Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Sometimes old just means distrustful, suspicious and a little senile.

But then don’t discount the old Greek proverb: Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Tom.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Janet, Thanks for the offer! Maybe I should hire you and Stephanie to close the deal. Bet they wouldn't give you guys the run-around. (I'd hide around the corner and watch!) This might work out for the best, anyway. There are a couple of very nice Holiday Ramblers that are newer, larger, and better for winter living available in the Vancouver area for the same or less $$$. I realize re-sale value would not be as good, but - - . Darol
Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Wink I Forgot The Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Old people equals wisdom.

But it's also sometimes a lot of fun, being a senior.

Seniors, everywhere, stand your ground.

Andy
YEAH! You young punks betta watch yer step.
Very senior dude here.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Darol, how long has it been since anyone's called you a young punk You little whippersnapper!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I got scamed by some YOUNG people once... 'course I was young then, also and didn't know any better.

Seems the "old folks" were trying to be careful not wanting to make any mistakes for their friends. I agree with Andy about when younger, you were able to recover more quickly. Financial dealings & mishaps could hurt but you had more time to rebound. Perhaps not so with these folks.

Reminds me of a George Carlin routine where he talks about age milestones. He said that those that are 90 & above have one thing in common with preadolescents... they measure age in half's.. Ask a 5 year old and they'll say with pride "I'm 5 & 1/2!". A 91 year old... "made it to 91 & 1/2!" (with the same amount of pride)
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Stop the train!! Didn't mean to start an age war - after all I'm 61. And it was NOT a matter of $$$ on their part. There was a new diesel pickup, another newer 29' WB Airstream in the yard, and boasts about an aluminum jet boat. No, it was a matter of selecting the "right" buyer and I wasn't it. I have nothing against getting older, although I probably won't have the chance what with lukimia lurking in my bones, but I would like to enjoy what's left with nice toys. I'll keep looking. Darol
Old 07-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Andy
I am a SENIOR an I was taught to be open minded toward everyone. If I don't understand something rather than blow off a buyer you try to come to a resolution so everyone leaves happy. If you decide not to sell something tell them and why, you don't make lame excuses.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Hope the two teachers from Florida don't make the trip and get the same treatment.

That would make your $75.00 and a lost day a drop in the bucket.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Hope the two teachers from Florida don't make the trip and get the same treatment.

That would make your $75.00 and a lost day a drop in the bucket.
You'd probably see that one on the evening news.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #30
flush riveter

1967 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
kelso , Washington
HR ,Yeah baby!

Get that Holiday Rambler-----and then take it down and get it chromed!!! That'll show 'em.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Darol - a Holiday Rambler? ... man, you must be sick! : ) (Tongue FIRMLY in cheek!!)

Actually, a square box would have more cubic feet of living area... thinking of turning the Pontiac into a fifth wheeler?

Been sending postive thoughts your way since TL.
Marc
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls View Post
it was a matter of selecting the "right" buyer and I wasn't it. Darol
Darol, Do you really think these people gave you the run-around simply because they deemed you unworthy?

If you're sure about that, then I'd wait to make my deal with the owner when he returns. Maybe offer a little more than the asking price as a good will jesture and when it came time to shake on it I'd say "just kiddin" and be on my way.

I'd even chip in on the gas bill.

Roger
Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls View Post
Stop the train!! Didn't mean to start an age war - after all I'm 61. And it was NOT a matter of $$$ on their part. There was a new diesel pickup, another newer 29' WB Airstream in the yard, and boasts about an aluminum jet boat. No, it was a matter of selecting the "right" buyer and I wasn't it. I have nothing against getting older, although I probably won't have the chance what with lukimia lurking in my bones, but I would like to enjoy what's left with nice toys. I'll keep looking. Darol
Hi, Darol Ingalls. I'm one year older than you and I can understand where the old people are coming from. I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my life time. In my younger years I sold cars to stangers and friends who never registered or insured these vehicles in their name. At that time I owned nothing and had nothing to lose. One car was totalled and went to the junk yard still registered to me. [LIABILITY] Now, with all the scams out there, I'm afraid of cash too. If you want to pay me in cash, take me to a branch of your bank and make a withdrawal in front of me. I don't want drug money or counterfit bills. Or have your bank or Post Office make me a certified check. I have made big differences in the way I buy and sell things now.
Now on the other side of the coin, I only deal with the actual owner, no third parties. No title in hand, no deal. I also bought an unregistered vehicle once and the local DMV became my second home, for several weeks, while they drained my pockets with charges for about seven previous owners and about fourteen years of tags. [such a deal that turned out to be] To avoid all this hassle, we gave my wife's Thunderbird to our grandson, versus trying to sell it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Darol Ingalls. I'm one year older than you and I can understand where the old people are coming from. I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my life time. In my younger years I sold cars to stangers and friends who never registered or insured these vehicles in their name. At that time I owned nothing and had nothing to lose. One car was totalled and went to the junk yard still registered to me. [LIABILITY] Now, with all the scams out there, I'm afraid of cash too. If you want to pay me in cash, take me to a branch of your bank and make a withdrawal in front of me. I don't want drug money or counterfeit bills. Or have your bank or Post Office make me a certified check. I have made big differences in the way I buy and sell things now.
Now on the other side of the coin, I only deal with the actual owner, no third parties. No title in hand, no deal. I also bought an unregistered vehicle once and the local DMV became my second home, for several weeks, while they drained my pockets with charges for about seven previous owners and about fourteen years of tags. [such a deal that turned out to be] To avoid all this hassle, we gave my wife's Thunderbird to our grandson, versus trying to sell it.
Hi Bob;
Your quote has me fired up because you are so right. With as much as I hate to hear about all the nasty tricks and schemes which some people are planning in advance to unload on you, one better think as if they were 80 years old. I have been in my own business for a very long time.
I remember day's when a handshake was worth more than any agreement written by a lawyer. This world has changed. Schemes are so numerous that one needs a calculator to total them. There are none that have not have been tried based on our present laws. There are however thousands that we have not come to face with yet. This is exactly why I enjoy my existence based on my reputation and word of mouth advertising. I always tend to select jobs I accept, based on the gut feeling from the conversation with the individual. I must admit that 10 percent of times my opinion is wrong, but I enjoy my 90 percent. Bad Credit Cards, bad or counterfeit checks, counterfeit money and money orders. Fake wire transfers. Checks bouncing a one month later. People sue you for their money back because you forgot to clean up one of your fingerprints. People sue you because their trailer bearing burned out, when all they have ask you to do is change the engine oil and filter. But it is me who is at fault because I neglected to inspect their wheel bearing and for warn them about that. What worst, is that court system will tell you that the ultimate responsibility is with you, because you did not mention the bad bearing. If you did according to the judge, they would not spill their boat all over the hi way. On the other hand, I could tell you stories of individuals who got literally screwed by others and come to me to have my shop repair it properly. They cry on my shoulder and call me a Saviour after they tested their boat day after I have repaired it. One month later comes a summons to a court as a expert witness because they are suing the previous repair shop. There are letters from attorneys to answer, wasted time in court waiting to find out it was postponed three times just because shop owner called out sick . The Saviour gets into more dung by being nice to those individuals. This is why I have special agreements to sign for all others. My steady customers who do not have their boats serviced anywhere else are not asked to sign the special agreement. Now I am in hot water because I discriminate. It is a constant bunch of poop and I thank God I have more than enough work from my steady and dedicated customers. Special agreements are sickening to me, but my business cannot survive while I am sitting in the courtroom even if I was paid hundred dollars per hour. One needs to live few decades in the present world to learn all the unpublished tricks. Who is to know what the older folks selling the AS have experienced before, or what they were told even what they were thinking. If Darrol has chosen to deal with the third hand party, perhaps she should have thought twice if it did not feel good. As the old saying goes do not count your chickens until they hatch. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Darol[/quote]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Heres food for thought, And I have experienced this myself in a recent purchase. (see part II)
Under one part of the law if you was to have an accident not only can you be sewed but so can the owners, many of the older generation knows of this part of the law and they have it stuck in their minds and you are not going to change their mind, what they dont know is once you have a signed bill of sale or title they are no longer liable, but you are not going to convince them of that.
If you really want the trailer give into their wishes call them and ask them to let you know when they will be back and you will meet them with cash or cashiers check get all the paperwork done the way they want.
Once the deal is done then you wont have to put up with them again and you will have a really nice trailer.
Part II; On the recent purchase I had, the trailer had to be taken to the loan company, pictures taken, paperwork signed, check made out, but they did not want to do that even though I showed them where I did have the insurance to cover the towing of the trailer. They was so set in their ways that we ended up going to the loan company taken care of everything then me going and getting plates, the loan company had a copy of the insurance binder to show them, then I went to get it.
Now I did not have to drive as far as you did, but it is just the fact that they had this in their head that if I pulled the trailer off the property and something happened they was responsible and there was no changing it. They also had someone else wanting it, only problem with this scenerio was all the rigamaro I neglected in finishing my inspection and did not catch a few serious problems. Given the condition of the trailer overall, I dont mind spending the extra money for the repairs because of the condition it will be in once I get it right and the fact that we plan on living in this one for 2 years then selling it.

Sarge
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
If you want to pay me in cash, take me to a branch of your bank and make a withdrawal in front of me. I don't want drug money or counterfit bills. Or have your bank or Post Office make me a certified check.

certified checks are not as secure as you might think, just ask your bank!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

So now I'm the criminal!?!?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
lol, no!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
if you really want it...

okay... my wife will tell you I am a truly devious person.

find some really distinguished WBCCI member and get them to go and buy the unit for you. I'd bet there is someone here who would have some fun with this. He/she can have all of the paperwork necessary and arrive in a blazer and blue beret! Come on... the object is to get the trailer

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Darol,

I wouldn't assume that you are right in saying that the seller leaves all his obligation behind as soon as he sells the trailer (in a proper manner).

Here in Ontario, careful sellers go with the purchaser to the Motor Vehicle Department to change the ownership over. Why? Because the seller is still legally responsible for the vehicle until the new title is issued to the purchaser.

Better safe than sorry.
Closed Thread