Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Ecoboast

You have to admit that Ford has gotten creative with their engine technology. The auto/truck industry is highly competitive, and Ford is trying to stay alive by pushing the limits of their EB and diesel engines. When I test drove one of their F250s with a Powerstroke, it had the quietest and most powerful diesel engine of all, with virtually no turbo lag.

Now the EB engine uses 6 bolt main caps, which isn't common in a gas engine, and I must say I haven't seen my boost gauge up high much when towing, and that's usually when I'm entering an interstate entrance ramp and trying to get up to speed fast, which I can do with my F150 and 28' stream. But I generally use my truck around town and not towing. But I'll trade up to a larger truck in a few years and change oil frequently till then, since the turbos are cooled by oil too.
devolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #162
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Since we're having a silly discussion about the size of our trucks, I will say this: having ridden in a "dually," I will never own one. If I'm not towing, then every time I hit a bump the truck scrambles my kidneys, hurts my back and bangs my teeth together. If I am towing, I hate to think what that dually could do to my Airstream, unless I added an AirSafe (or something like that) to the hitch rigging.

Also, given I'm towing an Airstream and not a gigantic heavy SOB trailer, I will never need a dually. I will admit to Jonesing after a 3/4 ton gasser because of the load capacity limitations of our RAM 1500 with a 5.7 engine and a max-tow package, but pulling & stopping capability have never been an issue in all our many miles of towing. I will never want a dually or even a 1-ton as long as I'm towing an Airstream, though our next truck, if we wore this one out before we stopped 'streaming, would be a 3/4 ton gasser.

When towing an Airstream, all this "go big or go home" nonsense wrt suggesting folks need a 1-ton or a dually is just that: nonsense.

If a 1-ton dually makes you happy you should by all means get a 1-ton dually and haul your Airstream all over the country (and beyond). I promise, I won't argue that you did the wrong thing. It's your money, you get to spend it however you like, and the only thing that really matters is whether you're happy with the results.

However, if one feels a tremendous need to rationalize a decision to go big by telling everybody else they are wrong if they don't use a 1-ton or a dually or a diesel to haul an Airstream trailer, one might want to re-examine the motivation for doing so. Maybe speak about the decision in terms of how happy one is, what is awesome about it and so on. Maybe try not to speak about it in terms of how anybody who didn't do the same is wrong-headed and foolish.

BTW, engine oil analysis - interesting idea. something cool borrowed from the big truck shops with gigantic engines where they do that sort of thing all the time. Could be fun to do one someday to see how our 5.7 is faring.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You know youcan get one tons with srw, dont you. Mine was.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #164
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
You know youcan get one tons with srw, dont you. Mine was.
Oh, absolutely!

That's why i was trying to refer, almost separately to 1-tons and dually's.

Again, there's no reasonable argument anywhere that proves anybody *needs* a 1-ton truck to tow an Airstream.

Wanting 1-tons for whatever reasons, liking them, saying how great experiences have been with them, and so on, is totally cool. One should do that as often as they like. Won't convince me in the least to go beyond 3/4 ton, but that's OK. I'm glad folks with really big trucks are happy with their choices and their expenditures. I would love it just once, though, if folks with huge trucks wouldn't try to tell me that if I don't buy one too, then kittens, bunnies, children and little old ladies will die as I pass by with my 1/2 ton truck and it will be all my fault.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
On an F150 that we want to optimize we will install Bilstein Shocks, this is an expensive change but it does make an amazing difference to the handling. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time it is worth doing. You will have to change the factory shocks sometime so might as well have the benefit today.

Re: Bilstein shocks — which one best for Silverado 1500 towing a 28’

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...silverado-1500
Old 03-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation

[ATTACH]306087

Just ordered the Bilstein shocks for my Silverado 2016 1500.

Also ordered the Curt 14301 receiver that I am going to try to install myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	306087  
Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #167
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
[ATTACH]306087

Just ordered the Bilstein shocks for my Silverado 2016 1500.

Also ordered the Curt 14301 receiver that I am going to try to install myself.
I often see comments about Bilstein shocks. I've never owned them nor do I know anyone who has. What do they do that makes them desirable and superior to others?

Just trying to increase my understanding!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #168
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation

My mechanic said (as did the local trailer hitch company ) they are better not as leaky as the ones you buy at autozone, etc. he said that they used to come stock on silverados and you don’t really need to put them on the fronts but the rear need to be replaced if you are pulling weight after 25k Miles. I’m probably being overly cautious but handling is very important to me. Pulling the 28’ with a 1 ton. Also upgrading the receiver hitch to a curt 14301 [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2599.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	306088  
Old 07-10-2023, 05:18 PM   #169
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
Well, there is going and there is style. I chose GOING first and style as the pocketbook/ego demands. Better to get there in one piece then to be hunkered down in style at the morgue.

The 1960's lament to "live fast, die young...and leave a beautiful corpse" is not the lament of the average camper on this site.

The Deuceman
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #170
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Since we're having a silly discussion about the size of our trucks, I will say this: having ridden in a "dually," I will never own one. If I'm not towing, then every time I hit a bump the truck scrambles my kidneys, hurts my back and bangs my teeth together. If I am towing, I hate to think what that dually could do to my Airstream, unless I added an AirSafe (or something like that) to the hitch rigging.

I will never want a dually or even a 1-ton as long as I'm towing an Airstream, though our next truck, if we wore this one out before we stopped 'streaming, would be a 3/4 ton gasser.

When towing an Airstream, all this "go big or go home" nonsense wrt suggesting folks need a 1-ton or a dually is just that: nonsense.

I am not SURE how the dually got into this conversation. A dual wheel truck had ONE specific purpose in life and that is 'carrying weight', NOT hauling weight. The go big or go home comment is taken OUT of context here. The 'proper context' it to go with sufficient power and towing capacity and in that instance you not only need pulling power you need STOPPING power and stopping power in NOT part of the equation when discussing the capacities of an F-150.You CAN'T make a silk purse out of a sows ear with these trucks. If you are pulling anything more than a 15' unit (consider that the towed vehicle curb weight is OFTEN never the actual weight of a fully loaded camper trailer. It is this 'extra' weight that must be salt with when specing out a truck.

Want a 1/2 pickup? There ARE a few out there that can qualify as a good tow companion but the GI issued F-150 with the eco boost is NOT that vehicle. I drive a F-150. I think it is a great truck...but you will not see anything much more that a loaded landscape trailer behind it.

BTW, engine oil analysis - interesting idea. something cool borrowed from the big truck shops with gigantic engines where they do that sort of thing all the time. Could be fun to do one someday to see how our 5.7 is faring.
You call it interesting but it IS in fact, a fantastic tool in anyones maintenance tool box. We use it to give our customer a heads up on the operating condition of their vehicles and so should anyone that tows a serious load.(serious as in the weight load ratio to the towing vehicle)

Oil is the lifeblood of an engine.Not knowing its condition is like driving blind as far as the engine condition is concerned. This goes for the oil also. You want to maximize your oil change intervals but you do not want to compromise your engine in doing so. THAT is where oil analysis comes in to play.

The Deuceman
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote