Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Not sure that KISS solution will meet wide OCD approval . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #22
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Don't Get All the Fuss

Front to back levelling is a piece of cake. We just use a stick on level attached to the side of the trailer to get us close; then we go inside, open the refrigerator door. If it stays still when open, we're level front to back. Actually, we like to sleep slightly downhill in our Front Bedroom, so we level until the open bathroom door slowly swings to the back of the trailer. All this takes less than a minute and we're done which is why I don't get all the fuss about levelling: especially front to back.

P.S. Also, by leveling slightly downhill from the front bedroom, the open bathroom door will stay open and we can use it for a variety of purposes to partition the trailer: for noise reduction, e.g. when using both TV's; to keep the heat or air conditioning contained in the back of the trailer where we spend most of our time; and when taking showers, as a privacy partition.

This approach may be appealing to you minimalists (as in minimal effort and minimal stuff) out there.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought a pool cue ball to check level.
Plan A: Place the ball on the counter and see which way it rolls. Adjust.
Plan B: Toss the cue ball, it rolls no matter what!
Install Level Mate Pro and Husky 5000 jack with remote.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
. . .
. . . Also, by leveling slightly downhill from the front bedroom, the open bathroom door will stay open . . .
. . .
Exactly the right approach!

After we use the bathroom in the middle of the night, we go outside and lower the tongue, so that the bathroom door will close automatically.

To make sure of our adjustment, we then set up a builder's transit level, and take a dozen or so readings with the tape measure hooked on the bottom of the frame.

A perfect state of level is required . . . even in the middle of the night.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Funny story about level.

A week ago my wife noticed that the guy camped next to us had his stabilizers down while he unhooked his trailer. Yep, raised the tongue jack and then leveled the trailer with the stabilizers down.

My wife went outside to warn him of his error when his wife came out and started slamming the door. The door wouldn't close.

My wife said "Excuse me, excuse me . . . . " and the camper's wife said, "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize how much noise I was making!"

My wife said, "No, no, no I just wanted to tell your husband not to use the tongue jack with the stabilizers down. That's why your door won't close!"

My wife found out that they had rented the trailer (first time) for their trip.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #26

2018 27' International
Saint Joseph , Michigan
I pee in the toilet and see if the water level shows that the drain is centered. Sort of like a built in bubble level.

Helps to drink a couple of beers first so your urine is clear.
stjoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I bolted a aluminum angle to flat strip that encircles lp tanks at bottom

[strip is welded to a frame] then bolted a round reese level that has screw off cap with 2 levels 1 for front to back other level side to side, simply screw lid off level side to side if needed w/2x8 long enough to span both tires, front to back w/power jack. Very neat set up w/no hassle for leveling.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Glass with Beer Leveling Test... no peeing until done

Find a thick, tall clear glass with a flat bottom. Flat bottom is important to some...

Fill it with a cabonated cold beer of your choice. Can or bottled... either work. Needs to be cold. Not warm.

Drop a marble into the glass and look at it on the bottom. Rotate the glass so the marble is in the exact center. If not, too much foam and carbonation, drink an inch. Maybe three inches Measure to maintain accuracy. Clarity is important.

I try four inches, but I have a taller glass.

Followup ReTesting... find the marble. If it cannot be found... your beer did the job. The marble will cycle through your system... and can be reused with the next... test.

Again... try another Brand of Beer. Follow the previous instructions. After a few failures you will sleep well at any level. Problem solved. Leveling an Airstream is for Beer Drinkers... not for amateurs.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Hahaha. Now I am getting the answers I wanted! 🤣

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Well said

Well said without a Novel.

Poor girl had a reasonable Newbie question and got lectured out of the water with a book of me cave man life. Like you we use a small level on the counter and then test that with the interior doors. One knows instantly if ones head is lower than the feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I've found that you can drive yourself crazy chasing perfection, as mentioned above. I've used a 4-foot level to get my trailer as level as possible. That level will read perfectly level on the floor, but read something else on the countertop or on the dinette. I got my trailer as level as I could and I installed a LevelMate Pro. It makes the process super easy when I get to a campground, but I've learned not to chase .25" or .5" here and there. I get it as close as I can, and then I live with it. The bathroom door trick is a good one.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #31
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
51 seasons camping: Check and make the refer is level. Then place a torpedo level on the window sill of a window over the wheels and shim it to make it read level. Just look through the window to observe the bubble for future leveling. Use that as a reference level for everything else including a LevelMatePRO. If you haven't tried that, investigate it. It sure is handy on irregular campsites.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Your trailer (with the stabilizers down) is like a banana with the ends facing up and the middle down. Same trailer with the stabilizers up is still banana shaped, but now it's facing the other way. Measure "level" at either end of the trailer and you will get all sorts of answers. Neither end will ever match up with the center, except by accident.

Since the fridge isn't normally at either end, it really doesn't care what happens there. Indeed, other than drainage, the fridge can be way off level and still work fine. You will be rolling out of bed before the fridge stops doing it's thing.

If you are using something like a carpenters level or a phone, reverse it. Does it still tell you the same thing? If so, it's probably telling the truth.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Faulty Four Foot Level...

Five times I leveled our trailer. Level said it was off.

I took the level inside our home. Level said it was good and level.

I found a flat spot on the trailer's floor. Level said it was also, not level.

Faulty Level. I took it back to the hardware store and demanded a refund. "This Level Does Not Work."

The Clerk said. They always work. These are for simple minded people to use. I said OK. I put the Level on the Clerks Counter.

I got my refund, plus sales tax and was told to keep the Faulty Level.

(If you did not figure this out on your own... take your level back to where you purchased it. Some are beyond help. Like me.)

Today... the level was working in the Trailer. Perfectly level. Neanderthals are smarter than Human Beans.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Get a LevelMate Pro. Stop the guessing and frustration of figuring out how much to add or subtract from which side of your trailer, and the tongue jack. You’ll see all the details on your phone app from your TV. Super easy.
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Hahaha. Now I am getting the answers I wanted! ��
Back around the circle I guess!

"We're captive on the carousel of time . . . "
Where it stops . . . nobody knows!
Happy trials, [sic]
Peter
Old 06-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Leveling is an inexact science.
I took my torpedo level, checked the counter, table, floor, and fridge and guess what? None were the same. So, what is level? I like the microwave drawer to stay open and the bathroom door to do the same. Close is good enough. I make an adult beverage and sit at the table with the level and the remote for the Husky jack and trim fore and aft.
There's also some apps for your phone that give you a virtual bubble and they're handy also.
At some point, you no longer feel off level. Good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home-2014-02-2-diy-home-decor-0203-main.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	397690  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the Level mate PRO.

it connects to our phone

1st level side to side while connected
2nd disconnect TV and level front to back

this is all done BEFORE we enter the AS
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Five times I leveled our trailer. Level said it was off.

I took the level inside our home. Level said it was good and level.

I found a flat spot on the trailer's floor. Level said it was also, not level.

Faulty Level. I took it back to the hardware store and demanded a refund. "This Level Does Not Work."
I have a hardware story too, Ray:

I took my lamp with the frayed cord to the hardware store. I asked the man: can you fix my lamp and how much will it cost?

He started to tell me, in the minutest of details, how to fix the lamp.

After 5 minutes or so, with no end in sight, I thanked him and took my lamp and left.

You know what I think is clever?

When people actually listen to the question, and answer the actual question.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ideal:
Both the microwave drawer and the bathroom door stay open.
That's a very narrow window.