Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #21

1971 25' Tradewind
Goldsboro , North Carolina
I didn't do it!

Thanks to all who replied to my post! I can't believe how active this forum is! First off I'd like to say that I ended up NOT towing the airstream. Hopefully within the next day or two I will have the brake controller hooked up to the truck and by the weekend the airstream will be sitting pretty in my yard. I really didn't want to pick it up without the brakes but the guy I'm buying it from said it shouldn't be an issue and a couple friends didn't think so either, but just in case I thought I'd ask the experts. I can't wait to actually have the airstream so I can ask you all more newbie questions. Thanks, Sam
againstfifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good choice Sam... You will be a lot happier with the brakes....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by againstfifte View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my post! I can't believe how active this forum is! First off I'd like to say that I ended up NOT towing the airstream. Hopefully within the next day or two I will have the brake controller hooked up to the truck and by the weekend the airstream will be sitting pretty in my yard. I really didn't want to pick it up without the brakes but the guy I'm buying it from said it shouldn't be an issue and a couple friends didn't think so either, but just in case I thought I'd ask the experts. I can't wait to actually have the airstream so I can ask you all more newbie questions. Thanks, Sam
Many of the Airstream sellers, neighbors and friends, usually offer friendly well meaning advice.

Unfortunately, most of the time they are wrong.

The seller saying "it shouldn't be an issue", is correct. Not for him, but for you, big time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to concur with those above me. U have made a wise decision GRASSHOPPER ! U didn't mention What Make of TV U have. If its a FORD ,U can go to your local Trailer dealer, U HAUL and purchase the controller, and they will install it for U, if the TV was ordered with a tow package ITS PLUG AND PLAY at least on a FORD. I have two and I installed both .
Don't find yourself In my situation where I never intended to bring our Airstream home the day I looked at it. But the seller and my wife had different ideas. I brought it home 100 miles with no Brakes. "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME" I have 45 yrs of OTR experience in Big Trucks and I have intentionally pulled trailers with NO brakes when there was no other choise. ITS NOT PRETTY and not for novices.
I say DON'T DO IT. EVER!
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Excellent

Now we all know for sure that we will be seeing some pic's of that "new" Airstream.....ASAP

Tags
airstream, brakes, safety