Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
1992 Excella Dead Power Jack question

Hello all. First post here. I am going to pick up a 1992 34 ft excella 1000 tomorrow morning. I feel I am getting a really good deal on it for 14k. New tires and very clean exterior. Interior appears to be mostly original. Previous owner says the power jack battery is dead and my main question is what is the best way to manually adjust the jack for hauling home? I have searched this forum and google searches but haven’t seen anything specific for this year power jack(assuming it is original).

I was thinking I would just bring floor jack and jack up under frame to get attached to hitch, but the issue is lowering the jack so I can drive and tow it…. Any help and/or information would be much appreciated. This will be our first airstream!
Adventure TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If it's just a dead battery the best answer is to bring a new battery with you, or buy one on the way to the trailer.

The same battery that powers the jack also powers the breakaway braking system. To pull it home you will need a battery.

If it's the original jack, and for some reason a new battery doesn't work, you can hand crank the jack. Hopefully the seller still has the crank handle. The process is to remove the jack head and then insert the handle. I can snap a picture of the instructions if you confirm it is the original type of jack.

If it's not the original you'll have to research the particular model.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you need a fully charged battery to legally tow the trailer. On my 1988 models you can take the jack head cover off and crank the jack with a rachet and socket. Maybe you could use a driver-drill. I forget the specifics but I tried mine once to see if I could if I had to and it worked.

I posted under your other post. But yes, $14,000 in todays market sounds very good.

Welcome to your new hobby. Airstream repair and upkeep.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If it's just a dead battery the best answer is to bring a new battery with you, or buy one on the way to the trailer.

The same battery that powers the jack also powers the breakaway braking system. To pull it home you will need a battery.

If it's the original jack, and for some reason a new battery doesn't work, you can hand crank the jack. Hopefully the seller still has the crank handle. The process is to remove the jack head and then insert the handle. I can snap a picture of the instructions if you confirm it is the original type of jack.

If it's not the original you'll have to research the particular model.
Thanks. Is it a standard size 12volt car battery? From what I have been reading I thought there were two batteries? Would both need to be replaced or is the power jack and breakaway system handled by just one of the 2 batteries? Thanks for reply!
Old 09-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Yes, you need a fully charged battery to legally tow the trailer. On my 1988 models you can take the jack head cover off and crank the jack with a rachet and socket. Maybe you could use a driver-drill. I forget the specifics but I tried mine once to see if I could if I had to and it worked.

I posted under your other post. But yes, $14,000 in todays market sounds very good.

Welcome to your new hobby. Airstream repair and upkeep.
Thanks. I thought $14,000 was a good price for it. I see it as a project. Wife is on board. I just don’t want it to be a complete money pit. LOL. I
Old 09-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure TN View Post
Thanks. Is it a standard size 12volt car battery? From what I have been reading I thought there were two batteries? Would both need to be replaced or is the power jack and breakaway system handled by just one of the 2 batteries? Thanks for reply!
One should do for the ride home and to get the jack moving, if that's the only problem. If the trailer has two now and you're only using one you'll need to securely insulate and wrap the other positive battery cable end so it doesn't contact anything which it could short against. That would let out the smoke. You should remove both batteries, even if you're just going to use one, but the extra positive cable needs to be secured.

It will be a deep cycle battery, not a car battery. Walmart will likely have something that will work, but you need to find out the proper size. You might find that information in the manual (Available on airstream.com in the owner's section) or possibly someone on this forum can tell you.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
One should do for the ride home and to get the jack moving, if that's the only problem. If the trailer has two now and you're only using one you'll need to securely insulate and wrap the other positive battery cable end so it doesn't contact anything which it could short against. That would let out the smoke. You should remove both batteries, even if you're just going to use one, but the extra positive cable needs to be secured.

It will be a deep cycle battery, not a car battery. Walmart will likely have something that will work, but you need to find out the proper size. You might find that information in the manual (Available on airstream.com in the owner's section) or possibly someone on this forum can tell you.

Ok, that's great info. Glad to know I can probably get by with just one battery. I am in the process of looking through the 200+ page owners manual now.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota

My former 1990 34’ Excella had two batteries, and I’m pretty sure a ‘92 does as well. I don’t remember the size. I did think wet maintenance batteries were a bit of a PITA, so I would advise maintenance free Deep Cycle or AGMs. The separate battery boxes are accessed from the exterior on the front of the trailer. You have to slide them in and out for maintenance. You will find the positive and negative top post style connections in each battery box. With top posts it was easy to touch the metal frame of the box and arc the batteries. But two batteries are the design and specification, not one, so my advice is to get two.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
My former 1990 34’ Excella had two batteries, and I’m pretty sure a ‘92 does as well. I don’t remember the size. I did think wet maintenance batteries were a bit of a PITA, so I would advise maintenance free Deep Cycle or AGMs. The separate battery boxes are accessed from the exterior on the front of the trailer. You have to slide them in and out for maintenance. You will find the positive and negative top post style connections in each battery box. With top posts it was easy to touch the metal frame of the box and arc the batteries. But two batteries are the design and specification, not one, so my advice is to get two.

Yeah, that is definitely the way to go with the maintenance free deep cycle batteries.

I just read through the entire manual and it never says size of battery. Only says 12 V deep cycle battery. Don't want to get something too big that won't fit or work.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
2 batteries is more dangerous then one, if you will not be boondocking (camping without hookups) you are better off with one. A friend got a call from the person next to him in campground that he smelled a battery boiling out in his trailer and unplugged it. I was heading down to campground and he called and asked me to check it out, I got to the campground more then 3 hours after his trailer was unplugged and I couldn't hold my hand on the door to the "good" battery that still read 12.5 volts, the bad battery was about outside temp and read 9.5 volts. The converter was trying to get the average of the 2 batteries to about 14 volts and overcharging the "good" one.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
2 batteries is more dangerous then one, if you will not be boondocking (camping without hookups) you are better off with one. A friend got a call from the person next to him in campground that he smelled a battery boiling out in his trailer and unplugged it. I was heading down to campground and he called and asked me to check it out, I got to the campground more then 3 hours after his trailer was unplugged and I couldn't hold my hand on the door to the "good" battery that still read 12.5 volts, the bad battery was about outside temp and read 9.5 volts. The converter was trying to get the average of the 2 batteries to about 14 volts and overcharging the "good" one.

This trailer was designed, built and spec’d for two batteries. I’m not sure what happened in your one off example, but I’ve been around several owners of 34’ Excella’s, including 10 years ownership myself, and never had any issue like you are describing. The trailer was made for two batteries, not one.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 09-09-2022, 10:57 AM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
This trailer was designed, built and spec’d for two batteries. I’m not sure what happened in your one off example, but I’ve been around several owners of 34’ Excella’s, including 10 years ownership myself, and never had any issue like you are describing. The trailer was made for two batteries, not one.
Made 'for' two batteries or 'with' two batteries?

What in your trailer, or any other Excella from that era, needs two batteries to function? What systems in the trailer do you think require the second battery to function properly. I get it that one battery will have less capacity for dry camping, but the OP is planning to use this in one place always connected to shore power.

Two batteries were (and still are) a step above what entry-level trailers come equipped with. Airstream included them in many models to provide additional features to their trailers. I can't think of anything in one of the older models which won't work the same with one as with two, the only difference being how long it can do it if not plugged in.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota

Quote:
Made 'for' two batteries or 'with' two batteries?

What in your trailer, or any other Excella from that era, needs two batteries to function? What systems in the trailer do you think require the second battery to function properly. I get it that one battery will have less capacity for dry camping, but the OP is planning to use this in one place always connected to shore power.

Two batteries were (and still are) a step above what entry-level trailers come equipped with. Airstream included them in many models to provide additional features to their trailers. I can't think of anything in one of the older models which won't work the same with one as with two, the only difference being how long it can do it if not plugged in.

Spoiler alert, shore power is not 100% reliable. One example of battery usage, the heater blower motor on that trailer burns battery big time. It’s also 12v, and requires working batteries. One working battery will be drained in a few hours. At that point, no heat, no lights, no jack, no anything 12v. The OP states he wants to VRBO/AirBnB this trailer. I’d say one unhappy customer pays for the additional battery. When you’re dropping $14k on a $20k trailer, one additional battery should not be the budget breaker.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 09-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

redding , California
I bought my 93 Excella for$10K knowing we were going to do total makeover including new fridge, two new ACs, granite all surfaces, new converter, new curtains, flooring, paint, recliners, batteries, and now a polish job. Three months work on interior and 300-400 hours polishing or you spend $5K to $6K to have it professionally done. Still need to replace both axles due to age.
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote