Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #1

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Home RV pad with hookups considerations?

I currently park my airstream at my house but would like to install regular RV pad hookups - 30 amp, water, sewer. What considerations should I be thinking about? Does the sewer line need a trap? Do RV stores have the parts for the sewer? I assume my electrician can handle the 30 amp box.

Thanks for the help.
aomastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ome-30195.html

finally found a great post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, need to consider city building codes; May not be permitted?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
If you can do it, a real good deal. Ypu will have a place to go to when you are looking for "peace and quiet", a guest house, savings from parking in a storage facility, and a better resale for uour home - another RVer will want to buy. I sure wish I could do this - but I am in a condo.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I don't see how the city could stop you. You are just adding an additional electrical outlet and water spigot. That sewer connection? Dang, sewer line got clogged and the contractor had to add that. They needed a "clean out" to provide better access in case that happens again.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums; we're glad to have you with us.

We have done home hook-ups for Lucy (our 25FB) twice now. Once at our house in Santa Rosa Beach, and again at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville. In both instances, we had a professional electrician add an RV 30 amp dedicated circuit in the garage reachable from Lucy's parking space. The cable TV connection was easily accomplished with 100' of coax to the outside cable television box. Water from a nearby hose bibb was also easy.

The sewer drop connection was a little more challenging. At first we used the standard slinky connection in Jacksonville to the sewer clean-out behind the house. The run from Lucy to the clean-out is about 50 feet and slightly upgrade. This worked OK, but the final clearing of the slinky provided the much needed exercise of having to lift the slinky all the way down the line many times.

Then we found the Sewer Solution, and tried it after it was recommended by one of the guys at Camping World. He told us that this system can easily handle a reasonable upgrade draining situation. It was a little pricey, but not too bad (about $100 for the basic unit and $20 for 10' hose sections) especially considering that most slinkies have a relatively short life expectancy. We first tried the Sewer Solution in Jacksonville using 4 hose sections supplemented with a 10' section of 1' pvc. Boy, did this work great, even with the 2 foot upgrade to the sewer clean-out.

This draining system worked so well that we now use it exclusively everywhere we go. We also have a Sewer Solution set up at our house in Santa Rosa Beach. This is a 70' run to the clean-out. We use 40' of Sewer Solution flex hose coupled with a 30' run of pvc. We always used to arrive home with empty grey and black tanks. Now it doesn't matter.

We have used this system for almost 2 years now, and it has worked flawlessly for hundreds of tank drains.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Guest house idea is the greatest, need to get a tv hook up so I can send hubby and the dog there!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomastu View Post
I currently park my airstream at my house but would like to install regular RV pad hookups - 30 amp, water, sewer. What considerations should I be thinking about? Does the sewer line need a trap? Do RV stores have the parts for the sewer? I assume my electrician can handle the 30 amp box.

Thanks for the help.
Great idea, I have always refered to our Airstream as the Aluminum Mother in Law Suite. The electric part is easier that I thought, the hard part was buring the cable in conduit. I purchased the receptable at Camping World, installed it where I wanted to plug in and started from there. I went to Home Depot and they had a mock up of the breaker box. Installing the breaker was pretty anti-climactic. Main off, install breaker, Main on.

Having the 30 amp service is pretty cool. Have not added sewer yet, that would be awesome. Good luck.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I have a full hook-up beside my house. When I had the pad constructed I decided to put a dump station in before my concrete man poured the concrete. I broke a hole in the foundation at the proper height and tapped into the sewer pipe under my center bathroom (which is on the outside wall adjacent to the RV pad). I did all the work myself. With the plastic pipe it wasn't rocket science. If you do it yourself you'll want to be sure of the proper slope on the entire run of pipe. This means not having too much slope as well as too little. If memory serves me, I think I have about 1/8" per foot of drop. My run is approximately 25 ft. Also, I had the concrete man "dish" the sewer inlet so I wouldn't have spillage problems. I use a screw-in 3" plastic plug with some holes drilled in it so rainwater will drain through it. This works pretty well except when leaves or other debris collect in the dish.

I opted to have the dedicated electrical outlets installed by a pro. I have both 30 amp and conventional 20 amp weather resistant outlets. As a precaution I built a little aluminum "shed" to cover both outlets. It just drops into a groove above the outlets and gives a bit of added weather protection.

I have two close-by water outlets but I usually use the on board water and place a pitcher of drinking water in the trailer when we have guests.

I've never used my TV cable in the trailer at home but the feed to my house is only about 15 feet from the trailer cable fitting.

Since the installation in 1999, I've had no problems at all. It is a wonderful guest house!

Gene
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #10

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Not a violation of the homeowner's ordinance

My wife and I joke that in our South Austin neighborhood, a trailer in the front yard is not a violation of the HOA ordinance. It is a room addition. In our neighborhood, it is often the nicest room of the house. I know that ours will be the costliest by price per sqft.

HA
Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Gail.

Your funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
Guest house idea is the greatest, need to get a tv hook up so I can send hubby and the dog there!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Bob wins the prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, need to consider city building codes; May not be permitted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I don't see how the city could stop you. ...
Depending on your locale, the city might think you are attempting to add another residence to your single-family lot. I ran into problems when I wanted to build a shop in the backyard with a sink to wash my hands.

I "forgot" to chat with the City Inspector when Mount Airstream was constructed... :

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I don't see how the city could stop you. You are just adding an additional electrical outlet and water spigot. That sewer connection? Dang, sewer line got clogged and the contractor had to add that. They needed a "clean out" to provide better access in case that happens again.
it's not necessarily the city that would have any say.. depending on where you live, like a sub-division or the like, it could be against regulations of the lot. although i think it's a great idea.
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomastu View Post
My wife and I joke that in our South Austin neighborhood, a trailer in the front yard is not a violation of the HOA ordinance. It is a room addition. In our neighborhood, it is often the nicest room of the house. I know that ours will be the costliest by price per sqft.

HA
I live in south Austin too !
You will love having your Airstream so close to home.
After losing my spot at Shady Grove RV Park, [sniff] one of the main search criteria for my new place was to have enough room to park my buggy too. Works perfectly as guest room, cabana and getaway at home. Ran a dedicated 30 amp electrical service, plus an extra 110 outlet for party lights and pathway lighting. Researched tapping into the house sewer line; way too costly for my needs. I just keep a Texas State Parks Pass and dump at McKinney Falls as needed. I would recommend oversizing your pad. When I set up a ladder for maintenance, I always wish I had widened the pad two extra feet.
Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050047.JPG
Views:	1103
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	73408  
90345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We love having the Bambi next to the garage under the Bambi port...with it's dedicated 30 amp shore line, cable and even dump capabilities into our sewer line via the clean-out (and about 20' of dump hose)... It makes a great get-away, extra frig and cooking facilities when needed (like Thanksgiving or Christmas) and it's so much less hassle when getting ready for a trip... Do it if you can swing it!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #16

1994 34' Excella
Wytheville , Virginia
Home Huckup

If you live in the city I can't be much help on the sewer hookup. here in VA i have the perfect setup in my back yard (septic tank).

Sewer--The septic tank as used here has two concrete hatches on the top. I made a hatch with a short 4 in. dia.. section of plastic pipe through the hatch. Then replaced the original with the new one and ran 4in. pipe in a ditch to where I wanted my dump station about 4 ft. away from the hook up on the A/S. Built a concrete box around the end of the pipe that has a threaded fitting for a plug at the dump end. Didn't put a trap in, did set the drop at 1 in in four feet. (&^%& won't flow up hill.)

Electricity---Ran a dedicated 30 A circuit at the same time I built the dump station. Put a 30 A "camper box " on a pole next to the dump station. Buried the electric and T V in the ditch with the pipe.

Water--- the out side hose bib on the garage is about 30 ft. away.

All the material came from Lowe's

Vita est breves

jerrold
jerrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal , Arkansas
We park our TT by our house too. We have a dedicated 30 amp circuit and water within a few feet. I pull the trailer a mile to a Corps of Engineer campground to dump. It works great both as a retreat and guesthouse.

We've kept a log/guest book and have asked everyone who has stayed to sign. We've been delighted with how often the trailer has been used and how much our guests and family have enjoyed it. Also, it's our "lifeboat" when power goes out. I fire up two Honda EU 2000's and we have heat/ac, hot water, and a comfy place to stay until shore power comes back. A million uses and counting.
zzlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Backyard Airstream

We have our AS rigged up under a full cover in the backyard. I just ran a 10/3 ga. elec. cable from my workshop for the 30 amp. and a water hose for the FW hook up. I'll probably pipe the water closer later. For the sewage dump I am in the process of installing a basin to dump the black and gray water into, then pump into the sewer line with a macerator pump, through a 2" pvc line. You find the pumps on ebay for about $100. With the pump set up you don't have to worry about gravity flow. It's really a pretty simple hookup.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums; we're glad to have you with us.

We have done home hook-ups for Lucy (our 25FB) twice now. Once at our house in Santa Rosa Beach, and again at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville. In both instances, we had a professional electrician add an RV 30 amp dedicated circuit in the garage reachable from Lucy's parking space. The cable TV connection was easily accomplished with 100' of coax to the outside cable television box. Water from a nearby hose bibb was also easy.

The sewer drop connection was a little more challenging. At first we used the standard slinky connection in Jacksonville to the sewer clean-out behind the house. The run from Lucy to the clean-out is about 50 feet and slightly upgrade. This worked OK, but the final clearing of the slinky provided the much needed exercise of having to lift the slinky all the way down the line many times.

Then we found the Sewer Solution, and tried it after it was recommended by one of the guys at Camping World. He told us that this system can easily handle a reasonable upgrade draining situation. It was a little pricey, but not too bad (about $100 for the basic unit and $20 for 10' hose sections) especially considering that most slinkies have a relatively short life expectancy. We first tried the Sewer Solution in Jacksonville using 4 hose sections supplemented with a 10' section of 1' pvc. Boy, did this work great, even with the 2 foot upgrade to the sewer clean-out.

This draining system worked so well that we now use it exclusively everywhere we go. We also have a Sewer Solution set up at our house in Santa Rosa Beach. This is a 70' run to the clean-out. We use 40' of Sewer Solution flex hose coupled with a 30' run of pvc. We always used to arrive home with empty grey and black tanks. Now it doesn't matter.

We have used this system for almost 2 years now, and it has worked flawlessly for hundreds of tank drains.

Brian
I just ordered an new airstream and want to get the setup you describe above at my house. I also live in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Can you give me the name of the folks you used to install the hook-ups?
Drennanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You might want to send Moosetags a PM, as this thread is really old and he may not be monitoring it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hookup, rv pad