Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Smoke detector false alarms

The smoke detector in my trailer goes off nearly every time I use the oven. I have developed the habit of removing the batteries when I cook.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, any creative solutions?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Every time I make french toast it goes off. It's OK, it wakes Sam up for breakfast. I turn on the MaxxFan next to it and the Fantastic fan by the stove until I'm done cooking.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We moved the alarm a bit further away from the stove and that was the end of the "false" alarms. They aren't really false. The darned things are sensitive enough to detect very small amounts of smoke and vapor from cooking.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Got your basic cheapo shower cap (ours is from a Hilton)? Put it over the smoke detector before cooking. Ours has a "fan pull" on it so we don't forget to remove it.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I'll bet that if you just run the vent fan while the oven is on, this won't happen. It's just doing what it's supposed to do: telling you that there are combustion products in your trailer. 'Course, if you vent the noxious combustion products outside, you'll also lose all that delicious baking cinnamon bun smell. Sheesh! I'd opt for running the fan.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thanks for the replies (keep 'em coming). I do still have a problem even when running the vent fan on the stove hood. Bear in mind that I actually cook and well if you make popovers and run the oven at 475 the range hood is going to have its work cut out for it.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Every time we use the oven the alarm will sound. We try to remove the unit and put it upsiode down on the couch before we warm up the oven. Sometimes we forget and it scares the whatever out of us.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Learn how to use it!

Hi, don't take this wrong because I learned from my own mistake. A co-worker [with an SOB motorhome] and I saw this add for a really great type of smoke detector, so we each bought one. As most people on this forum know, I can't easily gain access to my trailer; I have to hitch-up and pull it forward to open the door and be able to tinker with it. Well, a few months later, I was able to pull my trailer forward to tinker with it and replace the original smoke detector with this new fantastic one that I bought a few months back. Then I felt really stupid, because the one I bought was exactly the same thing that Airstream installed in it when new.

The smoke alarm has two buttons on it. One is for the regular testing of the unit. The one on the inside is called the HUSH BUTTON. This is how it works: (1.) If you know you are going to have burnt toast, then you push the HUSH BUTTON, once and it won't sound the alarm for several minutes, but it will chirp every once in a while for several minutes. (2.) If you do make smoke while cooking and the alarm goes off, you just push the HUSH BUTTON and it will silence the alarm for several minutes. I would have to read the manual to find the actual times and intervals of the HUSH BUTTON operations. When cooking I try to turn on the stove vent fan and open the fantastic fan too. I also put my toaster on the right side of my stove because it is farther away from my smoke detector and less chances of it going off. So you see there is no need to remove the unit, take the battery out of it, or get mad a smash it; Just push the HUSH BUTTON.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote