Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Question VFW and American Legion

Being a veteran I've been approached a few times about joining both the VFW and the American Legion. I'm not sure about the differences, both seem pretty similar. Like any organization, the difference can be in the activities at the local Post.

Searching in my local area I find there are both here in Lexington, KY. VFW has one location, American Legion has 3. None of the local websites for these organizations tells me much about what they offer. The American Legion national website seems to be directed towards younger veterans while VFW seems to target older ones. Is this just my perception? Locally, it seems activities are limited to Friday bingo, drinking and smoking.

If you're a member or former member, I'd like to know your experiences. I'd also like to know about the smoking policies. I know they are set by each local post but are all of them smoking? The most popular one here seems to have a lot of smokers. I don't suppose there's a registry of non-smoking posts, is there?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I know little about either organization. I am on the mailing list for both and receive appeals to join and send money with regularity. One benefit I have heard is both offer free RV parking at many of their locations. As to the smoking issue I would think the only way to find out is to give them a visit and see for yourself. Ashtrays and stink are dead giveaways.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Both state you can not be full member if did not serve in military during certain periods of time but I was told could be associate member like spouses NO THANKS. I served honorably including 14 mo. tour in Ger. and 3 years in guard both before and after active duty. IMO they can go scratch.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Both are simply social clubs for veterans.

I believe the VFW requires veteran to have served in a war zone in another country, thus limiting the veteran who can join. Each post has a different makeup, and do different things. Most have an older population, and most of the veteran groups have a hard time recruiting younger veterans.

The best thing to do is to go to a couple activities and see if you like it.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Both are simply social clubs for veterans.

I believe the VFW requires veteran to have served in a war zone in another country, thus limiting the veteran who can join. Each post has a different makeup, and do different things. Most have an older population, and most of the veteran groups have a hard time recruiting younger veterans.

The best thing to do is to go to a couple activities and see if you like it.
From what I've been reading, the biggest problems in recruiting younger veterans is the social club paradigm. The younger veterans are more interested in working as a group for a cause, healthy activities like sports and a flatter organization. There are also more women veterans, which seems to be a problem at some Posts. An article I read had a woman veteran told 'you can't go in there' at the door of a Post while her male companion was welcomed with open arms.

The current organization is more top down structure, social, drinking, poker, bingo and smoking (lots of smoking). I would think the organizations, with declining membership, would be interested in working with all veterans, supporting all types of activities and doing something about the smoke filled rooms.

I guess I was hoping that maybe times are changing, but it seems, at least from what I'm reading, it's pretty much the same.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Almost all organizations in the current society have declining membership.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
VFW has service date requirements and must have served overseas. American Legion is any veteran of any service. there is also Vietnam Veterans, which formed because of the VFW discrimination against them during the late 20th century. They may have combined by now. I find the propaganda from American Legion to not be my taste. I am still a member but not active.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
clear differences

First, the purpose of all the Congressional Chartered Vets groups is to influence the political structure regarding veterans benefits, and to assist their fellow veterans. The VFW and American Legion, have long histories of having local post homes (bars and halls). The DAV and VVA not so much. The AmVets not so much, somewhere between.
Each group has its own rules for membership and reasons for existing spelled out in their charter, below is a short summary.
DAV: To assist Disabled Veterans, eligibility, a VA issued Disability Rating is required for membership. In some ways the pure-hearts of vets organizations,political action only on specific veterans rights issues.

VFW: Must have served in the war zone of a conflict of the US (things like Cuban Missile Crisis can qualify- most actions for which a expeditionary medal was awarded), had been very right wing and political, that is changing from what I hear. Major push to recruit younger nets right now.

American Legion: Anyone who served during war time, declared major or undeclared periods listed by the group, such as Korea, Vietnam, various recent undeclared wars. It does not require war zone service, only war time. Always was the center of many small town activities because of the emphasis on the hall and bar. Made the flag amendment their central focus for years, lost a lot of support because of that.

AmVets: Anyone who served anytime regardless of period and got other than dishonorable discharge. Broadest membership eligibility, some halls. Some places very strong, other places non-existent. More middle politics.

VVA: Vietnam Veterans of America- few halls, focused on legislation and helping Vietnam (era-not just in country) vets. Very strong on recognition of Vietnam and recent vets locally, but elig. is still only Vietnam era.

That is a summary of the major vets groups from my close to 40 years as a veterans advocate, BUT IT IS ONLY ONE PERSON'S OPINION. On the issue of RV parking, some have it, most do not. Good to join at least one if eligible, just to protect the benefits you and current vets earned. Numbers count. I am a life member of VVA and DAV and and annual member of AmVets.

One more thing, meetings tend to be military pomp in general, but easy enough to put up with in order to serve other vets.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I am a life member of both organizations, and am currently Commander of our local Legion Post. We are non-smoking, as are many Posts. The VFW is a little more elitist in that membership is restricted to vets who have served in a war zone. Legion members simply have to have served during a period of war. The distinction is dubious now because The War on Terror allows all vets to join the Legion who have served since 1990. Not sure if this is true for VFW, also, but suspect it is. Posts of both organizations that are worth their status as charitable, non-profit organizations are more than social hangouts. They work on behalf of needy veterans and their families, provide an honor guard at funerals, as well as play active roles within their communities, for example with Scouting, High School baseball teams, Oratorical Societies, Boys/Girls State, etc. We also provide scholarships and work in conjunction with other local non-profits to enhance our community, and we provide a low-cost alternative for things like weddings, banquets, meeting space, concerts, memorial services, etc. Is it worth joining? I think so, but it depends on your local Post, and depends on your willingness to get involved in seeing to it that your Post is more than a hangout for barstool warriors.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Both state you can not be full member if did not serve in military during certain periods of time but I was told could be associate member like spouses NO THANKS. I served honorably including 14 mo. tour in Ger. and 3 years in guard both before and after active duty. IMO they can go scratch.
Interesting post and attitude. More to the rest of the story?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
We found the Elks a good organization to join plus they provide RV parking at many of the lodges across the country; we have always been well received and have have enjoyed many good meals while parked there. There are directorys published which list lodge location by state, RV facilities available, and rates, usually very low.
RalphR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Interesting post and attitude. More to the rest of the story?
I joined Il. guard in 1954 when reactivated in 1954 when returning from korean conflict, 8 former and I started unit again inc. 1st serg. and CO. drafted in 1956 served 2 yrs. US ARMY then back to guard, then honorably discharged in 1960 from guard this should answer your q. as to my serv.
When returned from Ger. attempted to join Legion as I knew not eligible for VFW. Legion told me I was not vet story is told prev. post, now they keep sending me recruitment matl. same story about eligibilty. I am a legit. vet not 5 deferments as president wanabe. Maybe you made chief I made E4 end of story. I never question any persons service................ Yes I have attitude toward Legion as that was not all that was said at that time. When my ranger friend returned from nam after being wounded 3 times [100% disability] told him same story, he is not member of Legion and feels same as me. Plus I qualify for all gov. benifits.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
It a point in my life I was a member of both. VFW requirement... Serve in a combat zone and an honorable discharge. American Legion an honorable discharge. In both cases too much drinking and smoking... Same old stories as they fall off their barstools.

In both cases there are good posts and bad posts and each is very different from another.

When I was younger 30 years ago they were a nice place to stop as you were traveling...

Don't get me wrong but the giving back to society was lacking with the vets... but the wives that was a different story they often worked hard and promoted the posts more then then men... Cheap booze.

Decided it was not my cup of tea... but again keep in mind each post is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I became very sick 18 years ago and ended up in the VA hospital in Denver for three months. The American Legion acted as my advocate to get my illness service connected. They were successful at that, and I cannot thank them enough. Otherwise, I would have spent the rest of my life trying to pay the hospital bill, or I would have had to declare bankruptcy. The Legion is very active in our community with many charitable endeavors, and are a great community asset. They do have the Legion hall and bar, and there are a number of old codgers that hang out down there telling lies, but they're a good bunch of guys. Nobody smokes indoors. Maybe after I retire I'll hang out down there and make up some lies of my own.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nebo , North Carolina
Marine Corps League.

The Marine Corps League has not been listed. It is open to all honorably discharged U. S. Marines. Others such as Navy FMF Corpsman and some other classifications are accepted.
A wonderful group of men and women working to help Marines, service personnel, community and toys for tots.
I also know the D.A.V. helps service personnel with benifits and claims. A great
Organization.

Semper Fi
R Turner,
Old USMC E5
Life member Marine Corps League
Life member D.A.V.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
Al & vfw

I am retired military and life member of both. I joined as I want someone to constantly advocate for Veteran's benefits. I don't have time to constantly monitor what is on the legislative chopping block and send letters here and there but after 27 years in uniform, I want what is legitimately due me. I am not a smoker or drinker and don't attend meetings. I do appreciate that these groups help Vets with VA claims. There are a TON of younger Vets and I think that both organizations are trying to adapt to changing times and demographics to ensure their continued relevance and subsequently- their future.

VFW Life Member
American Legion Life Member
National Guard Association of the United States Life Member
Retired Air Force

Some day - Airstream Owner...
gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
I joined Il. guard in 1954 when reactivated in 1954 when returning from korean conflict, 8 former and I started unit again inc. 1st serg. and CO. drafted in 1956 served 2 yrs. US ARMY then back to guard, then honorably discharged in 1960 from guard this should answer your q. as to my serv.
When returned from Ger. attempted to join Legion as I knew not eligible for VFW. Legion told me I was not vet story is told prev. post, now they keep sending me recruitment matl. same story about eligibilty. I am a legit. vet not 5 deferments as president wanabe. Maybe you made chief I made E4 end of story. I never question any persons service................ Yes I have attitude toward Legion as that was not all that was said at that time. When my ranger friend returned from nam after being wounded 3 times [100% disability] told him same story, he is not member of Legion and feels same as me. Plus I qualify for all gov. benifits.

Thank you for your service and response. I did not mean to question your service as such. Just sounded like there was more to the story and apparently there was. Hold your head up high and be proud. I figure any club that does not want me as a member I can certainly live without.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I suspect the only one I am eligible to join is the DAV, but I'm not really interested. I used their service officer at the La Jolla VA Hospital to upgrade my service connected disability from seizures, to seizures plus PTSD. He was not very helpful at all, and about as understanding and friendly as a fish. The real reason I was able to make my claim happen was my psychiatrist and my psychologist. These two people really went to bat for me writing letters, one of them hand carried one of the letters he wrote up to the gentleman making the decision and "gave him a piece of my mind". Yes, my doctor was po'ed.

However a few months ago I met a great guy from the VVA, (he was at a play I attended), he is a service officer with them. I did not know that the VVA had service officers! I spent about 20 minutes speaking with him. They will help any Veteran fill out claim forms, AND they will counsel them directly afterwards. I know that I really wish I had gone to them. After having to drag up the memories in order to fill out those forms with the DAV officer, I was a complete disaster. The flashbacks started in, I tried to sleep, but then nightmares. I began disassociating, so I don't remember much of those two days but I know I ended up drunk and cutting. From talking with all the Vets I know, (I counsel), I've found this is fairly common after filling claim forms, so now I recommend using your local VVA if they have a Service Officer.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In my prev. post I mentioned my ranger friend nam vet wounded 3 times 100% disabled. Same thing took Sen Dick Durbin to intervene, looks same old story with vets no better.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
When returned from Ger. attempted to join Legion as I knew not eligible for VFW. Legion told me I was not vet story is told prev. post, now they keep sending me recruitment matl. same story about eligibilty. I am a legit. vet not 5 deferments as president wanabe. Maybe you made chief I made E4 end of story. I never question any persons service................ Yes I have attitude toward Legion as that was not all that was said at that time. When my ranger friend returned from nam after being wounded 3 times [100% disability] told him same story, he is not member of Legion and feels same as me. Plus I qualify for all gov. benefits.
Any group that exists to separate us can just go suck it. At some point in our lives WE ALL SIGNED the dotted line that included up to the Possible sacrifice of our lives for our country and WE WERE WILLING.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote