Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Davenport , Iowa
Basecamp Hitch Recommendations?

Hi all -- this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if it is redundant or somewhat trivial:-).

I will be getting a new Basecamp soon to be towed by my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock. My Airstream dealer is small, and I left feeling they were married to Blue Ox brand hitches. The Blue Ox Sway Pro model is what they recommended for the Basecamp for me. After reading this forum (and this is my first tow trailer ever), I'm not convinced this is the best hitch for the Basecamp.

I called Airstream and they wouldn't recommend one. I called LaZDays and they recommended an Equalizer rated at 10,000lbs.!!! I called Sutton in Oregon and they said too strong of a hitch could bend the Basecamp's frame, and they suggested the Center Line Husky lightweight. The limited "hitch info" in the Basecamp forums I've read has mentioned the Anderson weight distribution hitch a few times.

Anyway, all I know right now is that it needs to be a "weight distribution hitch". Here are some numbers in case they may help you recommend the best hitch to help me:-).

Basecamp hitchweight is 400lbs. Wrangler Unlimited receiver supports 350lbs hence need for weight distribution hitch. Basecamp unladen weight is 2,6xxlbs and laden is 3,500lbs. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and this very informative forum,

Rob
IAortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Hi Rob...

I won't speak for anyone but myself on your question, but it is possible that your question has yet gone unanswered because folks might be hesitant to chime in on a hitch suggestion because your Wrangler is right at the tow weight limit for a loaded Basecamp. I don't know the wheelbase of your Jeep, but shorter TV wheelbases add complexity to the equation.

Were I you, I would forgo soliciting advice from both forums and trailer dealers. On the first count, your best response would be from a Wrangler owner who has considerable miles towing a trailer similar in characteristics to the Basecamp. I'm guessing that you might be waiting some time for that person to wander by.

As for dealers recommendations for hitches, most are likely to only be knowledgable about what they sell and a suggestion to over equip is very possible. You might even run into a sales person whose limited knowledge about even those hitches they sell is difficult to discern.

Manufacturers of hitches are pretty much the only entities who have a broad range of opportunity to experiment with or otherwise learn from experiences of many different users of their products with a wide range of TV and trailer combinations. I have talked to technical staff for several of the major hitch players and have yet to come away with the sense that someone was talking over their head or otherwise farting and tap dancing about factors to consider when choosing an appropriate hitch for specific needs.

Good luck.

Bob
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Basecamp hitch recommendations?

Based on my experience towing a small Basecamp sized Airstream I am comfortable recommending either the Anderson or Blue Ox Sway Pro systems. I have used both. Personally I would lean toward the lighter and very effective Anderson for such a light weight trailer. You would not go wrong with either system. Also in my experience dealers recommend what they sell without really considering what is best or appropriate.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Rob! WD hitch questions from other new Basecamp owners are coming up in various threads [including the BC Fans thread], so I was wondering what hitch you ended up getting for your Wrangler?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAortho View Post
Hi all -- this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if it is redundant or somewhat trivial:-).

I will be getting a new Basecamp soon to be towed by my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock. My Airstream dealer is small, and I left feeling they were married to Blue Ox brand hitches. The Blue Ox Sway Pro model is what they recommended for the Basecamp for me. After reading this forum (and this is my first tow trailer ever), I'm not convinced this is the best hitch for the Basecamp.

I called Airstream and they wouldn't recommend one. I called LaZDays and they recommended an Equalizer rated at 10,000lbs.!!! I called Sutton in Oregon and they said too strong of a hitch could bend the Basecamp's frame, and they suggested the Center Line Husky lightweight. The limited "hitch info" in the Basecamp forums I've read has mentioned the Anderson weight distribution hitch a few times.

Anyway, all I know right now is that it needs to be a "weight distribution hitch". Here are some numbers in case they may help you recommend the best hitch to help me:-).

Basecamp hitchweight is 400lbs. Wrangler Unlimited receiver supports 350lbs hence need for weight distribution hitch. Basecamp unladen weight is 2,6xxlbs and laden is 3,500lbs. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and this very informative forum,

Rob
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I am curious as well. TV is a 2017 RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. I actually got the RAM to replace my 4 door Wrangler. I never liked towing with the wrangler. Even a utility trailer full of gravel was an "experience". I haven't picked up the BC yet. It's at the dealer so I just need to go get it. I'd like to go with the proper equipment.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
I used to own a FC19 and towed with Mercedes M-Class 350 Diesel. This combination worked perfectly with the Husky Centerline hitch system with weight distribution which was really required with the softer suspension on the Mercedes. A couple of important things to note about the Husky system (1) it's really heavy! It's designed to distribute weight and help with sway control - both of which it does excellently, and (3) did I mention it's really heavy?

The weight is becoming a bit of a concern for me as I get older; moving that system off and on is a bit of work. I do fear that as get get on in years, either (a) I'll just leave it on or (2) I'll end up buying a motorhome (not likely to happen) or (c) I'll just have to find some young stud-like person and pay them to set-up and dismantle when I want to go camping.

Final thought on Husky Centerline: Highly Recommended but HEAVY!
Just another thing to think about.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Davenport , Iowa
Well, I don't have any solid answers for folks since I haven't taken delivery of the Basecamp yet -- will do March 3. The two hitches I've gotten the best info on are for the Ea-Z-Lift 600 and the Equalizer 600. I'll try to read up on them tonight and see what, if any difference, there is between them -- weight, ease of use, control, etc. Excited to get this mobile fishing camper!
IAortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAortho View Post
Well, I don't have any solid answers for folks since I haven't taken delivery of the Basecamp yet -- will do March 3. The two hitches I've gotten the best info on are for the Ea-Z-Lift 600 and the Equalizer 600. I'll try to read up on them tonight and see what, if any difference, there is between them -- weight, ease of use, control, etc. Excited to get this mobile fishing camper!
I tow our 2300 lb 64 Bambi 2 with the #600 Equal-I-zer set very softly on our VW Touareg. So there's little equalization but good bounce and sway control.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
Towing..

Hello, I also have a 2016 Jeep unlimited 4x4, it has the standard factory hitch, nothing special at all. I just picked up my 2017 sport 16 bambi yesterday, towed it several hundred miles with zero issues, pulled great, smooth had some wind to deal with at the end but all was good. I took a hard look at the Base Camp before I bought the Bambi, you will have no problem pulling the Base camp with a standard factory hitch, call your Jeep dealer for prices.. Best of Luck! oh, and mine is a Rubicon, so we both have the upgraded trans cooler etc. from the factory
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Flagstaff , Arizona
I tow my Basecamp with a Toyota 4Runner and the Blue Ox Sway Pro. It is very solid on the road, even in the gusty winds we had in northern Arizona.
basecamp516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Issaquah , Washington
Standard Hitch

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and just use a standard hitch to tow our Basecamp - it works great. We also have a wireless brake assist, which is helpful for slowing the trailer down behind our rig. Have fun!
PNWRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
I tow with a Toyota Tacoma and use Blue Ox sway pro
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRich View Post
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and just use a standard hitch to tow our Basecamp - it works great. We also have a wireless brake assist, which is helpful for slowing the trailer down behind our rig. Have fun!
Do you mean you tow just on the ball mount and no WD or sway control. That must be a wireless brake controller, a necessity.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Do you mean you tow just on the ball mount and no WD or sway control. That must be a wireless brake controller, a necessity.
Yes, sir. We considered a sway bar but there is no room for one on the Basecamp - at least not the one we were looking at - and we were told that it would be overkill anyway. So just the wireless brake assist and it works great.
PNWRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
I was concerned that my Basecamp made the backend of my SUV sit down too low. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Land Cruiser, V8. My Airstream dealership did not encourage a weight distribution hitch. I got the wireless brake controller, which took up some of the room on the a-frame of the camper. I then saw a forum member's Blue-ox set up and that would work on mine. Not much room, the way the LP gas cover is designed. I took my vehicle and camper by for the service manager of a local (non-Airstream) camper place to look at. The service manager is a friend of mine and he and others in his service department looked at my set up and did not feel that I needed a weight distribution hitch. I've only pulled it a few time ... yep, like others, back to the dealership for leak issues, but it seems to pull fine. Understandably, there is more weight on the back end of my SUV when I have a full tank of gas, vs. half a tank.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote