Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Cover Considerations - Northern New England

My husband and I recently took the plunge and placed an order for a 23 ft International Serenity and expect to take delivery in mid-Spring 2019. We reside in central Vermont, so beyond our first concern (and hope) that we don't have a severe mud season which would delay bringing our new beauty home in the spring, with 2 ft of snow already on the ground this fine Thanksgiving weekend, we've started to think ahead on how we'll store our trailer in winter.

I've perused other threads offering advice regarding the use of covers, but have not seen advice for us folks residing in higher elevations with average snowfalls of 120-150 inches year. In consideration of the deep snow, snow cover for at least 4 months of the year, plus extended periods at or below zero, I'm really inclined to invest in the best cover I can find but I'm open to input from folks far more experienced than we are.
SerenityVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Soft cover?
I would not recommend.
I tried a "soft" one on our 63' Safari and the results were not pretty.
Wind buffeting, and the cover freezing to the surface caused damage, scratches on the windward side, and blemishes where the cover had been frozen to the surface. It took 10yrs of 'patina' to remedy.

As far as weight on the roof...15 Bflo. Winters...no problem so far. 👍
Still looking pretty good.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_110.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	328420   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1eef.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	328421  

Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Covered commercial storage for the winter then at home for the camping season if you have room. That would be cheaper than building a shed.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I live in Colorado and keep mine under covered storage at a commercial RV storage facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	328428  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
I really appreciate the responses so far and the pictures!

We have 12 acres, so space on our farm isnt an issue, just the dirt road, the rutted path that serves as a driveway, and as previously mentioned, snow....lots of snow.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I would seriously consider some type of structure if you have a farm with enough land. I would never store my RV outdoors and I have a place in Warren, VT so I know how it can be up there. You don’t have to go crazy, just a good structure. If you wanted take it up a level, put in a concrete pad, add walls and hookups!
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I live in Northern Vermont. I rent shed space from a local farmer. It’s open on one side, but whatever snow blows in isn’t a big problem. We want to use it this winter and decided to leave it at a campground that offers winter storage in Northern Virginia. It may snow there, but it’s probably not going to be as bad a trying to tow out of Vermont.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
As has already been stated, covers, even high end ones, are not a good idea as they will scratch the Clearcoat when the wind starts blowing. The ideal situation is to get it under cover for the winter but it will be just fine if you can't. While likely not necessary, you could remove some of the snow from the roof if it gets to be too much, but you risk scratching it then as well if you aren't careful. Up here I am just the opposite, I store under cover in the summer/early fall when we are not using it. We are prone to the odd hailstorm and nothing is worse than that for damaging the trailer skin.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I had the same problem in WI. I decided to build a 18x36 Clearly Pole Barn. I could put it in a storage facility. But to get a decent one was about $80 a month. And because I live in a heavy recreational area the space was very limited. Most have small 10x10 doors, and it's hard to find one with 12x12 doors and enough length. Also backing into a 10' wide opening is a bit tricky. Also if you put in a large facility it's hard to get in and out since it can get behind other TTs. Then there is the summer weather. The sun is as hard on the components as the winter. Maybe more so. Also there is the possibility of hail etc. So I just took the plunge and built a pole barn with a 12x12 door and 14' sidewalls. I can put all the camping equipment etc in one place, and clear out my garage. I can keep things plugged in without having to take the batteries in and out. I can monitor it on a regular basis for mice, etc. And in the summer when it is hot, the cabin doesn't get so hot.

Over the years I'll save the storage costs and I will have something that has some resalable value. There are tons of people that need space for boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. It's amazing how many people don't park their cars in the garage and have all their other stuff in the garage. If I get rid of the AS I can rent it for storage myself.

Then next year I will probably insulate it. Last year I had to winterize it after we got back from a trip. Big hassle. If I just had the insulation I wouldn't have had to do it. Would have kept it above freezing.

If you have good storage around you I'd go that route. Do not put a cover over it. This was my solution and everyone else has their own reasons for when and where. You have lots of land so you have an advantage over suburban dwellers
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The longest Airstream that was not a railroad model was about 34' long (a tri-axle). The current models 23' and below are 8' wide while 25' and longer are 8' 5.5" wide. So my suggestion is a building with a 12' wide door and 12' high. I would build it 40' long just in case the "two foot itis" disease shows up down the road. You will future proofed your Airstream shed!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Covered!

All very good ideas in the above posts! Especially about not using a soft cover. One more point about them is that they tend to hold moisture in whatever is covered. To keep it as pristine as possible for as long as possible it needs to be kept completely out of the sun and rain! A small pole building or kit shed just big enough for it and some “stuff” would be ideal. Next best option is a carport type structure. This will keep the rain off and most of the sun with plenty of air to keep things dry. Also much cheaper. Make sure it is strong enough for the snow load. Concrete floor would be great also but dirt is ok if you prevent any grass from growing under or around it. One more thing to help interior parts from separating or cracking is to keep a small, maybe 1000 watt, heater going in it. Some folks with classic cars will keep an “old style” light bulb going inside all winter. May take a string of six or so in that big of a space. Just some ideas!

Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Boise , Idaho
I keep our 25 RB Serenity in a covered, metal enclosed shop with concrete floor, finished walls with power and heat. I don't usually have the heat on as it stays around 40 degrees even when it's 0 outside. I think storing this way will lengthen how long the seals last as they aren't covered with snow and ice and then hit with 100 degree heat in the summer. Our shop is part of a complex of around 80 units, most of which are 20x50 with a 14 foot tall/wide door. This works well for the SS Serenity and if we ever change will fit pretty much anything we decide to put in there. We also have a security gate and video cameras to lesson any vandalism. This works well for us.
Star Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
If you're worried about it freezing in the winter, then are you not also worried about it cooking in the summer? And what about insects, critters, condensation, UV damage, dirt, grime, etc? I keep mine in secure indoor storage and plugged in.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityVT View Post
My husband and I recently took the plunge and placed an order for a 23 ft International Serenity and expect to take delivery in mid-Spring 2019. We reside in central Vermont, so beyond our first concern (and hope) that we don't have a severe mud season which would delay bringing our new beauty home in the spring, with 2 ft of snow already on the ground this fine Thanksgiving weekend, we've started to think ahead on how we'll store our trailer in winter.

I've perused other threads offering advice regarding the use of covers, but have not seen advice for us folks residing in higher elevations with average snowfalls of 120-150 inches year. In consideration of the deep snow, snow cover for at least 4 months of the year, plus extended periods at or below zero, I'm really inclined to invest in the best cover I can find but I'm open to input from folks far more experienced than we are.

Indoor storage tends to be the solution used by fellow members of the Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club (of WBCCI) who are in Vermont. I’m in coastal Maine and am trying indoor storage (unheated) this winter for the first time. Prior to this year, I owned a house with a driveway where I could store my 2007 20-ft Safari outdoors. I sold the house this summer in preparation for retirement, and am now renting. I have always shied away from using a cover on my Airstream because of the uniform advice that covers scratch the aluminum surface. I have no doubt that this is true, because it takes very little abrasion to cause scratches.

Incidentally, our Airstream club will have a luncheon in Vermont on December 15. If you are interested in meeting fellow Airstream owners, most of whom live in Vermont, please private message me, and I will give you the information.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Neenah , Wisconsin
I live in Central Wisconsin with snowfall around 160 to 200 every year. If you can find indoor heated that is the best. Even build your own. Take a look at this facility for an idea. https://jazstorage.com/
Jsphziem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityVT View Post
I really appreciate the responses so far and the pictures!

We have 12 acres, so space on our farm isnt an issue, just the dirt road, the rutted path that serves as a driveway, and as previously mentioned, snow....lots of snow.

Greetings SerenityVT,

Having used several different commercial storage options over the past ten years for our RVs & now our Airstream, from:

- sitting out in the open air, on grass
- sitting out in the open air, on gravel
- inside a brick warehouse (vented, but no a/c), on concrete
- underneath a metal building with open front & back ends, on gravel with 110v power

…..varying in price from $30 per month, out ‘in the open air’, on a military base….. to $240 per month in the brick warehouse, w/o power, in a medium-size metropolitan area.

As many have already noted above, the SUN is much harsher on your Airstream in late Spring, Summer and early Fall, than your concerns about the Winter months.

And sitting on grass, dirt or gravel with open ends or sides on a building, create additional challenges with mice, snakes and ants as well.

If money was not a limiting factor, I would build a ‘roomy’ metal building (able to house the largest RV you ‘might’ someday upgrade to… as we NEVER dreamed that we would have owned 5 Class A RVs and now an Airstream, over the past 10 years…..lol)….. on a concrete pad, with insulation, and 30/50 amp power (water & sewer would even be better).

And if you all plan to keep/use your Airstream for 15 - 20 years, you could eventually re-coup most, or even all, of the money used to build your metal storage building, when you figure the cost for:

- year round covered storage rent;
- and it often costs more for an electricity option;
- winterizing your Airstream each year;
- your fuel costs & your time to drive back-n-forth to the storage facility over the years;
- dealing with maintaining your Airstream ‘battery health’;
- and there’s huge value in the convenience of your Airstream being located on your own property when prepping for trips and upon returning;
- as well as no longer being exposed to ‘potential’ theft, vandalism or ‘maneuver damage’ from a neighboring RV, that ‘could’ occur at a commercial storage facility;
- and I'm sure that I am forgetting something here ?!

Plus, with it located on your property with power, it could allow your Airstream to be used for “temporary lodging” for family or friends staying at the farm, if ever needed, or for yourselves, if your farm is not co-located with your current house (??).

Not sure if it’s cost-prohibitive for you all to ‘consider’ improving your driveway on the farm or not….. in order to better access the metal building (you might build) year-round…..

Either way, IMHO, you’re in a great situation here with the farm and 12 acres, as most of us non-fulltimers still owning houses in urban & suburban America, don’t even have the option to build an ‘Airstream barn’ because of lack of space on our residential lot, covenants, restrictions & HOAs and/or county building ordinances, etc, etc.

And as someone mentioned above, it adds value to your property and you could ‘re-purpose’ or rent it in the future, if you ever had to sell your Airstream.

Good luck with your decision….. and congrats on that new inbound Airstream!

wv

Old 11-25-2018, 04:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
I live in Northern Vermont. I rent shed space from a local farmer. It’s open on one side, but whatever snow blows in isn’t a big problem. We want to use it this winter and decided to leave it at a campground that offers winter storage in Northern Virginia. It may snow there, but it’s probably not going to be as bad a trying to tow out of Vermont.
Good to get such a variety of input on my question and particularly from some Vermonters.

Since starting this thread, I've made some contacts regarding indoor storage options. The State Fairground in Rutland is the most viable and closest. Upside is the very low cost, downside is once our TT is locked inside late fall, it's there until the buildings open for spring.

Based on advice here,may pursue something like this for the first year if no better options surface. Since we are already 'investing' in laying sure pack down to make some semblance of a driveway to get the Airstream 'home', plus a gravel parking pad, the an enclosure may need to wait a season. Already have 6 trips planned for next summer .
Old 11-26-2018, 04:31 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
If you're worried about it freezing in the winter, then are you not also worried about it cooking in the summer? And what about insects, critters, condensation, UV damage, dirt, grime, etc? I keep mine in secure indoor storage and plugged in.
Hi,

Not so worried about heat and sun at this point. We will be on the road a good bit from June through September. My mountain top farm sits in the Green Mountain National forest. We will park the TT in partial sun. We usually get maybe a dozen days a year that I consider hot enough for AC in our cabin.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Newfane , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv2017 View Post
Greetings SerenityVT,

Having used several different commercial storage options over the past ten years for our RVs & now our Airstream, from:

- sitting out in the open air, on grass
- sitting out in the open air, on gravel
- inside a brick warehouse (vented, but no a/c), on concrete
- underneath a metal building with open front & back ends, on gravel with 110v power

…..varying in price from $30 per month, out ‘in the open air’, on a military base….. to $240 per month in the brick warehouse, w/o power, in a medium-size metropolitan area.

As many have already noted above, the SUN is much harsher on your Airstream in late Spring, Summer and early Fall, than your concerns about the Winter months.

And sitting on grass, dirt or gravel with open ends or sides on a building, create additional challenges with mice, snakes and ants as well.

If money was not a limiting factor, I would build a ‘roomy’ metal building (able to house the largest RV you ‘might’ someday upgrade to… as we NEVER dreamed that we would have owned 5 Class A RVs and now an Airstream, over the past 10 years…..lol)….. on a concrete pad, with insulation, and 30/50 amp power (water & sewer would even be better).

And if you all plan to keep/use your Airstream for 15 - 20 years, you could eventually re-coup most, or even all, of the money used to build your metal storage building, when you figure the cost for:

- year round covered storage rent;
- and it often costs more for an electricity option;
- winterizing your Airstream each year;
- your fuel costs & your time to drive back-n-forth to the storage facility over the years;
- dealing with maintaining your Airstream ‘battery health’;
- and there’s huge value in the convenience of your Airstream being located on your own property when prepping for trips and upon returning;
- as well as no longer being exposed to ‘potential’ theft, vandalism or ‘maneuver damage’ from a neighboring RV, that ‘could’ occur at a commercial storage facility;
- and I'm sure that I am forgetting something here ?!

Plus, with it located on your property with power, it could allow your Airstream to be used for “temporary lodging” for family or friends staying at the farm, if ever needed, or for yourselves, if your farm is not co-located with your current house (??).

Not sure if it’s cost-prohibitive for you all to ‘consider’ improving your driveway on the farm or not….. in order to better access the metal building (you might build) year-round…..

Either way, IMHO, you’re in a great situation here with the farm and 12 acres, as most of us non-fulltimers still owning houses in urban & suburban America, don’t even have the option to build an ‘Airstream barn’ because of lack of space on our residential lot, covenants, restrictions & HOAs and/or county building ordinances, etc, etc.

And as someone mentioned above, it adds value to your property and you could ‘re-purpose’ or rent it in the future, if you ever had to sell your Airstream.

Good luck with your decision….. and congrats on that new inbound Airstream!

wv

Thanks for the great advice!
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I remember driving from Detroit to ski killington one year and it was thanksgiving. It rained all the way to Rutland. But had been snowing at killington and we skied powder
Good luck with your storage.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote