Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arroyo Grande , California
ljmii - thanks for the rich response. We do have a class IV on our Cherokee. We've been towing a Casita but it's 2/3 the weight of the 20'er. We don't usually pack a lot but clearly, it can (will) happen. Really appreciate the input!..RS
Roger S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #42
_

. , .
hi roger s and welcome to the forums...

lots of good posts already written here on towing issues, so read 'em!

check your numbers carefully....

any payload in the jeep'r...

like people, pets, fuel, gear, options, roof rack and so on...

REDUCES the towing capacity....

payload is all the above PLUS the tongue weight....

find the gcwr for the jeep; that is the maximum allowed weight of everything rolling...

then calculate 80% of that figure....

you will be very close if not over payload and that adjusted towing number...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
another mistake?

Well...some will say.... I told you so.....
Out on our second trip....the Yukon pulls great..most of the time.
We're at Manchester Beach in California (a great KOA campsite)
We had to make the highway 128 climb. I think I need more power!
Sitting outside next to our beautiful Airstream, I'm seeing nothing but Ford 250s and 350s.
I think I'm gonna have to take a HUGE loss on my Yukon and trade her in for a truck. Probably a GMC because I'm praying my dealer will work something out. I can't afford another mistake.. GMC 2500 or 3500? Anything wrong with a GMC truck? (only seeing Fords this weekend at the campground)
Help! Tell me what to buy.
Thanks in advance.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #44
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I prefer Ford since it has the best towing setup in my opinion. I would not discount Ford or Dodge. They may be just as eager to deal. I have an F-250 Diesel and it pulls my 31 Classic just fine. My gas 250 did not.
Get a long bed extended or crew cab.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uh.. what makes you want more truck? Hills are hills after all - how often will you be climbing them? How specifically did the Yukon do? Which engine did you get with the 3.73 gears?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #46
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Sitting outside next to our beautiful Airstream, I'm seeing nothing but Ford 250s and 350s.
I think I'm gonna have to take a HUGE loss on my Yukon and trade her in for a truck. Probably a GMC because I'm praying my dealer will work something out. I can't afford another mistake.. GMC 2500 or 3500? Anything wrong with a GMC truck? (only seeing Fords this weekend at the campground)
Thanks in advance.
I would say the Yukon is OK for occasional trips, but as you found out, it is about maxed. Probably within safe weight limits, but not much juice left. If you plan to wander around a bit, a more suitable TV is in order.
My opinion, (worth about the price of a cup of coffee) is that it would be hard to beat the DuraMax/Allison combo. Probably the best towing setup available today for an AS like yours.
We towed for a while with a ½ ton Suburban. Great vehicle, but not really up to towing a 25’er for great distances. Much more relaxed experience with the D/A.
As noted however, you really need to ask yourself how you will use the AS; occasional short trips?
Extended and/or frequent towing?

You might check out our experience and how we got to where we are now; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/02-worth-towing-advice-28886.html#post313803

I don’t regret going with a ¾ ton at all, once you get to 25’ or larger, there is no choice…
BTW, IIRC a 1 ton only gets you more payload (probably not an issue for towing TT’s) and does not get you any more towing capacity than the ¾ ton.

Bill
Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #47
_

. , .
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
it IS uncanny just how many fords are seen in the rv parks and campgrounds of america (and outside the ge'em zone)...

agree with the others
-how much towing and where are you going?
-does the vehicle serve other functions?
-do ya wanna enter 'the diesel zone'?
-trucks really are more versatile unless it is a soccer taxi too....

otoh once ya decide... "i think i need more power!"

well why not?

i've been very happy with the ford. 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
the deciding features for me (along with diesel) were great mirrors and the built in trailer brake controller...

NOW 3 years later ge'em has added a controller,
and improved their mirrors (the fords are still better)
so the decision isn't as obvious.
but has ANYONE used this controller yet? anyone?

ALL the big truck makers are dealing now.
you may get loyality incentives as a repeat customer but ford/dodge can match 'em.
yes it may cost ya some 'trading2soon' cash,
but consdier that there may be a larger a/s in your future too...

then you WILL be really happy with a bigger truck!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Was it a Yukon XL 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. If it was the 1/2 ton, yes you made a boo boo if hills are a part of your normal camping routes, but if it's the 3/4 ton with the 6.0L, it should be fine with the 25 footer, even fully loaded. Keep in mind that unless it's a diesel with gobs and gobs of torque on tap at low RPMs, you will have some lessened performance, even with a 6.0L on mountain and big hills with over 3 1/2 tons of RV behind ya.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up

If you otherwise like the Yukon, go for a big block 2500 Yukon XL. Be real hard for GM not to give you a good deal. If you get a four wheel drive, you can pull out tree stumps in your spare time!! The 2007s should have end of the years savings starting in August. I have used GM truck for pulling for 25 years and always been pleased.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You'll have to find a used one unless you can come across one of last year's models. The 8.1L has been discontinued in the GMC and Chevy versions of the Suburban. Rumors are flying that the 2nd gen Duramax with a beefed up 4L80e that is currently in the 3/4 work van is **suppose** to be making it's way to the Suburban (which means the Yukon XL too at some point) by the 2009 model year. It may have a heck of a price tag, and though it's not the Duramax/Allison combo found in the current pickup line, IMHO this would be the Suburban to have. Best of all worlds.....economy, power and internal space.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've discussed the changes to my dually in a prior post - which basically consisted of reducing the rear axle capacity (---alternate springs) to soften the ride for the Airstream. Aside from that, the added stability (---either "actual" or "perceived") that the dually seems to have is a real joy. Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do all over, I'd probably spring for the dually again, followed by the same modifications to the rear axle capacity.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
When making this decision recently I was swayed by the safety arguments, and chose to get a 3/4 ton pickup truck.

One added benefit of a pickup is generator storage. We're chaining our Yamaha 3000 SEB to the bed.

Our choice was a 2007 Ford F250 diesel with TowCommand, 3.73 rear end, and a WD hitch.

The diesel power is really nice. Our "big dog" F250 chews up inclines and hills. We are taking our Airstream to Yellowstone and beyond this summer.

I can only speak from my own limited experience, but so far the F250 has handled every towing situation thrown at it with aplomb. Having "more truck than you need" is a nice feeling.
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Thanks guys! We just got back from our camp out.
My kid learned how to ride his bike this weekend!
We are total novices when it comes to cars, trucks AND trailers. (I guess I didn't have to tell you this)
The Yukon is a 1/2 ton...(the dealer said it would be plenty)
Here's another dumb question.....we have to back our trailer up a slight hill to get it into our driveway. The Yukon can't cut it....step on the gas and nothing..... turning a relaxing weekend into a stressful situation! I finally got it onto the driveway but this experience along with us having to crawl onto the freeway helps with my decision to get a truck.
The truck's main purpose will be to tow the trailer...don't need it for work.
I'm thinking the GMC 2500 with the Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 with the Allison 1000 6-Spd transmission and the integrated trailer brakecontroller.
Ford 250 still better? Will we still crawl onto the freeway? Be able to back up onto my driveway? Climb hills with no problem? When I bought the trailer the dealer installed the brake controller...will I have to bring it back to the dealer or will it be good to go with the factory installed controller as part of the 7 prong plug that controls the brake and signal lights.
THANKS AGAIN for all your help!....we just wanna have fun with our trailer and boys!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #54

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Fords towing package comes pre wired and with the 7 pin connector. Just not with the integrated controller. You can get the tow command package and that includes the intgrated controller.
drive them both and see how things work out. just remember it will ride sfoter and smoother when towing/loaded.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #55
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
We are total novices when it comes to cars, trucks AND trailers. (I guess I didn't have to tell you this)
Here's another dumb question.....we have to back our trailer up a slight hill to get it into our driveway. The Yukon can't cut it....step on the gas and nothing..... turning a relaxing weekend into a stressful situation! I finally got it onto the driveway but this experience along with us having to crawl onto the freeway helps with my decision to get a truck.
I'm thinking the GMC 2500 with the Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 with the Allison 1000 6-Spd transmission and the integrated trailer brakecontroller.
Ford 250 still better? Will we still crawl onto the freeway? Be able to back up onto my driveway? Climb hills with no problem? When I bought the trailer the dealer installed the brake controller...will I have to bring it back to the dealer or will it be good to go with the factory installed controller as part of the 7 prong plug that controls the brake and signal lights.
THANKS AGAIN for all your help!....we just wanna have fun with our trailer and boys!
I am partial to the GM's,but either is a great truck. You can just plug/pray that Prodigy into either truck (if you don't get the factory brake control).

About getting into your drive; how steep is it?
Are you sure you didn't bottom out the frame rails?
Something doesn't sound right...

You won't regret a 3/4 ton TV.
I bought a junker for around town (32 mpg) and save the Duramax for tow duty. Works great for us...

Good decision on the new TV-and good luck! You are much more likely to rack up lots of adventures with the Boys when you have a proper (safe/comfortable) TV.

Bill
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
4x4!

Quote:
My family and I are also new to this RVing thing and we decided on the new '08 F250 for all the reasons previously mentioned. But what I would also insist on is a 4x4. Didn't think I would need but in the two months we've had our towing package I've used it 3 times now.

We have a campground near our home that we've used twice now to do a mini shake down and to practice using the systems. We live in the mountains and to get to our parking spot you have to go up a hill on a gravel road. Unable to get a running start the back tires want to spin. Stopped on the hill, put her in 4x4 high, and right up the hill we go. (we have a 34' Limited.)

I've also had to use it in some wet grass in another campground we were in.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #57

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you do get a 4X4 be sure to get a limited slip rear end. I have both. Other wise you are only really two wheel drive in four wheel mode.
Be sure to cycle your hubs regularly. I do after every fillup. Otherwise they stick.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
If you do get a 4X4 be sure to get a limited slip rear end. I have both. Other wise you are only really two wheel drive in four wheel mode.
Be sure to cycle your hubs regularly. I do after every fillup. Otherwise they stick.
Yep, been there, done that. My '92 Z71 had an open rear end differential and one time I traversed a ditch. This left me with one tire on the front and the opposite tire on the rear on solid ground. Nothing moved as each tire slightly touching the ground would not get traction. I finally was able to rock her a little to get some traction and move through. My '01 2500hd has a G80 locking rear end which has worked flawlessly.

Does Ford still have a limited slip front end option to match their rear end limited slip?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome to the forums!

I have a 25FB. I can tell you from experiance that a 3/4 is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton.

Be safe and get the right vehicle.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up thats the machine

I'm thinking the GMC 2500 with the Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 with the Allison 1000 6-Spd transmission and the integrated trailer brakecontroller

Well blow us away - thats the primo - Good luck and happy trails
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote