Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Pop Rivet Failure Count Interior of 2019 27FBQ

Over 17 years, I have replaced interior Pop Rivets with 1/2" length Stainless Steel Lath Screws. I am working out of the original cartons from Lowes. (1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch Lath Screws)

We used all three trailers towing on Interstate Highways and Off the Grid National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management roads. I am an expert towing on Prairie and Mountain back country roads. I have not had tree branches remove our Air Conditioners, Solar Panels or damage the exterior shell. Other than the Compression Indents for the Front Storage compartment. Which I seem to have fixed with... Lath Screws and Aluminum Bars within the interior.

Pop Rivet Replacement Count.

The 23 foot had 14 inch Marathons.
The 25 foot had 16 inch Michelins.
(I never bothered to count Lath Screws used.)

The current 27 foot has a 3 inch Lift and 16 inch Michelins. I did not count the entire number of exposed Pop Rivets, but there are A LOT.

I experiment from 72psi to 80psi Tire Pressures. Some Forum Members use less PSI. I do not go below 72psi. Air is free.

I am going to go back to 80psi and inspect the interior, at the End of this Year, for any additional popped interior rivets.

The Interior Aluminum Skin that uses Pop Rivets attached to the inner aluminum framing, is what I am made a count an hour ago.

Just Pop Rivets that were missing within the Interior. Mostly Off the Grid towing with a 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4. We travel heavy with all supplies needed. We do not have a time frame at any location. It could be one day or one week. It all depends on what we discover in Sedimentary and Igneous rock exposures.

My count as of March 7th, 2023. I wore my reading glasses. I use all ten fingers and ten toes, if needed. And a note pad with pen.

-Bathroom: ONE 1/2" Lath Screw replacing Pop Rivet
-Bedroom: (Queen at Front) ONE 1/2" Lath Screw replacing Pop Rivet.
-Couch area, Hallway Front and Back: ONE Lath Screw replacing Pop Rivet.
-Overhead above Sink" FIVE Lath Screws replacing Pop Rivets.

This will be the beginning of the Fourth Year since purchase in 2019, new off the lot.

Running 72psi to 80psi Michelin inflation. Three inch Lift Kit. Two AC Units on the roof, and the other standard items. Two Solar Panels.

EIGHT Popped Rivets replaced with EIGHT 1/2" Lath Screws, which all were still holding this trailer together. Towing with a F350, said to be Overkill, even though On the Ball... 8 Rivets needed to be Beefed Up. Mooooo....