Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by purezen View Post
Once I hook up the trailer and its 850lb tongue weight, then load the F150 with bicycles, generator, chairs, wind chimes and everything else a newbie camper can acquire, I will have quite the view of my Globetrotter going down the highway - I will be running beside it to avoid exceeding the max payload.
Hahahahaha. That was priceless (and I'm so sorry!).

Yeah--several posts (on and other threads and on the F150 forum I'm just now catching up with) suggest any 150 can tow any Airstream, but that the Platinum is not in the cards for my family of four with bikes (the trailer is irrelevant). One of the big reasons I'm being as comprehensive about the research as I can.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If you get XLT you should be fine. May need to put more things in AS.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Generally the person to talk to about this sort of thing is the fleet guy at a dealer that sells a lot of white trucks. That's your best bet for a good guesstimate ahead of time, or just find one of us nerds who obsesses over the pickup truck forums for a year (or 3) while thinking about upgrading his truck.
I had no idea. The guy I talked to was basically just a holder of keys—knew nothing. I’ll make sure to talk to a fleet person next time. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Pm me please
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
You will regret not buying the superduty. How would I know
My inner self said buy it my wife and a salesman said you don’t need it

I have a brand new King Ranch 3.5 eco boost with max tow package. 3200 miles. It’s for sale!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ontario , Ontario
Looking at the 2019 order guide it seems like you can’t order the HDPP with the Lariat trim anymore. This further limits the bells and whistles you can get with the HDPP. I was looking at ordering a 500a with HDPP this fall but I guess I will have to rethink my purchase.
Marc_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the OP has started a new F-250 thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-186474.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI the OP has started a new F-250 thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-186474.html
What???
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Read the threads. I'm pretty clear that I'm researching all options and that I would like--for me and for future readers--straight answers to spec questions about each class. I don't know why anyone would object to this or find it frustrating. I'm asking people with real world experience to enlighten us without getting into a shouting match.

For what it's worth, I wrote both posts at the same time and was planning on posting them simultaneously but I got sidetracked by some family duties.

If anyone who runs these forums is listening, it would be a great resource to many to have sticky posts for suggested TV specs for each class of vehicle, if not each brand. For those like me, who are new to this whole thing (including pickups), the myriad functional options available on a pickup are confusing. I think a lot of you who have done this for a long time might forget how much new information one has to absorb. For certain people or certain endeavors, it's not just as simple as buying a trailer or buying a vehicle with a hitch on it.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Double check your tongue weight on your AS candidates. I was fitted with a blue ox by an AS dealer at the Salem rally who assumed it was around 850#. I’ve not been happy with how it felt back there crossing the country so got it checked out at Blue Ox in Pender, NE. The first thing the rep did was weigh my tongue weight - 1175 pounds! I travel light so I am assuming the front bed twin configuration must be a tongue-heavy option. He moved me from 7th link to 10th and it now performs as promised.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
Read the threads. I'm pretty clear that I'm researching all options and that I would like--for me and for future readers--straight answers to spec questions about each class. I don't know why anyone would object to this or find it frustrating. I'm asking people with real world experience to enlighten us without getting into a shouting match.

For what it's worth, I wrote both posts at the same time and was planning on posting them simultaneously but I got sidetracked by some family duties.

If anyone who runs these forums is listening, it would be a great resource to many to have sticky posts for suggested TV specs for each class of vehicle, if not each brand. For those like me, who are new to this whole thing (including pickups), the myriad functional options available on a pickup are confusing. I think a lot of you who have done this for a long time might forget how much new information one has to absorb. For certain people or certain endeavors, it's not just as simple as buying a trailer or buying a vehicle with a hitch on it.
No one here is trying to get into a "shouting match"...there is a lot of information if you look, without getting snarly! Most of the info is intended to help "enlighten" folks, like yourself...lighten up and take your time here; enjoy reading and learning...I think that's what makes this a great place to learn and share experiences....if your new to the Forum, you will notice there are "reams" if information to learn from....good luck.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #52

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
No one here is trying to get into a "shouting match"...there is a lot of information if you look, without getting snarly! Most of the info is intended to help "enlighten" folks, like yourself...lighten up and take your time here; enjoy reading and learning...I think that's what makes this a great place to learn and share experiences....if your new to the Forum, you will notice there are "reams" if information to learn from....good luck.
Considering the number of people who have completely ignored his initial post in the thread, in which is wrote "I’m asking politely to limit posts in this thread to order-speccing a Ford F-150 rather than berating people for their interest in that model" I can understand his annoyance.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yet one other "interesting point" about the F-150, they go on sale ( = they get incentive packages from the factory). That does not happen quite so often on it's bigger relatives. It's well worth doing that part of the research as part of the "spec out" process. In some cases there are nutty outcomes when you do ( this set of options on that model = big discount, even if you don't need half of the options ...).

As far as I can see, there aren't a ton of differences between the 2018's and 2019's. Again, the "older" trucks are likely to be cheaper. That only counts if you can find what you want on a dealers lot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Funny, MY truck's tow mirrors don't give me a view of my front bumper, but the cameras do. The space doesn't have to be tight left-to-right for the cameras to be useful. The truck is long, and being able to snuggle right up to an obstacle in front or back without actually contacting it (with the help of the cameras) is quite useful and often makes the difference between hanging part of the truck out of the space or not. If you don't want the cameras, with a modern smartphone the nav is redundant. I wanted the cameras, and pointed out that the nav is included in the package with the 360-degree cameras.
Hi

The mirrors don't let you watch that stupidly placed post at the campsite as you cut the wheels to back the trailer into the space. They also don't give you much view of the parking space stripes to line things up properly. Lining up the hitch with a camera is a trivial task. Mirrors don't do much for that part of things either.

Unless you own a fleet of vehicles and bring them all with you all the time .... parking lots are going to happen. I'm not quite sure how you go out for a couple of months without hitting the grocery store at least once a week ..... One *might* run out of beer otherwise

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I noticed you have an F250 post. The thing that was the clincher to me is a gas F250 gets about 14 to 15mpg while not towing; probably less in the winter. A diesel is better, but diesel is more expensive. My F150 gets 22 to 23mpg when not towing. I drive mine for work. I just couldn’t see myself spending that kind of money on gas. Especially since I maybe tow at most 8 times a year. It made no sense. If I was retired and drove half as much, then the F250 wouldn’t be as big a deal. I will however from time to time mix premium in with regular when towing. Some indication get some better performance.

As far as parking I’ve never had a problem parking it. I do have the short bed however. I park away from tight spots for the simple reason I don’t want people dinging my truck.

If I was getting the F250 I might want the camera or at least front sensors. Thing sits up higher.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Wenonah , New Jersey
Ford Truck Towing Specs

Got to "https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/" for specifics on towing capacities by year, model, body configuration (cab and bed)m, engine, 4 or 2 wheel drive, and rear end. Specific download for each model year.
Wabsnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned elsewhere .... there are people who have tow milage as 75% of what gets put on the truck. A lot depends on just what you ultimately will be doing. At the other end of things ... you *can* rent a truck to tow with. Then drive something that gets 50 MPG as your run around vehicle ....

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #58

2018 33' Classic
Fairbanks , Alabama
F150 Spec

There is no sense rehashing which TV to buy. Your choice of the F15O is a good one, IMO. Valuable options:
F150 4x4 Platinum
FX package - skid plates, etc.
6.5’ box
Max Tow package
3,73 gear ratio
Tow mirrors
36 gallon gas tank
5.0 liter V8 (the Ecoboost has great numbers, but the 5.0 outperforms the 3.5 downhill).
Electronics package with full cameras
Bed step - tailgate.
I also installed AirLift air bags.
The Fird brake controller is excellent.
Hensely hitch - You are spending a great deal of money for an Airstream. The Hensley,while expensive, is worth every penny.

The F150 thus equipped will be an excellent tow vehicle as well as extremely competent daily driver. The 3.73 gear does exact a small penalty in mileage, but it is a pitance compared to the benefits.

I use my F150 to tow over the AlCan and am very pleased with the performance.

A note on downhill driving:
1) Never descend in a higher gear than you used to climb the hill.
2) Use the grade to decelorate BEFORE you drop off the downhill.
3) See 2).
4) Never constantly apply the brakes. If your downhill speed is increasing, use a lot of brake then drop a gear. The smell in the air on downhills is from the brakes of drivers going too fast downhill.

Good luck and enjoy.
THartnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THartnell View Post
There is no sense rehashing which TV to buy. Your choice of the F15O is a good one, IMO. Valuable options:
F150 4x4 Platinum
FX package - skid plates, etc.
6.5’ box
Max Tow package
3,73 gear ratio
Tow mirrors
36 gallon gas tank
5.0 liter V8 (the Ecoboost has great numbers, but the 5.0 outperforms the 3.5 downhill).
Electronics package with full cameras
Bed step - tailgate.
I also installed AirLift air bags.
The Fird brake controller is excellent.
Hensely hitch - You are spending a great deal of money for an Airstream. The Hensley,while expensive, is worth every penny.

The F150 thus equipped will be an excellent tow vehicle as well as extremely competent daily driver. The 3.73 gear does exact a small penalty in mileage, but it is a pitance compared to the benefits.

I use my F150 to tow over the AlCan and am very pleased with the performance.

A note on downhill driving:
1) Never descend in a higher gear than you used to climb the hill.
2) Use the grade to decelorate BEFORE you drop off the downhill.
3) See 2).
4) Never constantly apply the brakes. If your downhill speed is increasing, use a lot of brake then drop a gear. The smell in the air on downhills is from the brakes of drivers going too fast downhill.

Good luck and enjoy.
Max Tow (53C) comes with 3.55:1 e-locker diff, not with 3.73. The 36-gal tank is included with max tow so isn't required as an option.
Max Tow also requires the 3.5 Ecoboost. I think you can get every element of Max Tow as a stand-alone item, the regular 53A tow package doesn't include the 36-gal tank, the trailer-brake controller or the upgraded rear bumper but those are all available as stand-alone options if you prefer the V8.

I'm not certain you can get the 3.73 with a 3.5 Ecoboost unless you order HD Payload (with all the restrictions THAT entails.) In the order guide for '17 on the 3.5 EB the 3.73 was listed only as "Package" availability, not as a stand-alone option. For the V8 it shows that it's available as either a stand-alone option or as part of a package. In any event, with the 10-speed and the Ecoboost I don' think you need the 3.73 unless you want the higher ratio for 4L offroading. It has plenty of torque to pull more than you can realistically set it up to tow on the highway.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Ideal F-150 Spec

Again, everyone--thanks for the help on this. My main takeaway is that the main limiting factor on the F-150 is payload (others will list other shortcomings, of course, but payload seems to be the main one). There are only three ways to overcome this:
  1. Get a bigger truck
  2. Spec fewer options
  3. Get the HD Payload package

The HD Payload package precludes certain trim levels and a bunch of options, and someone mentioned that the range of trims will actually be limited further in 2019. So given the 2018 lineup, it seems the best F-150 I can spec is listed below. Anyone know how I can find the payload #for this configuration? (I'll start combing through the F-150 forums looking for something similar).

Would Ford corporate be able to help (someone in this thread told a story about how they were misled by Ford corporate).

MSRP for this build is $54,480.

2018 Ford F-150 LARIAT
  • SuperCrew®
  • 6-1/2' Box
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
  • Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission with Tow/Haul and Sport Mode
  • 4X4
  • 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio
Blue Jeans

Packages
  • 500A
  • Equipment Group 500A Discount
  • Max Trailer Tow Package
  • Heavy-Duty Payload Package
  • Power Equipment Group

Exterior
  • Tailgate Step with Tailgate Lift Assist
  • Rear Windows - Privacy Glass
  • Rear Windows - Power-Sliding with Privacy Tint and Defroster
  • Rear Windows - Defroster
  • Box Link
  • Extended Range 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Reverse Sensing System
  • Fog Lamps
  • LED Side-Mirror Spotlights
  • LED Box Lighting
  • Power-Folding, PowerScope Telescoping, Power Glass Heated Trailer Tow Mirrors
  • 18-inch Silver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package Wheels
  • 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio
  • LT275/65R18C OWL All-Terrain Tires

Interior
  • Medium Earth Gray
  • Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Floor Liner - Tray Style, Ebony
  • Flooring - Color-coordinated Carpet with Carpeted Matching Floor Mats
  • Pro Trailer Backup Assist
  • Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)
  • Cruise Control
  • SYNC® Connect
  • Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
  • Single-CD Player with SiriusXM® Radio
  • SiriusXM® Radio
  • SYNC® 3
  • Leather-Trimmed 40/20/40 Heated and Ventilated Front Seats