Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Aurora , North Carolina
Question on Towing???

I would like to know if anyone is towing a 30' S/O Classic with a 2007 Toyota Tundra w/5.7 engine; 381 HP, 401 FP torque. I am considering this but would like input from someone who is towing.
World Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi world travel and welcome to the forums!

there are a few folks towing 30/slide units here...

most are using true 3/4 ton tow vehicles....

the tundra has a payload rating of approximately 1500-1600 lbs right?

well the tongue mass on a 30 slide is one of the heaviest made....

and will EAT ALL of the available payload IF anyone or anything is IN the tundra.

yes the tundra has great brakes and a nice engine, but it is NOT a 3/4 ton unit...

the rated towing capacity is too close 4 me, but the payload issue is a real deal breaker.

towing a 30/slide with any 1/2 ton horse is gonna be an issue.

my 34/without slide isn't much heavier than a 30/with, and i'm happy to use a 3/4 ton diesel truck.

cheers
2air'

jcanavera http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...navera-56.html has the most posts and info related to towing a 30/slide unit...so search a bit and read.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I tow with a 5.7 Tundra and think it is a great truck. It's got a powerful motor and great brakes, but it is still a 1/2 ton truck. The classics with SO have a bunch of hitch weight (1K+) add to that the weight of propane, water and other stuff you will be pushing the limits of the truck. With an empty trailer and no payload in the truck you might squeak in under the limits, but is that how you want to travel?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I concur with the others. You would be at the towing limits of the Tundra. This combo would not be within my comfort zone, but others are not as particular as I am. A 30 SO has a super hefty tongue weight which would not leave a lot of cargo capacity for the truck bed.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome...

Very capable truck......but.

Too close for comfort, I think most would agree, you really need that

payload capacity.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi

I might be able to offer some assistance here as we have set up a few Tundra's. Do you already own the Tundra? If so what box and Cab does it have.

Andy
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Aurora , North Carolina
Andy, thanks for your reply. Yes, I own the Tundra, but not a trailer yet. Am interested in 30' with slideout. The Tundra is 2007 double cab (not the max work cab) w/ 5.7 engine, 6 ft. box with towing package. I will be interested in your take on this. Reply to maxinecharles@embarqmail.com.
World Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Travel
I would like to know if anyone is towing a 30' S/O Classic with a 2007 Toyota Tundra w/5.7 engine; 381 HP, 401 FP torque. I am considering this but would like input from someone who is towing.
This is going to be a problem.
Your 30 Slideout is heavier than my 31 Classic. I tow my 31 Classic with a F-250 Diesel. I towed it with a F-250 Gas. That was ok but the truck was under constant load. Flat and level the diesel is just humming along.

The wheel base is ok but the power was just not there.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Travel
Andy, thanks for your reply. Yes, I own the Tundra, but not a trailer yet. Am interested in 30' with slideout. The Tundra is 2007 double cab (not the max work cab) w/ 5.7 engine, 6 ft. box with towing package. I will be interested in your take on this. Reply to maxinecharles@embarqmail.com.

If Andrew T can't offer any assistance then I would say no one can...
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I tow with a 5.7 Tundra and think it is a great truck. It's got a powerful motor and great brakes, but it is still a 1/2 ton truck. The classics with SO have a bunch of hitch weight (1K+) add to that the weight of propane, water and other stuff you will be pushing the limits of the truck. With an empty trailer and no payload in the truck you might squeak in under the limits, but is that how you want to travel?
DiTTO

Been there, Done that !

Name:   econ_thinking.gif
Views: 566
Size:  1.3 KB

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Towing a 30'w/so

I have a 2004 30'w/so and this is a heavy trailer when you get it ready to go camping. I had a 1994 F250 gas (460) when I bought the trailer. It did ok but would really labor in the Mtns. I now have a 2006 F250 with the 6.0 diesel what a difference. It handles any situation with ease.. You defiinitely need a 3/4 ton truck and the diesel to make your towing enjoyable!!
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
As others have said, you will be at the limit on tongue weight/pay load and IMO, you will be at the limits with towing horsepower. The consensus here on the forums is not to exceed 80% of your TV's towing capacity. Does a 30' Classic S/O do this?

I'm no expert by any means, but my personal $.02 is that in the Safari line, 25' is the border line for 1/2 ton tow vehicles and in the Classic line, well, they are heavier at all lengths and I personally wouldn't consider a 1/2 ton to be a comfortable towing vehicle for anything in the Classic line. That's my opinion and isn't gospel among anyone else on this forum.

Since you already have the Tundra (a great truck BTW), my recommendation is this: if you are close on the 80% and close on the payload and really want the 30' Classic S/O, get it if YOU are comfortable with the numbers realizing that you will trade tow vehicles long before you trade Classic travel trailers. The 30' is a good compromise size as far as not too long to handle for the novice and not too small for a couple or even family. The slide out will make it feel larger so you won't feel like you should have got the larger one and want to trade up in a year or two. With tow vehicles on the other hand, you will want to trade up in a year or two.

However, if you plan on using the trailer really often, or plan on frequent trips in the mountains, or plan on full timing, you might as well bight the bullet and go for broke and get a nice 3/4 ton tow vehicle and 30' Classic at the same time...you'll be glad you did.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
World Traveler,

Inquiring prior to purchasing your Airstream will save you inumerable headaches for sure. I tow our '04, thirty foot slide out with a 3/4 ton, 4X4, Duramax, crew and can assure you that it's most likely too much truck for the trailer. A 3/4 ton, gas, crew would suffice. The wheelbase rule of thumb for the trailer length would be perfect, the suspension not quite so hard on the Airstream and I'd have ample power. Having said all that, I wouldn't trade down because pulling the hills would be a bear unless I had a 411 rear end and a huge fuel tank. As is, I hardly know our Airstream is back there. Did I mention the Hensley hitch?

My opinion mirrors most of the others here. You won't feel comfy, safe or happy pulling the 30'SO with your truck which is a fine vehicle for most other activities.

Good luck with your research and impending purchase.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Dependent upon the year the trailer, the hitch weight is large. My slide out is around 1,200 lbs or so. I had to upgrade my GM factory hitch to a class V to carry that load. I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton GMC van, 6.0 liter V8 with a 4.10 rear axle. The big difference between the 3/4 vehicle and 1/2 is frame, brake, and wheel related. I can tell you when the road gets rough and you start dealing with the undulations of the road, that 3/4 ton chasis and components make the difference. I've pulled with a 1/2 van with a 27' Safari and it's amazing the difference in suspension and handling.

My towing capacity of the van is 9,900 lbs. and I can't imagine towing with anything smaller. Keep in mind that the 30' Slide is the heaviest trailer that Airstream makes on a tandem axle. My estimate is that without water and normal camping load of food and clothing, I'm pulling between 8,200 and 8,300 lbs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
I also pull our 2004 s/o with an 06 3/4 ton duramax crew 4x4, and it's a wonderful combination. It handles the massive tongue weight well, and we're talking 1,300 - 1,400 lbs with a hensley, propane, and spare tire. I also put a class 5 hitch on to handle the weight. GVWR on our AS is 9100lbs, the class 5 is 1,400 tongue weight with WD, and 14,000 with WD. To us it's all worth it because we just love the slide out. I have towed the 30 slideout with my wife's 6.0 litre Yukon and it did alright in flat S. Fla., but I don't think I'd want that combo in the mountains. What ever you decide, above all be safe,and good luck with your new adventure. -Mark
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Terrace , British Columbia
Hi everyone - we are thinking of buying a 16' Bambi and are wondering if 2007/2008 V6 Rav4 (Toyota) can tow it safely and without too much wear and tear on the suspension - we have been told by a Toyota dealership that the "tongue weight" of the Bambi will make it unsafe for a Rav4 and the two axle set up may cause problems in case of a blow out..any suggestions? Thanks.
deleeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleeuw
Hi everyone - we are thinking of buying a 16' Bambi and are wondering if 2007/2008 V6 Rav4 (Toyota) can tow it safely and without too much wear and tear on the suspension - we have been told by a Toyota dealership that the "tongue weight" of the Bambi will make it unsafe for a Rav4 and the two axle set up may cause problems in case of a blow out..any suggestions? Thanks.
Welcome to the forums deleeuw! You have come to the right place to get answers to your questions...now, I'm going to defer to your Toyota dealer.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello deleeuw -- Welcome to AIR Forums!

Automotive dealerships are frequently short on real world knowledge about towing. One could question motivations when they are often optimistic about towing combinations. So I would say it is a valid point when a dealership tells you, "Don't do it." A good friend of mine has a V-6 Toyota Highlander and he says it handles his large popup camper with very little to spare. This friend is looking at an RV trailer and will definitely upsize his tow vehicle to do that. I'd definitely say a Rav4 is a non-starter.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
As others have said, you will be at the limit on tongue weight/pay load and IMO, you will be at the limits with towing horsepower. The consensus here on the forums is not to exceed 80% of your TV's towing capacity. Does a 30' Classic S/O do this?

I'm no expert by any means, but my personal $.02 is that in the Safari line, 25' is the border line for 1/2 ton tow vehicles and in the Classic line, well, they are heavier at all lengths and I personally wouldn't consider a 1/2 ton to be a comfortable towing vehicle for anything in the Classic line. That's my opinion and isn't gospel among anyone else on this forum.

Since you already have the Tundra (a great truck BTW), my recommendation is this: if you are close on the 80% and close on the payload and really want the 30' Classic S/O, get it if YOU are comfortable with the numbers realizing that you will trade tow vehicles long before you trade Classic travel trailers. The 30' is a good compromise size as far as not too long to handle for the novice and not too small for a couple or even family. The slide out will make it feel larger so you won't feel like you should have got the larger one and want to trade up in a year or two. With tow vehicles on the other hand, you will want to trade up in a year or two.

However, if you plan on using the trailer really often, or plan on frequent trips in the mountains, or plan on full timing, you might as well bight the bullet and go for broke and get a nice 3/4 ton tow vehicle and 30' Classic at the same time...you'll be glad you did.

Well, I would very much challenge this one. The 28 safari comes in at 5800lbs dy, and our 2008 f150 set up properly has proved in over 8k of towing to be very capable indeed. Now a slide out model is another story. Still, the boys frm Canada may very well solve this one.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
... Still, the boys frm Canada may very well solve this one.
20 years ago there were shops in the lower 48 doing these things....

i recall 2 just north of seattle, one of which put receivers on my sports cars...

but there are NONE doing this 'over the limits' set ups now, it's a liability issue.

so the 'solution' isn't complicated...

1. reinforce the class 4 receiver (there are no class 5s that are a direct fit on the tundra)
2. use a hensley
3. swap out tire/wheel packages IF the tundra doesn't have the optional big wheels.
4. and promise never to tow over 55-60 mph.

so while it's technically possible to drag a 30 slide it still is basically a STUPID and expensive notion.

the truck axles aren't rated for the load,
the truck frame isn't rated for the load...
the truck suspension isn't rated for the load...

and the 'official payload' number will NOT be changed.

so spend 5-6 THOUSAND dollars to make the turndra marginally capable...

and void the truck warranty, while increasing personal liability many times over....

have an accident and insurance WILL cover the vehicle (insurance does cover stupidiity) damage

but INJURE ANOTHER PARTY and no insurance will cover this negligent behavior.

the o.p. asked input from those towing a 30 slide, using a tundra...

he/she has received answers from folks using that truck and towing that trailer...

but NO ONE using that combo.

now maybe a-t will give the o.p. the contact info for folks towing with this combo.

but really why use the tundra at all...

just buy a used dodge interped and have them set that up for ya.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote