Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

2011 22' Sport
Dripping Springs , Texas
New AS Owner - General Questions

I have just purchased a 2011 Sport 22FB. I have the following questions:

1. It does not have a rear bumper. I want to mount a receiver hitch in order use a bicycle carrier and a storage rack. Has anyone done this or could advise me about this. Will this damage the frame? I was thinking I could carry my Yamaha 3000 generator (150#) there.

2. The water pump makes a loud noise. Sounds like it could be air in the pipes or something like that. Any advice? Thanks,
MoDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDrifter View Post

1. It does not have a rear bumper. I want to mount a receiver hitch in order use a bicycle carrier and a storage rack. Has anyone done this or could advise me about this. Will this damage the frame? I was thinking I could carry my Yamaha 3000 generator (150#) there.

2. The water pump makes a loud noise. Sounds like it could be air in the pipes or something like that. Any advice? Thanks,
DO NOT add any weigh to the rear end.

To do so will cause damage, AND void your warranty.

Bikes can be carried inside of the trailer, or in a truck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
General consensis on this forum is DO NOT hang anything from the rear of the trailer.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Congratulations and welcome to Airforums.com! As things go on, you'll find lots of questions, and this is where you find lots of answers for them!

Quote:
Andy is right: it's really quite a big no-no to attach stuff to the back of your 'Stream: it can cause the frame to separate from the body, in an extreme case. As you can imagine, that is not a Good Thing.

Quote:
This might seem like a silly question, but do you have water in the tank?

Again, congratulations on a great trailer, and welcome to airforums!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey there MoDrifter. No bumper? Wow, that seems odd. There are a lot of discussions on adding any weight to the bumper/rear end area. Most all agree that it is not a good idea. Here's a few threads that touch on the subject:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...eam-69020.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-34749.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ing-73313.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-55395.html

I found these threads using the Search function at the top of the site. Course, I first typed rear hitch and got all types of results on hitches in general. WOW.

My water pump sounds like a disposal with a peach pit inside. But it's because it isn't isolated well and moves around a lot - factory service center said it is okay. I know they are better isolated for motion in the newer trailers like yours though...

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pumps are not isolated very well from the factory. Mine was screwed down very tightly to the floor. The rubber feet should only be tightened till the screw heads just make contact with the rubber feet. Also, I recommend a surflow kit (forgot what it is called) which includes 2 sections of flexible hose. They act as a pulsator and take some of that noise out. Also, make sure that none of the lines around the pump (including the surflow kit) are touching any wooden surfaces.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Our 22'FB sport did the same thing look here for answers,reduced the noise by 90%
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...oud-69045.html
I also added the same thing to the inlet, took away another 5%

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:

MoDrifter:

1. It does not have a rear bumper. I want to mount a receiver hitch in order use a bicycle carrier and a storage rack. Has anyone done this or could advise me about this. Mount a bicycle rack on top of your tow vehicle; we did this on our Expedition! I was thinking I could carry my Yamaha 3000 generator (150#) there. Don't!!!!

2. The water pump makes a loud noise. Sounds like it could be air in the pipes or something like that. Ours makes a noise too; talked a tech regarding the noise. Not an issue.

Ed
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Everyone has given you good advice but I'll add a bit more, the 22' Sport does not have a lot of load carrying capacity so you need to be carefull when loading for a trip. We are minimalists so this doesn't bother us. We buy supplies as we go along and fill the water tank about a third full when starting out unless we are boondocking. Saves on gas too!
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's another thought: the front end of many pickups can quite comfortably withstand the extra weight you are describing. Perhaps you should investigate putting a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle.

An extra benefit could be the you might then have an interesting way to hitch your trailer for getting your trailer into difficult parking spots. Of course, you would also have to make sure that the hitch and front suspension will support that weight as well.