Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Darol, someday you will be really old and have to sell your Airstream. Remember to let us know how that goes.

Gene
Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Well, the search has ended and I hope it will also end the unfavorable comments on this thread. I've turned traitor. Found a Holiday Rambler, 1986, 31' Imperial that has been owned since 1987 by the same couple. They have decided their trailering days were over, bought a new Honda 2-door sport coupe and will stay in motels at the beach from now on. This HR has the Mor-Ryde suspension, new brakes & tires, nearly new equalizer hitch, newer fridge and furnace, and 1 month old deep-cycle batteries. The interior is a little dated, but has perfect oak cabinetry, brown/charchoal upholstry, day/night shades, sheer curtains, AND drapes in excellent condition. Also has built-in vacuum system with all the attatchments. Galley has 4-burner range (spotless!) with oven, microwave, double stainless sink with grey granite-looking formica and the best fitting sink covers ever. Dinette is across from the galley. Large center bath with huge shower and great gobbs of storage and closet space. Rear bedroom has twin beds. Lights all over. Needs a few things like new roof vents which will most likely be Fantanstic fans, couple of 12 volt lights, replace a couple UGLY 120V light fixtures, a new TV antenna, a good scrub for the exterior, and a little touch up on the dark trim paint. It was only 30 miles from home and I gave them their full asking price of $2500 plus an extra $100 for the new hitch. So, compared to the '97 25' Excella (200 miles southeast and no photos) for $16,000, the '90 29' Excella in Olympia that I could not have for $15,000, and the '95 30' Excella (200 miles north) for $20,000, I think everything turned out OK. Since this trailer will not be going far and I wanted something to be comfortable in over the winter months, I think it fits the requirements. Its always exciting to look for a trailer, but even better when you find a nice surprise. Oh yes, these folks were 86 years old and very nice people. Darol
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #83

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You paid how much!? Is that a misprint? I think you got a steal there! I'd give you a hard time about it being an SOB, except I have a feeling as soon as you're back on your feet you'll find yourself traveling in Aluminum again

Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! $2500... did it have killer bees in it? (sorry, been reading other threads). Didn't know this one got so off track....

Darol... I know we all love aluminum... but care to share photos of what the other side looks like? Sounds perfect for your needs... AND some nice dollars to keep in ones pocket too.

Best of luck!
Marc
Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
With it's rivited Aluminum skin over an Aluminum structure...I think you'll be happy with the HR. We still miss our 34' Class A Presidential.

Ya' thought about Polishing it?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Good show! Let those old grumpies keep their trailer. You got a DEAL!

My dad has a 31' Holiday Rambler 5er and it's super nice. He's very happy with it, and I'm sure you will be with your's too. Even if it's not round, they are a very well made coach. And at the price you got it, you can't go wrong!

Happy camping!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #87
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Darol, if the one you wanted originally sits on the market long enough, maybe you can get it for $12,500 and have both trailers for what you originally were going to pay.

Gene
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We wanna see pictures! Way to go, Darol! It sounds like a great trailer ~ and I can vouch that you will take good care of it!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Now it's happened to me!

We have been looking for a larger unit and we found one in the local paper, so looked at it and it's in great shape, but we needed to sell our old unit first. So we keep looking at the ad in the paper and they lowered the price, they they lowered it again, and then again, almost 5K less then when we looked. So last night we go and look at it again, and ask about price, we where told they had no intention of selling at the lower price but they had to because they used a 'sure sell' ad in the paper that made them lower the price by %5 each week!!! I'm going to counter him, but if you list it for a price you should sell it for a price! They need the money to finish a home remodel, so cash in hand might change there mind.

Sigh
Damon
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Damon, Although it probably wouldn't help, you could check in with small claims court and bring a complaint against the seller and the newspaper for false adverising. Sounds like a Dutch auction that's backfired. I think I'd bring a large friend posing as an attorney and pay them a second visit! Darol
Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #91
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
May it please the court…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls View Post
I think I'd bring a large friend posing as an attorney and pay them a second visit! Darol
Hunter Thomson's 300 lb. Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, may be available (please see "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas").

Gene
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Hunter Thomson's 300 lb. Samoan attorney, Dr. Gonzo, may be available (please see "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas").

Gene
But watch out for bats!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Legal Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
We have been looking for a larger unit and we found one in the local paper, so looked at it and it's in great shape, but we needed to sell our old unit first. So we keep looking at the ad in the paper and they lowered the price, they they lowered it again, and then again, almost 5K less then when we looked. So last night we go and look at it again, and ask about price, we where told they had no intention of selling at the lower price but they had to because they used a 'sure sell' ad in the paper that made them lower the price by %5 each week!!! I'm going to counter him, but if you list it for a price you should sell it for a price! They need the money to finish a home remodel, so cash in hand might change there mind.
Sigh Damon
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Damon,
Daryl is correct in his thought, get 3 or 4 copies of the ad keep a copy of the ad for yourself, the others will have to go to the court, BBB, and such, and offer them the listed price if they dont sell it at that price to you and you find out that they did sell it to another person then you do have legal action in small claims, and the BBB. I would also carry a tape recorder in your pocket and catch them admitting that they knowingly false advertised.
Question is do you really want to spend the money for a Small Claims court action? something that may take a month or longer to get them (seller and paper) in court and if the seller sells it before the court date you will be out that money, the court may grant it back to you and then again the court may not. If you do make it to court you will have to have cash in hand (or loan ready) because the judge is going to go in your favor, if you dont have the ability to pay and you go before the judge well lets just say I would not want to be in your shoes.
Like Daryl said I would take the ad with you, cash in hand, and a witness, and approach them to get them to sell it at the lower price with a bluff of legal action because of false advertising and see if they sell.
The other alternatives is contacting the BBB, the newspaper editor/ manager, let the paper know that you are going to file a complaint with the BBB on the issue and supply the BBB with a copy of the ad. I think there is a newspaper organization that oversees newspapers and addresses issues concerning false advertisement, I think it is called something to the effect of responsible journalism.
One last thing is and this is more cheaper than court, let the seller and the paper know that you are going to take out an ad in a competeing newspaper and advertise that they knowingly false advertise, that you also are going to write everyone who advertises in their paper a letter and tell them that this paper participates in false advertising and it in your mind makes you wonder what kind of business would buy ads in a paper that practices this activity, thus causing their advertisers to place pressure on the paper

Sarge
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #94
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Nope - an ad in the paper is an invitation for you to make an offer. They have no obligation to you and you acquired no rights just because you read the ad.

Now that's not to say that these prople operate like folks I'd want to shake hands with.

Pat
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #95
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Pat's generally correct. It's basic common law contract law but some states may have changed that. Colorado, for example, has a consumer protection act based on a model act that states can, but do not always enact. Furthermore, they can weaken or strengthen it. I've been retired so long I don't remember whether that particular fact pattern is covered.

Gene
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #96

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I got to see Darol's new trailer last night, and he has to say nice things about the old folks now, because these old folks took excellent care of the HR. It is super nice! I can't believe he got such a deal on it! The only thing it's lacking is a shiney exterior!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The only thing it's lacking is a shiney exterior!
That's what silver spray paint is for!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #98
_

. , .
well, it looks like this marauding pack of wb' tattooed old people are at it again...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...mer-43999.html

could this be the same trailer?

i sure hope so 'cuze the story just keeps adding new wrinkles!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Hi Folks;
I have followed this thread from the beginning, and I have difficulties understanding the logic behind this thread. Since so many before me stuck their two cents into this issue, I like to know what compels some people to pursue the "Unreachable Quest". Does it really make sense to turn "right hand threaded nut" clockwise to remove it? You know that it will be very difficult and that at some point it will break, when you apply enough pressure. Why not put some penetrating oil and wait a bit and then turn it counterclockwise as you should.

Pushing us older folks does not work, and it puts us on the offensive. Even I, during my four decades in business, had some customers with which I did not wanted to deal with. Each one for different reasons. When a deal appears to have too many difficulties or obstacles, I simply move onto next thing on my list to do. We must realize that none of us can please everyone and I know this so well.
I guess I have been blessed with intuition, and every time I go against it, I loose every single time. Call it whatever you want, stupidity, felling cocky or testing my intuition, it all ends up in the waste basket. As a rule I do not insult anyone unless they insult me first, and even then my form of insult most of the time is in the form of a intelligent exit. I have fail to see the point of so many individuals beating dead horse in this thread. Get a life and move on, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

When I shopped for a AS, third time was a charm. I know someone who got a 1976 26" Argosy in better condition than mine for $500.00 but that does not upset me. Yes, I have overpaid based on the condition, but that was what I wanted and the deal was smooth from the start to finish. I hold no grudges against the seller. Price?, I got over it, before I laid out the cash. It took me two years and lot more money including almost 1800 hours of my work to restore my Arg, but I got what I wanted and have something that no one else has, a custom built Argosy on fully Stainless Steel structural trussed frame which is light weight and eight times stronger than factory original. The ride? my wife forgot a one gallon of water on the kitchen counter. One hundred seventy miles of Pennsylvania's bad roads further, it was still in the same spot she left it. Easy deal, sweet ending and I love it. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #100
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, Boatdoc, moving on is a good thing.

Dr. Gonzo is not the lawyer I would chose to sue anyone and I only meant to inject a little humor into a thread that should have died quietly.

Sounds like you have a great Argosy.

I have to confess I got a parking ticket in your home town, Norristown, almost 50 years ago and moved on (tore it up). I guess the statute of limitations now protects me.

Gene
Closed Thread