream to anybody; friend or relative.
Not that I'm selfish, just particular and very, very careful. They might feel terrible if they backed into something, but feeling terrible wouldn't fix the dent.

I might feel terrible if they dropped a tire off the shoulder, overcorrected, and rolled the trailer and the tow vehicle; but my feeling terrible wouldn't cure their injuries, repair their vehicle or replace my Airstream.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Easy Now

This is a support group.
Friends don't ask to borrow certain things.
I might let my kids use it. But I would also be ready to buy another one.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'll go one step further. I would consider loaning my '56 Thunderbird (Norman) before loaning Lucy.

Brian McCabe
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

No. But you just might be nicer than I am
clecogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I wouldn't loan my '86 Sovereign to anyone anymore than I would ask to borrow yours. Strangers, or those who do not tow RV trailers for that matter, don't understand what we put into our trailers and the damage that can be caused simply by brushing up next to a lamp post or other object. My 22 yr. old son asked to borrow my '01 2500hd to tow my trailer to a state park and I wouldn't let him do that. This is the kid that rolled my '92 4X4 attempting to miss a deer that ran in front of him and I'm going to let him borrow the trailer? Heck no!

Hope for the best and don't ever let it happen again. I can't think of any quicker way of ruining a friendship or relationship than having someone wreck your prized possession. Before anyone says it's only a trailer, it's much more than that!
I did offer to tow it to the state park, set it up for the weekend and then come back for it but I guess that wasn't what he wanted to hear.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, I guess there are things you can tell your sons & daughters (like you wil DIE if you mess up my Airstream), but you can't tell your adult sister these things. I've tried to be gracious & not give any indication of my hyperventilating for the past week. It's true...this is a support group. No one else in my household actually understands!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 08-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
Well, I guess there are things you can tell your sons & daughters (like you wil DIE if you mess up my Airstream), but you can't tell your adult sister these things. I've tried to be gracious & not give any indication of my hyperventilating for the past week. It's true...this is a support group. No one else in my household actually understands!
Becky, what you are feeling is withdrawl! You'll be ok and I'm sure the trailer will be ok.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end