Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Thanks very much for the very helpful feedback! We're still on the F-150 path - today my wife drove the truck that we'll very likely become our tow vehicle.

For those that want to know, we're after a Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew with 3.5L EB, max tow package (3.55 axle + large gas tank + etc), 502a + technology package, moon roof, 18" wheels.

I did obtain additional numbers:
GCWR(F-150): 16,100#; GVWR(F-150): 7000#; GVWR(Globetrotter): 7530#
GVWR(F-150) + GVWR*Globetrotter) = 14,530# which is less that 16,100#.

Of course, we won't know the actual tongue weight until we weigh it, but it seems like it will 'fit'.

I have one more visit to make to see if the load capacity for the same Lariat with 20" wheels / tires would make any appreciable load capacity difference.

Thanks again... Duncan
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #42
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation

Ddrg-

Good for you and congrats on an upcoming F150 purchase(sounds like).

As I stated earlier, we are very pleased with our ‘15 model. I am of the opinion that you don’t need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck for an Airstream that is designed to never weigh more than 7350lbs! Period. Keep your cargo in the truck under control, do the 3 pass weigh station method when you’re setting up to travel specs, and get out there!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #43
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Nice truck. Get the extended warranty. There are too many bells and whistles that can fail. My panorama moonroof jammed and I was quoted a price of $2200 to fix (not replace).
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
Thanks very much for the very helpful feedback! We're still on the F-150 path - today my wife drove the truck that we'll very likely become our tow vehicle.

For those that want to know, we're after a Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew with 3.5L EB, max tow package (3.55 axle + large gas tank + etc), 502a + technology package, moon roof, 18" wheels.

Of course, we won't know the actual tongue weight until we weigh it, but it seems like it will 'fit'.

I have one more visit to make to see if the load capacity for the same Lariat with 20" wheels / tires would make any appreciable load capacity difference.

Thanks again... Duncan
I loved my F150 EB 4x4 Platinum for towing our 25' and daily driver. Problem many caution about, was payload. AS others have said, make sure you get maximum payload with your selection. The sunroof for us living in TX (even AZ) was not used much, and can surely give you more load savings. Waste of money and weight, in my opinion. As for overall choice over an F250 or larger, the "new" F250s ride is also very nice...just more difficult as a daily driver, and more fuel/maintenance costs. We got the 6.7L diesel and it works great for our 28'. I believe, the F150 to be a bit small in weight/length for towing larger than 25'. Many folks are pulling the larger 27-30' AS's with the 1/2T's, however.

I will say, the big difference's (aside from payload and size) that I notice while pulling with the F250 6.7L, is the overall power (925lbs torque), and the automatic engine braking feature combined with trany in "tow mode" using cruise-control... It still blows my mind to set the cruise control and glide up/down the Rockies at 60-65mph while maintaining 1500rpms, without ever touching gas or brakes! But it was my wife who got me considering the F250...glad she did!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Hi,

First post - seeking your help in confirming our proposed 2018 Globetrotter tow vehicle. We bought the trailer yesterday, and will be buying a tow vehicle this week.

According to the Airstream website, the Globetrotter's hitch weight is 820# and GVWR is 7530#. (We don't yet have an actual weight, but trailer does have second A/C and solar electric.)

I couldn't find the ProPride 3P hitch weight on their website, but other posts suggests that it weights in at about 150#.

Today, I found a 2018 Lariat Supercrew (145" wheelbase) 3.5l EB, 3.55 axle, with Max Trailer Tow Package. The yellow door tag says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1649#".

Assuming my wife and I are the occupants (< 400#), it seems to me that the cargo capacity will be 279# (= 1649# - 820# - 400# - 150#).

Did I get that right? We've purchased the Globetrotter, and are searching for a tow vehicle which can pull the trailer and will be a daily driver.

Thanks... Duncan
I tow a ‘18 27fb with a ‘17 f150 Platinium 3.5 with electronic locking diff and the 10 speed transmission. I have every option except 4wd and sunroof, so my payload is similar to yours.

We used to be sailors and had to schlep stuff from the parking lot to the slip. We learned not to carry stuff we would not use. With this attitude, we find we have all kinds of storage room left on the trailer.

We have no trouble towing, are well within tolerances and frankly, it’s relaxing driving down the highway at posted speeds.

And the truck is a great daily driver. The 3.5 eb with the 10 speed is a really nice vehicle.

I get 12 mpg towing and 23 mixed commuting.

The only reason to get a f250 is you want a big truck. Hey, best reason to buy something excessive, is because you want it!
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Anyone here with a diesel pickup doing forced re-gen? Prima facie evidence the vehicle was badly chosen. Engine isn’t worked hard enough to maintain the heat necessary to obviate that. Will be a bad choice in a used vehicle to find this record, as well as a low lifetime average mph. Same problem can exist in Class 8 where too much engine power can’t be adequately used.

Contrary to what too many think, the hard-worked engine is the long-lived engine once past adequacy. (0-60 in 20-seconds is better than adequate).

As to flying up a pass at a speed where one has a greater than 15-mph spread versus slower traffic, words fail. And worse is descending at a speed where there is no room for run-out due to TT sway caused by slack in the hitch rigging.

Unless the truck enables TT braking with exhaust brake actuation, one has set ones self for the worst possible accident type due to hitch rigging slack.

The sole purpose of an engine or exhaust brake is as an aid to the combined vehicle where the brakes of both struggle to maintain a set descent speed.

Is the truck fully loaded and the trailer weigh in excess of 12,000-lbs? One is on the edge of need. Try a 22,000-lb trailer, instead.

Want to see a stupid Airstreamer? Down the mountain on the cruise control and exhaust brake. Too fast, and already out-of-control. Two dozen or more times we’ve seen this commentary the past ten years or more?

So, let me buy a truck with capacities I can’t utilize, that forces higher operating costs and lowers reliability, and tempts with operating in a thoroughly unsafe manner.

And for every solo mile is the vehicle most likely to turn turtle with severe health consequences.

Yeah. That’s the one for me.

There are plenty of choices. Not all trucks or so based. Understand how hitch rigging works and relegate this problem to where it belongs. “Weight” or “Payload” or even a pickup is NOT the starting point. The TV that best suits solo duty and can also pull the TT is that.

“Oh, but I have to have a pickup”. Why? Where’s the minimal effort expended in finding the load the TV will carry? Scale tickets. Rent a U-Haul pickup and find out.

You want “safety”? The actions and words are otherwise. Nothing but guesstimates around here.

I’ve travelled the 48 in jobs where loading and unloading a tanker is two-hours plus. The given minimum. Means I have to have not only food, tools and the usual supplies, but an enormous range of clothing, footwear, etc. What does it weigh? What load on Steer and Drives? It’s 500-lbs. Time and effort that isn’t reimbursed to find that. It affects me every time I load the tanker. With over 2000-lbs of fuel, something has to give somewhere. I may travel weeks or months at a time. It’s all part of being responsible for meeting the demands.

What’s necessary to traveling by RV. Some food and clothing. The rest was optional.

If all the toys, the firewood, the cast iron cookware, etc is desired, fine. But where’s the understanding that the choice involves higher risk? (Please don’t embarrass us about your wonderful record at the wheel).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC1 View Post
I tow a ‘18 27fb with a ‘17 f150 Platinium 3.5 with electronic locking diff and the 10 speed transmission. I have every option except 4wd and sunroof, so my payload is similar to yours.

We used to be sailors and had to schlep stuff from the parking lot to the slip. We learned not to carry stuff we would not use. With this attitude, we find we have all kinds of storage room left on the trailer.

We have no trouble towing, are well within tolerances and frankly, it’s relaxing driving down the highway at posted speeds.

And the truck is a great daily driver. The 3.5 eb with the 10 speed is a really nice vehicle.

The only reason to get a f250 is you want a big truck. Hey, best reason to buy something excessive, is because you want it!

That's not what we wanted...a "big truck." After pulling 3 different 25' AS's, we wanted a "bigger trailer"; hence the 28'. (we also considered the 27'). The F250 provides more capability, safety, and power. That's all!

No argument on the F150 being a great truck and daily driver. But for us, the extra weight, length, power, and safety features of the F250 were important with a longer, heavier AS. I recently was pulling the 28' to Alumalina in SC at 60mph on a 2 lane highway. We came around a curve and the traffic was dead stopped; no brake lights showing. I hit the brakes and the F250 slowed right down without a skid. We are convinced the extra weight of the 28', coupled the lighter weight and shorter WB of the F150 would have pushed us into the car in front of us. Never would have thought of that before having it happen...the F250 safely slowed/stopped us, without skidding nor having any issues with the AS behind. I don't feel having a margin of safety with the extra length, weight, braking power when pulling is "something excessive", but to some, perhaps. Remember to enjoy the ride....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:

The only reason to get a f250 is you want a big truck.
Pretty bold statement.

I think many of us have our reasons for going with a higher capacity truck, either in the Airstream towing function or for work or other needs.

I was very happy with our overall experience towing with an F150 Ecoboost. Seeing payloads on new ones with the level of options we want being under 1500 pounds, it just felt like too much of a compromise to stay with an F150 for our needs. It also allows me to rent heavy construction equipment without paying delivery fees. Our local rental outfits won't allow any of their trailers/equipment to be moved with a so called 1/2 ton truck, even relatively light loads.

To each their own.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Have a 2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost with 1660 lbs payload. Took my 27FB to Alaska and back this summer, 9,000 miles round trip. Up and down plenty of grades. Never felt like it was a problem. Averaged about 12.5 mpg towing using tow/haul mode exclusively. Had a couple hundred lbs of clutter in the truck bed. Very comfortable truck. Also a nice easy driver when unhitched and here at home.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
[/B]
That's not what we wanted...a "big truck." After pulling 3 different 25' AS's, we wanted a "bigger trailer"; hence the 28'. (we also considered the 27'). The F250 provides more capability, safety, and power. That's all!

No argument on the F150 being a great truck and daily driver. But for us, the extra weight, length, power, and safety features of the F250 were important with a longer, heavier AS. I recently was pulling the 28' to Alumalina in SC at 60mph on a 2 lane highway. We came around a curve and the traffic was dead stopped; no brake lights showing. I hit the brakes and the F250 slowed right down without a skid. We are convinced the extra weight of the 28', coupled the lighter weight and shorter WB of the F150 would have pushed us into the car in front of us. Never would have thought of that before having it happen...the F250 safely slowed/stopped us, without skidding nor having any issues with the AS behind. I don't feel having a margin of safety with the extra length, weight, braking power when pulling is "something excessive", but to some, perhaps. Remember to enjoy the ride....
I didn’t mean for my comment to cause offense.

I do have a question though, that perhaps might simply show my lack of knowledge.

Various tests we all can google show a loaded f150 stops from 60 at least as well as a loaded f250. An Airstream trailer has drum brakes. Why would the heavier mass of an f250 equipped with an anti sway hitch, stop faster than an f150 similarity equipped and towing the same airstream 28?

Given adequate brakes and good tires, I don’t understand why greater mass would assist faster stopping.

It kinda goes against my limited understanding of physics.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #51
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Given adequate brakes and good tires, I don’t understand why greater mass would assist faster stopping.

It kinda goes against my limited understanding of physics.
It’s not just you. It goes against physics.

What the heavier truck does likely have is more fade resistance, so a higher number of repeated cycles of the aforementioned panic stop will be accommodated before brakes fade. Or one could drive so as not to have quite so many panic stops in short succession.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiehaus View Post
Nice truck. Get the extended warranty. There are too many bells and whistles that can fail. My panorama moonroof jammed and I was quoted a price of $2200 to fix (not replace).
We did - 6 years / 72k miles - for exactly the reasons you stated.

Thanks!

Duncan
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Have a 2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost with 1660 lbs payload. Took my 27FB to Alaska and back this summer, 9,000 miles round trip. Up and down plenty of grades. Never felt like it was a problem. Averaged about 12.5 mpg towing using tow/haul mode exclusively. Had a couple hundred lbs of clutter in the truck bed. Very comfortable truck. Also a nice easy driver when unhitched and here at home.
Thanks! I'm hoping we'll have a similar experience!

Duncan
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks! I think we made the right decision for us and am hoping our experiences are similar to your's!

Duncan
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks again... Duncan
I drove the F150 last night, and we bought it. I think we'll be happy.

Thanks again for all your help. Now on to the hitch forum...

Duncan
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
I drove the F150 last night, and we bought it. I think we'll be happy.

Thanks again for all your help. Now on to the hitch forum...

Duncan
Congrats on the new truck. I'm real curious on where it ended up with your payload sticker and if you have the moon roof.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Congrats on the new truck. I'm real curious on where it ended up with your payload sticker and if you have the moon roof.
Thanks! We have the moon roof, and the yellow payload sticker reads 1649#.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Congratulations! I am sure you will be happy! We put 125K on our 2012 F150 EB before moving to the new F250. The F150 EB is a great all around truck for a 1/2T, especially with the new 10 speed!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Anyone here with a diesel pickup doing forced re-gen? Prima facie evidence the vehicle was badly chosen. Engine isn’t worked hard enough to maintain the heat necessary to obviate that. Will be a bad choice in a used vehicle to find this record, as well as a low lifetime average mph. Same problem can exist in Class 8 where too much engine power can’t be adequately used.

Contrary to what too many think, the hard-worked engine is the long-lived engine once past adequacy. (0-60 in 20-seconds is better than adequate).

As to flying up a pass at a speed where one has a greater than 15-mph spread versus slower traffic, words fail. And worse is descending at a speed where there is no room for run-out due to TT sway caused by slack in the hitch rigging.

Unless the truck enables TT braking with exhaust brake actuation, one has set ones self for the worst possible accident type due to hitch rigging slack.

The sole purpose of an engine or exhaust brake is as an aid to the combined vehicle where the brakes of both struggle to maintain a set descent speed.

Is the truck fully loaded and the trailer weigh in excess of 12,000-lbs? One is on the edge of need. Try a 22,000-lb trailer, instead.

Want to see a stupid Airstreamer? Down the mountain on the cruise control and exhaust brake. Too fast, and already out-of-control. Two dozen or more times we’ve seen this commentary the past ten years or more?

So, let me buy a truck with capacities I can’t utilize, that forces higher operating costs and lowers reliability, and tempts with operating in a thoroughly unsafe manner.

And for every solo mile is the vehicle most likely to turn turtle with severe health consequences.

Yeah. That’s the one for me.

There are plenty of choices. Not all trucks or so based. Understand how hitch rigging works and relegate this problem to where it belongs. “Weight” or “Payload” or even a pickup is NOT the starting point. The TV that best suits solo duty and can also pull the TT is that.

“Oh, but I have to have a pickup”. Why? Where’s the minimal effort expended in finding the load the TV will carry? Scale tickets. Rent a U-Haul pickup and find out.

You want “safety”? The actions and words are otherwise. Nothing but guesstimates around here.

I’ve travelled the 48 in jobs where loading and unloading a tanker is two-hours plus. The given minimum. Means I have to have not only food, tools and the usual supplies, but an enormous range of clothing, footwear, etc. What does it weigh? What load on Steer and Drives? It’s 500-lbs. Time and effort that isn’t reimbursed to find that. It affects me every time I load the tanker. With over 2000-lbs of fuel, something has to give somewhere. I may travel weeks or months at a time. It’s all part of being responsible for meeting the demands.

What’s necessary to traveling by RV. Some food and clothing. The rest was optional.

If all the toys, the firewood, the cast iron cookware, etc is desired, fine. But where’s the understanding that the choice involves higher risk? (Please don’t embarrass us about your wonderful record at the wheel).

Your too much, Slowmover!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Thats great, better then I would have expected. It sure makes me wonder why the Platinum's I looked at were so much lower, around 1450.

Enjoy!