Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bumper DRAG and BEND: OTJ Repair

I have experimentally verified that a hard drag on the skid loops will in fact lift the back of the frame on a 22 footer hard enough to put a ‘beauty mark’ all the way across the lifted back corner to darn near the centerline.

They are not back there to hold it up, just make a horrible noise to let you know you just put a crimp in your aluminum. Sort of like the ‘oil pressure’ idiot light that lets you know you just lunched the engine...

Jacking up to change a wheel out? I stand there and watch. One move in the wrong direction and it’s ALL done for the tire buster that tries to jack up the Airstream.

My 2007 International does not have marked jack points because the tanks are in the way. The axle plate is the only safe lift point and it takes a skinny hydraulic floor jack to get in there. (No shock absorbers either—I looked most carefully got them).

Interesting thing was the tire guys at Sam’s Club were well aware of the situation. They were most careful changing out the old tires to GYEs. Guess where I’ll buy the next set 5-6 years hence?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
YEP

I could never understand AS's logic of putting a "jack point" as far away from what needs work as possible, with an arrow pointing directly towards a water line, putting great stress on the frame. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	362081   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0b.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	362082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_829.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	362083  
Old 03-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Even w/skid devices or rollers, if drag one corner it will can that corner, My AS is proof it will happen. Ether 1 of these items added to rear will reduce clearance to ground.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. Fortunately the bends and wrinkles are not causing leaks.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Ditto. Fortunately the bends and wrinkles are not causing leaks.
When my AS was canned was 1/4 gap about 3 inches long between rub rail and side, didn't take chance sealed w/parbond not very big wrinkle, no damage to frame.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Does anyone have a photo to post of a 'near missed bumper drag'?

Nancy thought I had a photo of using the Tree Crotch to fix my bumper drag. She was helping me at the time. That ended the discussion when I asked, "taken by whom?".

I will make a point this year to take photographs of asphalt bumper drags and those crossing back country dips in the dirt roads. Often the hardware left unknowingly dragged off is useful for emergencies.

Some of you may remember 'BUMPER JACKS'. I still have mine. For some reason Jeeps seem and 4x4 lifted trucks carry them. I used my last on a 1957 Ford pickup two wheel drive. Probably wanted to hurt myself.

I use it for other purposes, today. Like if a slab of concrete has settled and you can get some lumber and get under it with the BUMPER Jack. It works.

Also to pull small dead trees out of our yard. Scrub oak... no problem for Ray.

If I needed to straighten a BENT Rear Airstream Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper 16 foot Bambi.. perfect. Remove bumper, find a tree with a low hanging branch... figure a leverage point on the bent bumper... a solid piece of lumber... and go to it. If you are struggling to use the already long handle... add something into it.

For $430 to $450, savings... the previous posters are on top of things.

Gives a totally new meaning when saying "Lets go to the Drag Strip at Great BEND National Park...
Old 03-06-2020, 03:08 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper

Bwahahaha!! Too funny!! I have no idea what my bumper is made of. I have a ‘78 Argosy 30. My trailer IS equipped with rear Wheels. About 5 or 6” actual swiveling caster wheels. My previous trailer - SOB - also 30’, had these same caster wheels. They have always seemed to work well but I don’t go ‘cray cray’ with them. I also appreciate the steel front & rear end caps as they help to protect from low hanging branches. Happy Camping to each and every one of us!!
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bumper 'Drag Queen' Clues on Used Trailers

If you are wondering if any trailer you are looking at has had a Bumper Drag, it is simple.

Below the frame that the Bumper is attached, with a total of FOUR Screws, are a single skid plate welded to the frame on each side. These are also spray painted Black. If the bottom is silver iron showing.... hmmm. A true dragger.

The bottom edge is at 90 degrees and about an inch wide. This is to help 'prevent' bumper drag damage, when you are dragging your frame, but not your bumper. Yet.

You will hear it. The 2006 23 foot Safari had slightly smaller tires at 14 inches and a bit closer to the ground and bumper. I had put a good shine on it over 8 years. Never a Bumper Drag... but getting close.

When leaving a Service Station with some 'grooves' in the asphalt from OTHER RV OWNERS, roll both windows down and... listen. Better yet, have someone stand watch and if it is getting a bit too... close. They will Yell.

"Stop. You are dragging your Bumper like Ray the Bumper Drag Queen."

I earned the title all by myself. You may also, now you know the rest of the story.

Worst towns for Bumper Dragging leaving a Service Station for ME: Flagstaff (Many local stations), Arizona, second place Magdalena, New Mexico (one on the North side of highway through town) and one station at Pahrump, Nevada... the killer Drag KING drop... but you will see it on the north exit Station is on the East side of main road. You would be leaving a Bumper and bending your Frame!

I backed up the trailer and exited from where I entered at Pahrump. Although the price of Diesel was the best seen. This drop was to move Monsoon Water runoff away from the station. If you do not pay attention... you may be posting with a photograph and tires spinning in the AIR.