Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I didn't want a sunroof. 50# penalty, cost a lot, and I just end up rarely using them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
How is this high payload reached? On the GM website (Features & Specs - capabilities), a Crew Cab Sierra 1500 6.2 4WD max payload is 1690 lbs. Any additional options probably lowers that number.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
How is this high payload reached? On the GM website (Features & Specs - capabilities), a Crew Cab Sierra 1500 6.2 4WD max payload is 1690 lbs. Any additional options probably lowers that number.
That's got to be fully loaded. Again, mine is a double cab, LT1 package, LTZ. 1690 would be about right for a crew, completely loaded, including sunroof and all options. You quote a 340# difference. 200ish for crew cab. 50ish for sunroof. That leaves 90# difference for other misc. options I don't have. I did not factory order side steps and tonneau either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
4WD also lowers the payload as compared to 2WD, because having 4WD adds weight.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
I think that the confusion (at least some of it) is due to different ratings for the standard 1500 series versus those with the Maximum Trailering Package. I've taken the 2017 Sierra Brochure (.PDF file downloadable from GMC Website) and enlarged the section on weights and payloads for the K1500/4WD versions. I trust that the Silverado ratings are identical. Note, footnote 3 denotes the versions with the Max Tow Pkg. Take a look and then see what questions you have remaining. I still don't know exactly how the payload figures are calculated regarding empty weight as I posted earlier. I'm not worried about this issue as I believe that the half ton with max trailering is the best compromise available for my circumstances.

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
NHT package? You can get a 6.2 without the max tow( NHT ) and your payload is 400lb less.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
NHT package? You can get a 6.2 without the max tow( NHT ) and your payload is 400lb less.

George
Good point. I assumed he was accounting for MaxTow, but he didn't specify that.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I think that the confusion (at least some of it) is due to different ratings for the standard 1500 series versus those with the Maximum Trailering Package. I've taken the 2017 Sierra Brochure (.PDF file downloadable from GMC Website) and enlarged the section on weights and payloads for the K1500/4WD versions. I trust that the Silverado ratings are identical. Note, footnote 3 denotes the versions with the Max Tow Pkg. Take a look and then see what questions you have remaining. I still don't know exactly how the payload figures are calculated regarding empty weight as I posted earlier. I'm not worried about this issue as I believe that the half ton with max trailering is the best compromise available for my circumstances.

What does the "note 3" reference on the 6.2 under "MaxPayload", Shortbed say under the last listing? Does it preclude options?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
What does the "note 3" reference on the 6.2 under "MaxPayload", Shortbed say under the last listing? Does it preclude options?
I think it's "with available max trailering package".
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #190
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi Folks. Just an update on my experiance with my 2015 6.2 Max Tow GMC.
We now have over 60,000 KM on the truck and it continues to do what I bought it to do..... pull my 31' Ckassis all over N/A! We are curently in Baja Mexico and if you have ever been down here you will understand the road conditions that we have had to deal with. Not just surface conditions but elevation changes that are huge and happen over a very short distance! The truck is handling everything really well and still providing me with 11.3 miles per gallon for the 5,000 mile pull to get down here. Oil use is non evident as I change the oil when the monitor gets to about 30% remaining. Never had to add oil between changes. This is just a great truck to drive and one that pulls my A/S without question. On the way down we took the wrong road from the Sultan Sea to Julian Cal, and then headed over to I8 to San Diego. That too was quite a thrill on the road in and out of Julian. I swear that we were looking at the back of our own trailer on some of the hair-pin turns! An awesome drive for sure.
Will keep reporting in on the truck performance as time goes on. For certain when we get home in April after another 5,000ish miles.
Safe travels and happy new year to all
Pete
S/OS#88
WBCCI # 8160
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Footnote 3 require MaxTow. It will include just base options....but remember, in order to get the 6.2L w/Maxtow you have to get an SLT or LTZ "base truck"...which are pretty loaded. I am not as familiar with Spec'ing the GMCs as I was only interested in Chev, but I am sure 6.2L/Maxtow drive a very high level of option content.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am not as familiar with Spec'ing the GMCs as I was only interested in Chev, but I am sure 6.2L/Maxtow drive a very high level of option content.
The Chevy LZT and GMC SLT are very comparable vehicles. There are only very slight configuration differences...mostly dealing with appearance. For instance, assume that each vehicle is equipped with bucket seats that are cocoa/dune in color. The option (Regular Production Option or RPO) code is different because the styling/stitching/etc. have slight differences for product differentiation...nothing more. The seat assemblies probably weigh the same. I dare say that the basic empty weight of each truck is within 15 pounds of the other.

Now, GMC and Chevy share many of the same RPOs that in this case are for identical equipment. For instance NHT (maximum trailering package) and L86 (420 HP engine that is a variant of the Corvette's 460 HP LT1 engine) are identical for both brands as is all of the associated power train and chassis equipment.

Further, I suspect that the published payload is for a minimally equipped vehicle (SLT/LZT) so as to be able to publish the maximum "rated" payload.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:44 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
My friends 2016 Silverado 2016 6.2 Maxtow says 2130 on the payload capacity. FYI
My bad . Actual door sticker says 1960. Sorry for wrong info.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:34 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
The Chevy LZT and GMC SLT are very comparable vehicles. There are only very slight configuration differences...mostly dealing with appearance. For instance, assume that each vehicle is equipped with bucket seats that are cocoa/dune in color. The option (Regular Production Option or RPO) code is different because the styling/stitching/etc. have slight differences for product differentiation...nothing more. The seat assemblies probably weigh the same. I dare say that the basic empty weight of each truck is within 15 pounds of the other.

Now, GMC and Chevy share many of the same RPOs that in this case are for identical equipment. For instance NHT (maximum trailering package) and L86 (420 HP engine that is a variant of the Corvette's 460 HP LT1 engine) are identical for both brands as is all of the associated power train and chassis equipment.

Further, I suspect that the published payload is for a minimally equipped vehicle (SLT/LZT) so as to be able to publish the maximum "rated" payload.

Steve
Correct, but minimum isn't very "minimum ". I would have preferred that 6.2 MaxTow be available in an LT with a cloth bench and have a couple hundred extra pounds payload. That said, now that I have all the bells and whistles, the Mrs. really likes them. First truck she is really excited about and enjoys driving.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #195
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
The magic combination of the 6.2 and the max trailer tow is available only on the GMC SLT crew and Chevy LTZ crew. 6.2 is not available on lesser trims; max trailer tow is not available on top line High Country and Denali trims. My truck (short bed) does not have a sunroof and has 1960 lbs. cargo per the sticker on the door. Has various other options but I don't think they materially add to the weight. Not sure if the 20 inch wheels can be avoided.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
The magic combination of the 6.2 and the max trailer tow is available only on the GMC SLT crew and Chevy LTZ crew. 6.2 is not available on lesser trims; max trailer tow is not available on top line High Country and Denali trims. My truck (short bed) does not have a sunroof and has 1960 lbs. cargo per the sticker on the door. Has various other options but I don't think they materially add to the weight. Not sure if the 20 inch wheels can be avoided.
With Chevrolet, you can get it in a double cab as well as crew.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #197
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What are the axle ratings on these MaxTow trucks.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #198

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Wow the options really hammer that payload! I drove a GMC SLT All Terrain last Saturday that had the sunroof in addition to package stuff, its payload was something like 1460. (I wouldn't bet a mortgage payment on the last 2 digits but it was between 1400 and 1500 lb.) It was a nice, solid-feeling truck and did well on some crappy roads I drove down for a test, but I would skip the All Terrain package since you can't get the ventilated seats with it and I'm not a big offroader.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What are the axle ratings on these MaxTow trucks.
3950 front. 4300 rear.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Wow the options really hammer that payload! I drove a GMC SLT All Terrain last Saturday that had the sunroof in addition to package stuff, its payload was something like 1460. (I wouldn't bet a mortgage payment on the last 2 digits but it was between 1400 and 1500 lb.) It was a nice, solid-feeling truck and did well on some crappy roads I drove down for a test, but I would skip the All Terrain package since you can't get the ventilated seats with it and I'm not a big offroader.
Boy, I'm not sure what all it has that my LTZ Chevy doesn't have that can make it 500ish less than mine. Was this a crew cab long bed? You say sunroof, which I don't have...did it have factory invoiced side steps and tonneau? Mine has a sticker payload of 2034. Are you sure it had NHT coded MaxTow package?

Tags