Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
The Gratitude Thread

With all the disturbing stuff going on around us lately, and with many of us stuck at home, it seemed like a good idea (I guess we'll find out!) to start a thread about what we can be grateful for...

I'll start:
My disabled wife is on the super-high-risk list, with five out of the six danger signs listed. But we're being careful, friends are helping us out, and we're doing our best to not be exposed to this stuff.

I have one of the 'essential' type of jobs, as I work in the Aerospace field; I'll leave it there for a public forum. I get to work from home and spend this time being with my wonderful wife of 45+ years, and be there when she needs help; instead of worrying about her well-being and safety from my office cube some 45 miles away.

We built our house together some 30 years ago now; we know every stick and nail that went into it. We got a break on some "view" property, here on the side of a mountain in a tributary of the Columbia River, yet affected by Gorge weather: You don't like it, wait about ten minutes.

We're not rich financially, yet we elected to use some of the retirement money for the Airstream in the upper meadow. She sits there, patiently waiting for times when my wife is doing well and we can go camping.

So we're rich in life, which is part of our Airstream's name: Live, Laugh, Love.

I go out every evening to try and honor God for this place we have been given. The view is amazing in that it changes from hour to hour. (See the attachments.) One is what we call The River Of Clouds; it doesn't occur often, but when it does, it is a gift for the senses.

Over the years, we have rescued many dogs, and they have all given back richly to us. Most, more than others. The latest is an Aussie / Golden mix, and Dara is 80 pounds of sugar.

So yes, it's terrible out there, statistical numbers are just overwhelming; and our hearts break for those afflicted, but we are grateful for every moment we have together.

That's only a small slice of our story, but we are grateful to be sharing this life together. Any others?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-17-18 From Phone 1057.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	364606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190319_181445918_HDR.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	364607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-17-18 From Phone 1048.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	364608  
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
I loved reading your post. I’m happy you found each other - God will continue to bless us. thanks for the words of wisdom. All the best.
fbgairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Steamguy,

It sounds like your life has been very well blessed even through your hardships.

We too live an exceptionally blessed life.

With regard to current situations. Both of our families have healthy people, so far, who are able to work from home. We work in essential jobs and are trying to limit our contactd.

We bought a slightly older, big house on a acre in the city. We refer to it as our lovable money pit.

We have reasonable hopes of part time traveling in our two vintage, still need to be fixed up, airstreams, meet nice people and see our beautiful US of A.

We have faith, hope and love what else can you need. No one ever said it would be easy, just worth it. It has been, every bit of it, and more to come.

Grateful, thankful and faithful.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I am grateful for every morning I wake up. I'm grateful for the method in which I am awakened: my sweet dog's chin tapping the mattress by my head.

The last two years have been rather hellish for me: a happy marriage of 50 yrs--all my adult life--ended with my husband's statement: "I'm divorcing you." No real reason given: found later it was Another Woman. But through my faith in God, for which I am grateful, and caring friends, and the aforementioned sweet dog, I have come through this a whole person again (I think), for all of which I am grateful.

I am also grateful for the 67 Caravel, which another friend found for me, which has restored me to Airstreaming after having to sell my 6 vintage Airstreams in the divorce. And I am soooo very grateful to be back on AirForum with so many like minds to listen to and consult.

Thanks to all of you who are on this website, whoever you are (even those of you who have non-vintage trailers ); I am so very grateful for all of you.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thanks for starting a Gratitude Thread. With so much negativity it nice to focus on positive things.

I thank God each day for the blessings I have, my life, my DW, and my family and friends. I have plenty to eat. I'm comfortable. I'm healthy. Wow! How many people in the world can say yes to all those things!

My mother grew up in Germany during WWII. She lost her home when she was 17 years old, her only sibling, her brother, was killed, she literally lived in a cave for a time, and nearly starved to death. From August 7, 1944, when her town was bombed and her house was destroyed, till she came to America in 1948, her main goal every day was to find enough food. Only when she got here did she get enough to eat. And we hear complaints because we can't leave our comfortable houses or because there is a temporary shortage of toilet paper!

So I'm very, very grateful and I appreciate everything that I have been blessed with!

Again, thanks for starting the thread!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am thankful I have six rolls of TP. And a good margarita after dinner. Mildly buzzed and sleepy. In the morning I will be clearly more awake.and more grateful for all the people and things that make life good.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Only about 25 cases of Covid19 in Pasco County unlike south Florida, Miami, Tampa, etc. Just pray that does not make anyone complacent. There was 1 case a month ago.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Streamguy,

Nicely stated. Hope it all blows over soon just like your weather.

We're full time taking care of the grand-kids till things get back to semi-normal. Both parents are working and not having the grands expose, school closed etc it just worked out. Our spot is out in near nowheresville SC and have enough property to have camp Hickory in the back yard and it's playground and campfire ready.

And I think we can add our medical, first responders and LEO to the list of gratitude. I know two of our closest but far away fellow AS'ers are both serving their community. Thank's Tom and Wendy.

Best wishes to all from Camp Hickory the Grand-kids and my best 1/2 Linda.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Resurrecting this thread, well, just because.

About two weeks ago, we had a power surge - a big one. Sounded like a truck hit the house. Minor fatality was a smart-plug, but ... it killed the HVAC, but good.

We opened windows and got ready to just stand the heat; it's been in the 90s since. The guys came out and troubleshot; thank God (I mean that literally) that the system is still under warranty, so those thousand-dollar-plus circuit boards in the air handler's controller and the outdoor controller were covered.

As of yesterday, we're finally cool again. The house was 78° when I started the system and closed up; the coolest it'd been in that couple weeks.

Meanwhile, I was petting Dara late on a Thursday evening and found a pea-sized lump on her leg. I resolved to call the vet the next morning, as I thought it could be an infected scratch. I had forgotten that she's half Golden Retriever. Earliest I could get her in was Monday morning. By then the lump was the size of half a Roma tomato.

I got the news on Monday afternoon: Canine Mast Cell Cancer, one of the most, if not the most aggressive types of canine cancer. Fortunately her radiographs showed she had no incursions in her organs, so we caught it early. I tell you, it was a God thing that I found the lump. I don't normally pet her on her legs, but for some reason my hand was directed there.

She had chemo pills to take pre-op and post-op. Great, great news: Her surgery was successful; the biopsy came back with good margins. You bet she got tearful hugs and pets at this good news. She's in remission from The Golden Curse, and we'll remain vigilant for the rest of her life, which should be long and happy, now.

So we have at least two new things to be grateful for.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thanks for sharing Steamguy!

So glad things turned out well for Dara! And, like you, we all have things to be thankful for. Sometimes it's when we have something bad happen that we notice the good things!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
“I’m thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, and dreams that turned into reality.”
Amanamus

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
“I’m thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, and dreams that turned into reality.”
Amanamus

Bob
🇺🇸
Well said!
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not mine...it was a plaque on Gramma's kitchen wall.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
Resurrecting this thread, well, just because.

She's in remission from The Golden Curse, and we'll remain vigilant for the rest of her life, which should be long and happy, now.

So we have at least two new things to be grateful for.
Congratulations! That is terrifically good news! My boy is 8 yrs old, and as I see the gray appear on his chin and among his whiskers, I am already grieving his loss! Silly, but he is my baby, as Dara is yours, and their loss is terrible. So happy for you that you will have many more years with her.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
If you can start the day seeing / touching / speaking / walking / smelling / breathing / hearing / peeing / pooping / otherwise healthy and have someone to share everything with its a pretty good day!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
If you can start the day seeing / touching / speaking / walking / smelling / breathing / hearing / peeing / pooping / otherwise healthy and have someone to share everything with its a pretty good day!
Amen brother!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Amen brother!
You know it Hanno!
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #18
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
I can say ditto to all of the above!

Thankful for the privilege of living in wide open spaces and less populated places in the nation. Thankful for having a sense of humor in times of trouble, having an open mind and positive attitude through some of the darkest times in my life; thankful my spouse has survived a stroke, cancer, and has been able to enjoy the first 4 years of retirement.

Thankful for living a simple life within our means that has put us in a place to have extra play funds to buy our AS outright. Thankful for loving what I do because I can do what I love for an employer that has allowed me to work from home for the last 6 months, and for the remaining six months before retirement.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote