Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Pintle hitch for Basecamp?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, or if it would be better placed in the Basecamp section.

Anyway, I own a BC20X towed by a PowerWagon. Most of the off-road-focused trailers I cross-shopped with the BC use a pintle hitch and lunette ring rather than a ball coupler.

Has anyone either made this conversion, have thoughts on why it is a good idea or a bad idea, or just general thoughts on the actual off-road capabilities of the BC20X, I’d love to hear about it.

Most of the other trailers I looked at fell more into the small end of the spectrum: small T@Gs, off-road teardrops like Oregon Trail’r, and other off-road-focused options.

Obviously, we didn’t go with any of those options, and we love our Basecamp. The only concern we have is articulation. A pintle hitch has a significant advantage over a ball couple in terms of break-over but is also much noisier.

I understand that I’d have to physically modify the A-frame. I don’t use a WD hitch or any sway control and have never felt the need. The truck and trailer are very well matched. The only sway I’ve encountered was in a 50MPH cross-wind, and it was less sway and more a lateral push on my whole rig. So that lack doesn't bother me, though I know for a lot of folks that eliminates any consideration of going pintle.

Thoughts appreciated! For, against, experiences, all are welcome here.
dkmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
And of course, my phone helped me by correcting pintle to pintos in my title. Ugh…

Any chance an admin can fix me up?
Old 01-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcgrath View Post
And of course, my phone helped me by correcting pintle to pintos in my title. Ugh…

Done...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Done...
Thank you!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcgrath View Post

I had 2 Pinto’s as my first cars. Sort of brought back some nostalgia about the good old days!

As far as avoiding sway, if you keep the tongue weight up by loading the trailer to the front, that will make the sway less noticeable. Try to keep the tongue weight above 10% of the trailer weight and closer to 15% if possible.

Sounds like a big job to convert to a pintle, Have you considered the long term if you ever decide to sell the BC, you might have to switch the hitch back to a ball socket. Either way there is going to be some cutting and welding involved.

Is there a ball option that will give you similar performance on the market?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I had 2 Pinto’s as my first cars. Sort of brought back some nostalgia about the good old days!

Try to keep the tongue weight above 10% of the trailer weight and closer to 15%.
My tongue weight was 550# from a 4300# trailer, and that seems to work well for me.

Quote:
Is there a ball option that will give you similar performance on the market?
I haven't been able to find one. That doesn't mean they don't exist. That would be the ideal, if I'm honest.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Addendum: I did find the Gen-Y Glyder, which would allow some articulation in the vertical plane, but not as much as I’d like.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Have you looked into the Polyblock used on the Black Series campers?

bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel73 View Post
Have you looked into the Polyblock used on the Black Series campers?

Hi, I would not use this hitch, especially off road, without a locking connector pin.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
The articulation on the PolyBlock seems good. I also found the Lock-n-Roll or similar name when I was looking for a US source for just the hitch components on the PolyBlock. Don't really want to buy a whole trailer just for the coupler .
Old 01-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Check out lock and roll hitches

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Conversion is a possible? Here's a combo but fitment needs confirmation.

DEMCO 15795-52 channel mount and 09557-XX ring.
https://www.demco-products.com/trail...nents/couplers
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Imho

I have been in situations where I could have used a pintle hitch, but my biggest problem then was not the lack of a pintle hitch. It was that I shouldn’t have been there at all. My BCX just isn’t set up for extreme off roading. Very capable yes, able to get me deep in the tall weeds and out yes, but I don’t have the ground clearance and the break over angle at the hitch to make extreme off road towing a possibility.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolind View Post
I have been in situations where I could have used a pintle hitch, but my biggest problem then was not the lack of a pintle hitch. It was that I shouldn’t have been there at all. My BCX just isn’t set up for extreme off roading. Very capable yes, able to get me deep in the tall weeds and out yes, but I don’t have the ground clearance and the break over angle at the hitch to make extreme off road towing a possibility.
I want to emphasize this...

I've got a couple of old Land Rovers, and in what I call my previous lifetime I was in the infantry, military equipment uses pintles because we were, doing things in places that weren't for fun.

Yes, if you're offroading, a pintle is good in that, it's a simple ring w/ a pincher to hold the ring. Dragging a utility/ cargo trailer behind you while traversing ditches or roads w/ channels eroded into them, it lets you have some flexibility.

But you also have less control. The 'nice' thing about a hitch that drops onto a ball is that it maintains a good level of control. But, as you're well aware, that means you also need to be on some decent road. Not necessarily paved, but, groomed gravel roads are okay too. But no, you don't want to go having to cross-axle across a berm w/ a ball-hitched trailer in tow.

But I'll admit: even if my AS was a Basecamp, I would not want to inflict on it, any roads that require having to have a pintle over a ball. If I had to keep going deeper, I'd drop the idea of a trailer and go tent. I just don't want to do that to my trailer.

Just my two cents....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
I want to emphasize this...

I've got a couple of old Land Rovers, and in what I call my previous lifetime I was in the infantry, military equipment uses pintles because we were, doing things in places that weren't for fun.

Yes, if you're offroading, a pintle is good in that, it's a simple ring w/ a pincher to hold the ring. Dragging a utility/ cargo trailer behind you while traversing ditches or roads w/ channels eroded into them, it lets you have some flexibility.

But you also have less control. The 'nice' thing about a hitch that drops onto a ball is that it maintains a good level of control. But, as you're well aware, that means you also need to be on some decent road. Not necessarily paved, but, groomed gravel roads are okay too. But no, you don't want to go having to cross-axle across a berm w/ a ball-hitched trailer in tow.

But I'll admit: even if my AS was a Basecamp, I would not want to inflict on it, any roads that require having to have a pintle over a ball. If I had to keep going deeper, I'd drop the idea of a trailer and go tent. I just don't want to do that to my trailer.

Just my two cents....
Totally fair. There are a few spots along the pacific coast that we like to go. Very nice roads, except for a couple spots where I don’t think the break over of a ball will really do it.

I’ve actually been convinced by a few posts upthread with alternatives. Something articulating but solid is better than a pintle, I think. Or at least think now .
Old 01-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
The real question "I" think you need to answer is:

Is an Airstream Basecamp trailer built well enough to go the places that your tow vehicle is capable of going and YOU want to go that would make a "Pintle Hitch" or other type of modified hitch connection a needed addition to you Basecamp trailer?

I suggest that answer is NO!

An Airstream Basecamp trailer is nowhere near well enough constructed to go anywhere close to where a "Pintle Hitch" or other articulating would be of any value!

Find another trailer for that type of off-road (Overland) travel!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #17

2016 28' International
Fort Collins , Colorado
McHitch?

I was shopping the Black Series at an RV show and noticed they upgraded their hitches to a unique articulating hitch. https://www.mchitch.com.au/automatic-couplers

This might be an alternative for you. I don't know if there is a US distributor but the Australian site says they ship worldwide.
R ROGERS is offline   Reply With Quote