Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Garfield I noticed you pull yours with a Yukon. How does it pull it in terms of performance, hills, what gear do you use, sway, stability?
In general would you replace it with the same type if you wanted to?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1
Garfield I noticed you pull yours with a Yukon. How does it pull it in terms of performance, hills, what gear do you use, sway, stability?
In general would you replace it with the same type if you wanted to?
Heheh...well, that's a good question! We pick the trailer up next week. But I towed a 31' 7" Trail Cruiser for three seasons with no problems, so I'm expecting the 25' 10" Safari will tow much more easily. The Safari is only 200 lbs heavier, but of course is far more aerodynamic which will make a big difference at highway speeds.

When towing the TC I never exceeded 62 MPH (100 KPH) and always ran in third gear (OD would never hold anyway). The 5.3L 3.73 purrs happily at 2600 RPM and rarely has to drop to second except on the steepest/longest hills provided I would allow it to slow down to 55 MPH on occasion when necessary. We towed through the White Mountains (NH/VT) with narry a problem but the hills of Virginia would be tougher. I woudn't want to tow that combo through the Canadian Rockies.

Overall I was happy the way the Yukon towed, knowing that it was no powerhouse, although it did porpoise some. The Hensley was essential for that setup in my opinon.

Would I buy another? Possibly, although one reason we bought a 25 foot A/S was because when it comes time to trade the Yukon I'm going to look at a V6 or maybe one of the new baby diesels that are being developed. With oil approaching $100 a barrel (and soon to surpass that I expect) I'm hoping this will be the last V8 I own!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
We have a pick up date!

We are scheduled to get our new SilverLining next Thursday! I was hoping to be able to pick it up on a weekend to avoid both of having to take a day off work, but since we are getting a Hensley Hitch, they said the Hensley person is not there on the weekends.

Now I am really getting anxious. Does anyone know if there is any checklist posted on this list for items to look for when picking up the AS. Our salesperson seems very knowledgable, so I am in good hands.

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats on the new trailer. Ours is midnight sun and we're very happy with it. If you're getting it from Colonial, they do a very thorough walk through with you.

I'll look for you at NJ trials next spring. Our last for the year is this weekend just five miles from home!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Great News

Now Wer'e Talk'n......keep Posting!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
_

. , .
congrats on the expected delivery!

most dealers (all) are supposed to use an a/s provided docuement.

the 'pdi' checklist.

it covers all the basic systems and you are expected to sign it at some point in the closing, affirming the dealer used it.

perhaps your salesperson can fax/email you a copy NOW so you can get started on YOUR list of issues and questions.

the forums here has a section called 'buyer guidelines' and several have posted checklists or issues to cover at delivery.

and how best to handle the delivery event.

read those threads....

here are just 2 from that section u might find useful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...elp-37904.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...prep-6833.html

everyone loves to have someone else generate a checklist, but the truth is we all have different needs.

so what's individually important is based on rv experience, a/s experience, rv applance/systems experience, time available, stamina and so on.

some folks need 5 hours just to sort out the tele and radio, while others have a 12 yo electronics expert at home for that...

folks who choose not to stay at least ONE NIGHT camping in the dealer lot really short-change themselves...

and usually set themselves up for extra trips BACK with trailer in tow, for simple quick repairs and fixes.

new units are very expensive purchases, don't rush through the delivery process.

the rv 'closing' is more like closing on a house than buying a car, but with more fun ahead than the other big purchases...

cheers
2air'

some folks make a video of the delivery process...

but then again some dads video tape child birth too.

i'm not sure either helps much when it's time to fix a leak!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
staying overnight

Thanks 2air, you are so helpful. I did read those other posts just today, and will look at the other posts in the buyer guidelines section.

I would love to stay overnight at the dealer, but #1, I do not think they provide that service, and #2, since I have to pick up on a Thursday, both my husband and I must take a day off work, and we cannot really take two days off right now, and #3, we have two large dogs and it would be hard to camp in a parking lot with them. The dealer is Colonial in NJ, and they are about 1 1/2 hours from home at the most, so it is not so very far if we have to go back. We travel to that area for dog shows in the spring, so we will be even closer then.

About winterizing, the salerperson said they will have it winterized before I get there, but I am not sure that I want that, as I will not be able to verify that all water systems work then. I am trading in a trailer, which I have already winterized, and they are going to put water in it to verify that everything works, so I think they should understand that I need to do the same thing with the new one.

Diane
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Colonial

In case your plans change, Colonial does have a couple of spots to stay all night and I remember there being at least a spot of grass for the dogs. When we arrived to pick up our AS, it was a very hot day, but Lauren and Pat had the AS ready. The ac was on. All the curtains were open, the stereo was playing nice music, all the lights were on, and everything was clean and ready to go. The propane tanks were full and we received a certificate for three nights at the AS park in NJ, that, by the way, was very much enjoyed and appreciated. Lauren did our walk thru, and knew everything. (Listen closely when she explains the speaker system and getting the tv to come thru.) When we left, they invited us to call with any questions.

Enjoy you new AS, and don't worry about the pick-up process. Colonial will do it right.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks for that information Pat, Lauren is our salerperson, and she is really very nice and very knowledgeable. It is good to hear that you had such a good experience with them.

Diane
Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
...About winterizing...
i agree with your conclusions about wanting to run the water, even IF they checked it out beforehand.

request that they install a bypass kit at the pump so you can quickly and easily run antifreeze again.

also you need the opportunity to turn off/on the waterheater bypass valves, drain the water heater and operate other water disconnects.

it's nice that u r so close to a dealer when it's needed.

don't forget the baby pictures!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I know we initially picked up our trailer just a couple of days before Thanksgiving. I didn't say anything to the dealer and because we had traded in an Airstream, I assumed that the dealer would give us a walk through and that would be it. Was I surprised when we got there found the heat was on and the trailer was set up for an overnight. Since I hadn't planned on that and didn't bring any overnight things, we did the walk through and took the trailer home. The dealer winterized it for us just before we left. As it ended up, other than the infamous Airstream factory installed shower leak, all was well.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
We are scheduled to get our new SilverLining next Thursday! I was hoping to be able to pick it up on a weekend to avoid both of having to take a day off work, but since we are getting a Hensley Hitch, they said the Hensley person is not there on the weekends.

Now I am really getting anxious. Does anyone know if there is any checklist posted on this list for items to look for when picking up the AS. Our salesperson seems very knowledgable, so I am in good hands.

Diane
Congrats Diane!! Now everything will start moving quickly. Having just gone through this I will give you one piece of advise. Go slow. Don't let them rush you through the demo. And don't worry, anything you miss or forget you can call them back or just ask here!! Have a great time and post pics right away.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks all,
I have been emailing with our salesperson, and she said the unit will come in to them winterized, but their service department will dewinterize, test the systems, and then winterize again. She said we can decide when we come in if we want them to dewinterize again so that we can test the systems. It seems silly to do it twice, so I will request that they wait until the day of pickup to dewinterize, and test, and then rewinterize, even if that means we have to be there longer, if they find issues they need to correct. We are taking the day off work, so as long as I get out of there before 3:30 or so to avoid rush hour traffic, it will be fine.

I feel a bit like I am being a pain in the neck, but this is BIG DEAL, and I want to make sure everything is good before we drive it home.

I must say our salerperson, Lauren, has been great to work with.

Diane
Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Diane,

You're not a pain in the neck, you're a smart shopper.

Just got back to an internet connection, but I think I saw you are picking it up tomorrow. Congratulations in advance.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Diane,

You're not a pain in the neck, you're a smart shopper.

Just got back to an internet connection, but I think I saw you are picking it up tomorrow. Congratulations in advance.

Gene
Thanks Gene, it is next Thursday that we are picking it up. It will be a long week.

Diane
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
It will be a long week! I too, thought it was today.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
It's at the dealer

Just heard from the dealer, and my AS is there! We had already made the apointment to pick it up next Thursday, but I am going to go there on Saturday to take a look!

We are getting several tons of gravel delivered this afternoon, to extend the pad where we will keep the trailer (our current trailer is a few feet shorter).

They said they could possible change the pickup date to Monday, but I think we will just leave it at Thursday. I am anxious, but my husband wants to be sure he has enough time to move all the gravel, and get the site ready, and the forecast is for rain all day Sunday, which could impact his schedule.

Diane
Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Diane,

After he rakes the gravel, have a drink and ibuprofen ready followed by an appointment with a masseuse. Otherwise, he may be unable to help break in the Safari.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Our Unit is in - 27 Safari SE FB

Just received a call from our dealer that our A/S is in as well. We won't get to see it until the 10th of December, so Bernermom will beat us to it!!! We're in MN and the unit will be delivered in MO. Dealer said that everything we ordered ( ultraleather couch and dinette; the old style plank floor throughout the unit - no carpet; puck lights over sink and dinette
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
bombay 1.75 ,
Great, I wish I had known that I could have asked for the old style plank flooring. I like that much better than the 08 floor.

I am driving up to the dealer tommorrow to take a look at the SilverLining, and we will pick her up on Thursday!

So exciting!