Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It’s a good question, and I know that some vehicle manufacturers do not recommend using a WDH for that reason. It reminds me a bit of the debate about airbags on the rear axle interfering with WDH functionality. .

There are lots of variables in play when towing. Are we over analyzing it? Are we under analyzing it? Is it all just chit chat while sipping a nice tequila by the campfire? I currently fall into that last category.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Clermont , Florida
Nice commercial Mr. Ford!

You seem confident in your summation however, 500 miles isn’t enough distance to decide if you should dump your gray tank much less opine about Weight Distribution Hitches.

I find your original post a bit premature and somewhat uninformed. However, you own the truck and the Airstream already - don’t close the door on the possibility of getting a Blue Ox or another brand’s product.

Besides, I just read that Airstream has partnered with Blue Ox (it’s in The Rivet, the Official Newsletter of Airstream, Volume 13 Issue 7, dated July 2, 2022) and is offering two products exclusively.
13013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave10a View Post
I am new to this forum and I guess I did step "into it" Sorry about that. I thought it appropriate to share an experience. I did not realize that opinions could be so strong on this matter. ...

Ah, I was the guy who asked what the point of this thread was. Most, if not all, threads start off with a question about something. Some people are looking for advice regarding finding parts, getting new tires, selecting hitches, washing your trailer, fixing stuff that typically breaks and so on.

You simply made a statement, one that is shared by a good number of members by the way, and that was it. I am pulling my trailer with a big heavy truck and I don't believe in any WD or SC hitch simply because I am experienced and know that I don't need one. That was it....

While many share your beliefs, not everyone here does. It should not surprise you to hear the "other side" of the story. Yes, we are opinionated, some more than others. Don't ask me about running with your fridge operating. To each his own. Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels. Now, ask us about where the good places are, or how to avoid big city traffic, or places to find nice shady campsites.
aftermath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
This is how this goes……
1- some people have spent big money on hitches and sway control devices, and will defend them until their last dying breath, even going as far as to call you wreckless if you don’t use them……

2- then you have a group that want to use tiny vehicles to tow big trailers, and they truly do need weight distribution and sway control devices, or their camper absolutely will slam them into whatever is in front of them…
Obviously this group will defend them, but for them, they are dire necessities.

3- then you have the group, that use large heavy tow vehicles, and can just drop it right on the ball and go, and never have a worry, because their big heavy tow vehicle is capable of controlling their camper easily…..and this group is baffled by all the paraphernalia these folks with tiny vehicles come up with, to safely tow their campers…….

But you have found what the rest of us that tow with large tow vehicles have found…….it is just so easy to tow with a big heavy vehicle, and it is super safe.
……..but the tiny vehicle folks will not be silenced! No! They must be heard!!!!!! They will never give up!!!!!!

Welcome to the fray……
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #65
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Good analysis.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I don’t think I fall into any of those groups. I think the analysis is good, but it overlooks the people who have a reasonable tow vehicle but like the added safety of a weight distribution hitch with sway control. This group probably includes most half ton truck owners who are towing appropriately sized trailers. If someone is towing a massive trailer with a half ton truck, then they fall into category 1 or 2.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 07-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Trailer sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I don’t think I fall into any of those groups. I think the analysis is good, but it overlooks the people who have a reasonable tow vehicle but like the added safety of a weight distribution hitch with sway control. This group probably includes most half ton truck owners who are towing appropriately sized trailers. If someone is towing a massive trailer with a half ton truck, then they fall into category 1 or 2.

I was totally wondering while reading that: what category would folks with that view put me in? Towing a 23-foot, sub 6000-lb Flying Cloud with a 1/2 ton pickup, where the Ford manual says that a WDH is required to tow trailers over 5000-lbs / 500-lb tongue, and here I am just following the manufacturers (and my dealer's) recommendation. Am I just trying to push it with a too small truck for my rig? (That bigger is better crowd is equally loud and wants to be heard.) Am I just a drone following the manufacturer's flawed recommendations? :shrug:
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
East Hampton , Connecticut
I don't think I am a groupie and strive for what is best for me. I have determind that a WD/sway hitch is not needed for my rig. This thread has been fun. Nuf said and I wish everyone to have a good day and enjoy your travels.
dave10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
www.fleet.ford.com (2019 RV &Trailer Towing Guide Ford)

My 2019 Super Duty Owner's Manual has a lot of towing a trailer information. The 2019 Diesel is another booklet, among other supplements.

Trailer... a flat bed towing a boat, or construction equipment weight limitations.
RV's are not included in the Manual. You are asked: "You can also find information in the RV & Trailer Towing Guide, available at your authorized dealer, or online".

Tow More. Haul More. Do More!
The 2019 F-Series have the most advanced powertrain lineup ever, so it’s no surprise that F-150’s best-in-class torque and capability features come right along with it. You want best-in-class payload? You got it ... up to 3,270 lbs. How about best-in-class towing? Try up to 13,200 lbs. for size. And that’s just the beginning. F-Series Super Duty® Pickups and Chassis Cabs also offer outstanding towing capability and efficiency for the toughest jobs out there.
F-Series are America’s best selling trucks with decades of RV and towing experience in every configuration!

Towing Capacity Charts: as related searches.

There is a paragraph or two on SWAY... if you have the model with the Sway Control.

Eight pages of PDF's and... stuff covering various models and years?

Then: GCW = GVW + Travel Trailer (Gross Combined Weight must never exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating)

Consult an authorized dealer (or the RV ad Trailer Towing Guide available at an authorized dealer for more detailed information).

"Do not use replacement tires with lower load carrying capacities... Replacement tires with a higher limit that the original tires do not increase GVWR and GAWR limitations."

Exceeding any vehicle weight rating limitation could result in serious damage to the vehicle and/or personal injury.

Steps for determining the correct load limit: is also interesting.

I plan to go to a Ford Dealer and get a copy of this "RV and Towing Guide".

This ought to be a very interesting 'guide'. I may have an Attorney to assist me in understanding the who, what if, what is this, who done it... what?
Old 07-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I plan to go to a Ford Dealer and get a copy of this "RV and Towing Guide".

You can download them (just search for Ford Towing Guides, Ford has a page with guides by year). Though I’ve discovered the dealer does have access to more updated versions than are publicly available.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I towed a little over 400 miles today on I-80 west from Des Moines. I was thinking about this thread as I observed a few things. First of all, I saw dozens upon dozens of trailer delivery service vehicles hauling new SOB trailers west. The haulers were all using heavy duty pickups, and some of the trailers were quite large. Every single trailer was being towed on the ball, with no sign of weight distribution or sway control. They were generally traveling in excess of 70 mph. So there’s some food for thought.

My other observation was a sway incident that I thought would end in a crash directly in front of us. We were passed by a Toyota Highlander that was traveling well in excess of 70 mph. It had a canoe strapped to the roof. It was towing a 17’ SOB trailer on the ball, with no weight distribution or sway control. It looked to be heavily loaded and the rear end was sagging considerably, pushing the front end up quite a bit. It began to sway going around a curve in the interstate heading into Omaha. There was a rough patch in the road, and at one point the sway was so bad that the wheels of the trailer left the ground. How the driver saved it is beyond me. Did he slow down? Nope…

Not sure I really have a point here, these were just observations. I suppose the point might be to reinforce the fact that every rig is different and each one needs to be considered individually. Did the haulers need WDH? I don’t think so. Did the idiot in the Highlander? Most definitely. And it wasn’t a big, heavy trailer.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 07-07-2022, 06:14 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
This is how this goes……
1- some people have spent big money on hitches and sway control devices, and will defend them until their last dying breath, even going as far as to call you wreckless if you don’t use them……

2- then you have a group that want to use tiny vehicles to tow big trailers, and they truly do need weight distribution and sway control devices, or their camper absolutely will slam them into whatever is in front of them…
Obviously this group will defend them, but for them, they are dire necessities.

3- then you have the group, that use large heavy tow vehicles, and can just drop it right on the ball and go, and never have a worry, because their big heavy tow vehicle is capable of controlling their camper easily…..and this group is baffled by all the paraphernalia these folks with tiny vehicles come up with, to safely tow their campers…….

But you have found what the rest of us that tow with large tow vehicles have found…….it is just so easy to tow with a big heavy vehicle, and it is super safe.
……..but the tiny vehicle folks will not be silenced! No! They must be heard!!!!!! They will never give up!!!!!!

Welcome to the fray……
You are right on when it comes to WD hitches. But sway can happen regardless of the tow vehicle. It is purely a function of the trailer speed and loading. The trailer "sways" like a pendulum around the pivot point of the tow ball. It doesn't matter what tow vehicle you have, the ball is the same.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:11 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I suppose a person can overtighted the sway bars where it can effect your ability to turn. But you'd have to get stupid tight to do that, and it's not needed for them to be that tight. They are just a adjustable lineal brake that, for me, is used just to take the "slop" out of the system. I've never felt that I couldn't turn when I needed to. As your truck ages, before leaving out on any trips, have your front end inspected. Or do it yourself, having someone turning the steering wheel slowly back and forth, while you lay under the truck, looking for play in ball joints, tie rods ends, track bars, sway control joints and steering box play. The "death wobble" is a real issue on Fords and Dodges. I have less knowledge of Chevy front ends, but I imagine it's the same.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My understanding is that GM heavy duty trucks utilize an independent front suspension and not a solid front axle like Ram and Ford, so the death wobble isn’t an issue for them.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 07-09-2022, 05:01 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I'm pretty sure they still have tie rod ends and track bars. Stuff that makes them go righty/lefty and wear out.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:38 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge12212 View Post
I'm pretty sure they still have tie rod ends and track bars. Stuff that makes them go righty/lefty and wear out.
Yeah, that's not what causes the "death wobble". If you read up on it you would find it is unique to certain front end designs, and can happen with pretty new vehicles....and after much component replacement. It is a harmonic that sets up under some road conditions and speeds.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:21 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Trailer sway

Isn’t this a Ford problem, have read that. I owned a Ford 250, 7.3 diesel and had problems with shaking in the front end, replaced many components including new tires and it was ok. No service advisor ever talked about any systematic problems.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...d-death-wobble
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Quote:
My understanding is that GM heavy duty trucks utilize an independent front suspension and not a solid front axle like Ram and Ford, so the death wobble isn’t an issue for them.
That is either hear-ay or market-speak, but not reality.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:16 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Isn’t this a Ford problem, have read that. I owned a Ford 250, 7.3 diesel and had problems with shaking in the front end, replaced many components including new tires and it was ok. No service advisor ever talked about any systematic problems.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/artic...d-death-wobble
That is called axel hop that occurs with rear and front solid axles. The solid front axle on 4X4 has two axles that can hop. That was very common for automobiles with solid rear axles when driving fast on dirt roads with "washboard" ruts. It was somewhat minimized when they positioned the axel forward from center.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Quote:
That is either hear-ay or market-speak, but not reality.