Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lynx Levelers aka Legos

I use TWO sets of TEN leveling blocks. They interlock and TEN are the most I would ever use in the past, but finding a $5 bill blowing in the grass as a super wind fall, we went for 20.

I also like to use a 2" x 10" x 10" blocks, or 12", but a couple of 1" thick one on top and the other at the bottom will work. The 1" thick boards will split sooner than later, so go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask to go through their SCRAP TRASH can. My 12" x 2" thick boards were scrap they cut off a longer board for someone for FREE. Trash is good. If you need to buy a pair... find $5 blowing around the lot at Walmart, go for it.

I gave out last ones with the 25 foot International when we sold it. The 1" thick I had do not cut it... the bottom one will split due to uneven ground. The 2" are the best.

You sandwich the leveling blocks like a peanut butter sandwich.

I slide the stack under the Power Jack BEFORE detaching. The jack only needs to go a short distance to detach and a short distance to be LEVELED. If I can do it... your Dog can do it. Our Heelers watch and supervise.

The Lynx were bought by Nancy on the Internet www.lynxlevelers.com priced for $39.95. Nancy may have bought them at WalMart. They have a handle that holds the ten blocks as a group and very handy. Maybe $20 for the levelers and $19.95 for liability insurance since people have weird uses outside of trailer, kind of thing. They come in a blue carrying bag. You can use it as a HAT if your head is a CUBE... just getting your attention.

I use them for stacking under the JACK. I use them for Side to Side. You can put one under your leveling jacks. You can keep the trailer attached and level side to side. You can keep the trailer attached, add two or three to lift the front, as well. Any more you are best to detach and get out the CHOCKS to keep the trailer from rolling away into the Forest.

You can get 12 to 16 in the rear storage. Ten for sure with room to spare.

Better yet. Get a stack of 2" thick lumber and get it for FREE. Woodsy color looks chic in the Forest.

They are not slippery. Flimsy. Crush... but can break or crack if on a rock. Come on... I have used them for 14 years and they have been places most of you never want to get close...

I now have orange and yellow ones. Each use a different pattern, so I cannot mix. If you need 20... get the same brand so they fit together. I had the yellow and no idea from where... Nancy bought orange. All work just fine.

Mix and Match on the Side to Side. Just stack the same blocks together.

The boat in Mina, Nevada was level and out of water. Imagine that.

Tent is level. I have tent camped on the side of Mount Antero, Colorado and by morning sliding out the front entry... No kidding. With two dogs. It is over 14,000 feet high. That are a lot of legos... trust me.

Shop around. Get some lumber. Get leveling bubble units for a couple bucks each and attach one for Front to Back level, and the other for Left to Right Level. Mine measure 3.75 inches by 1.25 inches. YOU do not need the giant ones for those who cannot see well. They have some big BALL in it. Get the one with the green or clear liquid with the bubble. It works just fine. The green will turn clear after some years.

Any questions? Any additional comments? Are we happy? Yep... Life sucks when sleeping in a trailer when you find yourself sliding onto the floor by morning because one end is off by 12 inches.

Added: Drive onto one, two and up to the level you want. If more than FOUR... move to some other spot if possible. Take the ones driven over and add as you go. Determine how far you need to go to get level. You do not want to be adding levelers and be in some other part of the camp ground. See the last photo...

To get off, go four to three... ahhhh... I see. You are catching on. Now... go camping and enjoy yourself. I am on the level... trust me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0116.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	376225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	376226  

Name:	DSCN0085.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	376227   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5156.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	376228  

Name:	DSCN5390.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	376229  
Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Options with THREE INCH LIFT KIT

I note a question about having a three inch lift and leveling... The tires are still on the ground. IT is the trailer body that is elevated. The Power Jack is three inches higher, and have 16 inch Michelins, so a bit more... lumber and levelers. Using the 12" x 2" thick lumber will make it very stable.

You can FLIP the hitch to prevent it dragging... with or without the lift kit. You will have to readjust your Hitch for the additional height. Takes some odd MM sockets and a torque wrench with a long handle. But... with five washers things seem to be hanging in there...

We also have two Blue Heelers. Having a PetStep that folds into 36 inches by 17 inches wide and foldouts out to 72 inches so our oldest Heeler can easily walk in and out of the taller trailer door entry. It rests upon the top step.

The PetStep is also used so the older Heeler, with help with a push up from the rear end... up into the Pet Porter in on the back seat of the TALL F350 door and seat. Folds up and put into the back of the tailgate when traveling.

A Lift Kit is wonderful. Three inches may seem like a FOOT but it is not that big a deal. The change you will notice FIRST... is the FIRST STEP. It does make a difference. Adding a step stool helps. We use the PetStep ourselves and put the step stool underneath the hinge to keep from damaging the step. It adds strength to the center folding area.

Big Plus: You may not hit your head on the open windows on the late model Airstreams that flip out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0230.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	376240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0399.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	376241  

Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
< Snip...> I am on the level... trust me.
That's a pretty straight forward statement, I never thought you could be bending the truth. You certainly wouldn't throw us a curve ball or take a topic on a tangent. I'm not trying to go sideways here, just trying to see what twists and turns are weaved through the straight and narrow path you would have us follow.

Since the world is flat why do we need leveling blocks anyway, wait a second, I need to get that $5.- bill laying there, OK, I'm good.

Thanks for straightening this out.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ed... I pitched SIDE ARM Right Handed... fast pitches in Little League. They appeared to be aimed at the Batter when coming their way The Catcher was on the Level whispering to the Batter the NEXT Pitch was going to hit his... well, lets say knee to be polite.

Lots of strike outs. Smart Catcher, I say. I liked to be known to be a 'sporadic wild pitcher', at times. Just do not stare at THIS pitcher... kind of stuff.

I am just having some fun explaining how I manage to keep our Airstream on the Straight and Narrow. The extra 3" of lift and 16 inch tires do not affect wind shear or stability. Do not believe me... Anyone can hop into the passenger seat and I will... show you a good time and demonstrate on the Durango to Ouray, Colorado 550 Highway. I love challenges.

I also like the threads where 16 inch Load Range E Michelins will pop interior rivets. I popped them with C Rated Goodyear Marathons in the 23 foot Safari. The flimsiest tires with or without air in them.

Finding the $5 was at Cedar Breaks, Utah. I gave the GPS coordinates in a Boondocking Post. If you can give me the Serial NUMBER on the Bill... it was spent today. There was a Utah Archery target area set up and I figured it was from one of those guys after they left.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Discovered the: Do Not Do List.... was on the inside of the top flap. See... lawyers are everywhere.

Confirms my sanity when discussing subjects that I pretend to own, drive or actually use. This is real. Who can afford an Airstream, yet complain about the price of a stack of ten pieces of plastic that cost $1 for materials and the rest is to take this glob... make it into something that may be of some use.

Much like aluminum. Had Airstreams been made of Gold... you would be could retire today. Maybe in the near future, aluminum may be a precious metal. Good for all of us.

Now go do something productive today. We did and this is my reward...

First point no more than FIVE stacked... I agree. Some of the others we may want to debate... Lets have some fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	376244  
Old 08-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Ray, I understand.

What's really funny about that is I was a catcher through LL & high-school but none of the guys I caught for had anything that really moved. You side-winders made me look bad, well that's my story. We were in the division so the rich kids had a sure win in their schedule. A beaner was a beaner and a shot at the 'knees' or there-a-bouts was, what it was.

I love reading your posts/perspectives and couldn't help being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the lego thing. No way I could resist, besides being cooped up is starting to ... leave it there.

Over the years I've seen some interesting builds with the orange, yellow, home-made, etc. levelers and by the time they get to the second 10 stack I usually just get a chair, something to drink, and wait for the SO to bring snacks. (I reciprocate later.)

Our newer AS is still going through it's infancy and obligatory improvements and this time the 3" lift kit is a strong maybe. I don't think I can do that kind of work on my own anymore, something about birthdays, but the want is greater than the need.

My SO says dinner is ready...attendance is mandatory
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I was at the Fort Wolters Helicopter Flight School in 1969 3rd WOC. Outside the metropolis of Mineral Wells, Texas. When you are nineteen you have good eyesight. Buzzing around the area when the jet fighters in training came through from Oklahoma just above 1,000 feet to get our... attention.

You do not need leveling blocks if you live near there.

Much like leveling blocks... I had one pitch... FAST and would do a change up where the batter would nearly fall over trying to swing, once or twice by the time the ball showed up. Those were hard to throw... we had Cry Baby Ballard who would bean few batters and start crying if they called him Cry Baby Ballard. Oh... boy do I miss those days.

We need more stuff to discuss. Most should be practical, but if not... interesting?

I coached two Powderpuff teams each daughter played and the game is no longer the same. You have to be polite, let everyone hit the ball and if the score is 25 to 0... you had to be... nicer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6db347c3-2ab1-85b9-cf08-46034246a614.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	376245  
Old 08-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Can also use them for other purposes.

Platform for outdoor shower.

Name:	IMG_4652.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	376356

Also useful as a highly adjustable step. Unfortunately, a shallower step using just a single depth of Lego is just not stable.

Name:	IMG_4654.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	376357

I also made a long strip to keep a single level of blocks in line when I do use them for their intended purpose.

Name:	IMG_4653.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	716.2 KB
ID:	376358

1/2” or 5/8” plywood for a seamless flat surface and a 3” hole saw.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Can also use them for other purposes.

Platform for outdoor shower.

Attachment 376356

Also useful as a highly adjustable step. Unfortunately, a shallower step using just a single depth of Lego is just not stable.

Attachment 376357

I also made a long strip to keep a single level of blocks in line when I do use them for their intended purpose.

Attachment 376358

1/2” or 5/8” plywood for a seamless flat surface and a 3” hole saw.

Greg

Brilliant!!
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Good idea to use a piece of 2 x 12 on top of the Lynx blocks, maybe on the bottom, too.. When we stayed in New Hampton, IA (Boy Scout RV park), we forgot how the black, Iowa earth gets pretty fluffy after a rainfall.
Setting up, we had three 'Legos' under the jack foot and during the leveling process, the stack began to tilt into the ground just enough for the foot to slide off and into the soft earth.
No damage, but a good lesson that chocks move on wet grass, metal's slippery on plastic and scrap lumber's not just for kindling.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #11

2019 25' Globetrotter
Laporte , Pennsylvania
Brilliant
perfectcosmo is offline   Reply With Quote