Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #381
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
If you own a 2019 Silverado / Sierra please refer to my "Side-View Mirror" thread HERE.

Thanks
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I wouldn't buy a 2019 NHT Max Trailering Pkg. truck until after the true trailering mirrors are offered from the factory (see this post).

Note: the 10 speed transmission has been a joint engineering venture between Ford and GM over the past several years. The eight speed transmission is an excellent tranny, but it has been slated to be phased out since GM/Ford planned the ten speed to reduce costs. This will benefit transmission rebuilders and consumers for years to come.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #383
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I purchased my 2018 GMC Sierra SLT with 6.2L and MTP 1 year ago after finding and reading this thread. My local dealer wanted me to order one and would not help me search other dealers to trade which meant missing out on the year end deals.

I used the GMC website vehicle search feature for weeks using fake zip codes trying to find one anywhere to no avail. I finally started using the chat feature and eventually called GMC direct to get help and they found 3 configured exactly the way I wanted in my limited color choices. I ended up choosing the one that had been special ordered but the ordering individual never returned the dealers calls to let him know his truck was in. We drove 452 miles to pick it up and 477 miles to bring it home. Based on my experience, the 1/2 ton with 6.2L and MTP configuration is rare. As empty nesters, we never come close to the maximum payload or towing capacity when we take our 2018 27FBQ FC on a trip and our truck has never struggled pulling our AS up an incline in the 19 states it has visited this past year.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #384
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am told by the dealer where I found mine, that the 6.2L MaxTow is popular with the horse community....so search those areas first. Kinda makes sense.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #385
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Laura GMC near St. Louis has a bunch of the 1500 with the 6.2 and max tow option. Last I looked, it was over a 100 of the 2018 models, and they had really good deals on them. I drove the 450 miles to purchase mine there. Not many in the Atlanta area. Just my opinion, Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #386
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am told by the dealer where I found mine, that the 6.2L MaxTow is popular with the horse community....so search those areas first. Kinda makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
Laura GMC near St. Louis has a bunch of the 1500 with the 6.2 and max tow option. Last I looked, it was over a 100 of the 2018 models, and they had really good deals on them. I drove the 450 miles to purchase mine there. Not many in the Atlanta area. Just my opinion, Mike
I'll give some consideration to the dealers near horse farms/ranches.

Regarding Laura GMC... I forgot about them. I contacted them a year or so ago but wasn't prepared to buy at the time. I spoke to one of the internet sales team today and they sold the last 2018 6.2, MTP a month or more ago. Yes, they have some 2019 models on the lot but they have way more options than I want. They typically stock trucks in the $60-65k range and with discounts, etc. that brings them down to $55-60k. Still too pricey for me and those models don't have the 40/20/40 front seat that I'd like to have.

The internet guy at Laura GMC asked me to "build" a truck online then send him a link for my particular vehicle. I'll post information here when he gets back to me.

On a related note - I did locate a 2018 as well as a 2019 at two separate dealers that suit my needs. In this case they were Chevrolet models - the LTZ, 6.2L, MTP, interior and exterior color preferences, etc. In both cases the dealers were not willing to provide a price in writing up front. I'm not talking about the typical incentives as those change based on zip code and current offers. I'm talking about whether they were going to discount the vehicle from MSRP. The told me prices on the phone but wouldn't go as far as providing a "write up" regarding any extra fees, dealer add-ons and other "extras." I guess they want you to drive hundreds of miles, sit in a chair in front of them so they can then watch the buyer squirm as they "check with the manager."

Hopefully Laura GMC will be a better dealer to work with.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:51 AM   #387
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I remember someone had previously posted that the horse country dealers had a bunch of trucks in this configuration. Fortunately I did not have to go 950+ miles to find one.

I was shocked to only find one 2018 silver 6.2L SLT Sierra’s with the MTP in the Truck Capital of the US during my search last November/December. Funny thing is, the 2018 GMC Sierra brochure shows one of their trucks pulling an Airstream. I got the impression chatting with several dealers in the state that they wanted to sell you the 3/4 ton Denali diesel instead because there were 100’s of them around. I guess they were trying to live up to the “everything’s bigger in Texas” motto.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #388
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Just as a data point, I paid about $46k for my loaded SLT in 2015. About the only thing not on it is “intelligent” cruise control and navigation. We have now just completed our 3rd cross-country trip. Best 400 mile fuel economy is 14.1 mpg. I think this about what folks with 3/4 ton diesels report. Also notice that, in most places, the premium gas “recommended” for the 6.2 costs within a penny or two of diesel. I think the reason some prefer the 3/4 ton is that the extra 1,000-1,500 pounds weight of their truck makes them less conscious of the mass of their trailer. With my expensive ProPride hitch, I’ve never felt blown around by passing semis of the 30 mph crosswind we experienced driving through the Texas Panhandle. Interestingly, that knocked fuel consumption up by about 2-3 mpg @ 60 mph.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #389
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I contacted Laura GMC near St. Louis to inquire about ordering a 2019 1500 Sierra with the 6.2L and max trailering package. They will order anything you want. The internet sales team was very easy to contact and they were responsive by telephone and email. Typical delivery time is 4 - 6 weeks. The will inform you of the Laura GMC discount up front and then the GM incentives will be applied at time of delivery as those change monthly.

The Laura GMC discount for the vehicle I am considering was ~10% so with typical GM incentives at time of delivery the total discount could be in the "teens" and approaching 20%. I realize that's speculation on my part.

I recently joined Costco for a variety of reasons but one of them is... it's not uncommon for GM to offer an additional $500 discount/incentive to Costco members. The amount may also vary by level of Costco membership - gold, business, executive, etc. We'll see if this helps out when I finally take time or order a truck.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #390
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
We've put a deposit down on a 2018 Sierra 1500 SLT, crew cab, 4X4, short bed, 6.2L with Max Trailering. We'll be picking it up in about a week. I hope it serves us well for many years. We plan to put a "camper shell" on it to keep our camping/travel gear out of the weather. I'll post information regarding MPG and first impressions.

Thanks to DC Bruce for starting this thread and to others who have contributed over time.

FYI - Costco and GM loosened up the rules regarding Costco membership dates and eligibility. We were able to qualify for the $500 discount for Costco members.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #391
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We've put a deposit down on a 2018 Sierra 1500 SLT, crew cab, 4X4, short bed, 6.2L with Max Trailering. We'll be picking it up in about a week. I hope it serves us well for many years. We plan to put a "camper shell" on it to keep our camping/travel gear out of the weather. I'll post information regarding MPG and first impressions.

Thanks to DC Bruce for starting this thread and to others who have contributed over time.

FYI - Costco and GM loosened up the rules regarding Costco membership dates and eligibility. We were able to qualify for the $500 discount for Costco members.
Lucius & Danielle,
You've made a good choice. I think that you'll love the truck and I will do a great job with your Airstream. Post pictures once you take delivery!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Don’t forget the up to 10k in rebates going on right now.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #393
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Lucius & Danielle,
You've made a good choice. I think that you'll love the truck and I will do a great job with your Airstream. Post pictures once you take delivery!

Happy New Year!
We're looking forward to this new vehicle. We'll be selling our 2005 K2500 Suburban, 8.1L in a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Don’t forget the up to 10k in rebates going on right now.
Leading up to Black Friday I was lured in by the incentives... only to find many of the incentives don't apply to me/us. In the end, with the dealer discount and the incentives that do apply, we're getting 18% off MSRP and the dealer is not adding any "packages" such as paint protection or fabric guard. In addition, they have a very modest $149 documentation fee and $14 title fee.

We'll post pictures next week.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:19 AM   #394
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
OP here: Just completed our second cross-country and back lap on December 23. Now, about 82,000 miles on the truck. Engine is fine: towing fuel economy ranges between 11 and about 13.4 mpg pulling our FC 27 at 60 mph. Oil consumption still normal (i.e. Zero between changes). Interestingly, what really kills gas mileage is a good strong headwind or even crosswind, by as much as 2 mpg. If there’s one weak spot it’s the 8-speed transmission which has an overly aggressive torque converter lock-up. Sometimes will lock up so hard when towing, just after you get moving that it feels like there’s slack in the hitch. Fortunately, GM has ditched that transmission in favor of the 10-speed, so new buyers shouldn’t be concerned. If I were buying this truck used, I would be a bit concerned about long term durability of the transmission. It works fine 90 percent of the time, but displays this odd lock up behavior randomly the rest of the time, even when not towing.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #395
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Okay, we purchased the 2018 Sierra, 4X4, Crew Cab, short bed, SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering truck. I found a very inexpensive one-way ticket on Frontier Airlines and then drove the truck 3/4 of the way across the country back to our house. So I have many, many miles in the seat - mostly at highway speeds and some city traffic.

The 8-speed transmission does seem a bit quirky at very low speed - both accelerating and decelerating. I can imagine the clunkiness may be exacerbated when towing.

What felt like a tight-feeling, well-tuned suspension during test drives is proving to be a relatively rough ride - particularly when encountering potholes and the bump-bump-bump of some concrete interstate freeways. This ride of this truck is much more truck-like than either the 1996 C2500 Suburban or the 2005 K2500 Suburban we have. The Suburban's ride like Lincoln Continentals compared to this truck. I'm not saying that's entirely bad but it sure is a change from what we're accustomed.

I wonder if some of the rough/firm ride stems from the large diameter (20") rims with relatively low-profile tires? The profile on these tires results in a side wall that is about 4". The side wall of the tires on our Suburban's is approximately 6". The pressure in the Sierra tires is 35 psi or so while the Suburban is 50 front and 80 rear. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone changed to 18" tires to obtain increased side wall?

The torque and horsepower of the 6.2L engine is absolutely amazing! I've never owned a vehicle with this amount of power. I haven't had the need to "floor it" and I'd be afraid to do so because I think the tires would break loose.

We are looking forward to towing with this truck and enjoying many happy miles on the road. I hope it serves us well.

I know, I know... I promised pictures. I'll get to that later.

on edit: I put fuel in the vehicle 6 times - sometimes as little as 1/2 a tank but I did it based on wind conditions, highway speeds, terrain, etc. The best mileage was 21.9 and the worst was 17.7. These are calculated values (actual gallons put into the tank / miles on the trip odometer) as I'm not certain I can trust (or understand) how some of the information on the Driver Information Center is displayed and calculated.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Okay, we purchased the 2018 Sierra, 4X4, Crew Cab, short bed, SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering truck. I found a very inexpensive one-way ticket on Frontier Airlines and then drove the truck 3/4 of the way across the country back to our house. So I have many, many miles in the seat - mostly at highway speeds and some city traffic.

The 8-speed transmission does seem a bit quirky at very low speed - both accelerating and decelerating. I can imagine the clunkiness may be exacerbated when towing.

What felt like a tight-feeling, well-tuned suspension during test drives is proving to be a relatively rough ride - particularly when encountering potholes and the bump-bump-bump of some concrete interstate freeways. This ride of this truck is much more truck-like than either the 1996 C2500 Suburban or the 2005 K2500 Suburban we have. The Suburban's ride like Lincoln Continentals compared to this truck. I'm not saying that's entirely bad but it sure is a change from what we're accustomed.

I wonder if some of the rough/firm ride stems from the large diameter (20") rims with relatively low-profile tires? The profile on these tires results in a side wall that is about 4". The side wall of the tires on our Suburban's is approximately 6". The pressure in the Sierra tires is 35 psi or so while the Suburban is 50 front and 80 rear. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone changed to 18" tires to obtain increased side wall?

The torque and horsepower of the 6.2L engine is absolutely amazing! I've never owned a vehicle with this amount of power. I haven't had the need to "floor it" and I'd be afraid to do so because I think the tires would break loose.

We are looking forward to towing with this truck and enjoying many happy miles on the road. I hope it serves us well.

I know, I know... I promised pictures. I'll get to that later.

on edit: I put fuel in the vehicle 6 times - sometimes as little as 1/2 a tank but I did it based on wind conditions, highway speeds, terrain, etc. The best mileage was 21.9 and the worst was 17.7. These are calculated values (actual gallons put into the tank / miles on the trip odometer) as I'm not certain I can trust (or understand) how some of the information on the Driver Information Center is displayed and calculated.

I have a 2017 version. The transmission is clunky at low speeds when not towing, but no problems at all when towing my 2018 FC30. I towed about 15,000 miles last year and truck now has about 23,000 miles on it.
I averaged 12.3 towing miles from Vermont to Albuquerque and back. The best mileage I ever got was 24.6 not towing.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We have an 18 GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2l 8 spd 2 WD The transmission does have its quirks but we were told to drive it and put some miles on it which we have. Works somewhat better. I have taken it in for software updates and it is working much better. I was told GM will be out with a major software update for the transmission in January. I will be taking our truck in for the update next month.
Truck has plenty of power and tows great. The Denali has the Mag tech suspension system and it rides pretty nice compared to our 2500 Suburban we used to have. We also have the 20 inch wheel tire combination.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #398
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Modifications for Bypassing ITBC

I suspected the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller in our 2018 Sierra wasn't going to work with the electric/hydraulic brakes on our Airstream. Our initial hitch-up to the trailer proved that hunch to be correct. So... I installed an aftermarket trailer brake controller. You can read about that HERE.

Subsequent to the aftermarket trailer brake controller installation we've only towed the trailer about 50 miles to verify brakes, hitch, etc. The route did include some significant hills. So far, so good. The transmission worked well and the trans temperature remained less than 190F - a little higher than I expected but not bad. Our first trip with the new tow vehicle will likely be in March/April time frame.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #399
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
After towing our 1992, 29 ft. Classic over 1000 miles I’m not quite sure what to think about this truck. The engine has plenty of power, the transmission works well on the highway but is quirky at low speeds and stop & go, and the shocks are VERY MUCH underdamped.

I cringe to think of swapping out shocks on a brand new truck. My first pass at dialing in the WD hitch may be off and perhaps that’s affecting what is perceived as underdamped suspension. I’ll certainly give the hitch more consideration before I call Bilstein.

The vehicle is reasonably comfortable and we like the fact that The infotainment system works with Apple Carplay.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #400
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
After towing our 1992, 29 ft. Classic over 1000 miles I’m not quite sure what to think about this truck. The engine has plenty of power, the transmission works well on the highway but is quirky at low speeds and stop & go, and the shocks are VERY MUCH underdamped.

I cringe to think of swapping out shocks on a brand new truck. My first pass at dialing in the WD hitch may be off and perhaps that’s affecting what is perceived as underdamped suspension. I’ll certainly give the hitch more consideration before I call Bilstein.

The vehicle is reasonably comfortable and we like the fact that The infotainment system works with Apple Carplay.

My thoughts, too. The transmission is fine towing, but was jerky coming to a slow stop. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced a solenoid. It's not perfect, but better. After towing about 15,000 miles, it seemed to porpoise a lot, so I decided to replace the shocks with Bilsteins all around. Non towing, I don't see much difference. I'll be picking up my 2018 FC 30RBT on Thursday for a 2 week trip with the new shocks. I'll report back if I notice a better experience towing.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags