Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
East Hampton , Connecticut
I appreciate and thank everyone for the comments on my post. However, I don't see the need for either an equalizer or sway control for my rig at this time. I have driven many types of rigs over my lifetime and I believe I can make a good decision for me.
dave10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #22
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave10a View Post
I appreciate and thank everyone for the comments on my post. However, I don't see the need for either an equalizer or sway control for my rig at this time. I have driven many types of rigs over my lifetime and I believe I can make a good decision for me.
I get it that you're secure in your decision. Was it based on things like scale weights though or just a seat-of-the-pants type of judgement call?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I get it that you're secure in your decision. Was it based on things like scale weights though or just a seat-of-the-pants type of judgement call?
Yes, I did weigh the rig and everything as it should be. Airstream did a good job to make it travel well. I see no need to add anything and I am very happy with how it tows and the trailer in general, and it looks like I am not a group think kind of person. BTY I have been trailering all kinds of trailers for decades, from howitzers, horse trailers, hay wagons, 5th wheels, utility trailers, cargo trailers, boat trailers, and now this Airsteam. I have a reasnably good idea about towing charactoristics and I don't believe this set up needs any additional help from equalizers and anti-sway bars.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
And the point of this thread is....?

Lol… I’m still wondering the same thing.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #25
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Yes, I did weigh the rig and everything as it should be. Airstream did a good job to make it travel well. I see no need to add anything and I am very happy with how it tows and the trailer in general, and it looks like I am not a group think kind of person. BTY I have been trailering all kinds of trailers for decades, from howitzers, horse trailers, hay wagons, 5th wheels, utility trailers, cargo trailers, boat trailers, and now this Airsteam. I have a reasnably good idea about towing charactoristics and I don't believe this set up needs any additional help from equalizers and anti-sway bars.
Any chance you can share the numbers? We all know that Airstream trailers tow well, knowing how the tongue weight of a 28' trailer affects an F350 towing on the ball might be helpful for others. This is not about a 'group think' type of thing, just about sharing information.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Western , Maryland
My thoughts regarding a WDH —

It’s extra money, and extra effort to hook up.

But considering the catastrophic effects of even a minor wreck, it’s well worth it to me.

I understand an F350 with a modest sized travel trailer can get by without it, probably. But I’m highly risk averse when it comes to endangering myself and others on the highway.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dave: Y0U are 100% correct with YOUR Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Wow, a lot of opinions out there. My only intention was to point out my experience relying on my engineering/physics background.
I discovered that I did not need the Equalizer Hitch, using the 1000# bars towing with my F350 4x4 Diesel.

I also Towed on the Ball with the F350 the 25 foot International.

I tow the 27 foot Airstream On the Ball using the Equalizer Hitch, but need NO Sway Control or Weight Distribution. Cross Winds of Wyoming are a Hurricane in Florida... and when loaded... minimal effect.

I tow On the Ball my 2019 Oliver Elite II weighs empty 7,000#... easily. Perfectly, and it tracks almost exactly where the F350 tires go. No weight scales. No Sway. Sits just perfect.

There are Airforum Members who will Poo Poo on anything that they do not understand or agree. You are 100% knowing what your vehicle can handle and obviously have been towing On the Ball.

There are Repair Shops and Body Shops for... Expert's tow vehicles and trailers.

Experience is the BEST Experience.

Trailer Owners seem to be purchasing Hitches that they may not need, may be more than they need or feel good having hardware that is not needed. Maybe owning an expensive Hitch is Status, to someone. I like simple.

Start simple. If you have Sway. If you have a need for Weight Distribution. Do IT. But with a F250 or F350 Diesel 4x4... works just perfectly On the Ball. Just get out of my way when the Wyoming Cross Winds come howling. We are use to it.

A light, undersized tow vehicle... needs all this stuff for trailer too heavy for that vehicle.

Get a Tank to pull an Airstream... the Tank tames the Trailer. When we pass tow vehicles towing on the Interstate... we glance to see the 'set up'. Not all are properly adjusted. You can see it when the trailer is swaying or the front or rear is not sitting properly.

Don't give up. There are Neanderthals, like myself, that are reading this and agree with you. They just do not want to make waves. I like waves. Keep giving good advice.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #28
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
...Trailer Owners seem to be purchasing Hitches that they may not need, may be more than they need or feel good having hardware that is not needed. Maybe owning an expensive Hitch is Status, to someone. I like simple. ....
Which is why I'm asking instead of telling...

An F350 is a stout truck - no doubt. But there is still going to be an effect on the weight distribution of the truck when the tongue weight of the 28' trailer is dropped on the ball. My question is simply how much? If it's within acceptable numbers that doesn't require a WD hitch to offset, then great.

Rather than just stating that it's 'okay' and works well, I'm just asking to know what the numbers are after dropping the ball on the hitch. I know how much the weight on my hitch from my 25' trailer lightens my steer axle, and I'm trying to figure out how much better a 1-ton truck handles a similar load. Eventually I'm going to upgrade from my 1999 Suburban 2500 into something more modern, and perhaps a 1-ton is the ticket. Or perhaps it's more than I need. Hard to know without comparing numbers.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:34 PM   #29
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Quote:
I'm an old school guy who learned how to tow a trailer by the seat of my pants and have pulled several different kinds of trailers with a multitude of different loads mostly with F150s and F250's on the receiver or bumper ball. Some of these experts think that with the proper wd hitch you can pull a 30 footer with a VW and many set ups do call for one because most AS trailers aren't properly balanced and have way too much tongue weight. Lots of them try to match a TV with their AS by the numbers on the door stickers. Many of them are towing too large a trailer with too small of a TV and won't admit it. I dare say that you will be fine with your F350 set up and by your experience will soon know for sure. You'll soon recognize the names of the posters who know their stuff(like the three above me).
Old 06-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Photographs Towing Perfectly

Anyone who pilots a light aircraft understands towing, as well. Passengers understand and will or will not fly with this Pilot... if not understanding weight and capacity.

After floating the Colorado Float Trip beginning at Moab, Utah and ended at a sand bar with a dock nearby, we had a choice. Take the revamped School Bus or one of the two small aircraft back to Moab. Flight was 30 minutes or more, the school bus... hours, after loading the rafts and groovers and... whatever.

My wife and I chose the Flight return.

One float member from another group must have weighed over 300 pounds, maybe 350 pounds. The pilots were weighing passengers and dividing them up. This large person ended up on the other flight.... We would have taken the Bus, otherwise.

The pilot pointed to which seat you were to be placed.

This applies, also to being cautious about towing. Capacity of the Tow Vehicle. Weight of the Trailer to be towed and an idea of ALL the extra weight added as cargo, groover and all.

Just because you are not on a small aircraft that needs to weigh what is being added to the cargo... the trailer is a bit more forgiving. I am guilty... for adding a few things extra. Two western hats and two ball caps saying Wyoming and the other Cowboys. Go Pokes!

I drive a Tank. Photo provided. More Truck than I need? Maybe. I had money left over for a Wyoming Bronco Mud Flaps on my Tow Vehicle.

The currently owned 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel towed a 2014 25 foot International to the Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow, Wyoming very well as well. Oh... doesn't it look sweet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0154.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	418536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0519.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	418537  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4678.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	418539  
Old 06-28-2022, 08:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
It seems to me that this thread's total purpose is to say "I'm not going to use a WD hitch or sway control, and there's nothing you can do about it."
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:

Mother nature will make decisions for you, too.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Lincoln City , Oregon
Group think

During a career doing electrical/ mechanical service work, I towed many types of trailers all over the Pacific NW. The tow vehicles were generally 1ton trucks with service bodies and 1 ton vans, all loaded up with tools, oil, and antifreeze and anything else we might need. The trailers varied in size but were loaded with oil, antifreeze, cable and again, anything else we might need. We learned to load the heavy stuff to the front, a few thousand pounds of cable behind the traler tires can make for an exciting trip. Most guys learned to drive slowly, leave room and not be stupid, those who didn't went into sales careers. Now, after retirement, I find myself obsessing over tongue weight, weight distribution, payload, hitch types, etc. How did I ever survive without a Hensley, Propride, Equalizer.
Genboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Any chance you can share the numbers? We all know that Airstream trailers tow well, knowing how the tongue weight of a 28' trailer affects an F350 towing on the ball might be helpful for others. This is not about a 'group think' type of thing, just about sharing information.
I don’t have the CAT scale ticket with me, but as I remember the combined weight was over 15000lbs, the truck was over 8000 lbs, the hitch was calculated to be slightly over 1000lbs and the drive axle decreased approx 200lbs with the trailer connected with no noticable change in drive characteristics. The carrying capacity of this Ford truck is slightly over 4000lbs. The truck with a full fuel tank and me and loaded with an aux 12 gal fuel tank, a 4500watt inverter Westinghouse generator, and miscellaneous stuff. BTY I’m on the road and have traveled in a severe rain storm with no problems, and passing trucks don’t make me feel uncomfortable. At this point, I think it, I think a fancy hitch is a complete waste of money for my configuration.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just check your hitch tongue weight rating. On my truck it is 600# rating. The weight distribution hitch brings the 1000-1200 tongue weight back down to the 600# limit. And for sway I think the new technology with the Ford sway control strategy may very well eliminate the sway control hitch. On my Ford I can’t comment except in over 30,000 miles I haven’t experienced any sway of any kind with my fb27 classic and F250 and Ford sway control. Happy Streaming.
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I would rather spend the money on a quality hitch than burn up my brakes reactively controlling sway.
2019 Nissan Leaf SV+
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bellingham , Washington
Conditions

500 miles for a test is not enough. What were the weather conditions? On my recent cross-country 4,200 mile trip I was glad I had sway control (Blue Ox Sway Pro). Through W. Texas, NM, AZ the crosswinds were intense at times. I would not tow without, it is ultimately your decision and I hope it works for you.
kmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve never towed with a heavy duty pickup, so I can’t make an educated comment on whether sway control is needed or not for the OP. Like many here, I’ve towed many trailers of many types over the years. I agree with the comments above about the importance of experience. What I’ll stress in addition to that is the importance of experience with a specific rig. Every truck and every trailer are different.

I think people should setup their rig as best they can based on the numbers, get some experience, and adjust as necessary.

Personally, I like weight distribution and sway control on my rig. I tend to fall into the camp that feel that it’s better to have safety equipment to mitigate risk as opposed to assuming that I don’t need it. I’ve used the seat belt analogy before; seatbelts aren’t needed if you don’t crash. If you do crash though, you’ll want seatbelts! I don’t view a particular WDH as something to brag about. I also don’t view towing without one as something to brag about.

I think people should make their own decisions based on their rig, their experience, etc.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Trailer sway

removed by poster
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
I have been scolded on this site for towing on the ball w/o WDH or sway control when towing my 25 FC with a 2020 F250 Diesel 4x4. Although I have only towed about 8,000 mi with this setup I haven't had any sway issues.
As far as going to the scales to check your setup I can't help but wonder how these people carry any weight in their truck when not towing as it will take weight off the steer axle. Some will tell you that you need this or that and then admit that they have never towed w/o such gear so how would they know. Right tool for the task at hand. Rant over.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote