Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Looks good to me.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #62

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Again, everyone--thanks for the help on this. My main takeaway is that the main limiting factor on the F-150 is payload (others will list other shortcomings, of course, but payload seems to be the main one). There are only three ways to overcome this:
  1. Get a bigger truck
  2. Spec fewer options
  3. Get the HD Payload package

The HD Payload package precludes certain trim levels and a bunch of options, and someone mentioned that the range of trims will actually be limited further in 2019. So given the 2018 lineup, it seems the best F-150 I can spec is listed below. Anyone know how I can find the payload #for this configuration? (I'll start combing through the F-150 forums looking for something similar).

Would Ford corporate be able to help (someone in this thread told a story about how they were misled by Ford corporate).

MSRP for this build is $54,480.

2018 Ford F-150 LARIAT
  • SuperCrew[emoji768]
  • 6-1/2' Box
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
  • Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission with Tow/Haul and Sport Mode
  • 4X4
  • 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio
Blue Jeans

Packages
  • 500A
  • Equipment Group 500A Discount
  • Max Trailer Tow Package
  • Heavy-Duty Payload Package
  • Power Equipment Group

Exterior
  • Tailgate Step with Tailgate Lift Assist
  • Rear Windows - Privacy Glass
  • Rear Windows - Power-Sliding with Privacy Tint and Defroster
  • Rear Windows - Defroster
  • Box Link
  • Extended Range 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Reverse Sensing System
  • Fog Lamps
  • LED Side-Mirror Spotlights
  • LED Box Lighting
  • Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass Heated Trailer Tow Mirrors
  • 18-inch Silver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package Wheels
  • LT275/65R18C OWL All-Terrain Tires

Interior
  • Medium Earth Gray
  • Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Floor Liner - Tray Style, Ebony
  • Flooring - Color-coordinated Carpet with Carpeted Matching Floor Mats
  • Pro Trailer Backup Assist
  • Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)
  • Cruise Control
  • SYNC[emoji768] Connect
  • Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
  • Single-CD Player with SiriusXM[emoji768] Radio
  • SiriusXM[emoji768] Radio
  • SYNC[emoji768] 3
  • Leather-Trimmed 40/20/40 Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
I'd expect to see around 2100 lb on that sticker.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Just about the payload for a diesel.[emoji106]. Also you will love that truck as a daily driver.

The only thing I would get is he spray in liner.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Again, everyone--thanks for the help on this. My main takeaway is that the main limiting factor on the F-150 is payload
. . .
. . . and maybe rear axle weight limits? Sorry to keep posting this, but you really have to dive into the details of the F-150 specs [often only in the owner's manual which comes with the vehicle], to get exact figures for this. A good sales person can find this for you on Ford's site, but I forget how.

We have shopped for all kinds of vans and pickups in the last couple of years, and almost always found that there were real hidden "weak link in the chain" problems with the rear axle weight limits, at least for larger trailers, and lighter duty tow vehicles [150 vs. 250, or in our case 150 Transit van vs. 350 van, which is what we recently went with]

It can look like you have all your ducks lined up in a row, and then you discover the fowl data point which ruins the hunt!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #65
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Again, everyone--thanks for the help on this. My main takeaway is that the main limiting factor on the F-150 is payload (others will list other shortcomings, of course, but payload seems to be the main one). There are only three ways to overcome this:
  1. Get a bigger truck
  2. Spec fewer options
  3. Get the HD Payload package

The HD Payload package precludes certain trim levels and a bunch of options, and someone mentioned that the range of trims will actually be limited further in 2019. So given the 2018 lineup, it seems the best F-150 I can spec is listed below. Anyone know how I can find the payload #for this configuration? (I'll start combing through the F-150 forums looking for something similar).

Would Ford corporate be able to help (someone in this thread told a story about how they were misled by Ford corporate).

MSRP for this build is $54,480.

2018 Ford F-150 LARIAT
  • SuperCrew®
  • 6-1/2' Box
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
  • Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission with Tow/Haul and Sport Mode
  • 4X4
Blue Jeans

Packages
  • 500A
  • Equipment Group 500A Discount
  • Max Trailer Tow Package
  • Heavy-Duty Payload Package
  • Power Equipment Group

Exterior
  • Tailgate Step with Tailgate Lift Assist
  • Rear Windows - Privacy Glass
  • Rear Windows - Power-Sliding with Privacy Tint and Defroster
  • Rear Windows - Defroster
  • Box Link
  • Extended Range 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Reverse Sensing System
  • Fog Lamps
  • LED Side-Mirror Spotlights
  • LED Box Lighting
  • Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass Heated Trailer Tow Mirrors
  • 18-inch Silver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package Wheels
  • LT275/65R18C OWL All-Terrain Tires

Interior
  • Medium Earth Gray
  • Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Floor Liner - Tray Style, Ebony
  • Flooring - Color-coordinated Carpet with Carpeted Matching Floor Mats
  • Pro Trailer Backup Assist
  • Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)
  • Cruise Control
  • SYNC® Connect
  • Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
  • Single-CD Player with SiriusXM® Radio
  • SiriusXM® Radio
  • SYNC® 3
  • Leather-Trimmed 40/20/40 Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Looks good. My only additional suggestion would be to consider rear wheel well liners.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
OK, I combed through the "Post your Payload" thread on the F-150 forums and found a close-enough build (2018 Lariat, Supercrew, HD Payload) with a photo of the door sticker

The configuration posted: Year=2018, Trim=Lariat, Drive=4X4, FX4, MaxTow, HDPP, Cab=SCREW, Bed=6.5?, Engine=3.5L EB, Axle=3.73, Options=500A, Elocker, 36 Gal

The sticker numbers:

With LT275/65R18C 113/110S Tires and 17x7.5J Rims
  • Front GAWR: 3750 lb
  • Rear GAWR: 4800 lb

GVWR=7850#, Payload=2337#

My goal is to have enough capacity to not have to worry about being over. In my case, I expect to carry the 4 of us (let's say 190, 160, 80, 70), four bikes (120), a Honda 2000 generator (let's round up to 60 lbs), and let's be generous and say 200 lbs of stuff that for whatever reason I can't or don't want to put in the trailer (cooler, water, tools, a couple bundles of firewood, tonneau cover and bike rack, who knows). Rounding up, that's 900 lbs of cargo.

Published hitch weight on the GT is 820 lbs. Let's say that's for the queen, that the twin layout is heavier, and round up to 1000.

With a 2300 lb payload capacity, I've got 400 lbs of wiggle room for payload and hitch, right? I'm not quite sure how to calculate load on rear axle or whether the extra fuel capacity and so forth is accounted for. But as far as I can tell this combo would be fine, right?

I'd be totally excited about this if the truck would fit in my garage. Unfortunately with the 6.5' bed and supercrew cab I think I'm an inch or two over, but I'll have to check my measurement and an actual truck measurement.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
  • Front GAWR: 3750 lb
  • Rear GAWR: 4800 lb
. . .
Thanks for these figures.

For starters, before adding in all the stuff you want to carry, I think you need to know what the actual CAT scale weights are for the front and rear axles of this vehicle. I know that this is not possible for a vehicle you don't have yet, but to get an accurate baseline for your calculations, you have to know these "as-built" figures IMO. Someplace Ford has this information, which will then permit calculating the "net" weight you can place on/over the rear axle.

Quote:
. . .
. . . I expect to carry the 4 of us (let's say 190, 160, 80, 70), four bikes (120), a Honda 2000 generator (let's round up to 60 lbs), and let's be generous and say 200 lbs of stuff that for whatever reason I can't or don't want to put in the trailer (cooler, water, tools, a couple bundles of firewood, tonneau cover and bike rack, who knows). Rounding up, that's 900 lbs of cargo.
. . .
Published hitch weight on the GT is 820 lbs. Let's say that's for the queen, that the twin layout is heavier, and round up to 1000.
. . .
So . . . you have 1900 pounds of weight to add +/-, a major portion of which is going to end up on the rear axle. If this pushes the actual CAT scale weight of the rear axle [as-built and as-loaded] over 4800 lb., you should know this ASAP, right?

Sorry I don't have more expertise here, but it is my opinion that there are bumps like these ahead in the F-150 road.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- IMO your guess-timate of 200 lbs. for the misc stuff is way low. Break out each into a line item, and estimate high, you could easily end up closer to 500 lbs IMO, including items you have not listed.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So . . . you have 1900 pounds of weight to add +/-, a major portion of which is going to end up on the rear axle. If this pushes the actual CAT scale weight of the rear axle [as-built and as-loaded] over 4800 lb., you should know this ASAP, right?

Sorry I don't have more expertise here, but it is my opinion that there are bumps like these ahead in the F-150 road.
Totally understand, which is why I'm looking for "best case, real-world config." Doing the same thing for the 250 class, though I think that's a lot more straightforward (both in terms of spec and in terms of constraints). There are a lot of posts in this thread and in others that say that people tow Airstreams of all sizes just fine with the 150, and I don't doubt it for a second. But it's not clear to me if they are traveling with a family or how the way they travel will match with the way we travel. And to be fair--I'm not quite sure how I'll travel yet, but in general we all pack light and prefer it that way.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, good to be on the same page.

Most folks tow without really diving into the details, so I prefer not to follow them in their [at times misguided and/or naive IMO] enthusiasm.

Happy trails!

Peter
Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for these figures.

For starters, before adding in all the stuff you want to carry, I think you need to know what the actual CAT scale weights are for the front and rear axles of this vehicle. I know that this is not possible for a vehicle you don't have yet, but to get an accurate baseline for your calculations, you have to know these "as-built" figures IMO. Someplace Ford has this information, which will then permit calculating the "net" weight you can place on/over the rear axle.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- IMO your guess-timate of 200 lbs. for the misc stuff is way low. Break out each into a line item, and estimate high, you could easily end up closer to 500 lbs IMO, including items you have not listed.

You can put some bikes and generator in AS to reduce payload. If your tongue weight is heavy then load some weight to the middle of AS instead of carry in truck. I carry only my tools and light items in the truck that tend to take up space. You can also just travel with one 30lb LP tank that is full. Unless you are traveling when cold only need one. Just have an empty one to fill if other is close to empty.

And don’t obsess over being a little over. My son is an engineer and he says they make the specs to operate under the most severe conditions. Your truck isn’t going to fall apart if you are 100lbs heavy! If that were the case most cars would be strewn along the road. I just bought a Chrysler Pacifica. The payload is 1067lbs. It carries 6 people. You think I’m going to weigh everyone before they get in? That’s absurd.

Remember that people use to drive these Airstreams with sedans! Not nearly the capacity of today’s trucks. So relax. Do things to adapt to make it reasonable, but don’t obsess like some. If people had to go to the CAT scale every time they went camping no one would go.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-0...wing-capacity/

Here’s a good article to show just how grueling the tests are for these capacities. I dare to say no one would be foolish to do this kind of stuff in the real world.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I will take a "pass" on debating this. The point was that most folks [not the OP] don't even consider that the rear axle weight rating is an independent criterion which must also be met.

A possible weak link in the chain.

"Eyes wide open" . . . that's all.

PS -- Edit -- Narayan, this recent thread is a good read about the weight of all our "stuff."

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ff-186172.html
Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
My plan this week is to find someone either at a dealership or at Ford who can help get me numbers on this configuration. And in parallel to weigh our stuff so I have a more precise figure for projected payload.

I may be off on the cargo guesstimate, but I’m not sure I’m off by much in terms of stuff I’ll throw in the truck. We went on a biking/fishing/hiking roadtrip this summer and while we filled the back of the Volvo, it was far more bulk than weight (my kids were able to carry most of the containers) and much of that was kitchen stuff (grill, cooler, etc.). But you are right; I should get a better number to work from. My goal is to be, with everyone in the vehicle, at least a few hundred below payload and axle ratings.

I think the HD payload package upgrades the rear axle and will verify that as well.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
I agree that the towing mirrors are a nice option but I don't like them when not towing and the slip on extension mirrors work fine. If we were full timers then the towing mirrors would be a nice thing to have.

Just my opinion - We all have one -
Get a diesel with tow package, you may want a larger AS some day. Ram's are more inexpensive than Ford diesels. Tow capacity much better. 6.7 l last forever. Nice to have tow package and exhaust brakes for mountain travel.

Can also downshift or upshift auto transmission. For our 30' Classic, 150 wasn't enough -- needed 3/4 ton.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
If anything this exercise has me looking at smaller Airstreams. I'm getting a larger one to start because of the kids and the extended trip(s) we have planned for this coming summer and possibly the summer afterwards.

Sent the F-150 spec (and my 250 spec) to a few dealers. I've been told the 18s are no longer being made and am waiting to hear back whether the Lariat trim is possible with the HD payload package in 2019 (I've read mixed reports).

If I can make this work with a 150 I will--given that I'm not a full timer and have other uses for a truck that actually require a smaller vehicle (such as living in a city) makes the 150 a much better way to spend for my money. I am borrowing a friend's 250 though for a day to see how it goes.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds like a perfect plan!

Good luck,

Peter
Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #77
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Help spec a new F-150

Our 2016 SuperCrew Heavy Duty Payload F-150 XLT has a door sticker payload of 2434lbs.

Post in the F150 Forum link - see posts 34 and 38 if interested:
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...errerid=234604

Text:

“OK, here is the build sheet

2016 F 150
4x4
SuperCrew
3.5 eco boost
157 wheelbase (6'6" bed)
3.73 axle
301A package
Max Trailer Tow
HD Payload
Extended Range Tank
Black platform running beds
Trailer Tow Mirrors - manual/power glass
Sync 3
Navigation
Tailgate step
Spray in bed liner (Ford)

Kept the options list really short in an attempt to maximize payload. Was hoping to get over 2386 lbs to future-proof for possible trailer upgrades.

Not the most luxurious truck but it has everything I need. Very nice truck and Sync 3 seems very nice.”

Don’t remember if it was available but the only option that I would have added in retrospect was the 360 camera package. Get about 13mpg average towing our 2017 FC 25 FB. Last summer handled eastbound Rte 14 between Burgess Junction and Dayton WY pretty well considering the grade and the twisties .

Higher trim levels will detract from the payload as will more options, as you know.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I would be super thrilled to find this build or be able to order it. The search continues...
Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf

Just a bit of info for those that haven't seen this yet.
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
I would be super thrilled to find this build or be able to order it. The search continues...
We looked at the Eco Boost and decided it didn't have enough guts and longevity to pull our Classic 30'. So, we went with the RAM CTD. Not all of the buzzers and whistles you're talking about.

I know people with small trailers, but they say if they were going to spend any length of time in them, they would go longer.

Lots of people get short trailers and replace them promptly with longer ones. No one wants a trailer where you have to make your bed in order to get in it.

In our case, we're living in a 30 ft hallway.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote